What do you do when the weather is too cold for you?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (58 posts)
  1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

My feet are cold, literally, I have heater, at times I don't like to go out. It is getting colder again, yes it gets cold here too in TX, plus the cold November rains at times and windy outside now...
    I miss going to the park anytime of the day, I walk every am too, now am lazy to do that bec it is colder. I am missing the warmer days now, too early..

I am just thinking about the people who stays in much colder areas? I feel for you, sending all the warmth I can give after I am warmed up...

Share your thoughts and give some warmth to others!!!

1. pisean282311 profile image61
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well i can't answer this on public forum...on serious notes cold in place where i stay means 8 degree Celsius...

prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what about? 43 F here in the mornings, it gets warmer during the day..that is 6 C

thats cold..well i wont like to leave bed...

I need to get up and clean eat and walk exercise routine every am (can't do that now), pm -- need to work so so that I can eat...

well i hardly see temperature below 10...on average winter means 15-20 degrees...in dec or jan at times it falls to 8 or 7 but only for few days...

that is good then, and Tx is down South, how much more to the Northern part in N. America or Europe or Aus far down south,...

well i guess tx is known by everyone in the world...your state gave one of most influential person of all time...bush...

I follow more Jessica Simpson than him, jk

Tx is interesting because there are more cultural exchange here, food is good and there are more cowgirls..plus cowboys. I have never seen one though..my neighbor maybe , he keeps on saying he is a redneck, his neck is white LOL...

2. H.C Porter profile image80
      H.C Porterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

open the curtains to let the sun shine in- turn on the heater- light the fire- make some stew and read a book to the kiddos who are cozy in three layers of clothing... i love the cold/ hate the heat, so have no wonderful advice... Good Luck smile

hi Holly, yes, that reminds me I need to buy a new set of curtains, lighter in color so that light will come in too.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Brandy smile

brandy ok not in the morning though. Last time I experimented with Texas margarita -- I combine beer, tequila, orange juice and Triple sec.

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

It gets bitterly cold here in the winter - not freezing but maybe 6C inside my house, which is way too low for comfort.
    I just have to keep typing with frozen fingers. It's hard because it takes longer to type but what else can I do?
    Oh and I use my laptop that overheats to help warm my hands..

thats cold for me too. I drink coffee, then noodles. I feel warmer, just did that..

4. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

It is now below freezing every morning, here in WY, not that it is that cold yet... 

But when it gets cold, I set the heaters in the house at 65-70 degrees, and wear shoes when I go outside.  The tank tops have been replaced by long sleeve t-shirts and eventually, the sweaters will come out.  Wool socks are the best for keeping the body warm, but may be too bulky for some shoes.

When the kids go out to play, for more than 1/2 an hour, I make them dress up in snow clothes.  We currently have several inches on the ground, and if I don't make them dress up, they get soaked. 

When my husband is home, he keeps the wood stove going.  I like to bake in the winter, because it puts a little extra heat in the air and smells good.

They say the fingerless gloves are great for keeping warm and still being able to work.  The claim is that they keep you nearly as warm as full gloves, because they keep your wrists, a heat point, warm.

I will look for the fingerless gloves. Must be colder in your area than here, thanks for replying.

5. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

"What do you do when the weather is too cold for you?"

A good woman...

hmm nice idea, a good man then..

6. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

that's why I live in Florida! cool

although temperatures below 50 F feel cold to me. but it's bearable. we light a fire in the fireplace, wear sweaters and boots and scarves just like those in northern climates, 
    and know it won't last too long.. at least it stays sunny!

sending some sunshine and warmth~~

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqTUMyRC6l90irwhhoZZMsFCY0jSK1GLcvmdGQ4zyW_QgIzfET

Thanks Ms Rebekkah, I like the photo image and the idea of boots - I have one and I feel comfortable when wearing it, not used to it. I like the idea of scarves, I have some.

7. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I have fleece-y, cuddly stuff for cold weather. A fleece head band designed to cover my ears, A fleece and cotton tube thing-y to keep my neck warm, I can work in fingerless gloves so I have them too, and of course there are fleece blankets to snuggle under (notice any sort of trend here?). With the neighbours downstairs having the heating on and good warm gear we have not had to turn the heating on yet this year smile

fleece head band sounds good kirsten!

