Do you like Haunted houses?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)
  1. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

Halloween is just a few days from now, and I was wondering how many of you might spend time at your local Haunted house, or have you ever been to one?

I am not talking about the scarey house on your block, I'm talking about those places you pay to be scared. Like taking a trip through the Haunted Mantion at Disneyworld.

I am currently working at an outdoor haunted house to raise money for charity as a volunteer. It's actually pretty cool, it starts with a ride on a wagon, and then the locals are set off on foot through our haunted trail. I am dressed as Jason from Friday the 13th. And, it is a blast scaring people.

So far the greatest thing that has come out of this, is that an 11 year old boy came running up to me wanting to know if I was the real Jason, and that he thought I was totally cool. I shook his hand, and sent him on his way. How cute was that.

I went to a really good haunted house when I was 11. It was called "The House Of Dark Shadows." And, that place was very cool, and made the guy who owned it very rich. I am even thinking of openning my own haunted house some day.

1. KristenGrace profile image61
      KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, the Philadelphia area has a ton of great places to go for anyone who likes to be scared.  I've been to some decent ones!! I love when I'm genuinely scared of something!  tongue

2. mmoeller profile image60
      mmoellerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love going to them, but haven't in quite a while, as my 2 kids 5.5 and 4 years old are not quite ready for them.  Portland and the surrounding vicinity gets a lot that pop up from time to time, as well as a lot of haunted farmhouses and barns in the outskirts.

I've seen a haunted corn maze advertised before, and definitly want to check that out at some point.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

..yea, love them....my house is actually considered the haunted house on the block too!!!!!!! lol  for years now......ooooohhhhh....scary!...

3. Kidgas profile image63
    Kidgasposted 13 years ago

Love going to haunted houses.  Go to a haunted hayride in my home town as well.  It is always a blast watching the kids get scared and being scared myself.  Plus some of the proceeds go to a good cause.

4. brimancandy profile image78

I am going back to work on the Haunted trail this weekend. We have had some really severe weather here in Michigan over the last couple days, so I am hoping that a lot of the props are still in place. 90 percent of the stuff is outside.

We may have to rebuild a lot of it, but, hoping that we will have it all up and running by the time the bigger crowds start arriving on friday and Saturday. That is if they can brave the cold. IT's only going to be in the mid 30's at night.

But, like I mentioned, half the proceeds are going to charity.
    So, wish us luck on getting a decent turnout. And, thanks for the replies.

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

We went to the Mysterious Mansion in Gatlinburg a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty cool - a neat old 3-story Victorian house with secret passageways and tunnels.

1. brimancandy profile image78
      brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is that the one that owner added all kinds of crazy rooms, stairyways to nowhere, and tunnels to confuse the ghosts, because they thought it was haunted? Or, is it a regular haunted house, with people in costume?

6. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

Yeah I love them. Spooky World has some, it's in New England.
    I love the original ones, made by schools, etc with stuff you don't expect to happen...vampires, etc

cool

7. brianzen profile image61
    brianzenposted 13 years ago

Not a fan.

8. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

I'd just like a house hmm

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good answer!

9. Jaynie2000 profile image84
    Jaynie2000posted 13 years ago

I do love them, but I prefer creating them to touring them. I'm kind of a chicken, but I love to scare other people. We've had the coolest haunts in the neighborhood for years. Apparently you can hear the screams from as far as four blocks away. To be fair, I warn all the neighbors in advance and bring them homemade cookies for their patience. ( -:
    Thank goodness they are amazing people who also love our children!

10. Huntgoddess profile image68
    Huntgoddessposted 13 years ago

We had a really marvelous one in Pittsburgh --- on the North Side, from whence all good things originate. LOL

It was so scary, a bunch of little girls were hanging on my boyfriend --- back, front and sides --- all the way through. I couldn't figure out where all the screams were coming from, until the end, when we walked outside. They were still clinging to him, and screaming.

Where I live now, folks tend to be very reserved.
    That can be a good thing, at times, but not so fun when they shush you at the Halloween Haunted House.

They don't even allow screaming. What fun is that?

Sheesh!

I never went back.

11. brimancandy profile image78

Work wrapped up on the Haunted trail Saturday night. We only had 21 people come through, which was kind of a let down. Plus, 6 of our volunteers decided to go to other parties, and did not show up. But, there were so many other events going on, that we weren't that shocked by the low turnout. But, we sure got some good laughs.

We had a very long pitch black tunnel, and I'll never forget this one lady, who was dancing in fear in front of the entrance to the tunnel, saying how if she went in there she was going to wet her pants. So, this other guy comes along and whips out a flashlight, and they run through the tunnel, with me hot on their tail yelling you cheaters! Scared them good.

Also had a group of guys go through, who really got nailed by our Texas Chainsaw guy. He was supposed to scare them at one spot, but his chainsaw died, so he went and got the fill in, and
    followed them, up into an area where we have blinder lights near a bridge, and he nailed them. One of the guys, yells out, damn what you trying to do make me crap my pants! You scared the BLEEP out me you bleeping..bastard!  Then they all just laughed the rest of the way through.

We did have one young lady who wet her pants when the chainsaw guy jumped out at her group. Then she got nailed again by the insane truck driver. (A pickup truck in the dark, that turns on it's lights and blares it's horn, just as you are in front of it in another pitch black tunnel.) That one really freaked a lot of people out. But, our host says, when someone wets their pants, it just means we did a good job.

Afterwards, I went to the Halloween party at the Dunes bar. It was packed to the walls. I never seen so many awesome Halloween costumes, and there was well over 500 people there. So, I had a really good time. Halloween is always fun at the Dunes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)