Is God a racist?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (57 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I was just watching something off of Channel 4 here in the UK. They had on one of those 5 minute films filmed by a member of the public (presumably). This one had a guy on talking about racism in religion and he poses that God is, if he exists, a racist. Of course my first reaction was to feel appalled, this is a pretty inflammatory thing to say! His argument used the racism that happened with apartheid in South Africa being implemented by religion as one proof, the global poverty of darker skinned populations (from Haiti, to the whole of the African continent) as another proof.

I think perhaps it would be more apt to say that religion facilitates racism and other concepts that separate humanity and cause harm.  It kinda makes me think of the episode of the simpsons where Lisa tricks Homer and Bart into thinking they have leprosy and Bart says "why would god punish a kid, I mean an american kid?". I guess you could say that I do not agree with this argument but I can see how this guy could come to that conclusion. What do you guys think?

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course god (whether real or a metaphor) is racist, it feeds the division within people by that all others not in its club are 'other' - it is also the basis of its homophobia.

The same applied to the southern code of 'honour' between 'gentlemen' without it slavery could not have been sustained.

2. StevenPayne profile image61
      StevenPayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To say God is a racist and then in the same sentence foggy up the question with whether He is real or not makes the question that much more difficult to answer doesnt it? I mean if we are to say He is and refer to the Christian God, Jesus' Father, than we should be basing His character on what the bible says it is since this is where we sould understand it from in the first place unless you are willing to say He is a real being that wishes to have personal contact with us and then base His character from that relationship.
      Any other thoughts on whether or not god as an entity of another religion or being entirly is real up to your own conclusions i guess. The issue of God, gods or other being in a divine like control, in my opinion, is only worth considering if that God, gods or other is completely better than we are. Whats the worth of a being with unlimited power if He/it is corrupt as we are. Is God a racist...........

2. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

God, racist!

Absolutely!!

He only loves ONE race. Only ONE.

The human race. big_smile

kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good reply!

I have actually heard scientific statements about the whole race thing being made up and scientifically speaking not really something that exists, at least not the way we talk about it.

3. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm not religious but I can see two flaws in your theory:

1. According to the Bible, the jews were god's chosen people. Yet they went through many trials and tribulations. Doesn't that mean dark colored people are more highly considered than whites?

2. Adam was created in god's image. According to quite a few sources, he was a dark brown or red color. This means god is dark brown or red, not white.

1. aka-dj profile image64
      aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's your ideas in points 1 & 2 that are theory.
      It's mere speculation.
      But, to follow through on the thought,
      All of mankind came from Adam, so we are all of his genetic makeup.

Gene pools have changed us into what we are today
      due mostly to physical separation for generations.
      A minor difference. (genetically speaking).

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what gene pools?  If we all came from adam and eve (and narrow gene pool), everyone would look like brothers and sisters - not much variation at all

Iceland.

1. WryLilt profile image89
            WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well according to scientists, one of them had to be darker skinned. Dark skinned people can have white babies but not vice versa.

2. hanging out profile image60
          hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

moreso from noahs 3 sons, shem, japheth, and ham. Apparently shem married a woman from cains lineage, mara, i think it was ham.

2. kirstenblog profile image78

Just wanted to point out, its not my theory but one I saw on a mini tv thing that they do on Channel 4 here between 'real' shows that really grabbed my attention.

3. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If God's chosen are any indication, you better run if you find out he likes you.

4. thirdmillenium profile image59
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

No,he does not own a car nor a motorcycle. He doesn't take part in races

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He drives a car, a bus, and an airliner. He walks and runs. He rides a bike, and swims the channel. He rises to the occassion, He hides openly in the shadows, he is the winning horse and he is the losing horse, he is every horse in the race. He owns my car, your car, every car. He is the storm AND the aftermath. Told me so just yesterday. Couldn't get him off the subject. He isn't racist. He picks on everyone.

5. thirdmillenium profile image59
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Johnny mathis' immortal lines:

And all of this happens because the world is waiting,
    Waiting for one child
    Black, white, yellow, no-one knows
    But a child that will grow up and turn tears to laughter,
    Hate to love, war to peace and everyone to everyone's neighbour
    And misery and suffering will be words to be forgotten, forever

6. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Historical and biblical evidence shows He prefers Greek people...

it's more of a cultural than a racial thing

I'm sure he likes all you guys too

1. BDazzler profile image77
      BDazzlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gee Whiz Greek thanks!

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bless you

7. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

that was just a stupid comment you heard and ridiculous. No, God is not racist.

