Does profanity have a place poetry?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Steele Fields profile image70
    Steele Fieldsposted 13 years ago

Does profanity have a place in poetry? I'm sorry, but in reading many contemporary published poets, I am shocked by their employment of extremely profane words like c***t, etc.  Personally, I don't find this poetically acceptable.  Likewise,when exposed to most rap music, the preponderance of vulgarity negates whatever appreciation I might glean from it, and all the intricate word play, inventive rhyme and sophisticated meter become lost on me.  After all, English is an iambic, Germanic language-- one that lends itself to rhyme and to meter.  It's not rocket science. But doing it well takes a certain panache.  So why cheapen it? I understand it's a hard world and artists need to explore the ugliness.  The question is, in this "anything goes" society, are profane words and crude sentiments fair poetic game or do they serve only to cheapen and pollute the spirit and nature of poetry?

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

I guess poetry is just moving right along with all our other cultural changes…  Who knows when the pendulum will start swinging back the other way.

3. Jaggedfrost profile image61
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

If swearing and cursing we could lay our wares here before the world without censure or disdain from our fellows who read us then there would be a place here for it if nowhere else but by majority rule, or mods overlordship (which ever gives you a better reason to gripe)  this is a moot subject and the answer is no.

Steele Fieldsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was not referring to poetry posted on Hub Pages.  I was referring to poetry in general.

4. The Suburban Poet profile image82
    The Suburban Poetposted 13 years ago

In general I would say no to this... but I'm have no education in poetic structure so who am I to say? Poetry brings to mind a certain level of genteelness but I've written a few that are very aggressive and accusatory; not in keeping with a tea and a Polo match. I've refrained from the use of profanity because I personally feel it's too easy to use. But I don't think the use of profanity should automatically disqualify one's work as poetry. It would have to be judged on it's whole message and delivery.

5. ShazzMojo profile image66
    ShazzMojoposted 13 years ago

Poetry is more than just what we're spoon fed in highschool, or (more commonly) what we read in Hallmark cards.

Every word has a place in our world, even the naughty ones. If you want to elicit a visceral response, there's nothing better than a good curse word.

In general, however, I think that crass swearing generally indicates a lack of creativity and originality, so make it count!

6. Tirzah Laughs profile image60
    Tirzah Laughsposted 13 years ago

Profanity has its place.  Like a surgeon's scalpel you use it carefully and cleanly to make a point.

I don't believe in ever forbidding anything.

That being said, if almost every word in your poem is profane then the words stop having any meaning.

You dilute the shock of it and make it moot.

So use your swear words carefully.

Tirz

Maybe it does have its place-- but I think the shock method has worn a bit thin by now.  Hell, it was already old news back when Jim Morrison was doing it.  There's a saying:  "Profanity is the common crutch of the conversational cripple."

7. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I'd say profanity could possibly have a place in poetry - it all depends on what the poet is trying to say, and, of course, if it's overused (as in your rap example) the meaning behind the poem would disappear and leave it meaningless.

8. aware profile image67
    awareposted 13 years ago

i was gona say sure it dose. but the you broke out the c word. lol

9. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Sure.  Poetry is done for many reasons, using many venaculars.  It would be bizarre to say that no legit poetry could every use a swear word.

10. b. Malin profile image67
    b. Malinposted 13 years ago

My first reaction would be to say no.  But as a writer, sometimes the piece may require it to be a bit more colorful, and so if profanity helps.....I say go for it.  But if it is just used for sensationalism, to get a "rise" out of the reader....Don't do it....for then I think it's a cop out on what could be a really good piece of poetry.

11. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Everything is for use in poetry; profanity is part of the daily language of some people, even most people.  If you want your poem to 'talk' to f**king w**kers then you might need to include those kind of words in your poem - or a poem about a bankers meeting might want to include 'a wunch of bankers' or other explicit words, and lawyers just demand profanity - a poem about politicians could be just one pile of profanity - and it could still be art and a good poem.

12. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

The FCC is currently debating changing the status of the F word.  As a sexual connotation they say it is profane, but when used as an expression of anger, they say it is acceptable.  We learn the story or history of a generation or era by looking at the art which it created.  What will they say in the future about who we are today?

13. profile image0
    ssbrookhaven65posted 13 years ago

Poetry is meant to be an expressive art and tool. Poetry is therapeutic. While it is not completely my style, I don't condemn those who express themselves in their unique way. Controversy is good because it makes you think. Poetry is destructive in its interpretation. I think it is important to look past what is on paper and to look ahead in to the abstraction of the lyrics. Does profanity make poetry good? No. Does a lack of it make poetry good? No. The abstraction and the ability to provoke thought does.

14. Jaggedfrost profile image61
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

In all seriousness, the only clever way I can think of to use profanity is if you comprehend the etymology and actual meaning of the word you are using and use it as a word instead as a place holder for feelings and emotions that have other forms of expression which communicate better and get a more reasoned response.   In the long run, a man who curses is a dime a dozen and if I want my dozen I have only to go to the nearest out house at a construction site and at least they are trying to be clever.  Their apparent lack of talent even makes it seem charming.

15. Petra Vlah profile image59
    Petra Vlahposted 13 years ago

Using profanities only proves the limited imagination of a writer; there are much better and creative ways to convey the message

I couldn't agree more, Petra.

16. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

I find the idea that every single use of profanity it due to stupidity to be profoundly condescending.

A recent poetry reading I went included a performance poem about the way women can be degraded and abused.  She used the 'c' word and its use was central and vital to her message.  *Not* using it would have been ridiculous in that context.

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely right - the use of profanity is sometimes essential for some poetry ideas.  The condemnation of profanity in a poem is all about moralising and not about art.  It is about the 'not seeing' that poetry often attempts to address.

17. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I'm not particularly a fan of resorting to being vulgar in any form of writing; but having said that, I can see how profanity may have a "place" in poetry at times. 

My personal thinking goes back to what a high-school English teacher of mine used to say, "Profanity is the crutch of the verbally crippled."  I think the best writers can say what needs to be said without resorting to that "crutch". Since not all writers are all that skilled, though, and I do think the use of profanity pretty much says that about the writer.  Still - does it have a place?  Sure.  Why not.  The world of writing, or writing poetry, is open to everyone - not just people who can paint an ugly picture without using profanity.   hmm

18. Ginger Meow profile image67
    Ginger Meowposted 13 years ago

I agree Lisa, sometimes when I am writing poems it is too easy to slip into profanity. If a poem is heading down south I find it a challenge to try and get a similar meaning across without the use of profanity. But sometimes if I think the poem is great with its vulgar descriptions I keep it and I don't publish it here on hubpages. Some poems are better kept to yourself.

Profanity for me is the use of swear words and descriptions of adult content.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)