cricket gossip

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (79 posts)
  1. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

anyone interested?

1. SiddSingh profile image61
      SiddSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everyone from the subcontinent will be!

But it is very late, and I am going to bed right now - maybe in the morning, then!

saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

huuuuuuu sad

2. saleheensblog profile image61

no one love cricket?

1. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well i love cricket...

did you see ashes? I was just shocked to see Australia loosing.

i wasn't...it was expected...honestly i love when ever aussies loose...they were arrogant during their good old days but after shane,mcgrath,gilly ,hayden they are ordinary right now...their ranking says it all...ofcourse one can never take aussies lightly but england is better team than aussies right now...

2. SiddSingh profile image61

I don't think it was surprising in any way - the Australian team has been in rapid decline for some time - from No 1 in Test Rankings they are No 5 today.

On the other hand, England team has been playing rather well.

1. englightenedsoul profile image58
            englightenedsoulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

+1

3. Sufidreamer profile image80
          Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I enjoyed the result very much - sadly, I have no way to watch the Tests over here, only a little radio commentary if my internet connection behaves sad

1. SimeyC profile image89
            SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Try cricfire.com - I found about this site after the superb result for England of course!!!

4. SiddSingh profile image61

What indeed surprised me was the abject defeat of the New Zealand team - first in Bangladesh, then in India.

On another note - Bangladesh has been doing well - first New Zealand, and now Zimbabwe!

i am glad to see bangladesh doing good...they are growing and can be giant killer in world cup 2011...their captain is good all rounder and does have lot of self belief....

Well, they have killed almost all the giants - India, Australia, Pakistan - some time or the other - but it is still some time before they can really threaten these entrenched teams.

It will take a lot more than positive thinking and self-belief - all good teams have those qualities in ample measure.

agreed...but i am delighted with bangladesh's progress..sure they need more time ...

Bangladesh is really doing well. You people would be surprised to know that there were no cricket academy or any other infrastructure for cricket just a few years ago. If our infrastructure was better we would go a long way quickly.

3. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

I hope that Bangladesh continue to improve, too - considering that Pakistani cricket has become even more of a comedy show, it would be good for the subcontinent and for cricket in general. 

Nice to see Afghanistan developing a decent team, too smile

ya afghanistan is also evolving nicely...china too participated in asian games...they have long road to travel though...pakistan is one of most talented team and are like westindies ...they can defeat anyone and get defeated by anyone...they are unpredictable and so dangerous...

4. Sufidreamer profile image80

I always had a soft spot for Pakistan, because the great Wasim Akram played for my county.

Sadly, they need to get rid of the corrupt comedians running Pakistani cricket and root out those fixing matches. It is a shame for the Pakistani cricket fans, who have so much passion for the game sad

5. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

How did Afghanistan go in the ODI series? Last I heard they had made the final.

England to retain the Ashes with a 3-1 series victory... and that from an Australian!

6. Sufidreamer profile image80

I can't remember such a poor Aussie team, Toby - That result would not be a surprise. Still, the Aussies will fight, so I take nothing for granted.

It looks like Australia have a rebuilding job ahead - the problem with having such a dominant team is that it is hard to blood young players and build for the future. It might take a few years, but I am sure that the Aussies will be back smile

There you go - Afghanistan are improving rapidly.

http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/the-icc/ic … rofile.php

7. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

Woohoo! Today Scotland, tomorrow Australia?

Thanks Sufidreamer.

Things that have to change at Cricket Australia...
    1. Axe Andrew Hilditch as Chairman of Selectors.
    2. Take the captaincy off Ricky Ponting.
    3. Drop Michael Clarke and Marcus North.
    4. Reinstate David Hussey to the Australian side.
    5. Recall Nathan Hauritz.

Then Australia might win a test match this summer.

