Fasting For God

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (52 posts)
  1. profile image0
    pettidee456posted 13 years ago

Do Fasting For God draw us closer to God?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It did me, when I fasted.  Our church had a two-week "Daniel" fast (vegetables and water only).  I received confirmation of hope about a burden I had for two people who I think were lost in sin at that time.   Later, as He promised, those two people showed their renewed Faith in Him.
      God is good.  He is faithful. And He answers from His heart to our desperate hearts.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image59
        Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes fasting will draw us closer to God. There are some things we need to fast about to recieve a breakthrough. Give God all the glory!

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Certainly. I understand hallucinations are often generated when depriving yourself of food for extended periods of time.

Go for it.

Fasting for God? lol lol lol

3. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deprivation heightens the sense of spiritual access because it changes your body chemistry when your body compensates. The human body produces and uses lots of chemicals (all drugs are chemicals too), and it is through the altering of our natural chemical state that we find ourselves in an altered state, which can then be interpreted in a non-standard context. Beyond fasting and beyond the religions that actually use drugs to induce supernatural receptiveness, there are religions that use pain as a form of body-chemistry alteration too. The more intense or drastic the chemical alteration, the greater opportunity there is for interpreting the experience while in the altered state as having some connection to the supernatural.

So, to answer your question directly, yes, it brings you closer to god, your ancestors, your spirit guide, your demons, the stream of life, the natural essence, animal or weather spirits or however you choose to interpret the sensory input you receive while your cognitive state is changed. People will try to argue with you whether or not it is "real," but you can tell them they have no way to prove that it is not real, or that they can't prove that god was not the one who made chemical states available as the mechanism to find him/her/them. So, it's all about what you believe it be.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Nah - Brenda sez that when she did not eat for 5 minutes - God made two people do what she wanted.

Sounds real to me. lol

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
          Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, well then I stand corrected.  big_smile

4. Claire Evans profile image62
      Claire Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, fasting is incredibly dangerous on a regular basis.  I've heard many priests say they have to fast before they perform an exorcism because it draws them closer to God but I feel it just gives demons strength.  They prey on the physically weak.

5. profile image49
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For perfection man tries to be in the image of Allah- Creator God; He does not need to eat and drink; by fasting within His commandments one does become closer to Him spiritually and attributively.

6. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mind fasting is very good!

1. Dian'swords4u profile image60
        Dian'swords4uposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe when it is done scripturally it can draw you closer to God.  It has to be done in the right heart.  If you are doing it to make a statement or sometimes as a group and following the grtoup it sometimes will not bring you closer to God.  It is a scripture based practice and I Know that God will reward this.

Amen! smile

1. Dian'swords4u profile image60
            Dian'swords4uposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen right back to you.

2. jay_kumar_07 profile image60
        jay_kumar_07posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Normally  fasting Is and will help to think GOD.
        Fasting for GOD is wrong. Fasting to GOD is correct. I think so.

7. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

For the record, I and my fellow-churchgoers didn't deprive ourselves of food, and therefore the argument that there was a chemical imbalance isn't valid.

I even made veggie chili, which was awesome!  The truth is that most meats aren't good for a person, and I for sure didn't starve on a veggie diet.  Matter of fact, it was fairly easy for me because I've always been more of a vegetable eater than a meat eater.   The only hard part was temporarily breaking the habit of cooking/eating anything that might've come to mind.

Now, there are people who've fasted and probably fast regularly in different types of fasting.    I've no idea if that causes any kind of chemical imbalance in them or not,  but I will say that, at least the way our Church did it, we used common sense like God gave us-----people who were diabetic and/or physically at risk or otherwise not comfortable with the idea of fasting weren't forced to fast or even recommmended to fast.

Brenda, I agree with your response. I may want to try the veggie chili . smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

Brenda - this is called "going on a diet," not "fasting." lol

8. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Very interesting subject, pettidee456.  I see even our resident Christian-mocking die-hard atheist Mark Knowles is transfixed by this discussion.

Not transfixed, just aware of the hallucinogenic possibilities of deprivation. You are too ill to fast I gather? Too bad - it will bring you closer to that which you call god.

Had a fast myself today. No food for 24 hours. You should try it.

1. profile image0

Don't give me any ideas Mark.  God might tell me (or some other Believer) to start fasting for your soul.  And what would you do then?

If you are under the delusion that by doing this, your Invisible Super Being will make me think the nonsense you think - feel free to fast for as long as you like.

You already think that you made two other people who were not behaving the way you wanted them to change and do as you wanted - so I say - go for it.

I will let you know if anything happens.

Pity you can't get the Invisible Super Being to do something positive instead, like maybe start providing us with honest politicians and helping us build a system that would allow us to elect them? Or feeding the starving? Or something good?  Instead of getting it to apply social pressure to force homosexuals to pretend to be straight. sad

Ask it for world peace why dontcha?

2. aka-dj profile image65
        aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry about Mark!

He quit cigarettes, that's why he's so cranky!

His brain was so full of toxins, it affected his judgment. He's getting better now that he's fasting nicotine.

He knows a lot about that kind of stuff, you know!

1. profile image0

heh.   I expect, therefore, for him to progressively get smarter, wiser, stronger.  He may even be leaping tall buildings in a single bound 'afore we even know it!   wink

1. aka-dj profile image65
            aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry, but that's not possible.

