Megachurches

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ruach Eishposted 13 years ago

What does everyone think about the issue of megachurches?  Especially those of you in America where I know there are lots of them.  Are they good or bad?  (I reserve my own views at this point, I want to hear what other people think/believe).

1. tritrain profile image70
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just yesterday I saw what looked like a giant ship, all lit up, but sitting on land.

It turns out it was a GIGANTIC church!

At some point I would think that the church ministers begin to lose touch with their flock.  Wouldn't you say?

1. profile image0
        Ruach Eishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Definitely, and that's not good for anyone. Not the Pastors, not the congregation, not the Lord and not the non-Christians we are supposed to demonstrate the light to.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is people "demonstrating the light" that is the problem. wink

Once you get the ridiculous notion that you have something that you are "supposed," to share out of your heads - the mega churches will vanish.

2. melpor profile image91
        melporposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I never care for belonging to a megachurch. Money is obviously the driving force here and the pastor does not supposed to be enjoying this much prosperity. In the end the closeness of the pastor to his congregation suffers.

2. Stump Parrish profile image60
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am sure the gay anti-gay preachers all dream of running a cash cow's. Look at the pool of young males they have to choose from, amen. Please explain the need of a $250,000 chandalier in a church. Does god grant wishes according to the size of the church property? The way churches spend all that tax free money she must. Churches aren't happy with simply having a tax free status anymore. No they heard god tell them to open schools daycares and in the case of one mega church here in SC, a large truck part assmbly plant. These businesses dont have overhead, labor or taxes to worry about so they can and do undercut legitimate businesses in the community. I'm getting a lttle tired of watching the list of peoples who are being persecuted, attacked. or financially burdened for the glory of a pagan religion wanna be who couldnt even come up with an original line of bullshit.

1. profile image0

Brilliant!!  The way you get yourself across as much as what you say.  Thankyou very much for replying.  We don't as far as I know  have any churches as bad as the one you describe here in the UK but no wonder you're fed up.  They're not real churches at all as far as I can see - just money-making scams.

1. Stump Parrish profile image60

Why thank you, that really brightened  morning. I agree with you and will take it one step further, all churches have turned into a money making scam in one form or fashion. Just my opinion but There is another mega church here in my hometown where the preacher is just a little preoccupied with money. Each sunday if the collection plate isn't as full as he would like, he will lock the doors and keep passing it until he feels they have given enough. He is taking food out of the mouths of his followers and drives his Benz home to a $500,000 house the poor people in the church built him to live in. 

It has become just a little too easy for mainstream christians to distance themselves from their more radical fellow believers. Anyone any christian disagrees with is simply labeled as not being a true christian, lmao as I obviously haven't had the privilege of meeting my first true christian. I'm 53 and not holding my breath.

1. profile image0

I have certainly got more of a response than I expected with this thread.  I would like to think you have just met your first true Christian in me - but you have to be the judge of that.  In any case I don't actually attend a church at all because none of the ones that I've ever been in have ever been what I believe a 'church' should be according to what I have read in the Bible.  I think they stopped being real churches when they started building buildings especially devoted to the purpose of worship many centuries ago.  I would rather go to 'church' meeting in China or North Korea where they have to meet in open fields at the dead of night to try and avoid being arrested and tortured for their faith.
            The funny thing is I often find myself agreeing with my atheist friends having denounced the established church for precisely the same reasons that they have - it just so happens that I have faith - but it would appear to be a different sort of faith than the kind manifested by most of those who call themselves 'Christians' in the so-called developed world these days.
            The reason I started this thread is because I am intending to write a hub on the subject of megachurches - why they are biblically wrong - and I would like to say that you have certainly helped my research and given me more information and ammunition.  Thankyou.

"I would like to think you have just met your first true Christian in me - but you have to be the judge of that. "  I hope you realize that my taking that with a grain of salt is no reflection on you. And to be honest I dont think it's up to me to judge whether or not you, or anyone elsefor that matter, is a true christian. Again no disrespect intended with that statement. I honestly don't care about a persons beliefs. I worry about how those beliefs will affect me, those I care about, and those the holier than thou set condemns, based soley upon their beliefs. How does anyone justify this scenario...a christian professor spends his entire life studying the bible and the acient languages it was written in. His fellow christians accept him as a knowledgable christian and an excellent professor for years. It comes out that this man is gay and imediately every bit of knowledge he has is dismissed and or discounted simply because he is gay. His knowledge didn't change, the sorry excuses for christians simply changed their impression of him and decided his knowledge was no longer needed or valid based upon this decision. This is what passes for intelligence here in America's bible belt. And they are proud of it, amen.

1. profile image0

Words fail me.

3. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the back door is as big as the front door - people don't tend to stay long.  I wrote a bit about the pentecostal mega churches in my hub "throwing the baby out with the bathwater"

Checked that one out and it lead me to the hub on the new sect of pastafarians  your creating. I am a little concerned about this as I am in the habit of making my own pasta and sauce . Am I committing a form of blasphemy by doing this?

1. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it means you're non-denominational smile

That's the nicest thing I've been called all week, thanks.

If I had to pick a denomination I believe I would select the 100 dollar bill denimination.

4. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Prophets = profits. smile

2. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

MegaChruches, larger cages for God?

Why did that make me think of the freak show at a traveling circus, lol. Step right up folks and see what the fuss has been all about. Only $1 for the adults and kids are free. Be sure and stop back tonight when we move god to the dunk tank.

1. kirstenblog profile image79
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds about right lol

3. TahoeDoc profile image78
    TahoeDocposted 13 years ago

I'm not inclined to like any churches, BUT if I was a Christian, I would be very upset at these mega-churches. They seem to be teeming with corruption and hypocrisy and that reflects badly on all Christians.

1. profile image0

Very very very true - you've hit the nail on the head, hole in one.  (I speak as a Christian myself).

4. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I think people like having something to belong to. It provides a sense of community. America in particular is also in love with money and wealth, so it's more fun to belong to a community awash with gold. If you can do so and feel that you have the blessings of God while you are at it, that works out even better.

The guys running the churches are businessmen, selling a product, a theatrical experience based loosely on convenient bits of the Bible. For the followers who are having orgasmic blasts of spiritual ecstacy and fall weeping and writhing on the floor and all that while attending, I say, "More power to them." I spend my money on booze to get there, they spend theirs on the guy in the pastor suit. Who am I to judge?

I will say that God, if one exists, probably doesn't have anything to do with any of that stuff though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)