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61
      Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am not for Australia but their loss of the ashes will tell very little if the england team does not cement its victory with a couple of wins and if the Aussies pick themselves up after this. On the other hand, cricket on the whole is going through a bad-patch. look at what happened to the T-20 in India, the Pakistan Cricket Board and all is not well with the West Indies and Zimbabwe. I will support Pakistan on any day, I think it is the most talented team on earth!

1. profile image0
        Toby Hansenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

T20 is not cricket.

I just don't watch T-20. It's garbage.

It is just a different ball game. I wouldn't agree with the garbage part though - it is more like junk food - everyone knows it is bad for health, yet everyone enjoys it once in a while. And you can finish it fast, even standing up!

"That's not cricket".

I am sure Kerry Packer would have heard that phrase a million times!

~Who will be a better captain for you? I don't see anyone in the team now who can lead from the front.

~I wouldn't drop Clarke but north with 25 innings under 30 runs out of 35 innings should be rested.

~David Hussey and Philip Huge.

~Nathan Hauritz didn't do very well in the earlier series. Young Micheal Bear can be given a chance.

Shane Warne wink

3. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Toby: I'd be interested in an Australian point of view. I read a lot of press on the general public wanting Shane Warne to come back for this series - while he could have an impact, do you feel this really would be a backward step for them! If I were in charge I'd bring in some youngsters and blood them against a very good England team...

spot on. No point of going back. If I was a selector I would try a new batch of promising cricketer and let them build up the team together again  in next few years.

2. profile image0
        Toby Hansenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

SimeyC... A Shane Warne comeback is the last thing that Australian cricket needs. Another player that "retired" only to sell out and go to the IPL. There are plenty of good young cricketers in the State sides. The problem is that while Ponting and Hilditch are running things, they will only get selected if they come from the right States... mainly New South Wales and Tasmania, the home States of Hilditch and Ponting.

8. saleheensblog profile image61

You are right, Aussies are in a great generation gap now. But I didn't expect such a big defeat. If England wins the ashes 3-0 or 4-0 they will be hot favorite for the world cup 2011 though for any non-Asian team it will be very hard to defeat any Asian team.

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61

"non-Asian team it will be very hard to defeat any Asian team." From where do you draw this? How many World cups are shared by non-Asian teams compared to Asian teams? I f you are talking about Asian teams, then we can point to India, Srilanka and Pakistan as power houses. But look at the recent forms of the three. Is there anything to write home about? I would imagine Srilanka is facing the same age gap as the Aussies.

Sri Lanka will only feel the gap of Murali otherwise SriLanka is a very well balanced young team.

The recent form of India, Srilanka, Bangladesh and Pakistan is just awesome.

In recent time all the non Asian teams have suffered horribly against any Asian team in Asian venue.

Umm, there are five countries that have won 9 World cup titles - out of that 3 are Asian teams. That is 60%.

3. pisean282311 profile image62

@Rajab Nsubuga

India is in great form in test matches and good form in onedays...srilanka too is in good form in both format...i dont know how much you are following cricket lately but viv richards , ranatunga , kapil dev , imran khan and wasim akram consider India as per present form to be favorites...though we can't rule out sri lanka , south africa and england...aussies are always tough side irrespective of form ...while pakistan and westindies are unpredictable and dangerous...

Okay - India/SriLanka/Proteas/England/Australia/WestIndies/(even)Pakistan are contenders for WC11. So which teams are left out - Bangladesh and Zimbabwe?

my post was for rajab and was answering him

coming to my post well i am not saying that...ofcourse in world cup none can be ruled out...what i am saying is that after long time aussies are not starting as favorite..if you ask me personally i think southafrica , india , srilanka have better chances than others...aussie,pakistan,england i would put on same category...westindies , newzeland in third while zimbabwe , bangladesh in fourht...thats how it is in my opinion...

2. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61

Probably, I am not an ardent follower but my point was that in recent World tournaments of cricket we have been treated to a dismal performance by Asian teams. Pakistan, Bangladesh and India probably have the most talented players but how many silver wears to their good? When it comes to Big Games in cricket, I think Australia takes the cake followed by S.Africa.

