Can we survive the next 50 yrs?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (68 posts)
  1. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

How?
    Responses?   Logical and well reasoned pls.
    TY....smile:
    Qwark

1. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not sure I can survive the next fifty days, I'm on a diet and trying hard to get fit again before the end of spring.

2. manlypoetryman profile image82
      manlypoetrymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Logical....Hmmm...that's pushin' my brain all the way to overload. Well rounded...I can do!

50 Years...ha! We'll be lucky to make 50 days...at current rate. But...mankind is a surviving kind of species...so 50 more years just might be attainable. However, I'm saving every $ for a trip in a Mars Lander...someday...hopefully!?! (in the not-so-distant future-it may be open to the public?). Secretly, using shared UFO technology...rich people have created a secret base on Mars...and I hope to apply as a burger chef there...they'll need burgers!

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Well…, I doubt that we will be extinct. But as to quality of life, history has done it to us before and it will do it to us again. Of that I’m sure. smile

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paradigm:
      Sorrowfully, I have to agree!
      Qwark

2. tritrain profile image71
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

I think our quality of life is reaching its peak for the richest nations.  Eventually we will reach a point in which resources, such as clean water, energy, and nutrients will be unaffordable or inaccessible. 

A good example is Easter Island.  The original inhabitants had slowly cut down all of the trees, which they used for firewood and building.  They were not able to provide enough of basic necessities and then the population collapsed.

Our island is called Earth.

3. profile image49
      ShortStoryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In 50 years, quality of life will be better than it has ever been, life expectancy will be longer than ever, and the standard of living for all but the poorest will be higher across the globe than it has ever been on average. There will be very, very rich people living very very well, and very, very poor people living very, very poorly as there have always been. Everyone who is not rich will bemoan the gap between themselves and the wealthy, and populists will exploit this for political advantage - as always. People will b!tch about how immoral society has become compared to 50 years ago, wonder why young people are so stupid and apathetic, and make dire predictions about how bad it will be 50 years from then.

In other words, more of the same.

3. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

That's all the thought I can get on this question?
    Why?
    Or isn't anyone interested in the future of you, your children or your grandkids?
    We seem to get dumber, dumber and more careless every moment I live!
    Arghhh!
    QWark

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We are all doomed!smile

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Can we survive the next 50 years? Sure, why not, we've managed to make it this far as of yet. Extinction isn't likely.

The question is "how" and at "what" costs do those next 50 years come? wink

1. qwark profile image60

CAgs:

Of course!

Human life will not become extinct even if we experience a massive population reducing catastrophe.

I've said that in many of my hubs and forum responses.

The first question I asked was "how?"

Got any ideas?

Humankind seems to be digging a deeper and deeper hole into which it may soon fall into.

There exist so many pitfalls to be faced that man has never had to face in his short existence.

It seems to be that his immaturity and genetic programming has not prepared him for the new circumstances he will face in the near future.

Man has proved to be a very resilient species.

There is no such thing as devolution, but he may be, as part and parcel of his "evolution," be regressed to the stone age where he will have to regain his omnipresence and dominance upon the Earth.

Your thoughts.

Qwark

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Qwark, you should know by now that I have plenty of ideas/thoughts on the subject.

You want to see an explosion in growth around the world, then simply make it known that there is no god, to every person on the planet. Then, just maybe, people will start looking at their day, as though it had more value.

Presently, humankind is too selfish with regards to knowledge and those who chose ignorance over learning, then do more damage than foreseen.

As it stand, humankind continues to dumb themselves down, either through fear tactics, religious mysticism or political BS. The problem is that they are accepting as though it cannot be changed. Failing to see that the true authority in their life is themselves. No other authority is required or needed, especially from outside distortion/misinformation influences.

Humankind has gotten lazy and ridiculously irrational.

1. profile image61
          logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The last sentence is the last word Cags!  Well said!

Thank you Logic. tongue smile

2. qwark profile image60

I just got back from the gym.

Ok Cags:

Your comment:

"You want to see an explosion in growth around the world, then simply make it known that there is no god,..."

No I don't want to see an explosion in (human population) growth, but it's inevitable.

How does one

"simply make it known that there is no god. to every person on the planet.?"

You know as well as I that the "fundie" will die before he'd change his mind.

About 35% of human population is "illiterate" and education is still unavailable to many.

I agree that monotheists prefer self imposed ignorance to sophistication and universal education dedicated to understanding the "real" world.

