Should I kill this hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (38 posts)
  1. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

A couple of friends here on hubpages don't like this hub. They say that the attempt at humor didn't make it past being caustic and possibly offensive.

I am thinking about taking it down if it is broadly seen as such.

I know it got quite a few nice comments, but I have very nice friends here who may be a teeny bit biased my way, so I would value a few more opinions if you can find the time to look. smile
    I was going to use the excuse that the humor is "Australian"
    but both the friends that commented on it's caustic nature are Australians! lol
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Its-all-your-own-fault

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if I took down the ones my family don't approve of, I wouldn't have many left (I put the ones I know they REALLY would have multiple heart attacks over in another more anonymous account).

2. Sullen91 profile image70
      Sullen91posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, it's a mixture of amusing, half witty, and clumpy sequence. I guess a person could take solace in the fact that it's partly hysterical and daft in some parts. But I did almost break out in laughter with the part about bad drivers blaming other bad drivers. As for the other jabs, they seem to me like things one might say out of malice in a heated fight. That is, they are sharply biting and mostly realistic. Proper sarcasm spares some of the banal truth, and instead leaves it somewhat concealed in innuendo.

earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A big sincere thank you for the info.
        I was hoping I could get a clear overview that would teach me something.
        I am a relatively new writer and probably clumsy and disorganized in my writing.
        I really appreciate the kind comments here, but have to say your constructive view looks very useful to me. smile

Thank you, I feel this is a real offer of good intent, I hold out my hand in friendship, as I feel you have offered yours. smile

3. christoss1959 profile image61
      christoss1959posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Personally I liked it thumbs up from me

Thank you! I am working on my humor. I know their are some funny people on here, and I'd like to learn how to get them to chuckle. smile

2. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Don't trash it.

Thanks mate! Your disqualified from supporting it! Why we're like blood brothers you and I! lol

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking I could have written something very similar without much provocation smile

Did I miss the mark a little do you think? smile I would probably enjoy reading your hub if you wrote it. I wonder about others though. Is it offensive?

1. profile image0
            Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It wasn't really my cup of tea - your humour seems more natural in the forums.  Maybe it needs a makeover?  Or maybe only a few people really get it?  It comes across as accusing with the short blaming type statements, which doesn't pick up the humour - at least not for me

Thank you for that! I think I will try a rewrite first. It does not have to miss by much to miss altogether I reckon. I appreciate the input. smile

2. Trsmd profile image58
      Trsmdposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can still keep it.. Those who don't bother will not bother to read that page..

3. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 13 years ago

Nah, you should keep it. It's not that bad.

Waddaya mean not THAT bad! lol lol lol

4. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Well to be honest, it probably would have been better if you could have found some way to mention....BANANAS!!!!!! smile

smile Now you know I would be hesitant to mention

BANANAS !!!!!!!!!!

5. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Keep it - it is inoffensive except to me - and I know you are clearly aiming at me otherwise how would you know about the dishes and the bad back episode huh !!!  big_smile

Yeh well you deserve it! Always bashing those poor fanatics. Ya should leave some of them for me! lol

6. mythbuster profile image72
    mythbusterposted 13 years ago

I enjoyed the hub, Earnest. It's a li'l over the top but still within reason... If people don't like that kind of humour, they can choose not to laugh. I laughed a lot at the "subtlety" on the hub *rolling my eyes* but then, that's just me...

Thank you mythbuster, I will run with it a little longer I think, and see if I can make it a little less harsh maybe.

I don't know why, but some folk seem to take it pretty seriously. smile

I am having trouble seeing myself in this hub. I am a patient and tolerant driver myself and seldom notice others driving faults. If someone does something dangerous I am more inclined to think they may be feeling ill or have some valid reason.

I have had to stop in the middle of a busy intersection in peak hour to throw up recently when I had a virus, so I know what it's like to get caught short and not be able to behave as others would like. smile

7. mythbuster profile image72
    mythbusterposted 13 years ago

I like the hub - it mocks general behaviors - and in a funny way if you can understand the sort of humour being expressed. I hope you keep the hub.

Thank you very much Mythbuster! I hoped that would be the resonse of others too. smile

8. Polly C profile image91
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

It's fine Earnest. It's not offensive.....actually it reminds of the day back in May when we were going to a friend's wedding. I bought a new dress and made the mistake of asking my 10 year old son what he thought.  'It makes you look weird,' was the reply.  I spent the whole day before the wedding thinking about taking it back and changing it - all because of a child!!

And we all moan about getting stuck in traffic, busy shops at Christmas and weekends, and no end of other things, without considering other people are only doing the exact same thing as us - getting caught up and trapped in the ways of our society.

I guess the one thing you could do if you want to change it is to make a joke aimed towards a man as well.

Thank you Polly. I will read it again and see if I can make it clear that both sexes are included. That way I can get twice as much flak! smile

1. mom101 profile image61
        mom101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

My dad would have laughed his "something" off.

I enjoyed it as well. But, have you ever had those uh uh uh moments?

Smiles to you

Plenty mom101. I have them whenever I write a hub. smile I am glad you enjoyed it. It was a risky thing to do I guess, as I already know my Australian humor is not always understood or even acceptable to some. smile
          I think that Australians are a bit different to some in the area of humor in general. We tend to be a bit too blunt. smile

1. mom101 profile image61
            mom101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not blunt, just tuff luv.

Sarcastic humor? My style.

Keep it up....

Thank you!
              I love that the responses are so varied and I am learning from them.

9. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Earnest, leave it. No need to change it or rewrite or edit. wink I left you a comment. smile

Thanks Cags! Your da bomb! smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. smile

10. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

Keep it! 

I admire that you are willing to write what you want to write.  Don't let the nay sayers get you to pull work you like! smile smile

Thank you Jane, I am likely to take some advice and fiddle it a bit though!

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image60
        Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice promo!! It is still your fault.

11. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Question - Should I kill this hub.
    The long Answer - For the important message it provides to the community at large, not on your f***ing life big_smile

Always good to see such great material from a fellow Melbournite!

12. Kdban101 profile image59
    Kdban101posted 13 years ago

nothing offensive in that hub.

13. WryLilt profile image90
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I like it. It's kind of what I would say if all my bad customers were rolled into one. smile Actually I have a few customers who ARE all my bad customers rolled into one. Can I print a copy and drop it in their letter boxes? big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)