Duplicate Content flag

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Zubair Ahmed profile image76
    Zubair Ahmedposted 13 years ago

Is there anyway that a feature can be added to Hubpages that identifies where in a hub it thinks there is an instance of duplication.

I recently published a hub which was identified as duplicate, I spent hours researching the topic and typing it up, once published in hub pages it was flagged as duplicate, I would like to see the system identify and mark which part of the hub page it feels is duplicate.  That would give a person an easier task to remedy the problem rather than having to delete their hardwork.

Thank you

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.hubdefender.com/

That site may help.

1. ImChemist profile image58
        ImChemistposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this site , i will try it.

1. Julie2 profile image60
          Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

you are going to love it!

2. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand that HubDefender will identify if your Hub has been copied elsewhere but how does it work to tell you that you are plagiarizing? ('cause those are two really different functional scenarios)

1. WryLilt profile image87
          WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ooops sorry, misread the question.

However I think hubdefender would work in the same way - identifying parts already on the internet. It shows it even if it is only some of the article.

2. Edweirdo profile image84
          Edweirdoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HubDefender will work either way - it does not assume that the hub is the original source, but rather scans the hub and searches online for any duplicates, regardless of which source came first.

So a hub copied from existing content will still be displayed as duplicate content in HubDefender...

1. profile image0
            TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is it possible to find duplicate content even before publishing the hub?

1. Edweirdo profile image84
              Edweirdoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure how there could be duplicate content for a hub before it's published, unless it is intentionally being copied (for example using an already-published blog post as a hub).

Anyway, HubDefender would not be able to search an unpublished hub, but you could manually search for duplicates by cutting and pasting lines from it into Google...

1. profile image0
                TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought it also works like copyscape so raised that question.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

An easier was is to make sure your write everything in your own words. And that if you have published it elsewhere that you rewrite it enough to be original.

3. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

If you have any articles with similar content not on HubPages but elsewhere , even if this content is your own work, this will most likely trigger the flag.

The feature is already in the TOS for this site. Write original, unique content not found anywhere else.

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I'd like to know what percentage of a hub being duplicated counts as duplicate. - 10%- 40% - what exactly?

I've got three hubs at risk - one identified as duplicate. Well they are jokes I thought really funny.

I've since re-written most of them, but obviously not enough because the duplicate tag still stands.

I want to know the percentage because I really don't feel up to re-writing jokes - it's not my forte, so to speak.
    I have another jokes hub which is also copied content but so far without the warning notice, and a quotes hub which HP staff allowed after consultation.

The new Google algorithm takes copied content into account, and so it is important to only publish original content.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why would HubPages answer that, and thus provide disreputable Hub authors with an exact formula?

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ahh...good point!

5. Jule Romans profile image95
    Jule Romansposted 13 years ago

This is an interesting question for me, too. I have avoided rewriting any of my older work until now.
    Some of it was work-for-hire stuff I did a  really long time ago- much of it never got published. At any rate, I revised well (I think).  I don't want to rip of anyone who already paid me for unique content, even if it isn't published.

I am just waiting to see what happens before I try any more rewrites.

Does anyone knwo how long it takes before something gets flagged?

6. Zubair Ahmed profile image76
    Zubair Ahmedposted 13 years ago

Thanks to everyone that replied...Although there have been some real good suggestions made - unfortunately non-of them allow me to identify what/where exactly is this 'Duplication'.  This should be a feature that Hubpages can develop into the existing platform.
    I don't want to be paying someone else for checking something which has not even been published. The feature should be a little like spell & grammar checker in word. There has got to be a developer in the community that can string together some code that will check and identify an hub with duplicate content then high-light those areas.

1. ravko profile image63
      ravkoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I was accused of having duplication on another site, I first put every sentence one by one of my article in to the google search bar to see if it was a duplicate, there was 3 sentences that were, I couldn't get them to unlock my hours of hard work so I finally just closed the entire account and came here...Now before I even publish any article I use a plagiarism checker, and enter every single paragraph of my work into it searching both google and yahoo at the same time...If any of your sentences or paragraphs are on any other site it will show you exactly which one, that in turn showing you exactly where the duplication is, now I'm not sure how reliable the plagiarism checker is, so I am going to put each and every sentence into the google search bar and the plagiarism checker to see if they both find the same results if they do then I'll stick to the checker it's quicker, I'll have to wait a bit tho since all my paragraphs I enter in the checker point directly to my other hard work I finally ended up closing...I have a hubpage ready to go but will wait till the checker says 0%...Here's an example I took your 1st paragraph of your posting in here and put it in the checker the results were - Total Matched Phrases / Total Submitted    33% (1/3)  thats both google and yahoo but it only found this "Thanks to everyone that replied" as a duplicate, if you click the number that it gives you under Google Results Found in this case it said 8+ it'll take you to every site with the exact paragraph/sentence...Like I said tho not sure how reliable the checker is it's called an article checker,

7. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I don't know which hub of yours was marked duplicate, but it looks like it could pretty much have been any of them. Here are a few of yours where substantial portions at least are duplicate:

http://hubpages.com/hub/AdsenseGoogleMoney
    http://www.adsense-how-to.com/articles/

http://hubpages.com/hub/What-is-a-Keywo … elect-them
    http://www.squidoo.com/articles-keywords (and others...)

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-choose-A … ney-online
    http://www.articlealley.com/article_1613807_81.html (and others...)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)