Google Ranking not changing but traffic is

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (30 posts)
  1. arizonataylor profile image80
    arizonataylorposted 13 years ago

I have multiple sites that haven't moved a bit.  They're still on the same page, at the same rank, for the same key words.  The traffic for those hubs, particularly one, is down over 80% though!  Any thoughts?  It's never been this low for those sites.  I would understand this if the rank and page had changed, but it hasn't.

1. Bill Manning profile image68
      Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure your pages are still on the same page? Google customizes searches for each person. So if you look at your own site a lot it shows your site higher than others.

Try searching for your keywords and pages using Scroogle:
      http://scroogle.org/

1. snakebaby profile image66
        snakebabyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is quite interesting to know, and a bit hard to believe. What is scroogle?

Scroogle is simply a site where you can type in a keyword or phase and it will show you what position it is in, minus your personal search patterns that Google puts on everyone. smile

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bill, how accurate is this when comparing to google results?

The reason I ask is that when I search for a keyword common to several of my niche hubs they come up at 5,6 and 7 with a xomba backlink at 12.  Google shows one at 7, the backlink on page 3 and the others are gone. 

My google traffic for these three has gone from well over 100/day to about 15, which fits with google but not with scroogle.

Normally Scroogle is pretty accurate. However because of the sudden changes the last few days it very well could be that it is not accurate right now.

I'd wait a few more days and check it again and see what you get. smile

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good point, and I'll bet you are correct - scroogle simply hasn't caught up with the changes yet.  Unless of course, it simply does a google search without personal parameters and reports those, whereupon it should be right.

2. snakebaby profile image66

I still have hard time to believe google search results show your personal patterns. I've searched a lot for keywords related to my hubs or sites, but absolutely no ranking for any of them ever changed because of my own behavior. For example, when search for gift ideas, my site has been on 7th, 5th, 4th, and 5th, then completely disappeared, then showed up again on around 4th, now it is on 2nd page. No matter how much I want my sites to be on top, no matter how many times I clicked on them under particular keywords, no change, period! One site simply disappeared one day after I clicked on the it, then magically reappeared some days later without me doing a thing. So I found this "personal pattern" thing highly unreliable.

1. rmcrayne profile image91
              rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure no expert, but seems to me that your post somehow supports the point you are trying to counter.

Happy to see little support smile. I randomly thought about it more, to me it makes no sense at all. google robot doesn't read your mind, clicks have never helped in any ways. Not sure where Bill got that idea from.

1. ThomasE profile image69
                  ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They personalize it to YOUR browsing habits. The google results you see are different to everyone else... depending on what you have searched for in the past.

What you do doesn't really affect the SERPs for anyone else though, as far as I can see.

But how does google know which one is your site? Does it base on the number of times you click on your own web site regardless if keywords used or not and what? I'm confused, not sure what to think now. A more detailed explanation on how google sorts things out with personal search patterns would help a lot.

2. BaliMermaid profile image58
      BaliMermaidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The day the Google Farmer Mod took affect my best hubs traffic tanked with a loss of 85% - BUT their position on the search results was still number 1 on page 1 !

Revenue down by 45% so with such conflicting results hard to tell what the heck is going on.

BUT THEN

One and one-half days later - those same Hubs traffic went through the roof with one of them being over 2300 visits in 24 hrs at this moment.

Position 1 and 1 still - Revenue up 48%.

So it appears to be what ever they did is like balancing on a fulcrum point and I hope it does not keep going back and forth - no complaint if it stays on the up side all the time smile

3. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've seen a similar thing. For the first few days after the update it seemed that the various google data centres were showing widely varying and inaccurate results (don't know if they have caught up yet). We were checking results and one person would see a number 1, someone else would see a number 3, another person nuumber 10 and yet others at different positions. They were all over the place.

That could be down to personalised results and/or people being signed into their google account but for well over a year I've made sure that everything relating to google collecting data from me is unchecked, because personalised search results can skew things.

Anyway, one thing I definitely did notice was that I'd only lost ranking for some search terms. So if you've got hubs that previously ranked high for more than one phrase, then you might find you're now only ranking high for one of them. You can try and check on your hub stats - keywords - click through to google and see where you are on the results for them. Might not be wholly accurate as things still seem to be moving around, but you'll get some clues.

@snakebaby Some info on personalised search:  http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/ … ryone.html

There's also a link to a study on the kind of changes personalised searches can make on this page

4. kschang profile image87
      kschangposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've found that my overall hubpages traffic is down about 20%. It was in the 1400-1500 range. A few days ago it was down below 1000, then it's back up to 1200.

My formerly top hub, usually about 250 hits a day, is down to under 100. However, the other hubs seem to have all increased traffic SLIGHTLY.

2. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 13 years ago

My 24 hour traffic continues to fall down. Its definitely about 50% now. I'm trying not to get disappointed about all this cause its not something I directly did, and it has affected many hubbers, and people from other sites..

Perhaps google's algorithm did something else besides change ranks, or it could be random?

3. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 13 years ago

My traffic increased greatly today and is back to normal. I am still seeing a drop in the number clicks I generally receive.

1. TahoeDoc profile image78
      TahoeDocposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mel, I was just looking at the same thing. My traffic was never that impressive, but definitely went down about 50%. Now it's back up (even organic, google traffic, not from other countries only), but I've had zero clicks over the last few days. I never got a ton, but I'd have had at least a few in that amount of time?? Wonder what's up with that. I'd have thought the clicks would follow the traffic.

4. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

My click rate has taken a severe tumble too.

1. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

My ctr has always been fairly bad, but it seems worse now. I don't know if the Google algorithm contributed to this or not.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My ctr took a dive, but is back again.

2. Peggy W profile image95
      Peggy Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mine is definitely down also.

5. Hestia DeVoto profile image60
    Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years ago

As a relatively new hubber who doesn't have a lot of hubs, I've seen almost no change in my traffic or earnings despite all the Google shuffling.  I find that interesting.

6. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 13 years ago

My google.com traffic is lower for more than 60% when compared to last week traffic.

There is no change in the other traffic sources.

7. Avamum profile image81
    Avamumposted 13 years ago

I hate to sound like a broken record, but my traffic is down as well - about 30% today...just one day after I heaved a huge sigh of relief as my traffic remained satisfactory over the weekend so I thought I somehow escaped the Google algorithm thing.  Apparently not!

1. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe your traffic is better on weekends. Personally, mine usually is.

8. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

There are other search engines around, namely Bing and Yahoo, and traffic from them could easily overpass Google in some cases...

9. michifus profile image57
    michifusposted 13 years ago

@snakebaby - To give you an example of a heart stopping moment I have just had, and my growing dislike of Google Chrome.

One of my hubs is sitting at 2 in Google in IE, Firefox and Safari. As it should, why should any search engine pull different results? Well Google Chrome positions this at really odd positions, and my last check had it at 6th, but over the past few days its been really erratic, but has been for about a month, certainly pre algorithm change.  If I search on Chrome in incognito mode, it gives it the same position as the other search engines, therefore the results it shows are variable, which must be to do with my search patterns which it gets from my history/ip address/whatever. Personally Im fed up with it deciding what I want to see and what  dont.

Ive stopped using it, as the results that it brings up based on what it thinks I want to see are utter rubbish.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)