your street

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. matherese profile image60
    mathereseposted 13 years ago

can you describe the street where you live? Are your neighbours quite or loud? Have you always lived there?

2. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

In a rural Texas setting, yet close to civilization.  Most don't realize my street is a street, including folks who have lived here all their life.  Those who stumble upon it are quite shocked it exists and even more shocked that it doesn't continue in the way they would expect it to.

I've lived on it for 26 years.

Nearest neighbors are peaceful.

3. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 13 years ago

That's the building I live in - you can see it's right next to some traffic lights. This must have been taken early in the morning, but during the day it's very very busy, and loud.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4269897_f248.jpg

4. KCC Big Country profile image85

How do you stand the noise?  I guess you get used it in the same way I do with the trains, dogs and the occasional donkey a few miles away whose heeeehaw seems to carry with the wind sometimes.

1. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi KCC!
      Actually, I hate not having noise around me. I grew up with it.
      I was raised in London with a railway line at the back of the house, a road at the front, and planes coming into land at Heathrow above. It's actually quieter here.
      Anyway, a lot of people move out because of the noise. I've been here for 15 years. It's a great place to be - right in the middle of the city.

5. KCC Big Country profile image85

Hi Camlo!

I've been a rural gal all my life so I've always had the trains, but they're the lonesome woooo wooooo clickety kind of trains, not the clankety hustle bustle trains.  It would take a lot for me to get used to the noise of a busy city. 

I would feel "watched".

1. camlo profile image83

The goods trains used to couple (I mean the wagons) through the night where we lived. The noise would scare me when I was very small.

6. KCC Big Country profile image85

We have two sets of tracks that run through our acreage and one often "lays over" while the other passes through.  So, we get a lot of sounds of brakes and we're not far from a crossing, so we here them blow for that.  We hear some coupling and uncoupling, but not much.  Some are louder than others.

7. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Everyone wants to go to my street, which actually is a long drive full of lights from the sky.  It's quiet here, but quite loud and obnoxious there especially when you consider all the photo-ops.  I've lived here for 1 1/2 years, but it feels like it's been 15 or more. hmm big_smile

1. camlo profile image83

Sorry Rafini, but I'm confused; lights from the sky, quiet here, loud and obnoxious there ...

Well, it sound interesting.

1. Rafini profile image83
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh, um, should I have mentioned my street is also a major us city? lol

1. camlo profile image83

Hmmm ... I'm still confused ...

there are plenty of clues....big_smile

1. camlo profile image83

It's okay Rafini, I'm a bit tired, and have shepherds on the brain.

nope, no shepherds. big_smile  well, maybe a Cybil.

8. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

I live a block away from the hospital and school. I only talk to one set of neighbors. Its usually quiet here, most of the people on my street are older...

1. camlo profile image83

Aren't the ambulances and their sirens loud driving in and out of the hospital day and night?

1. kmackey32 profile image65
        kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope, i dont ever hear them,  Im on a one way street and its a small town

9. Froggy213 profile image62
    Froggy213posted 13 years ago

Thats easy, Toby explains our street way better than I ever could:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyTY_oYR_c

1. camlo profile image83

YouTube won't allow me to see the video in my country.

I did film my street for this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faBvJ0fDJg8

10. Ninjah Kitten profile image61
    Ninjah Kittenposted 13 years ago

My street is the main street of my neighborhood. It is pretty quiet. I mean I hardly know my neighborhoods. Hardly even see them to get to know them o.o

Another thing..no sidewalks on any street in this neighborhood and no street lights. Really annoying backing out the drive way at night since you can't see a thing when it's dark...

11. Tammy L profile image69
    Tammy Lposted 13 years ago

The street I live on is a major thoroughfare for my area of the city.  It can take you from Grand Prairie, Texas to Dallas, Texas.  The intersection closest to my apartment also contains another major thoroughfare for my city.  This intersecting street can also take you from one city to another.

My neighbors (the two or three that I actually talk to) are either working people or retired so the noisy neighbors belong to another apartment complex.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)