Factually, history has proved that the "ignorant" are easily led and controlled.

Other nations lead the US in educational advances and are becoming powerfully influential while we seem to be on a slippery slide into a complicated morass of financial difficulties, which we can only blame on those who "WE THE PEOPLE" have voted into positions of power and influence, and who themselves are dominated by greed and are getting richer by the moment by playing "footsie" with "BIG OIL!

On top of all this, fundie monotheists are 'praying" for the "self fulfilling" prophecy of armageddon and are, in their own inimitable, psychotic manner, planning on the certainty of its happening.

I can not see any remedy for saving contemporary man from a cataclysmic reduction in population within this century.

Qwark

Is that all you have to say on the matter? lol

1. qwark profile image60

CAgs:
              Naw!
              I could go on for another hour but hey, I thought I'd be magnanimous and give you an opportunity to offer (I quote you) "... plenty of ideas/thoughts on the subject."
              Go for it!  smile:
              Qwark

Well, to be honest, the concept that humankind is somehow special, in and of, itself is one that needs to be defeated.

The people should be aware that more people often than not, are always distorting things and doing it on purpose. Why? Simple answer- it boils down to honesty and dishonesty.

The character of a person has be re-established into mainstream society. It used to mean something, but holds no weight now among the most average person.

There are more people with criminal records than there are without, at least in America. Previous criminal record prevents that individual from buying a gun for protection. Granted, the individual could probably buy one on the street just as easily.

There are more people dependent on government and it's resources, which isn't healthy either for the operation and effectiveness of government or the individual themselves. The more government resources provided to citizens, then the less resources will have for operation. Therefore, it's always forced to print money/borrow against future growth. It's utterly ridiculous.

There is a little known fact about America's Way of Life and the path that provides Life, Liberty and the Pursuit to Happiness lays in the hands of the individual and their knowledge of the Economy and it's power to create wealth. Very few people truly understand that what is "America's Way of Life" truly is- the simplest solution is to inform the citizens to the truth of the matter- independent small business is precisely where it is at. A small business, home-based, can generate upward to $400,000 alone, if planned properly and executed with precision.

The "status quo" in America must be broken, so America can grow substantial gains, on an individual basis and effectiveness in government. Dirty politicians in the pockets of "big" business are against competition and only interested in domination of the marketplace. Regardless of the effects that occur. It's absurd.

Okay...that enough.. tongue

1. qwark profile image60

Ok Cags:
                  Now, what has that to do with the subject of this topic: "Can we survive the next 50 yrs?"
                  I asked if we could and then asked if ya think we can, how?
                  Then I asked for thoughtful logical responses.
                  That's not what I'm getting from ya.
                  Are we gonna make it? if yes or no...why and how?
                  Again, go for it.  smile:
                  Qwark

I already told you that we would make it.

How? Is to sum up "world peace" into one post. Peace, the other side of the coin of War. It basically comes down to individual responsibility for self.

Your question isn't picking a nation, it's looking at the human species at a whole and if YOU think it can be explained in a simple way that it can survive the next 50 years, but with your pessimistic attitude, you'd be against.

There are simply too many factors in the "how". So please, I'd be better off writing it into a hub than to waste it on a forum post. Which, don't worry, is already under construction.

My previous response was with regards to America, itself. Sorry, I didn't incorporate the rest of the world. Sue me. wink

2. fadedsnow profile image60
            fadedsnowposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It’s an impossible task to persuade the entire planet that God/s do not exist. However, many countries have been moving towards a religious/god free way of life.  http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A … mp;h=95df2
            Hopefully in the future all of humanity can jump on board and be free of religious dogma.

1. qwark profile image60

G'mornin' Faded, you devil you!
              There are somewhere near 190 nations on this planet.
              A few of them, 8 - 9 have pulled back from a monotheistic belief.
              That's about .0473%
              To think that "mankind," at this level of its evolution, can "smarten" up b4 it "explodes," is ludicrous.
              If we make it thru the next 50 yrs, it will be by pure luck alone.
              No, Unfortunately for us, we will not rid ourselves of the bane of human progress: monotheism!
              Qwark

1. fadedsnow profile image60

i didn't state it would happen, only that it would be nice smile

1. qwark profile image60

Faded, you young devil!

Don't get "snappy" with me! smile:

Remember this, that "Old age And Treachery Always Triumph Over Youth And Skill."

