All my Hubs removed in one swoop.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Hub Star profile image40
    Hub Starposted 13 years ago

I am not sure what to do.

I had about 20 Hubs.  Suddenly, all of them have been marked unpublished and not meeting the standards.

While I admit to experimenting on some Hubs:  I was trying my hand at movie reviews and perhaps I used too many movie quotes or too much content from others?  I don’t really know.  I was blending my content with other people’s content, which I thought would be okay.

Some of my Hubs on other topics, aside from the movie reviews, had gotten positive comments and they were all my content.  I went to a HubCamp 2 months ago and thought I was following the rules.

Even if some of my Hubs did not conform to the rules, it feels unfair for ALL my hubs to be removed. 

Any suggestions on what to do?  I have written a note to Hubpages, but from what I have read here, they may not be able to respond.

All input welcome

Thank you

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Let me get this straight, you used quotes and contents from other hubbers?  Is that what your saying?  If that's the case, then you might have answered your own question.  On hubpages that's frowned upon using other people's work, without their prior consent and/or crediting in your hub source properly.  Hence, somebody might have flagged your hub, due to the hubber feeling you might have stolen their content.  Not that I'm accusing you of anything, but I'm merely speculating at this time.

2. saleheensblog profile image61
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

mail the team to know what exactly happened to you http://hubpages.com/contact_us/ .

What does the warning shows?

3. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is done regularly to allow moderators the opportunity to review all hubs prior to re-publication. One could say that the non-compliance of some hubs create a presumption that others may also be of an unacceptable quality.

4. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They will respond - just bear in mind they're a small, busy team and don't expect them to drop everything and answer right away, especially if you're in a different time zone!

5. Hestia DeVoto profile image62
      Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you read the help section?  (It's the linked page in the upper righthand corner)  That has a good section that explains what not to do in a Hub.  From what you've said here, it sounds like some of your content was taken from other sites on the internet and that seems like one of the biggest no-no's you can do on this site.

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

http://hubpages.com/faq/#substandard

We'll need to know a few more details of your hubs.

For instance:

> How long were they? They should be in excess of 500 words in most cases and have other content such as pictures, video, polls etc.
    > Did you write on non pg13 topics (for instance drugs, gambling, sex etc)
    > Did you hint in any way that people should click your adverts?
    > Did you copy other people's work without attribution.
    > Tags that are too broad or inappropriate. For instance on a hub about cars, a tag like 'red' or 'socks' might be innapropriate especially if only mentioned once.

If you go into the hub and click on the warning message it should give you a more in depth explanation such as "Inappropriate tags" etc.

1. Music And Guitars profile image61
      Music And Guitarsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

500 words? Is this part of Hubpage guidelines, or are you commenting form experience?

1. profile image0
        TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In my opinion, original and quality content ranging from 300 to 400 words should be enough..

But experienced hubbers always advising to go for around 500 words and it may be go 1000 or more words depending upon the topic discussed in the hub.

1. saleheensblog profile image61
          saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HP suggests to write content in a range of 250-1000 word. hmm But I don't think a 300-400 word content has much quality if it's not a poem. I have to agree with Wry. 500 word at least. The more the better. Search engines also like a bigger content.250 words is good for a blog post but for a hub NOT.

Look at WryLit's post. It already has 130 words. OP has 175 words only to ask a question. So, how 250 words can form a quality content I don't know.

1. K9keystrokes profile image84
            K9keystrokesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Outstanding point!

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
              Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  I have trouble staying under 1000 words on most of my hubs!  But then, I've always had a lot to say!

3. CYBERSUPE profile image60
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Uaing content from others is a NO NO on HubPages.

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

@OP May be you are not that big of a star after all? big_smile

5. Hub Star profile image40
    Hub Starposted 13 years ago

Thank you for the comments and questions everyone.

Stevenni:  No I was not using content from other Hubbers.  I used some movie quotes and 2 or 3 articles written by others.  These were articles that may be shared freely as long as credit is given, which I gave.

I knew there was a chance of getting a duplicate content warning.  But from what I have read in these forums, duplicate content is not great, but not the end of the world either. I did not think it was grounds for having non-duplicate content removed.

Website Examiner:  Thanks for the info.  Maybe that is what happened.

