revenge is it ever justified

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (26 posts)
  1. MAGICFIVE profile image64
    MAGICFIVEposted 13 years ago

Someone has REALLY done you wrong BIG TIME!  You want to "get them back".  Will it really make you feel better?  What do you think?  Is revenge EVER justified, and DOES it feel good - or does it just make you feel worse?

1. yiasa profile image61
      yiasaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It will make your feel like heaven. But because of your revenge somebody will be damaged and that will make another revenge burning up against you. When you fall a victim of that revenge then someone your close will start another revenge thus destroying the mankind very slowly but painfully.

2. speedbird profile image59
      speedbirdposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Revenge is neverjustified..when you feel wronged, the best plan is to start living well and let go any wrongdoings done to you

3. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

To some extent, I do believe in revenge still.  Although when I was younger, I used to believe in it quite a bit.  However, as i've gotten older, I come to realize certain forms of revenge is unnecessary and it serves no purpose.  It's almost like using the flawed idealogy of two wrongs make a right.  The type of revenge I believe in now that's justified is when you have doubters who claim, your not good at something.  Then you take all that hatred to inspire you to make them eat their very words.  that to me is a very satisfying sense of revenge, as i enjoy proving people wrong about me. 

however, if we're talking about revenge as in screwing over somebody because you feel they wronged you in some way, then I don't believe in that.  If you did believe in that type of revenge, then you're really no different than the enemy your trying to destroy.  that type of revenge should never be tolerated and/or accepted.

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

Makes me feel great.

3. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Revenge? Is it ever justified? Neither should happen, because the higher moral ground is to accept what happened and move on.

Revenge is a selfish action. Will someone feel good about doing it? It's a false sense of right, which means it's a wrong feeling to have, because it's morally wrong.

Revenge = Justice? Myth. wink

4. knolyourself profile image59

"It's a false sense of right,"
    How come the perpetrator gets away with it and the victim is the only one who suffers?

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Better question- Why did the person become a perpetrator to begin with? If the person got away with it matters none.
      The "victim" only suffers as long as they choose to suffer. wink

5. knolyourself profile image59

"Better question- Why did the person become a perpetrator to begin with?" OK why?

And you're expecting an answer? lol

Okay, I'll try. wink
      Chosen ignorance or a Lack of Knowledge is the only conclusion. wink

6. knolyourself profile image59

"Chosen ignorance or a Lack of Knowledge is the only conclusion." I agree with that. So they steal my land and should become a wanderer, because they know not what they do.

7. katiem2 profile image61
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

Interesting

8. theseus profile image70
    theseusposted 13 years ago

Revenge, can it ever be justified? NO.
    Can it make you feel better? The moment you've done it, maybe. But after the angst passed and you had the time to reflect on your actions, you will realize that it was not worth it. You can never regain what you have already lost.
    "Hate is to great a burden to carry. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated." - Coretta Scott King-

9. know one profile image60
    know oneposted 13 years ago

To anyone that has to ask that question, my answer is no. The act of planning and carrying out a suitable revenge will debase you. If however you can go from victim to perpetrator without needing to ask then I feel sorry for you... you're in a nasty cycle already. Learn resilience instead.

10. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

This is my take on it, albeit difficult at times. smile

Matthew:

{5:38} Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an
    eye, and a tooth for a tooth: {5:39} But I say unto you, That
    ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy
    right cheek, turn to him the other also. {5:40} And if any
    man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him
    have [thy] cloke also. {5:41} And whosoever shall compel
    thee to go a mile, go with him twain. {5:42} Give to him
    that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee
    turn not thou away.
    {5:43} Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt
    love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. {5:44} But I say
    unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do
    good to them that hate you, and pray for them which
    despitefully use you, and persecute you; {5:45} That ye
    may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for
    he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and
    sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. {5:46} For if ye
    love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not
    even the publicans the same? {5:47} And if ye salute your
    brethren only, what do ye more [than others?] do not even
    the publicans so? {5:48} Be ye therefore perfect, even as
    your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

1. speedbird profile image59
      speedbirdposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dude..thanks for the versus smile

1. ediggity profile image60
        ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No prob bro.  smile

11. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Revenge feels great and it's ALWAYS justified! What do you think jails are for? It's called justice.

I mean really,,,,,

12. marpauling profile image60
    marpaulingposted 13 years ago

Makes me feel worse. I'll let God to do the revenge for me.

13. smalika profile image60
    smalikaposted 13 years ago

First scenario; Eye for an eye
    Eye for an eye makes you feel good and is allowed by nearly all the religions in the world.

Second scenario; you hold a grudge
    You may hold a grudge and believe that God, in His system of justice will take account of the crime.

Third scenario; you forgive
    The most difficult of the things to do is to be tolerant, but makes you a bigger and better person. It can make even enemies respect you.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, and I apologize if i do come off that way.  However, in the third scenario, it would really depend on what kind of enemy your fighting against exactly.  As there's some cultures that view backing down and turning the other cheek a weakness over in the middle east.  Not to sound racist or anything, but this is just from what I heard from talking to various people serving in the military currently.  however, you do bring up a lot of valid points, and your points do reign true generally.  However, when it comes to the third scenario, there's no guarantee the enemy will respect you if you choose to act as the bigger man, as some might end up not even caring.  therefore, it's kind of subjective at best.  however, i get what you're saying.

14. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

the only ethically approved method of revenge... and I am pretty sure all of the major religions agree on this one...

is peeing in the offender's coffee

15. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

MOST of the major religions. Not all.
    Mormons don't drink coffee smile

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

in their case, you are allowed to sleep with one of their wives (as long as its not the real hot one)

16. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

If you're a female seeking revenge is it ok to substitute Mitt Romney? He's hawt!

roll

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)