It would not only be "nice," it would open the doors to, as you have said,  unfettered PROGRESS like we've never experienced.

But, being the earths prime predator, we'd find another reason to kill each other.

We humans exist as the "baddest" life form that has ever evolved on this planet! That ain't gonna change anytime during the next 100k yrs!

We're stuck with "US!"

Qwark

You mean specific people will find a reason to kill each other...if religion was abolished/eliminated then the only reason that remains would be greed. wink
                    Interesting statement. And, just curious, how did you attain such a view? Because of the destruction we can accomplish? I would say that's the "baddest" life form, just the most ignorant of all life forms.

Sure, it just did. Man is not the most of anything. It's not special in any way, shape or form. To think it is, just ego talk more than anything else.
                    And if more people realized just that, then just maybe they would actually understand their own life. wink

2. fadedsnow profile image60

IDK I  would have to say that roaches are the toughest LOL

3. fadedsnow profile image60

Well said!

5. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

More importantly, will we still have the freedoms we have now,that we are slowly abdicating to the government?  Will everything we do be monitored electronically?  Will we have to run our lives to suit those that think they know better than us how to run our lives?

6. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Not me!

7. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"A good example is Easter Island.  The original inhabitants had slowly cut down all of the trees, which they used for firewood and building." Always wondered who cut down the last tree and why.

The why is derived from ignorance, if that helps. As for who cut it down? I've no clue. wink

8. tritrain profile image71
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

If it's any consolation, I can make room in my bunker that I'm digging.

Bring a shovel!

1. qwark profile image60

Titrain:
      Lol...a shovel and lotsa lead!
      oh, and fill your "diving" bottles with several yrs of good clean air.
      OK?   smile:
      Qwark

1. tritrain profile image71

And bring some food too.

9. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Anyone else?
    Qwark

10. NateSean profile image65
    NateSeanposted 13 years ago

Just looking at how basic conversations are handled in the forum, I truly doubt we could survive for very long as a society.

I think it would do humanity a world of good if were busted back down to the stone age. Back then it wasn't about who was right or wrong. It wasn't about your religion, or your race, or your Internet connection. It was all about who had the sharpest spear and who could take the wooly mammoth down without getting crushed.

Those were surivors. The rest of us...I don't know.

11. superwags profile image66
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

Yes. Not only will we survive, but we will be happier, wealthier and healthier than at any previous point in our existence. This is what science says.

1. qwark profile image60

Wags:
      Really?
      Science says so eh?
      Can ya give me their reasons for saying that and the source?
      What are your "personal" thoughts concerning the subject of this thread?
      Or are you just buying what you've read?
      Qwark

1. superwags profile image66
        superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the science says so. There is a large area of science which deals with future development of populations, it's rather fun. Everybody loves a bit of doom and gloom, but it doesn't mean it's going to happen.

My personal opinion is pretty indifferent to the mainstream scientific opinion on the matter - why would one person know better than the accumulated evidence?

You're always banging this drum Quark, but I don't see any evidence to support your hypothesis - unless you pick up on short-term trends.

We could get hit by a meteor tomorrow I suppose.

1. qwark profile image60

Wags:
          You're serious?
          You aren't able to project the results of todays human activities to probablilites in the future?
          Respectfully, I don't think you have done your homework.
          I'm not going to enumerate the potentials for disaster. That's your responsibility.
          Why don't you begin with human population growing to 9 1/2 billion within 50 yrs and it's potential for disaster.
          If you seriously study that, all the insidious realities will become apparent.
          If ya don't? NP You'll be stuck permanently in the muck and mire of fantasy.
          Good luck to ya.  smile:
          Qwark

PS...by the way, Hawking stated (paraphrase) WE are a greater danger to our continued existance than the potential of something destroying us from space.

That depends completely on the mentality of the collective of humankind. The assumption is change won't happen, and everything does in fact evolve. Thus, change will happen.

Only if nothing changes, would there be a problem. wink

1. qwark profile image60

CAgs:
              You are 100% correct!
              But the "collective of humankind" will NEVER come together in a synergistic manner to survive!
              Change IS inevitable!
              Evolution is controlled by environment.
              As changes occur everything must adapt.
              If a species is rendered INCAPABLE of adapting, Mother Nature judges, raps the gavel and the species disappears.
              IF mankind becomes so populous and fragmented that it can no longer function for its benefit and cannot "change," the result will be disastrous for the it!
              Three billion more people will create problems we have yet had to experience.
              We'll certainly see just how "adaptable" we really are.
              Qwark

2. superwags profile image66

Hawking is obviously right, we are.

