Hubbers Experiencing Extreme Weather

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Been watching the news coverage of flooding/mudslides etc. in So Cal and wondering if friends like Tony0724 are safe. ARE YOU SAFE?

The Midwest and Northeast and Southeast have also had their share of extreme weather recently.

Curious who has been affected by severe (e.g., more than typical rain, flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, tidal waves,heat waves, snow storms, etc.for your locale)weather this year?

If you have (or even if you haven't)do you attribute weather conditions to global warming?

1. nell79 profile image78
      nell79posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think we've always experienced periods of extreme weather since the beginning of history. Science has told us that there have been massive floods thousands of years ago, too. So I don't know that I'd say it has anything to do with global warming. It's an interesting subject though smile

2. Hotplate profile image61
    Hotplateposted 13 years ago

Let me tell you what kind of a time I've had.  My house was destroyed in the wild fires that swept through So Cal a couple years ago.  So while I was having that rebuilt, I went to visit some friends in Tulsa.  While I was there, a tornado came through and dumped a huge tree on my brand new Corvette.  After just about a year after the rebuilding of my house started it was still not ready to live in, I was invited to come stay with some friends in Nashville.  Low and behold, the rains came and flooded everything.  Now I'm back at home and my newly finished house is taking on water like a sunken ship. 

So in the end, what you may consider extreme weather is just another day at the beach for me.

1. nell79 profile image78
      nell79posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow! I've never actually met someone with that kind of luck before! And yet you don't sound beaten down by it. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, eh? Sending good thoughts your way that you don't have to gain any more strength that way smile

We're getting poured on here, but we don't have a basement, so I'm not going to panic. Some of our neighbors on the other hand....let's hope they have a good pump sad

3. Mighty Mom profile image77

Hotplate,
    Your story tells it all. Remind me NEVER to invite you to come and visit me:-)!
    Glad your house is now rebuilt, tho! Up on stilts. With 1000 ft clearspace, I hope! MM

4. Hotplate profile image61

What are you gonna do besides buy lots of insurance and become a minimalist.  You'd be surprised how much stuff you really don't need, and how much you really appreciate the things that you do.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77

What? They allow you to live in So Cal as a minimalist?
    I thought there was some kind of code of extreme consumption you had to follow down there big_smile?

6. Hotplate profile image61

Good Point, I just tell everyone that everything is being custom made and is going to take awhle to get.  Then they envy me for being patient enough to wait for what I want instead of just dragging home whatever they had in stock.

7. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Nothing that extraordinary in Toronto Canada, just plain cold.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4303883_f248.jpg

8. calpol25 profile image60
    calpol25posted 13 years ago

Here in Carlisle UK, we have had it terrible, yesterday it was minus 14 all day and has peaked at minus 20 the week before.

We had an earthquake last night too, it was not bad, no one was hurt but its all the ice and snow we have had here, well thats what some bright spark has said anyways on tv.

However were all pullig through and getting on with it, as you do.

9. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

Well here in ireland, it is absolutely covered in Snow, we are not used to it so of course we do not have lots of grit, the planes are cancelled.  20% below freezing in the u.k. is the worst weather they have ever had too

10. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Yup..climate change is a myth alright roll

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I myth the nithe weather.

wink

Thnowing here.

(Inspired by your Linus avatar, UW.)

11. Mighty Mom profile image77

I will know climate change is for real when it either
    a) snows here, or
    b) polar bears show up on my lawn like in the car commercial

1. Joy56 profile image67
      Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

it could happen

12. andyoz profile image87
    andyozposted 13 years ago

Yep here in the northwest of England we are covered in snow.  The temperature has not been above freezing in a full week which is unheard of for where we live.  The roads are all snowed up, people can't travel or get to work, it's mad.

It's funny though as so many other countries have this as the norm, but we can't cope with it for a few weeks!

13. Mighty Mom profile image77

Extremes of temperature in either direction can really wreak havoc. I forget when it was, but Europe (France, anyway) had a heat wave and people died. I've been in San Francisco and Malibu, neither of which has air conditioning, and the temps have been 90 degrees plus. Yikes.

And yeah, snow throws everyone into a tizzy. Driving well in snow takes practice, and even then it's dicey cuz you can run into a patch of black ice and spin out (done that more times than I care to count when I lived in Boston).
    Best to stay off the roads entirely. I hope things warm up over there in the UK. Sending warm breezes -- or at least thoughts of same -- your way! MM

1. andyoz profile image87
      andyozposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Haha thanks Mighty.

It true what you say about driving in snow taking practice.  I was up in the Yukon last year and I was amased how people drive around quite happily when it's -30!  No one skids or crashed, they just understand how to drive on ice. 

I learnt a few lesson while I was up there so I feel a little safer when I drive now.  It's other people crashing into me that worries me still!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)