South Africa is known to be choker for being broken down in big matches. Even Bangladesh defeated them in world cup. Australia is always a tough competent, especially in big tournaments but this time this is a bit different story for them. In recent years India, Pakistan have won T-20 world cups. Srilanka also showed clear dominance. India, Pakistan and Srilanka were finalist in last three word cups. India and Srilanka both have won mini world cups recently and reached finals for multiple time.

When was the last time England/South Africa reached the finals of any cricket tournament - that involved 3 countries or more?

And for the record, both India and Pakistan have won Mini World cups in the recent past - though Pakistan lacks long-term consistency, I must say.

1. sid_candid profile image57
              sid_candidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just to remind you England won the T20 World Cup a few months back.

9. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

A beaten Australian team is a formidable opponent in the following match!  Watch out England I say!

I agree with you and I am a rare Aussie supporter from Asia.

2. pisean282311 profile image62

@travelespresso you did beat me in this...aussies did prove me wrong ...england down and out for this match...

10. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Hey Salenheen - I'm probably rarer -  KIWI supporting our near neighbor - Australia lol

lol well they wont be able to beat england...england is on fire and aussies are not even getting their 11s right...they are running campaign to bring back warne!!!!!!!!!!!...i think they can draw next test at best...

1. travelespresso profile image68
        travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just don't know that I agree with you.  I think Australians sportsmen and women are formidable opponents when they have their backs against the wall.

I hope the weather plays fair!

i agree aussies come hard when they loose..i dont doubt their intent and their resolve..i am doubting their form...when they lost to India in recent test match ...we all expected them to come hard but they lost easily as compared to the previous match...aussie lack fire power which england has currently..england bowling is perfectly balanced ...

hey but what is wrong with your team?...they seemed to have lost ability to win....

NZ team - yes I agree.  Sometimes we just seem to loose our way and it happens in many different sports too!

Re the Australians - they don't seem to be a cohesive team at the moment, but I've thought that before and I've been proven wrong.  What do you think about the dynamics?

they are down in confidence and they seemed to be lost right now...their bowling is decent but johnson went out of form in wrong time...bollinger is good bowler but they need match winners in bowling department...their batting still looks ok...mike is as ever at his best...pointing might fire soon ...watson too can deliver..i never rate clarke too high...he is ok batsman according to me...regarding cohesive thing...well your point seems to be correct....also i feel they have over pressurized themselves...they need to take it more easy then the way they are taking the series...winning is important but being desperate can work negatively...

Australia is going to win in 4 days big_smile

I managed to see about an hour of highlights.  Judging by that the England side looks like a winning team.

However, neither team is managing to get good partnerships going.

What do you think?

11. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Black Caps just letting everyone else get a head start lol

I really feel bad for black caps. I personally like kiwis because of their approach. Modest and hard worker. And the only team I have seen that is always full of spirit infield. They try to give their 100% in the field unlike Asians even if they are facing a sure defeat. The only problem I see is the lack of genuine talent in the team. Unless Ross Taylor and Macculam I really don't see a sharp cricketer in the current team.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice Empthy there saleheenblog, thanks

To be honest Im not a serious cricket fan,although I used to like the one day Internationals, they could be exciting. Plus two of sons played (at junior level) so being a good mummy, I sat in the sun,ate sandwiches and cheered them on.

P.S Dont live in NZ right now ,but when I did Stephen Fleming was Captain ,its been too long wahhhh....

2. travelespresso profile image68

Nice Sahaleen!  Thanks.

Styris used to be really good but he seems to have lost his way.  I agree with you re MacCallum and Taylor.  Look out for the young Kane Williamson.  He seems to have lots of potential yet to show at the senior international level.

I'm really a casual observer of the game lol.  Like Eaglekiwi I used to LOVE the one day matches.