8. BDazzler profile image77
    BDazzlerposted 13 years ago

It is only recently, that we recognized racism as "wrong" and I will go so far as to say that we still haven't gotten "right" what's "wrong" with racism.  Right now screaming "racist" at someone is just another way of showing  hatred. So, as a society, we're still not there.  Men are still judged by the color of their skin and not the content of their character.

Prior to the civil rights movement of the 60s racism was "just the way things are".

Of course, racism, in the west was the justification for slavery. It was John Newton, the writer of the song "Amazing Grace" who understood that slavery was something God detested, especially in the form practiced by Europeans and white Americans.  This form of slavery was particularly dehumanizing because it was based on race and intended to keep generations enslaved (as compared to the Roman institution of slavery which was more of a behavioral/military issue with proscribed ways "out" of slavery, race was not involved).

It was Newton's love for God and his knowledge that God hated the dehumanization of men (because of race) that led Newton to be a major force in the anti-slavery PR campaign in which a picture of a slave in chains was shown with the slogan "Is he not a man? And our brother?"

This lead to the abolition of slavery in England.

One of the earliest criticisms of racism  is found in the story of the Good Samaritan.  The hatred between the Judeans and the Samaritans was primarily racial, and the idea that one should love a Samaritan as oneself was offensive. And yet God, though Jesus said we were to do so.

So ... For those who believe that Jesus was God on Earth, the question of God's racism has been answered explicitly, God is anti-racist.

I would like to point out here that the God of Abraham clearly states the obedience required of a slave and the treatment of slaves. No matter how you divide us into masters and slaves, be it skin colour, religion, economic status whatever, slavery is slavery, its profiting off the hard work of another unfairly. The point is the God of Abraham did not stand against slavery in clear terms but instead had rules for it which seems nuts. The point is slavery is wrong and yet there are biblical requirements for the obedience of slaves! Cannot be against something and for it at the same time ya know. This is why I found the argument I saw so compelling, I could see why this guy was making the argument he was making even if I don't feel totally comfortable agreeing with it.

It is absolutely true that despite our instance to the contrary, God was not and is not a 21st century American (European etc.) and the bible is absolutely not written from our historical and cultural point of view.

Either deliberately, or inadvertently we frequently impose our cultural and historical view points on the conclusions we make from what we read and observe.

1. J.R. Smith profile image58
          J.R. Smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Tell me where that is. I'd like to look it up and read it myself. I found where it speaks of servants, and the obedient lifestyle HE requires for those who serve him. Is it in Genesis?

On the cultural thing?  I'm assuming you were replying to the same message I replied to...

Here's a link to a concordance topic of Servants:

http://www.biblestudytools.com/concorda … vants.html

2. StevenPayne profile image61

@kirstenblog, i think the the whole slave and master thing had more to do with trusting in God, I agree that it just seems crazy to think that God would be ok with it but if you read the story of exodus, God called Moses to lead the people into a 3 day prayerfest so to speak because they had forgotten who they were after centurys of slavery to the egyptions. It was only after debating and God hardening Pharoahs heart that it became, "let my people go".
        I dont think he agrees with slavery nor does he stand for it but if it were encouraged for the slaves to try and become free under their own power it could be more devistating then benificial. They might have been just simply cut down in numbers so severely that the jews might have just stoned Moses when he showed up on the seen suggesting a "break" from their lives as slaves in fear of more death.

1. StevenPayne profile image61

*spelling errors*

2. pylos26 profile image69
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

But Newton was only an apple watcher.

I thought newton was a fig cookie.

1. pylos26 profile image69
          pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

HoHoHO...U2...

9. J.R. Smith profile image58
    J.R. Smithposted 13 years ago

God is only interested in white people.

10. iantoPF profile image79
    iantoPFposted 13 years ago

about 15 years ago a Christian friend of ours bought our son a children's Bible. The illustrations were very interesting. Jesus was blonde and blue eyed, his disciples had dark hair and Judas had exagerated Jewish features, long hook nose etc. It made me realise that God is made in the image of man. Most illustrations I've seen of the God of the old teastament are not much different than illustrations of Odin. and the devil never looks like a viking.
    So if you believe in the manifest destiny of the White race then your god is very white. If you are Jewish then god is a Jew and speaks only Hebrew. If you are a member of the nation of Islam then god is 100% African.
    god is always racist, his biases are along the lines of whoever happens to be down on their knees at the time.
    Truth is, He speaks only Welsh, drinks home brew beer, (Water into wine was a scandalous rumour, it was beer) and he plays a mean game of darts. When his wife lets him out that is. He welcomes everyone with open arms but he's not that keen on the English.

