Creation Stories

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Paul Wingert profile image62
    Paul Wingertposted 13 years ago

Hardcore creationists drive themselves into a frenzy trying despirately to denounce evolution, carbon dating, and so on. They write books and produce videos on a subject they don't know anything about. 9 times out of 10 their sources are other books and videos created by other creationist with zero credibilty. For example, so some guy with a PHD says that carbon dating is inaccurate. Come to find out this guy got his PHD in Bible study at some Christian College and never spent the first minute in a lab where carbon dating is done. What his credibilty tells me is that it took this guy eight years to read the Bible. Since creationists going through great pains on trying to get their point across, why don't they look at the big picture and question the creation story itself? How can anyone take ancient stories so ridiculous as gosple truth without question?

1. Merlin Fraser profile image60
      Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why do you torture yourself like this ?

Haven't you realized it by now that to challenge Creationist logic is a complete waste of time.

God created the world and everything in six days which means man and dinosaurs walked the Earth at the same time. Mankind started with two people Adam and Eve, they had two children, both boys, one killed the other and God threw the killer out of Eden. He wandered off and got married...

The rest is history OK...? If you want Logic, Reason and Common Sense with your discussions stay away from Evangelical Creationists that way your sanity will remain intact.

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Merlin:
        2 THUMBS UP!!!!
        Qwark

2. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They do at least some I know do.

2. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

Because we know the writer, personally. Our faith is in God. As we work out our walk with God we delve into the bible but not necessarily the parts you would like us to be in. The New testament or New Covenant is what pertains nowadays and in this area is where you will find most christians. The Gospel is tantamount! and must be preached as Christ said, because God chose the foolishness of preaching to save people.
    People who stand on the outside of this great and terrific, effortless walk with christ and yell, foul, can often be noted to understand very little about scripture and a lot about other sources of information. These other sources of information can be considered 'strong delusion'. Of course being a christian and surrendering to God and feeling his power can also be 'strong persuasion'.
    Christianity has survived and will keep on surviving until jesus returns to sit in the throne of david in His holy land because God has ordained it to be so.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you know the writer personality - I was a "born-again" christian for many years and I never heard God's voice or saw him.  So you have?

3. Disappearinghead profile image59
      Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure that the whole of Judaism believes in literal 6 day creation.
      http://www.ou.org/about/judaism/sheshet.htm

Many Jews see not 24hour periods but ages.

1. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's right.

Keep in mind that even the Orthodox are saying that it's not literally days, but epochs.

Reform, Reconstructionist and Conservative Jews generally think the entire creation story was just a metaphor, and believe the universe is 13 billion years old like science suggests.

1. qwark profile image60

...and the pope agrees with Hawking, BUT, he has the last word i.e. god is responsible for it all!   
          Religious arrogance, based soley upon self imposed ignorance, is disgusting and absurd!
          Qwark

1. livelonger profile image86
            livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're entitled to your beliefs.

2. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

disappearing

Look at my hub  Creation Museum

4. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, science and reality are 'strong delusions' to the believer who would prefer to embrace fairy tale stories of mythical beings and invisible entities to rule their worldview, despite the fact that science has brought them everything they have today, which they take advantage of and enjoy thoroughly even though it is only a strong delusion. smile

5. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So are muslims, Hindus, and other non-christian religions suffering from 'strong delusion?'

lol lol lol!  This is extremely absurd! Why would surrendering your mind to an imaginary mythical being be anything other than a Strong Delusion?  Please explain.

No.  Christianity has survived, and will keep surviving, until weak-minded people get the courage to summon some integrity.
      Jesus is not  going to return to anything.  To think that a dead man is going to resurrect himself and come back to earth, suggests a state of mental psychosis.  It is absurd.

1. qwark profile image60

getitrite:
        I'm standing and applauding!!!
        QWark

1. getitrite profile image72
          getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Qwark.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

"Creation Stories"

Once upon a time...

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...someone was very bored...

...so they made up religion.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76

OH great one! tell me more, tell me more, more, more, more.....................................................................................................................................................................

lol

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

I think you have to respect human diversity, it is an asset in the evolutionary sense to have people with different systems of beleif.

1. qwark profile image60

Skinner:
      I agree, except as it relates to religion.
      I'd like to to enumerate for us, how religion has been a "real" asset to human life.
      Qwark

5. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

Oh, c'mon. Everyone knows that the universe was sneezed from the nostrils of the Great Green Arklesiezure.

Repent! For the Coming of the Great White Handkerchief is at hand!

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

An evolutionary perspective is about the success of the individual in passing on their genes.  Religion clearly can help with that. Like religions that say not to use contraception.

I think it is dubious to oppose religion on moral grounds or enlightenment of the race grounds.  That is a bit like calling the kettle black.

1. qwark profile image60

Skinner:
      it seems our definition of the word "Asset" differs.
      I see no "asset" in what you just proposed.
      Qwark

7. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

I came across this video some time ago. It's got some lovely images and some powerful words, and it's about how science isn't scary, and how religion can make the world scarier than it needs to be.

The speaker has rejected religion entirely, while I have not, but I agree with him that religion is often misused, and rather than giving comfort to the fearful, it is often used to make people fearful while at the same time offering comfort from said fear, but only if you do as I say.

Anyway, here's the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6w2M50_Xdk

Almost entirely safe for work, with the exception of one F-bomb toward the end of the speech.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76

Enjoyed the video

The iron in our blood is the same in space.

Spiritual is the unknown, not the known in an over ego book and what kind of miracle are they talking about.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)