12. saleheensblog profile image61

Indians are in deep trouble sad My favorite team is India. The old story.........teams from this sub-continent suffers in non-sniping-bouncy wicket

13. saleheensblog profile image61

England need another 310 runs to win with 5 wickets in hand at the stumps of the day 3, so it's only a matter of time to seal the win for Australia. The condition was highly fast bowling friendly and Aussies managed to capitalize on that. Bringing Jonson back was the right decision. He proved himself again as a great fast bowling al-rounder.

South Africa is hammering India. Already leading 420 runs just in day three session 1. I see defeat for Indians unless someone come up with an epic innings for them.

well India needs two epic innings ...this match India is down and out ...

SA is looking for Kallis' 200 and some quick blows from Villiars. I think they will declare just before tea with a lead around 600. India is on the verge of an big innings defeat denying that cricket is a game of uncertainty.

14. saleheensblog profile image61

India can come back strongly

15. sid_candid profile image57
    sid_candidposted 13 years ago

A lot would depend on Sehwag, Gambhir and Sachin. Just a reminder India batted 180 overs at Napier and 225 overs in SL while facing similar mountains - hope floats.

16. saleheensblog profile image61

Australia is out of the third test. Aus 98 allout and Eng 157/0 already. I can't believe such decline mad

India having trouble in SA in 2nd test as well. Batting in overcast condition in SA is too tough and SA bowlers have made 100% use of the condition. India has no answer of the bounce and swing, they are busy saving their body the whole day. mad

17. Donnacha C profile image70
    Donnacha Cposted 13 years ago

yesterday`s woeful performance by Australia should`nt come as a huge surprise....Throughout the Ashes they`ve only managed to suprise the English once, and mosy importantly Strauss is a far better captain than Ricky Ponting ever will be....maybe Australia should focus more on their batting and stop the silly twitter rants...they look like fools now.

18. andyoz profile image87
    andyozposted 13 years ago

Despite my username, I am actually English so am loving the way we are playing at the moment.  Stayed up watching most of day one and I think it's one of the best days performances I have ever seen by England.  I admit that the Aussies were poor but even so, what a day!  I think the ashes could be ours after such a great opening day to this test!

It seems like England have it!  WHAT happened to Australia - that's a shocking collapse.

19. SiddSingh profile image61
    SiddSinghposted 13 years ago

India vs South Africa - Test 2

33 wickets in 3 days, match delicately poised! I hope Indian bowlers come good again!

20. sid_candid profile image57

Yes Indians can win the test but they need both Kallis and AB before lunch tomorrow.

21. sid_candid profile image57

So India wins the test. Great bowling from Zaheer, Sree and Harbhajhan. Hope there is a great test match at Cape Town too.

22. matherese profile image60
    mathereseposted 13 years ago

Let's talk about football instead shall we?

This a CRICKET thread !

23. andyoz profile image87
    andyozposted 13 years ago

We've won the Ashes!  Woooo.  Great performance by England, Aussies really looked poor.

24. saleheensblog profile image61

yeeeeeeeeeeees, India has won convincingly. tongue

Pakistan lost the series against Newzeland, yeeeeeeeeee tongue

Yes - just hope that they put in a good performance in the last test too!

finger crossed, Dhoni badly needs to win the toss. In both test India had to bat first in a overnight rain affected field under a overcast condition that is the last thing a team would want to do in a South African rock solid wicket.

25. saleheensblog profile image61

Whom do you support in this world cup?

Who will win this world cup? What do you think, which teams will be the semifinalist?

Bangladesh is one of the host of this world cup. I wish all the success of my country.

I think India, Australia and Sri-lanka are the top title contenders for this world cup. England can be dangerous too. I guess these four teams will go to the semifinal and any two of India, Australia and Sri-Lanka will play the final. My best bet is India.

26. sid_candid profile image57

India and Sri Lanka have the best chances but Australia will try to make it four world cup wins in a row.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)