He already knows it ALL!

lol lol lol

Or at least, pretends to!  hmm

9. 2besure profile image79
      2besureposted 13 years ago

Fasting can bring you closer to the Lord.  It is important to be fasting for the right reasons and.  Not to be seen of for bragging rights to how long you have fasted.  You must also set aside time for prayer and reading God's Word. It is also to consider your health when deciding the type and length of your fast.

Agreed.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
          Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I tend to be an extremist.

10. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years ago

Okay, I'll bite, how does the denial of food bring one "closer" to a god? And, what does "closer" mean in this context? Sitting next to? Moving towards? Within the same galaxy? What?

11. profile image49
      paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

I explained it; just see some posts before, please.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, you did not.

12. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years ago

no fasting is done for god...fasting is done by humans for wanting something...getting close to god feel , feeling of doing something for god or what ever...in end it is human want and nothing to do with god...

13. profile image53
      MonPoposted 13 years ago

The spiritual danger of fasting is perhaps thinking that by fasting, we can influence God's behaviour. We whould not fast with the view that we can coerce God, it should be used more as a means to put distractions (which can include yummmy food and cooking)aside in order to focus on God and his will for our lives. Fasting is for us, not God. While most religions focus on what we can do for God, Christianity is different in that it is what God has done for us (in the death and resurrection of Christ) which is central to our belief. Therefore, while the experience may make help you to focus on God (or feel closer as some have said), God does not call on us to do it as a matter of course.
      I find fasting a usefulk time to give up something which steals my time. This may include TV, computer games, whatever you may put before, even idolise over, God. I would not anticipate radical intervention every time you fast but if you do i in accordance with Gods will he will most certainly bless it.

14. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Just fast long enough and you will be with your God allright.
      http://serve.mysmiley.net/angel/angel05.gif

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

15. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years ago

Fasting for good certainly will put you closer to your god much faster big_smile

1. frogdropping profile image76
        frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup. It's called moving past your sell by date. Expiring. Pushing up daisies. Turning up your toes. Carking it. Kicking the bucket. the final escape. Passed on. Deceased. Done and dusted.

Though I expect fasting to the point that you drop dead to be a rather painful MO.

Not sure how fasting really causes anyone to become closer to god. I can see the validity in it causing hallucinations though. Which I'm afraid is not quite the same.

I can't quite see (truly) how eating veg only will cause some kind of physical spiritual event. My sisters (extreme) vegetarian friend has never yet found anything remotely spiritual occur - and she's had plenty of practice/time for it to happen.

Which is a good job because otherwise she'd struggle to work, drive, function etc etc.

And you guys do know that whenever someone ends up in court and declares "god spoke to me and ... " they're rarely declared anything other than screwed up - right?

16. profile image0

I find it the biggest hypocrisy of religion to encourage people to fast for god when at the same time so many people around the world have nothing to eat and naturally "fasting" to death including children! Big joke!
      Be happy that you have food and ejoy it.

1. profile image49

If one does not fast; will that improve the lot of the poor?

2. Frank Menchise profile image50
        Frank Menchiseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Home Girl, I believe you are right, when food is there to enjoy just enjoy it! Now, speaking for myself I feel that fasting could be compared to anything else we who believe do for God, so, fasting for me is equal as saying a prayer to God. It is all there in our heart and mind, it is like saying to God that we believe in him.

17. profile image0

May be better agricultural conditions? or less war? Or real help?
      Or should I give away what I have (not much), and go and live on the streets in rags from solidarity with world's poor?

1. profile image49

I think no-one has any objection if better agricultural conditions are provided and no was is waged; it is related to everybody religious or without a religion.

It needs concerted human efforts.

18. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Give it a rest.

19. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years ago

The more people fasting for longer the better I say.  It should be encouraged and maybe even taught in schools, even get a branch to go around knocking on peoples doors selling it.  Later we could whip up an inquisition and torture any non-fasters, dip a few witches (no names mentioned) and then go to war with those others who fast in the wrong ways. All for god of course.

20. elayne001 profile image78
      elayne001posted 13 years ago

Fasting is to voluntarily refrain from eating or drinking for the purpose of drawing closer to the Lord and requesting his blessings - it has always existed among true believers. It humbles you and you thoughts are drawn towards your creator. Quit mocking God, please. Going without food without a cause is just dieting or starvation.

1. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anyone - including me - is mocking any god in these forums. The people who claim to be following a god but who are actually just trying to impose their own strange moral standards on others is another matter.

2. profile image49

I agree with you.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

I respectfully disagree. No one is forcing beliefs on anyone. This is a simple discussion for those who fast.

21. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

"Fasting For God"

Give it a rest.

Why? No one is forcing you to fast for God.

22. jay_kumar_07 profile image60
      jay_kumar_07posted 13 years ago

Pl Taste[not ate] the food If you feel hungry .This is a fasting for stomach.
      Each part of our body needs different kind of fasting.
      Which part do you want.

1. jay_kumar_07 profile image60
        jay_kumar_07posted 13 years agoin reply to this

pl Any body..

1. pennyofheaven profile image79
          pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you fast the mind then you are less likely to cling to the impermanence of our physical existence.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)