Hubs Removed

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (30 posts)
  1. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 16 years ago

I had two messages on my Hubs today so I took all of my Hubs down. I'm not going to fight to keep a hub going. I have seen some terrible hubs and they go on and on with never being taken off.
    My hubs were
    Do You Think Canada has better Health care? The Message was.
    This Hub does not conform to the HubPages community standard of quality. I guess they didn't like it because it was my opinion.
    The other one was
    Beanie Babies for Our Troops
    The message was
    DUPLICATE: Our system has detected a high number of duplicates of this Hub’s content on the Web.
    I couldn't find other hubs that were just like this one.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Notice the message read "on the web."  It means the automated checker was run on your content and it turned up as identical to lots of other internet pages, not other Hubs.  HubPages makes it really clear that they want unique and original content, so to complain you had that when clearly you didn't is rather pointless.

2. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
      Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Maddie wrote this in another hub:

"Since I've been hired for a job that didn't exist before, and was covered by several other team members in their spare moments, there's a large amount of backlog--hubs that have been in violation for months, even up to a year or more, without being flagged.  And of course, I come in and start digging through the backup, and I look like the bad guy, coming in and imposing the rules where things have been let slide.

What you need to realize is that, even if your hubs have been up for months without setting off a flag, that doesn't mean it doesn't break our rules, or that you shouldn't have to bring them into compliance when asked.  Nor do a large number of flags in a short period of time mean that I "have it in for you," or "don't like you," as has been implied on this and several other threads.  It simply means I'm working through the long queue of things that have piled up over the last few months, as HubPages rapidly expands."

My suggestion: send an email to the hubpages mailbox for further clarification of why your hub was considered sub-standard, etc.  Just because you have seen other terrible hubs doesn't mean you can get away with breaking the rules too.  Maddie wrote that there is a lot of backlog, so don't be surprised if these "terrible" hubs start disappearing.

3. profile image0
      terrygposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to hubpages!!

2. moonlake profile image81

Then tell me why I have counted at least 10 hubs of Sicko their all still there.
    You don't have to be rude.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Gamergirl, I have to admit I preferred your old hairstyle too!   But a chrome dome obviously makes you feel good, so go for it!

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Can't you take responsibility for your own deeds?
    And nobody is rude to you, btw smile

4. moonlake profile image81

Well, I'm glad I'm out of it. I was new at this and really didn't understand all of it. I made the mistake I guess and didn't realize I had. I really didn't see the web thing. My eyes aren't the best and sometimes I miss things. I guess I didn't realize the whole web was checked. I would think anything anyone puts on a hub is somewhere on the web.  Of course, I take responsibility for my own deeds but didn't realize I had done something criminal.

1. Inspirepub profile image74
      Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

If you open up a text capsule and type your own words into it, you will usually find that those words don't appear anywhere else on the web. It is only when you copy and paste that you find yourself with duplicate content.

There are plenty of places on the internet where you can go to copy and paste material.

There are very few places which will require that you produce high-quality, original content. That means those places get more and more credibility with the search engines over time.

While it is a bit more work in the beginning, you will find the traffic that comes from the search engines ranking HubPages well as a domain makes it worth your while to put in the effort. My Hubs often hit the first page of Google or Yahoo within days of being published.

Jenny

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

LOL you didn't do anything criminal. Just fix your hubs so they fit the rules of this place, and you are good to go smile

6. sanssecret profile image59
    sanssecretposted 16 years ago

Of course the information we type will be somewhere on the web. Presumably, that's where most of the research that goes into the hubs comes from.

But Inspire is right. You need to put that information into your own words. Make it original so it becomes yours as opposed to someone else's.

Why would folks come to Hubpages if they can get the exact same information 'word for word' somewhere else? You need to add value to whatever you find before you post it here. wink

1. embitca profile image83
      embitcaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

It's not completely circular. There's also plenty of us writing hubs based upon our own experiences and expertises.

7. lady luck profile image69
    lady luckposted 16 years ago

Yes copying and pasting is bad when you publish anything/ anywhere.

Plus, it will probably also tell you that you have duplicate content if you take a long of time summarzing what everyone else says on the topic without being creative and original.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 16 years ago

I think I may have read that hub about Health Care in Canada. As far as I recall it was only 1 paragraph, I think they expect hubs to have more content.

9. DJ Funktual profile image77
    DJ Funktualposted 16 years ago

Word of advice to new hubbers.  READ THE RULES.  i spent most of yesterday defending myself only to find out that I was wrong because I didn't read the instructions.

I hate hall monitor people who take it upon themselves to police us too.

This is not the case.  The people you feel are being rude are actually just trying to keep this tiny community together and don't like people who do what they want and then bitch about it.

You should check the thread.  When hubbers spam. 

I thought they were ganging up on me but not if you step back you get the right perspective.

10. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Let's put it this way:

Google allows you to search for up to 32-word long strings of text at a time.  If, in THIRTY TWO words (this does not include words like "the" or "a" "and" "or") your text does not deviate from the text presented by another source, then you're doing something wrong.  Research everything you want from the internet.  If you want a good Hubscore, take what you've researched and make it your own.

It's not hard.  I've done it over 100 times.  I always check my information versus the intartuberwebernets and make sure I'm not out and out wrong about things which are not based in opinion.

1. profile image0
      terrygposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I'll have what she's having.

11. mroconnell profile image70
    mroconnellposted 16 years ago

I've been largely impressed with how careful the staffers are about flagging things.  I had a hub that linked to my business website three times so they tapped me on the shoulder.  I lessened that to a single link and even though all my content was sort of about my business, they realized it wasn't commercial and it was really interesting so they let me keep the hub up.

