Have you been stuck in a spot like this... (need suggestions)

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (48 posts)
  1. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

This a hub that I have started to write about four days back.. I have written on this topic earlier and have done quiet a bit of work in this regard...but now I find that my thoughts will not flow..and I seem to be writing the same ideas over and over again..
    I assumed giving it time will help but it is just the same...I am stuck in the same spot...any suggestions..

1. travelespresso profile image70
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello Sofs.....Yes it happens all too often!

Have you tried clustering your ideas?

Another thing I like to do is print a copy and sit in a different place to read it with a pen in hand to scribble down ideas.

Those are a couple of quick thoughts.  Other than that, I just leave it and go back to it when the mood takes me.

1. kmackey32 profile image64
        kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have these issues sometimes...

2. CMHypno profile image84
      CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Sometimes it just does not come and the more you force it the harder it will be to get in the writing flow.

Move on to another hub or task for a bit and let your mind relax.

Alternatively, a large glass of wine can always help to get things flowing! smile

1. kirstenblog profile image77
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This works for me, both leaving a hub for another day and picking something else to write about as well as a glass of wine wink

2. sofs profile image76
        sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can relate to what you are saying, That is why I  did other things for four days.. but I seem to be stuck.. I will  sleep over it if need be or even may be write something else.. before I get back to this topic..

LOL I don't drink anything other than water , green tea and  may be coffee.. smile
        Thank you.. 
        @CM Hypno:)
        @ Kirstenblog
        So I am not the only one... big_smile

3. Karanda profile image79
        Karandaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol the wine works a treat!

1. sofs profile image76

should I try it??? lol I will be too tipsy to write... smile

3. Mark Ewbie profile image80
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Don't know how you write, whether straight in to a hub or elsewhere first.  I throw thoughts into Word documents, then leave them when the ideas stop coming.  If it never gets written no one will miss it.  I am gradually building a collection of documents to work on when the mood strikes me.

Having started the thought process you can mull over it while shopping, driving, housework, whatever and then pop more ideas in as it suits.

I found that typing directly into a hub was more restricting, with more pressure on to complete and publish it.  Plus it doesn't have a spelchecker...

I too have an impressive list of half written hubs in my stats! lol

1. sofs profile image76

wow... but you write at the speed of lightning..  smile

Do I?
            Not sure I would say that about myself but hey, a compliment is a compliment smile

I will say that I type fast and in real life I talk A LOT, it translates well into text lol

1. sofs profile image76

I talk a lot but when it comes to writing.... the flow is more restrained.
              My typing is like 600 words per day I guess lol lol

Improve your typing speed and the rest will follow big_smile lol
                I do wish I could type slightly faster, I am close to being able to type at the speed I talk but I don't let those typos wait till I have finished to correct them and that slows me down! That bloody red line under words screams at me to take notice and fix it. It's worse then the Nuns I had in school! lol

1. sofs profile image76

lol lol this is turning out to be fun now!! big_smile

Ahhh excellent! big_smile
                    The way these forums should be wink

2. Susana S profile image90
          Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL lol Me too. I think I have more half written hubs than I do published ones. One day I will get them all finished......

@sofs - I think getting blocked like that is common for most of us. I know I do. Usually I just leave it and come back to it another time (see above, lol), but if you really want to get it done one suggestion is to get a piece of paper, write down the main thoughts you have in separate bubbles then just try brainstorming it, creating a spider diagram.

1. sofs profile image76

That is  a great suggestion.. Thanks Susana S will do that right away..

But I am a one hub at a time person.. may be I need to break free from this line of thinking...  Thank you for the suggestions smile

2. sofs profile image76

Thanks Mark .. I never type anything straight into a hub... I keep working on word before I am ready...

I was  worried only because these topics are not new to me and I should not be getting stuck... I hope you understand what I am saying..

Yeah I do agree with you about directly typing stuff.. Thank you smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image80
          Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi sofs, I didn't actually know what you wrote so had a quick peek.  Creative stuff - that's the worst kind for getting stuck on.

Maybe you could draft the most goddam awful thing you have ever written as a start.  At least the outline is there.  Then just work on improving areas at a time.  When you have had enough just hit the publish button and the hell with it.

1. sofs profile image76

I like that.. I just thought the same thing ... i will give it one good shot and then hit that darn publish button and hell with it as you say!! smile big_smile smile

Thanks Mark I may seriously do that... makes me feel better smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image80
              Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You mean... I actually offered some genuine advice?  I know I have the accolade, but you get that just for hanging around on the forums misleading newbies.

Feeling good.. yeah.

1. sofs profile image76

@ Mark
                I dont know about misleading the newbies..lol ,  but this advice.. to give it one good try and let it go to hell sounded like what I was thinking at the moment myself.... It is always good to have your thoughts voiced out aloud by others...

I do feel good...Hey I don't do much creative writing.. nope I think that is what is showing up on my profile page... I write stuff on self Improvement which is where I am getting stuck... and I shouldn't be

Thanks anyway.. to have you think like I do ...that helps. smile

3. Karanda profile image79
        Karandaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same as the forums Mark, no 'spelchecker', oops that should read, spell checker.

I write all my Hubs in word first, start with an idea, then a topic and add bits and pieces till the words fill the page, then rewrite the whole thing. Even after it's published, I still go back to tweak and add.