Wry-lit:  Good questions.  Some were less than 500 words.  Maybe that is it, but at the HubCamp they clearly said 250 to 1000 words is ideal.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your content should be ORIGINAL. Period. Or Hubpages can send you...

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4152473_f248.jpg         packing.

2. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hub Star, from what I've seen of the hub camp videos they also said that an ideal hub has other content too - such as photos, polls, videos etc. Just 250 words on their own isn't really quality content.

"I used some movie quotes and 2 or 3 articles written by others."

Where did you get these? It's ok if you paid for the articles to be written and only you have ever had a copy of the content and all rights. It's NOT ok to take content that is published with a free licence on other sites (such as Bukisa) and just use it as you wish.

Hub Starposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I got a response from HubPages.  They basically said the hubs did not look enough like articles and that is why they deleted them.  They were not organized well enough and plus I had listed too many amazon items on one of them. 

WryLit, thank you for all you do around here.   The 2 articles were from ezineartles.com   Those are free to use on your website or facebook or blog etc....  as long as you don't change them and you use the Bio. 

But obviously they are not allowed on HubPages.

Hub Starposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here are their terms of use, in case you are curious:  http://ezinearticles.com/terms-of-service.html

1. WryLilt profile image89
            WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I am aware that you can reuse such articles, I worded that wrongly.

You cannot reuse such articles on hubpages, from what I've seen.

6. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Boot Camp huh? roll

There has to be somewhere that the square pegs go hmm

7. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 13 years ago

Good quality hubs should be original and of at least 3 or 400 words, however if they aren't it's not the end of the world either. But I guess that also depends on what the hub is about because I have several birthday hubs none of which have a lot of words but they arent meant to either as it is just a way I thought would be cool to say happy birthday to hubbers.
    The way you say you got content from others sure does make it sound like you did a lot of copy and pasting from somewhere weather that be here or elsewhere. Either way it is still not your original work. If the hubs are simply put on an unpublished status then you still have access to them right? so go in and edit each one to be your content and your content only and quality work. Add videos, pictures, polls, amazon ads, things like that but dont over do it either. I am not by any means an expert at writing hubs but these things are what work for me.

1. Wystan Wellington profile image56
      Wystan Wellingtonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just want to point out that even if it's your original work, if it has already been published elsewhere, HubPages won't accept it.

I once tried to post an article I had published earlier in an article directory wholesale. HubPages immediately slapped "duplicate contents" on it the moment I clicked the "publish" button and won't let it see the daylight. I had to re-write the article substantially to pass the duplicate content test.

8. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

3 - 400 words! Wow is that what I'm doing wrong? hmm

My hubs range between 1500 - 3500 words and still get read to end!
    Wow... I could have Published 400 hubs by now, if I'd split them!
    Fancy That huh ..... maybe should have gone to Boot Camp! hmm

1. profile image0
      pinkyleeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I said at least 3 - 400 but most of mine are 900 or more. Everyone writes differently and about different things. Oh by the way happy birthday even though I am not sure what day it is I do know it is this month.

9. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

As far as I was aware you could use duplicate content that you owned here at hubpages, allthough I can fully understand why they want to keep out ezine and other article sharing sites.

I would take a look at the comments from Hubpages and go over what you have done so far, remember that they are not trying to insult you, they want you to make money, because if you make money, they make money.

10. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Duplicate content that's your own is allowed but discouraged.  The duplicate content warning lets a Hubber see whether it was he who has posted his own article on another site, or someone else.  Duplicate content generally competes with itself in search engines, which is why it's discouraged (well, that and the fact that HubPages apparently prefers that Google knows the stuff is unique).

I just took a quick look at the top 7/8 or my own duplicate content Hubs.  The top 5/6 are stuff people apparently stole from me  ( mad  mad).  I'll deal with that later.  (Again:  mad!!  I'm sick of it!! But I digress.... hmm).  After the stolen ones there's one (of several I have for my own reasons) that got duplicate content because I was the one who posted it a couple of times elsewhere.  The one does have a 92 HubScore, and it does get some views.  So, a duplicate-content can see at least a little "light of day".  The only reason I leave a handful of duplicates (that are my own doing) posted has to do with the fact that I have many, many, more Hubs that are not.  It happens I wanted them in my "collection" of Hubs when I posted them.  Again - not recommending duplicate content or implying that it's fine (by any means).  Just pointing out that there can be misconceptions about duplicate content.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)