8. Princessa profile image82
    Princessaposted 13 years ago

If I am at home I just stay in bed... lol
    I am both too lazy and too cold to get out of bed when is dark and cold, so just bring my laptop with me and spend all day warm and cozy under the covers!

Las week I was in England -the lake district- it was freezing.  When we arrived they needed a man an a lady to push open the Hotel's door.  Honestly I felt like staying in bed the whole weekend but the children and husband push me out to do our lake tour bbbrrrrrr.  Did you ever think your fingers could fall off with the cold once your nails are blue???  Next time I'll visit during the summer smile

Hi Princessa, Oh that was cold for your nails to fall. I noticed that too. What I don't like about in the cold season is that I am already a sleepy head and it takes some time for me to really get up, Love sleeping it through.

Good for you, you had an early vacation.

9. Victress In All profile image71
    Victress In Allposted 13 years ago

Nobody mentioned tea yet?  In winter months, I drink a lot of tea to keep warm.  You can't over-dose on the caffein in green tea smile  Also, move around inside the house.  I've noticed that relying on my laptop to warm up will only do so for my lap.  Walking up and down the stairs will improve your circulation. Besides, better brain circulation could mean better productivity:  you might come up with a new and interesting hub idea!smile

1. profile image0
      Germaine Reillyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I definitely drink more tea in the winter too and wrap both hands round the mug to get warm:) It's about 5C most days in Dublin now, which is fine - gets me walking quicker when I'm out!

I will try the tea, and yes I also put my hands on my coffee mug. I will alternate coffee with tea.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63

I have pair of socks until my knees to keep my feet warmer too, I put that on awhile ago, I am scared of cold bec. my body is so thin. I don't drink tea, but I bought a pack which I will try, I bought it at Asian store here.

10. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Hello, summer birds,what about living in Canada? Actually this year in Toronto it is still warm, relatively, no snow, no frost, temperature between 10C during day time and +1C at night or they keep promising -1C. For me +temperature means it is not cold. I wear short sleeved jacket and a blouse at my work(we have central heating, don't we?) and my apartment is too hot for me - around+25C, so all windows and sometimes a balcony door are open still. I like when it's cold actually. Not like   -20C with wind of course, but around -3,-5C it's okay. I feel that it is cold outside, but I don't feel like I am personally uncomfortable with it, I like it. I feel more energy and easy to breathe. Of course, when it  is below zero outside - you need warm clothing, preferably natural, like wool and cotton, gloves,hats and warm boots! And warm food in the morning, not just coffee! Empty stomach does not like cold weather.

Ok, I will eat little more than I am eating then. Whew, must be cold up there. That is cold, LOL.

11. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I go outside and cry until my tears freeze... then i rip the little ice droplets off my face.

The warm burning sensation gives me momentary relief

LOL, Greek One i am glad to see you again here..

@Cags, thanks to you,,

12. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Dress warmer and take other steps to remain warm at home. wink

1. destiny357 profile image60
      destiny357posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Either dress really warm if I have to go out or I cuddle up on the couch and watch movies or read a good book...I don't like cold weather!

13. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

Victoria (Australia), and certainly our State capital, Melbourne, are known for unpredictable weather.

November of course is the end of our spring. Yesterday it was 27C here. Today it is 13C.

Mind you, I have seen it snow in inner suburban Melbourne in November. Yes - real snow!

Despite living 45 minutes from the Victorian Alps and snowfields, it rarely gets "too cold" for me to go outdoors.

If it is cold and wet, I will sit in front of the fire and read a good book, or bring the radiator into the study and spend the day writing.

Nice idea, and I yes I remember a friend telling me about uncertain weather in different parts of Aus. When I went to Aus, in Canberra and Sydney, it is September to October so it is comfortable weather nearing the summer season in those areas.

14. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

I hate winter and i know its comming. I think I saw snow flakes today......

15. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

fire in the fireplace, extra layers of soft clothes, socks, slippers, and if all else fails get in the bed with a blanket, comforter, nice hat on to keep the warmth in, read or crochet an afghan to keep me even warmer.  don't like cold, but I really can't complain - here it doesn't get below 0 and seldom below 10 F   We are spoiled, usually the pattern is 3 or 4 days of rain and then 3 or 4 of sun all winter.  we keep the house fairly cool because of the exorbitant charges for heat - and hate to run out of wood.  Pretty comfy actually!

Hi mega, I also put extra layers of clothes, makes me  a little bit bigger and yes comfortable.

16. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61
    Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years ago

It sounds a ferry tale to me; Zero degrees! Do you guys use refrigerators during winter?

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I must, neighbors might steal my food if I dig it into the snow big_smile

17. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4123410_f248.jpg

18. salt profile image61
    saltposted 13 years ago

you can exercise inside if its too cold... will improve circulation etc...

19. salt profile image61
    saltposted 13 years ago

Im pretty grateful for the cold weather in melbourne recently. Our dams need water. Our gardens were partched, older people have been carrying buckets of water from their sinks to water their gardens and South Australia and our rivers have been depleted by the on going "blue sky".

I love queensland, I love sydney, but I know melbourne in winter is melbourne. Australian weather is not always as it says on the set of Neighbours.

If the global sea temperature rises by another 2 degrees, none of us will be here. Japan is already the hottest nation on the planet and Maritus will be underwater.

I feel grateful for our cooler days and prefer a bit of rainfall to a desalination plant that costs more to run that it can produce and will decimate the first level of the aquatic food chain in the area!!! Effecting our fishing industries, our recreational fishing, the food stock for whales and other magnificent sea creatures.

Its time to cherish our planet and our seasons!!!!

20. salt profile image61
    saltposted 13 years ago

In fact, maybe youd even like to do a rain dance!!!

21. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

I work on a tourist ship on the Rhine, which involves working outside - catering to guests in summer, and doing repairs etc. in winter. The colder it gets, the more clothes I wear. It's always colder on the river, so it's a good idea to work as hard as possible to keep warm.
    I wear summer clothes at home (jeans and t-shirt), so the heating is usually on full blast during cold weather.

22. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...i chuckled at some of the posts about how cold some of you are...

...heck! I lived in an area that would dip to -40C...and thought at one point that -25C was okay for outdoor activities....it was actually the best temp for dogsledding....fur works really well for that kind of cold.....so cold that when you walked all you could hear was the squeek, squeek sound of the cold, cold snow beneath your boots lol...i actually miss it sometimes.....i should write a hub on it...when -15C rolled around, i'd be getting rid some of my heavy winter gear and feelin' like spring was in the air...with lighter clothes on...my boots were able to handle
    -80C!  lol

...now I live where I can ride my motorcyle all year round...I ride as long the temp doesn't dip below say 3C...i plug in my electric jacket and blast on down the road lol...can't go dogsledding anymore though...miss that too!

23. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Ah...the good old Canadian winter eh?  I guess we have a tendency to gloat a bit, at braving such cold temps from time to time.  Not that we're calling the rest of you temperate dwellers 'weenies' or nothin'. big_smile

Actually it doesn't get that cold much anymore.  Maybe for a week or two in January or February.  You just need to dress accordingly (in layers).

I don't mind the freezing cold, as long as it's not really windy as well.  In that case, you just walk with your back against the wind..backwards if you have to. big_smile  It makes you brave and rugged, you know..or something. neutral

Hi SOH smile

1. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Fly south, bird. Brain

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...ha ha....Timorous...yep Canadian winters....i was remembering my time in the Territories....long, cold, dark winters...can't believe i even miss them sometimes...and it's still like that up there.....

24. c521 profile image59
    c521posted 13 years ago

Haha timorous your reply made me laugh - Chicagoans tend to gloat about braving harsh Chicago winters too!

This might sound so bizarrely random, but I've tried it myself and it works: whenever my feet are super cold, I sprinkle some red pepper flakes into a pair of socks and put them on. Your feet will be toasty and warm in seconds!

I'm also a fan of hot cups of tea (or hot cocoa! But mostly tea) to warm me up.

Also, if I get home super cold or drenched (from rain or snow), I like to take a hot shower to warm up pretty quickly ... most likely followed by a cup of tea. smile

Hope this helps and you're staying warm!

25. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

Well, I am lucky because where I live now it never gets below freezing but if it did I would wrap up as warmly as I could.

26. pink flavour profile image60
    pink flavourposted 13 years ago

what about a hot bubble bath ? even if it's said it's better to take hot showers in summer and cold ones in winter . Believe me you will feel much better then .

27. cookibuq profile image62
    cookibuqposted 13 years ago

earmuffs ^^
    works everytime...

28. profile image0
    Pachuca213posted 13 years ago

my comfy winter socks (with the little squishy snowflakes on the bottom) a cup of hot cocoa and a warm fire in my fire place...thats what I do when the weather is too cold..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)