1. sofs profile image76

Hi karanda,
          Yeah may be give it a good try , publish it and then Think of tweaking it up later.
          great suggestions, Thank you smile

4. Spacey Gracey profile image40
      Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Hi Sofs - if your mind is wanting you to go over and over the same stuff, and you have tried taking a break without success, maybe just let yourself write and write in that loop and see what comes out of it. Maybe your writing brain knows what its doing, and you should just let it get on with its job - it may come out with some really great new points, or distill your original line of thinking into an even greater piece of writing.

(I speak from when I actually used to do 'proper writing' in work, rather than the sales writing I do know...just had visions of you flicking across to my profile, and thinking 'you're giving out writing tips????really!!!'

1. sofs profile image76

HI Spacey Gracey... No ,no.. any suggestion is welcome and I have read enough of your hubs, to know that you know what you are talking about..
        I keep reading your hubs when I need inspiration to write one product hub.. that does not come to me easily at all.
        Wow!!  and you do it with such ease..
        I do understand what you are saying sometimes we need to be focused in just one area.. I will take that happily.
        Thank you smile

5. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

I am the complete opposite yikes
      I find that I have too many ideas and I can't keep up coz I type too slow big_smile
      When I write poetry I have to complete it within the mood and not stack it for later... or it doesn't flow.

Think about splitting the perspective - so you approach it from two sides, or points of view, or meanings/interpretations.  In that way you engage your readers, you get an interesting flow and you write at a higher level..
      I don't know if you know what I mean?
      I don't know how else to describe it.. but if you know my work, then you see exactly what I mean... hmm

1. sofs profile image76

Thanks PD I have seen that work with you...I wonder if the kind of topics I write on would take that treatment well..But it is worth the try..
        Thank you so much .. smile

1. Pearldiver profile image66
          Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes it would work on your range of subjects Sofs.
          You know sometimes the most powerful selling is when you are not!.. try covering that perspective in a selling hub! It will set you apart from your competitors won't it hmm

1. sofs profile image76

No selling here, PD... Like most of my hubs is also falls under the category of self improvement   smile

It is just that the few sales hubs that I wrote are showing up on my profile page right now!

Really do appreciate the help PD  smile

6. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

You know I was on a real streak yesterday, had a hub thats been there ages and was close to publishing it. Had my final text in there and was close to adding a video and the browser crashed! Lost a good amount of the text, still have the notes to work with yes, so not impossible to re-do it but still, bloody annoying! Kinda put me off for the rest of the day!

1. sofs profile image76

Sorry... I understand that, it is pretty annoying ... better luck next time.  smile

I really should go finish it now but I am having too much fun in the forums today, been awhile since the forums where this much fun so hard to leave. Leave it to the Brits to liven up these forums big_smile

1. sofs profile image76

May be having fun will brighten  up your hub some more... guess I need to work on these suggestions too.. Thanks

Well if you and the other fun hubbers would just stop being so fun on the forums today I would go write instead! tongue lol

Maybe not actually lol hmm

1. sofs profile image76

Its okay girl to have Fun.. I feel so lightened up already!! hang on... smile

You know I used to be able to come to these here forums any old time and have a good time like we are having today. Lately it has been way to dramatic to be fun so today is a lovely reminder of how much fun these forums can be when we want them to be smile
                    Lets keep the party going!

1. sofs profile image76

Yeah do agree that sometimes it is too melodramatic... But thats when I stick to the sandpit.  smile

Bring out the wine!!

7. sofs profile image76
      sofsposted 13 years ago

I guess I i will after all finish this in a few hours .. wow thanks to all of you .. I just was able to get back into the flow..with all those suggestions.
      You are all so supportive and helpful, thank you so much.
      God Bless smile smile smile

@Mark Ewbie  special thanks to you ..  I am going to publish it and hell with it!!!! LOL

Excellent! Now lets hope it draws lots and lots of traffic and they read and click ads and everything we hope for from our hubs smile

1. sofs profile image76

Aww ,  that is so sweet, okay lets  cross our fingers and hope so... thank you for all the support.. after all the fun , I  was able to finish it ... may be that was all that was needed.  i just needed to relax  smile  smile  smile

8. Urbane Chaos profile image90
      Urbane Chaosposted 13 years ago

Wow - there's a lot of great stuff in here!

For me, while I'm doing research I always group my notes into what will eventually be the capsules.  That way, I know exactly what I'm going to write about before I start to write.

I also use voice-recognition software.  The upside to that is that I can voice my thoughts out loud faster than I can type them.  I usually end up with a few swear words and some whimsical nonsense, but it all gets sorted out at the end.  If I'm out somewhere, I can also record notes into my phone, then play them back to the computer.  That alone saves me a ton of time, and helps me when it comes to the writing process.

Sofs, glad ya finally got it though - I always hate it when that happens.. As they say, I love writing, I just hate the paperwork! big_smile

1. sofs profile image76

Wow that is a great suggestion too... i should take a look at voice recognition software....I can type one word per minute smile i guess.. lol  big_smile

Grouping notes into capsules ... is another suggestion that I need to look at seriously.
        Thank you Urbane Chaos ( you don't sound Chaotic..you sound  pretty organized to me)  for sharing what works for you.

Actually  I believe this thread  will help a lot of hubbers when they are stuck...

Thank you everyone for helping out!! smile God Bless!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)