A Question.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)
  1. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I'm wondering why there's a political twist or religious slant to the HP forum threads. Even when there isn't really a point to slipping in one of the two - there they go ... appearing as if by magic.

Do you guys sit around all day having a good old go at folks you know in the real world about which way you/they swing (ha!) or whether you/they hit the pews on Sundays?

Or do you just save it for here?

Cos I'm thinking if it's the former there must be a whole lot of rowdy shenanigans when you bump into folks.

I'm imagining a typical real-life scenario ...

"hey how are you?"

"oh good good. Could be worse"

"yeah you got that right. You seen that new plan to help the the worst off? At least we're not too badly off huh?!"

"well no but that doesn't mean we should be paying for folks that don't have nothing"

"yeah maybe so but you know ... there's nothing wrong with helping out, even if it's indirect"

"look I'm all for helping and all that but what's wrong with a bit of free will? I like to choose where my money goes"

"well free will was a blessing, given to us by God, and ... "

"eh? What's that got to do with it? Don't go starting about all that nonesense"

"hey now come on, no need for that. I know God will forgive you - and so will I - but still ... don't go blaming Him for what's going on"

"I wasn't! You brought it up. I was talking about preferring the ability to choose and you start bringing religion into it!"

"No I didn't! I was just trying to make a simple comment!! It's hardly my fault you're a hard nosed conservative!"

"Ohhhhhhh we're back to that old chestnut. Well if it wasn't for some folks having their marbles in one basket you lefties'd have the country flat on it's back by now. Jesus!"

"So now you're blaming Him too? Typical, just typical. I'll forgive you for that one too but all the same you keep taking the Lords name in vain and you're gonna be the sorrier for it, you'll see!"

............................. smile

1. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you auditioning to be the next new Badcompany?

frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope. Why would you think that? I asked a reasonable question. I see many good threads started and somewhere in between I notice that some threads quickly descend once someone jumps in with 'damn lefties' - or 'well hubpages would allow that being liberals' or religion get's thrown into the ring, and I wondered if folks actually do this away from the internet.

I've actually heard the odd (real) converstaion that's dropped its pants from a good old 'heyyyyy how are you' to a 'you know what - shove your crap down your own throat' all because politics got a mention.

Am I not allowed to ask for fear of ... what?

1. sunforged profile image70
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I read that as a reference to BC's past propensity to have a conversation with himself.

Ohhhhh lol - that wasn't me having a conversation with myself, just a silly scenario, two folks chatting all friendly - then politics and religion got in the way.

I tend to talk to people. Occasionally I talk to Boo. The closest I come to talking to myself is thinking out loud smile

1. sunforged profile image70
              sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol, I caught that, was just guessing out loud that richard was making a joke - and that the common thread between his reference and your text was an element of solo conversation (albeit, in very different contexts)

1. livewithrichard profile image73
                livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

BINGO!!!  Sorry Frog I should have placed a smiley at the end smile

I'm not a particularly religious person so talking about religion or theology is usually limited to family conversations.  My fiance is a devout Catholic and I left the Catholic church when I was a teen so the discussions do arise. 

I'm a memeber of a men's social club and one of the main rules is no discussions of politics or religion.  It's a good rule because neither of those topics have any merit on the objectives of the club.

That said, I'm also a member of a political organization here in Chicago and as you can imagine that's all we talk about.

I think it's hard for those that are not socially active to discern the appropriate conversations when they are placed in a social setting. 

It's hard to keep things in perspective when you are on such a generalized forum such as the one here on HP because as a whole you want to participate in the conversations of the community and it seems that on the main feed all the conversations are mixed.  You see the last poster, he/she may be a friend or advarsary and you open the thread and make a comment of your own. And sometimes your comment is taken out of context smile

By the way, my original comment was a fun compliment, I love and miss Badcompany here in the forums. smile

2. profile image61
            logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps that was the only time he could have an intelligent conversation! smile

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

LOL!

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Love it.

I never ever ever discuss religion with people in real life. In my world people keep their religious feeling and beliefs to themselves. I also don't talk politics all that much either in real life.

1. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think thats the key. Most don't feel comfortable speaking about it in public. Especially when you don't know the thoughts/beliefs/feelings of those around you. That makes the internet so attractive. You can discuss contentious topics more freely.

4. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

It's just proves the point (if it needs proving) that we are s-o-o-o-o-o stupid, naive and gullible, so easily prone to brainwashing, that it is not even funny (though sometimes it is). big_smile

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I noticed that today with a few threads. you have to wonder... but someone is generally blaming someone else, or the ones who always say they're right! makes me think of the little ones in pre-k. hmm

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Such was the subject matter in the forum at Rome. Remember the slaying of Julius Caesar? Religion, politics, philosophy, back biting murderous wretches. Still better than the Colliseum, of course, unless you were Julius.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ah, very true! wink 

instead of the Roman forums, we have the virtual forums.

although I'll gladly watch Russel Crowe in the Gladiator- plus there's a great soundtrack! big_smile

6. yenajeon profile image71
    yenajeonposted 13 years ago

I couldn't agree more. All that anger and time spent researching evidence, that they claim they don't do, to sound smart when arguing in the forums is ridiculous!

7. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

in response to the OP, I am involved in activities that are Political and Religious as part of my weekly routine - at no point are the specifics of my belief structure a part of conversation. Its not necessary, actions say much more.

With both - its not about what you blather, its in what you act upon.

There is an element of evangelism and community building with each that may require some discussion but even the smallest of intellects should realize that unfounded and usually asinine quarreling on an internet based forum will never make a single iota of change towards whatever the quarrelers are blathering about.

..at least that's my .62 cents

*nods* Great way of putting what I was musing on.

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Frogs are fun! smile

... and very very tired smile

But I got my desk!

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Which is terrific (and I don't mean being tired tongue). How big is it? I love big desks, I can put a whole lotta droppings on them big_smile

Big. Huge. And solid. Loving my chair too. Been rocking in it. Now I need to stop making out that office furniture excites me. Next I'll be admitting that filing stuff has the same effect smile

1. Misha profile image62
            Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Niiiiice smile I need to buy a better chair, mine does not hold my weight anymore sad

9. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)