Share one thing you learned from your parents.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)
  1. FaithDream profile image78
    FaithDreamposted 13 years ago

For me, I learned to believe in myself and to respect and honor others. My parents were not perfect, but they taught me great lessons about love and life.

1. crazymom3 profile image69
      crazymom3posted 13 years agoin reply to this

To work hard, and never give up.

2. profile image51
      amandasmitposted 13 years agoin reply to this
    3. hameidinger profile image59
      hameidingerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My parents told me that TRUST is Priceless-a TREASURE. You can't pay anybody to trust you or get back the trust once it is broken.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

The foundation for morals is based on understanding the meaning of Integrity. wink

3. CARIBQUEEN profile image63
    CARIBQUEENposted 13 years ago

To be honest, respectful and to love my fellow man. They taught me so much that I will always treasure and exhibit till the end of my days

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

My parents were big for talking about having self-respect and respecting not just other people, but animals, property, and the world and life in general.  They were also big for encouraging us to think for ourselves, do what we think is right, and "not just follow the crowd".  Being thankful for our good health was another big one.

(I know the OP asked for one thing, and I offered three.  Hope my parents are looking down and seeing that I continue to think for myself and write what I thought seemed right for this thread.  lol  )

1. FaithDream profile image78
      FaithDreamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Lisa. I wrote more than one thing as well. Hey our parents taught us a great deal. I'm sure they are smiling on this. I know my parents are. smile

5. mathair profile image61
    mathairposted 13 years ago

I think that it is only recently asa mother myself that I am realising the benefits of some of the things I observed and learned from my parents.  They gave up so much so that we did not go without and we are now in the same position. It is great to be able to look back and use the recipies and budgeting tips that i learned through observing my mother cook for us

6. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

It's better to be poor but honest than rich and manipulative.

7. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I got my wry sense of humor from my adopted mom, its weird to hear myself say things she used to say to me all the time lol
    I also inherited a love of nature from her. I suspect that my inner strength was inherited from her as well. OK so you asked for one thing and I gave a bit more then that, too bad! tongue

8. JLClose profile image60
    JLCloseposted 13 years ago

From my mother I learned compassion and kindness. It is the best gift she could have given me, I think.

9. Lupozee profile image60
    Lupozeeposted 13 years ago

Never give up on your dreams and work hard to achieve your goals..... You never want to look back and say " I wish I had done this"

10. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

The top thing my parents taught me (or rather the thing their example taught me): 

When searching for a life partner, look for someone whose goals are basically the same as yours.  For example if you want children and he emphatically doesn't, walk away and keep walking - no matter how much your hormones tell you that you "love" this person.

Sorry, feeling a tad jaded and cynical today.

11. profile image53
    cinderella44posted 13 years ago

To think for yourself and family stands behind you.  I don't know how many times I turn on the news or hear someone talking about these awful things -- doing drugs, stabbings, shootings, all this and it's happening between family members.  Family should be the ones you can count on no matter what.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)