11. J.R. Smith profile image58
    J.R. Smithposted 13 years ago

Given his geography, Jesus cannot be blond with white skin. makes no sense. When I stated that he is only interested in white people, I was playing. The white is as white as snow,something we cannot attain on our own. The bible was written for all. This is very clear throughout the bible. God does love white people, but it's not caucasian. It's the white you only get by getting under the blood of his son, an olive-skinned, brunnette jew.

12. Master Life profile image61
    Master Lifeposted 13 years ago

God is love (unconditional)! He loves all people, he just don't like everyones lifestyle.

13. hanging out profile image60
    hanging outposted 13 years ago

God may not be a racist as the term goes.
                    ....But....
    He did have a son whom people need to be in good standing with in order to avoid the lake of fire.
         He has never rescinded that the jews were His chosen people, in fact when he returns he will go to israel.

He sees basically two kinds of people
           saved..................unsaved

and will put each where each belongs

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

he had a chosen race that were allowed to kill and take the land of other races - sounds racist and sounds like Hitler too

1. hanging out profile image60
        hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

give us your happy face

14. getitrite profile image72
    getitriteposted 13 years ago

This is the Jesus that everyone, including people of color, worship.  Can't understand why people of color are so blind to this.

This is one of the main reasons I don't have any interest in religion.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/mackings69/th_jesus.jpg

This is NOT the Jesus I worship.

It's a Catholic icon/picture.

Looks too religious for me.

He was a "man's MAN".

1. Rishy Rich profile image72
        Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

u mean Gay?

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61
        Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

getitrite, It is not the Jesus I worship. I don't put any icon pictures of Jesus on the walls in my home. How do you know what Jesus look like?

15. RevolveR profile image59
    RevolveRposted 13 years ago

Since the story of Cain (dark & bad ) & Abel (blond & good) as depicted in religious books, everything is about racism in this world. You're aware since childhood.  But as God is a very clever guy, his racism is subtly shown in a subliminal way.

16. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

religious god cannot help than being biased and at times racist...my people , my community are product of human thought and humans implement them in form of religion ...humans define religious god and so human's god acts like human...

17. exPastor profile image58
    exPastorposted 13 years ago

How do you people know what Jesus looked like?
    There were no pictures in the Bible. How can you say this one is right over the other?

given his geography, you have to assume he was olive-skinned with dark features under 6' tall. This idea of a white Jesus with long straight brown hair is absurd.He is often depicted as taller as well.

18. Rajab Nsubuga profile image60
    Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years ago

I think the question should be rephrased to state that, 'Is religion racist? Because God does not come with religion. Religion only helps to "shape" the understand of "God."

That is probably the clearest response I've seen yet.

19. maruthirp profile image60
    maruthirpposted 13 years ago

I dont think people discussing taking the exact meaning of the racist. The discussions are diverted taking the meaning wrongly.

20. profile image58
    exorterposted 13 years ago

Moses married a Black woman, Moses sisters made fun of the color of Moses' wife. God struck the sisters with leprosy 
    that does not sound like racist to me

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmmm-  nice god !   you woz laughing at my mates missus - catch a dose of this, that'll teach you !

2. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

@exorter struck with leprosy for laughter?...god didn't believe in non violent ways or less harmful ways during those days?

where's that? Exodus,I assume?

Numbers 12

Thanks.That sure does shed some light on God's racism,doesn't it? All through the bible it is told that his love is for all. Still,very interesting.

Racial distinction at it's core, is essentially about family trees.  The various "ites" in the OT are descended from a particular individual for example the Cushites were decended from Cush.

Racial distinction is simply an observation of characteristics of a particular family line.  Racisim is the use of racial distinction to justify the unfair treatment of one family line at the expense of another. 

I think most people don't understand the difference between racial distinction, cultural impact of race, values as a function of culture and racism.

1. BL Tween profile image60
                BL Tweenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God made man from the earth, dirt,
                how many different colors of earth, dirt are there?

God love us all, you, me, we . . . the human race.

Interesting perspective.  There's a poetic symmetry to it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)