With respect, you haven't provided any evidence to substantiate what you're saying here. The world grew by a larger number in the past 50 years than it will in the next - what's so bad about this population rise? What are the associated dangers, then we can work through the potential cures to the percieved ills. Our lives have vastly improved in spite of this doubling of the population, haven't they?

Do you doubt we'll be healthier, richer? Then why?

It's not about being stuck in a fantasy land, it's about the correct interpretation of the evidence. If I picked up the population stats at face value and applied the opinion that nothing will improve in terms of technology, crop yield etc. I'd be worried too.

But this isn't how the world works, thankfully.

1. qwark profile image60

Wags:
              I think you missed an important facet of my comment to you.
              Here it is: "...I'm not going to enumerate the potentials for disaster. That's your responsibility."
              My suggestion for you is: DIG FOR MORE INPUT!
              Have a great day.   smile:
              Qwark

3. superwags profile image66

Oh and incidentally, it's you who's bucking the trend away from the concensus with your point of view, so it's actually up to you to at least explain your point of view nd the purposes for this.

1. qwark profile image60

Wags:
              Yep that's me!
              I'm a pessimist in ref to the future of mankind.
              I've done my homework and base my pessimism on the macro experience of evolving man and the potential for disaster that he faces if he continues to function as he does.
              It's all there for you if you study with an open mind and put the puzzle pieces together as they fit.
              Go for it.
              Qwark

4. NateSean profile image65
            NateSeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

However much the population grows will only get balanced out by the on set of diseases and starvation.

In any major disaster whereby 90% of all life is exterminated, creatures no bigger than my hand will be the ones that survive. We as a species will lose our place as the dominant one eventually, and shortly thereafter, I have no doubt that we will become extinct.

And whatever species remain will party all night.

12. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I'll be long dead 50 years from now, so frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

1. tritrain profile image71

Not if we freeze your head first!

I plan on putting your noggin on a robot that vacuums and makes sandwiches.

1. Disturbia profile image61
        Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK, sign me up for one frozen noggin, just promise you'll scoup out the brain and put it in a robot that looks like a redheaded Taylor Swift! 

Vacuuming is great therapy, and I've been told I make a pretty mean Ruben.  wink

13. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Adapt or die.
    Smart humans adapt. Some will. Many others will find it too inconvenient.

"We" may only include a few. It's hard to know, but it's likely some will adapt so they won't die.

1. qwark profile image60

Daniel:
      Depends upon the catastrophe.
      If it is nuclear, those remaining on the surface will die or be horribly mutated into ....?
      We will not become extinct.
      Those who have taken refuge underground will re-surface. 
      Who knows what the future will be?
      Qwark

We will mutate into Eloi and Morlocks.

1. qwark profile image60

Disturbia:

Ah! one of my favorite movies.

The Eloi, in this case will be to "radioactive" to eat.
          But, if they "glow" the Morlocks could use them to light the place up...eh?  smile:

Qwark

Ummmmm yeah big_smile

2. tritrain profile image71

Should I start building my time machine now?

*What is "now"?

14. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

I will be happy to make it through this week!!!

IRS Forms arghhhh....(who writes those things!!)

15. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I'll be ok... not sure about you guys

smile

1. qwark profile image60

Greek:
      Me too.
      I'll be a thin sprinkle of dust sinking slowly into the currents of the Japanese current off the west coast of the USA.
      NP's at all!
      Qwark

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

mental note to self... In the future, don't drink bottled water imported from the West coast

1. qwark profile image60

Greek:
          Hahaha..Only the ships at sea would be drinking de-salinized sea water.
          I'll probably be resting "eternally" on the bottom of the ocean off the coast of Calif.
          My future is exciting!
          In about 5 billion yrs I'll become an integral part of a dissipating universe...wow!
          How can ya beat that for a future existence?
          I'll just be a "has been." lol  smile:
          Qwark

1. Greek One profile image63
            Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would rather just retire to Miami

16. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Quark, u there?

1. qwark profile image60

paradigm:
      ...who's quark?
      Qwark

17. andrebreynolds profile image36
    andrebreynoldsposted 13 years ago

I doubt but it could be possible if we are extra careful with our health.Besides, only God knows how long we could live in this world.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)