And I think a lot of people flag my ironic marketing article hubs because they think I'm really marketing crappy products and hit the flag button before they can realize I am satirizing bad marketing writers.  But none of the Hub Staffers have ever bothered me.  It seems like they're very conscientious and looking for good content.

12. moonlake profile image81

To accuse me of trying to get away with breaking the rules too is absolutely ridiculous. I did no such thing and I didn't copy and paste.

1. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image79
      LdsNana-AskMormonposted 16 years agoin reply to this

moonlake -

Hang in there:-) 

Again, try not to let this glitch get to you too much...  I am still a student here; and working on understanding the 'way things work' around here. 

As we have discussed previous, computers are not always right, nor are people... but what HubPages requires - is for reasons that are meant to benefit all of us here on HubPages.

I personally understand the frustration (lol) that can happen when we are learning the ropes here.  I have concluded, that on any Hub I have and almost at any time - a flag can fly!  Now, I don't panic.  I try to understand 'why' or 'what' may have triggered the flag - and especially when I have done - at least what I think I am supposed to be doing???

Communication in these forums, like this... stinks.  People IMHO, tend to come across more stern that they would if you were face to face.  I know that I do for sure:-)

Hubbers who teach here, have been patient with me as I learn.  They are here to do the same for you too.

Hang in there.  Figure out what needs to be done and apply it.  See what happens from there... 

As I said earlier to you, HP is fair.  This has been my experience, after beating my head against a wall once or twice here.  And... it will probably happen again!  LOL

tMDg
      LdsNana-AskMormon

*if you stick with it here, you will be glad that you did:-)

13. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 16 years ago

You get that automated "duplicate" email message when there is an extremely large number (ie, hundreds or thousands) of copies of the exact content elsewhere on the web.  The probability that you and hundreds of other people wrote the exact same words in the exact same order on the same subject is about as close to 0 as you can get.

14. gamergirl profile image84

*takes the whiteout to her response as the Awesome Maddie has spoken.*

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Why do you need whiteout?  Nothing you said contradicted what I said... I was merely adding to it, not correcting wink

As Kathryn's also pointed out above, computers are not the be-all, end-all.  If you feel that your hub was wrongly flagged as duplicated, you can submit it for review or shoot an email to the team box, and I'll manually check it for you.

15. marisuewrites profile image58
    marisuewritesposted 16 years ago

Mistake Number One - don't take it so personal.  It's a learning process...we're all tryiing to help...but original material is a lot of work, so some of us get tweaked a bit if someone else doesn't submit orignial work.  Trust yourself to write something that others want to read...right from the heart.

No one is out to get you...but rules are there for the protection of the process and the writers.
    My suggestion is to just not "get huffy" -- smile, and continue to write.  It'll work itself out.

I did a google search and found several of my hubs on the first page or two...so it will pay off...give it time and write from your own head.  You can do it.   Hang in there and step out of the temper.   Marisue

16. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Kathryn,

I liked your old avatar, and I like your new avatar even more smile Such a cute nana - I really can't resist a beautiful woman wink

1. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image79
      LdsNana-AskMormonposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Hi Misha -

Why..... thank you:-)  So, are you to be our new avatar fashion critic here on HP? 

Maybe you could write a Hub on the 'best' avatars on HP... hey, not a bad idea!  But, not for me, you do it! LOL

I personally love gamegirls avatar.  It makes you stop and take notice of her, and want to know what a gal, who would be so raw - has to say.   Most likely, one would expect raw honesty from her....

gamegirl - in my book, your avatar rocks!  Apparently, you are not playing to guys like Misha! LOL

Also, your post has great suggestions.  I am constantly trying to whittle my sentences down.  I am a major rambler and must learn to say what I need to say in much shorter sentences.  I love your advice here and will work on applying these rules:-)

But Misha, nonetheless - every lady enjoys a nice compliment:-)

I hope moonlake hangs in there... I did and I am really glad!  We 'dummies' must understand that it is alright to be a student. LOL

Kathryn

17. gamergirl profile image84

Awww, Misha, you don't like my avatar?  sad sad sad

18. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Charlotte, I liked your old one way better. The color of your current one always reminds me of emmabalmer's job tongue

19. gamergirl profile image84

Well, I didn't want to parrot you, lady!  *giggles*

Basically, what I said was that if you're in doubt, email the Hubpages team.  That's kind of one of the things they're there for.  Every hub not posted is another opportunity for ad revenue lost.

That said, I never accused the OP of anything.  I was clarifying the whole copy/paste thing to make it -very- clear. 

One of the things I learned coming out of the Hublove competition is that some really amazing information can be packed into a hub between 300-400 words.  It may feel like a lot of work, but really it comes down to about five paragraphs (if you follow the rule that a paragraph is about five or six sentences.) 

So, like I said before, check your own writing versus some google searches.  If you have a string of words more than, say, six or seven words long that is exactly the same as someone else on the Web, rewrite that whole sentence.  Originality is REWARDED here!

The short version:  Check your content before you publish it and you should never have to worry about being flagged for duplicate content.  Write hubs that are over 300 words, because a hub even decently written and 300 or more words long will draw in your reader. 

The ultimate goal is to have a well-written, comprehensive article which is easy to read, easy to understand, and keeps your reader's attention.  So long as you're not regurgitating up the same old stuff everyone else on the web is saying, you've got it in the bag.

*hugs everyone and dashes back to work*

20. DJ Funktual profile image77
    DJ Funktualposted 16 years ago

Checkmate!

Welcome to the Jungle
    We got fun and games
    We got everything you want
    and HONEY WE KNOW THE NAMES.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)