Linking has become so perverted that people don't follow links

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I recently published a hub about.. well, never mind, because it doesn't matter.   

In that hub, I made two important links.  One of them referenced a specific change in law in the state I live in and the other referenced similar laws in other states.  I made two other links of lesser importance.

The comments so far indicate that people don't bother to investigate the links at all. I have had two questions about specific states and one about my state, all of which could have been answered by following the links I gave.

I am honestly surprised.  When I have questions about something I read, I always investigate any links that seem promising.

But I'm from the dinosaur age, when that is why we created links: to provide detail and related information rather than to feed Google.

Is that the normal state today? Ignore links because you don't think of them as anything of value to human readers??

1. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pcunix I’m not surprised at all.  No attention span?  No perseverance?  “I want what I want, and I want it now.”

It’s like the hubber that pops into a forum thread with a question that was already answered.  I can understand this if the thread were up to 10 pages, but this happens all the time when the question was either answered in the first couple posts, or in the last couple.  Sometimes the post immediately before the newcomer’s post. 

Same thing with hub comments.  I usually politely respond, but in reality, the question/answer was already thoroughly covered in my hub.

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Actually that squid who has hundreds of no-follow links to a website of mine is sending me a lot of traffic. I'm surprised at the amount of traffic referrals.

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, sure - I get traffic from links too, so SOMEBODY follows links.

I'm just surprised by people with questions who I thought would have had enough curiosity (because they DID have questions!) to follow links that might answer their questions.

3. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

People want the quick fix. Find the answer they are looking for in one stop.
    Like you, I will look at relevant links when researching a topic or when I find an interesting story online.

And by tracking how backlinks from places I have linked I see they do not generate that much traffic. People may look at the link, but not follow through to Hubpages. I get most traffic from Google.
    I do find that when I Google something and I get to a 100-200 word paragraph and I need to follow here...and then here...before I get the information I am searching for...I don't go any further. Forget that link, I start over.

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Really? so 359083 people have accidentally gone through my referral trackers? I would argue that they are ten times more likely to go through anchored text than they are through an ad block.

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know, I know, I know:  I'm just wondering why people with obvious easily answered questions didn't bother.

5. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Any way, I went back and made it more obvious by adding "link shows overview of State laws" and similar text. 

I think maybe I have to start doing that.

6. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Pcunix,

You answered already your own question, yet I was going to suggest that you may want to put in a one liner to extend that there is more information (or a readers most common question is answered by) clicking on the link.

If I have a question some pages of articles don't always reflect that my question may be further answered by clicking a link and reading further, especially if there is no reference to that.

7. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I'm convinced most people don't actually read hubs - they just skim read and miss all the important points.
    Not everybody obviously, but enough to make you wonder.

8. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

I basically agree with most of what PCUnix says about linking and backlinking, quality, etc., in these forum discussions. I consider this whole 'way of doing things' is a weakness in the information SEO system everyone uses - that can be exploited.  I have a hub (no surprise there big_smile) that talks about how to exploit the current dung heap of dis-mis-junk-information with backpinging machines faking link online info-orgasms.

If you can't join them - beat them smile 

and hello to everyone on HP from a new 'face'.

9. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Hi recommend and welcome to Hubpages smile

10. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

If I had a question on something I was reading, or read, I'd look for any links before asking the question.  Other than that, though, I confess to ignoring all links in anything I read (most of the time, anyway).

I mean..   If I spot a Hub I want to read, I want to read that Hub - not other stuff.  I think the reason (at least in my case) is that I don't go searching for reading on the Internet.  If I search for information I only read sites like .edu, .gov, .org (or at least some subject-specific site) (Mostly because the only time I search for info is when I'm researching for writing).  If I've searched, then I guess maybe I might click on links if the article I find hasn't already said everything I want/need to know.  I don't like to stray too far from the search page I found, so I'm more likely to go back and see the rest of the list than to click a link and get moved "farther out" from the search page.  Maybe this is because I'm from a dinosaur age, but I don't like aimless clicking from one thing to another.  If I click from a search page and don't like what I got, I click back and start back on the list.  If you don't stick to that kind of thing you'll get swept out to "Internet sea".

If I'm browsing for reading, I stop when a Hub peaks my curiosity or interest.  Lots of times it's the Hub or the author that I'm interested in reading - not necessarily the subject.  Then, too, if I'm looking for reading (as with reading on HubPages), I have a plan-of-action with regard to the process of browsing for Hubs.  I won't deviate from that plan-of-action (and all the links in the world aren't going to make me!!  lol. )  On top of it, links are the ugly blue color they are on here, which makes me resist them even more.  (I just happen to hate blue.  hmm  )

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)