Netbook or Tablet?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image35
    nbbatt.composted 13 years ago

Which is better one to purchase?

1. Dorothee-Gy profile image65
      Dorothee-Gyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I also think it is not an either - or, but an as well. Both are cheap now, and there are definitely areas of life where the one or the other is more appropriate.

If you look at the prices, if you buy a decent netbook ( I have a 12,1" eepc with a dual core processor, which has practically replaced my big laptop) and a normal tablet ((like an Archos 10.1, should be big enough), you're still way cheaper as it would have been a few years ago to buy one decent pc or laptop.

2. kenhubs profile image60
      kenhubsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You will first need to identify what you want to use either the tablet or the netbook for, then you will be able to make an informed choice. For instance; if you are going to be typing a lot and would also like to use the software you use on your regular desktop pc then go for a netbook, if on the other hand you do not mind using a touchscreen or paying for applications and you love listening to music or watching videos a tablet might be in order. For general purpose use think netbook but for a more personal media-centric purpose think tablet.

2. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

A tablet (I use an iPad) is an ideal second computer.  It may end up being the device you spend the most time with (that is the case for me) , but there will always be things (like updating the tablet) that you need a real computer for.

The advantages of a tablet over a netbook include battery life, physical size, and weight.   If those are important, you should lean toward a tablet.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

I went with a netbook because of price.  It does the job well, but I anticipate getting a tablet within the next 2 years.

4. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 13 years ago

Netbooks are dead. Go with a tablet - the iPad is pretty awesome.

1. yolanda yvette profile image60
      yolanda yvetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Netbooks are not dead.  It gets the job done.  It's not an ipad, but for the money I think they're awesome.

1. jazz_kaur profile image56
        jazz_kaurposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Correct. Let me repharse it for you:

Work + Productivity = Netbook
        Games + A bit of show off = iPad (which is a tablet)

5. profile image57
    Abbaschildposted 13 years ago

I am sorry but you are all wrong!
    The only way to go is to get yourself an IBM XT and then you will be way past the forefront of technology(smile.

6. slc334 profile image40
    slc334posted 13 years ago

Definitely if you want to be productive, write a lot, or need special software, I'd lean to a netbook.  If you don't write very often, and really just want a great internet experience, go with a tablet.  I personally am waiting for the new android tablets to come out before I decide on android or iPad 2!  That being said, if I didn't have a laptop and I had to pick only one device, the netbook would be a clear winner.

7. lanetodd profile image71
    lanetoddposted 13 years ago

Tablets have countless apps, which is a big plus, and they are very portable. But for me, I like having a netbook, and also having a physical keyboard instead of the virtual keyboard on the tablets.  There are tons of tablets coming out this year, and some are both tablet and netbook, meaning they dock into a keyboard.  Google the Lenovo U10, Asus Slate, Acer Icona Tab W500, the Viewsonic Viewpad 10 dual boot (both Android and Windows 7),and the Motorola Atrix.  Also the Ipad does come with a keyboard that it docks onto as well. So many to choose from.  As far as netbooks, no fingerprints on the screen, just as portable, and more functional. I think Tablets are more for entertainment, netbooks can still be used for fun and for business.  The Acer eMachine EM250 or the Lenovo S10-3 are great netbooks at a cheap price.  And no contract to a large bloated cell phone company.

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Tablets are definitely NOT just entertainment.  VNC, ssh, RDP, Gotomeeting, Webex, Citrix... 

Business tool.

Nor do you need a data contract.  With the ipad, you can use Wifi and buy 250MB/30 days whenever you want - no contract.

8. Rising Caren profile image78
    Rising Carenposted 13 years ago

I'd like a tablet netbook.

(If you've ever seen tablet notebooks: a laptop with a touch/tablet screen, you know what I mean)

I'd love to have the power and keyboard of a netbook but the touch capabilities of a tablet.

So where's mah tablet netbook!!!!!???

9. profile image57
    EthanWilliamsonposted 13 years ago

Tablet smile

10. gazook profile image70
    gazookposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't hesitate to go with a tablet. Netbooks (unless it's a high-end variant) will never replace a real laptop. Neither will a tablet, but they are a lot more fun wink

11. markhubpages profile image39
    markhubpagesposted 12 years ago

Of course it depends on how and where you will use it. Are you using it for travelling, or do you need moer speed?

12. profile image57
    movingfingerposted 12 years ago

Check out my article on this vexing question..http://hubpages.com/hub/Kindle-vs-iPad-vs-Tablet-Pcs

13. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 12 years ago

Get a tablet. It is the shape of things to come. Notebooks are a dying breed and you will not see these in a year or two. Most laptops are barely hanging in there.

14. lubima profile image58
    lubimaposted 12 years ago

Tablet: Ipad2 16/32/64Gb wi-fi+3G- a lot of apps to download for whatever you want and need. /keep in mind- most of the apps you should pay through iTunes/.
    For Android users Galaxy Tab or Motorola Xoom- Android is going further and allows media and business apps to be easily downloaded /even for free/ Still Google market offers free apps for everything. Menu is approachable.

At last but not least- Blackberry Playbook- well, smaller size than Ipad2, typical business tablet. Through the Blackberry Bridge program you can connect your Blackberry mobile phones with the Playbook and information get instanly to the tablet device /email accounts..../ Really smart...

So netbooks...are like calculators....too old fasnioned for the tech development and people`s growing demands:)))

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)