REDUX - Roadblock to Theism

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (57 posts)
  1. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

Looking for help here people.  Everyone went off topic on the last thread.  The question of the OP is DO YOU THINK GOD EVOLVED FROM SOMETHING. Sheesh.

We can't conclude how the universe was created. I would like to know CHRISTIAN'S  thoughts on the essence of God.  I never thought about anything before the beginning of our universe. It never occurred to me, but the more I think about it, it only seems logical, if some sentient hand was the catalyst for what we perceive as reality, God must have evolved from something.

He could not be eternal in the ultimate cosmic sense.  He could not have initially been everything that is attributed to him. He could not have been worthy of a title of God.  If so, why would we attribute the title to him now.  Why would he want us to?

Please, if you want to argue the beginning of the universe, do it on the other thread.  There's plenty of people ready to bandy their theories back and forth.

1. kess profile image60
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God origin is nothing...
      if you miss this in the beginning then where would you end up....
      up to a million threads later...

2. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

*insert magical explanation here*

So instead, you would rather conclude *insert magical explanation here*

Yes, that is true, all you have to do is *insert magical explanation here*

lol

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. no. no. you don't understand the question. Go play else where please.

3. profile image0
      SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God did not evolve.  He always has been and always will be.  If God did evolve, then He is not God because He cannot be perfect. 

Science cannot answer everything and, in fact, answers very little.  Science changes.  A theory today is old news tomorrow or until something better comes along.  That is the way of science.  Always changing (learning) and never coming to knowledge of the truth.

There is a scvripture in the Bible that if we all did what it says, we would know much more than anyone does today.  Pro 3:5  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. We keep depending on our own knowledge and understanding thinking ourselves to be wise, but we don't really know anything.

1. profile image0

Sir Dent, I apologize if this sounds rude; but that is a response I would get from a Jehovah Witness. They are fond of saying you shouldn't be too smart for God.

We have brains. For whatever reason I have one,  I will use it. If you have not pondered this question there is no shame in it. If you choose not to ponder the question there is no shame in it.

I reserve the same right to question, as you have not to. Yours is not an answer.

1. profile image0

The answer is there.  If you don't agree with it just say so.

Why I wrote about science was written because you spoke of God evolving which brings evolution into the discussion.

1. profile image0

Of course I don't agree. But that isn't the point. No one agrees all the time. I'm not sure your quote from proverbs is pertinent. Maybe it was at one time. I wouldn't know.

Your point on science is an impossible one for me. I cannot imagine that a religion and science should be at odds. Facts are facts. To deny the things we know as fact is an odd faith I could never have.

The point being, this is a roadblock for my thought processes on this matter. I won't bore you with the details. Who knows? Maybe someone will post something that makes sense to me.

Thank you for your input.

How very intellectually dishonest of you to fabricate stories about how science works. Very disappointing, SirDent.

1. profile image0

Has it ever occurred to you that people are not dishonest, they simply see things differently? It doesn't make anyone right, but they have the right to their opinion. smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
            Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Trollin,,,,,

Little wonder ur religion causes so many wars.

Innit . LOL

1. profile image0

Sto it Mark. You already caused me to have a fight with my husband this morning. The least you could do is try to be nice.

No, they don't "see things differently" when it comes to that which is evident and obvious to anyone who would take the time to see it for what it is. That is why it is intellectual dishonest to state such things just as it is intellectually dishonest to defend them.

While I understand that believers will invoke magic into their explanations as that is a result of religious indoctrination. The have already accepted those irrational beliefs and have lost the ability to reason and rationalize.

But, to state falsely that which is evident to anyone is a completely different thing.

I'm quite happy to engage SirDent on his belief system and what he has accepted as far as his indoctrination is concerned. But, it shows a dishonesty on his part when he attempts to misinform others regarding science and how it works.

The same goes for you. smile

1. profile image0

When have I done that?

2. profile image0

So science has always known how old the world is?  A few years ago it was millions of years, even since it had been said to be 6 billion and now unless I am mistaken it is a little over 13 billion.

Science guesses at what is right until someone comes up with something that seems better. 

Splitting atoms was good until the A-bomb was created then used.  Now we have even more powerful nuclear bombs.  We also now have nuclear power that seemed to be the best way to go, but look at what has happened since.

1. Beelzedad profile image58

So very disappointing, SirDent. The world was never estimated at 6 or 13 billion years. Please try to stick to your belief system rather than venturing into unknown territory. Thanks. smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
              Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why worship creation when you can worship the Creator smile

1. Beelzedad profile image58

Yes, I understand believers need to worship something like an invisible super being, due to their indoctrination, and that they have no conceptual idea that others need not worship anything at all. smile

3. Woman Of Courage profile image61
        Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

SirDent, I recieve that scripture. It is the true word of God. No matter how much knowledge one may have, but wisdom comes from God.

4. profile image0
      jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"DO YOU THINK GOD EVOLVED FROM SOMETHING. "
      For anybody to answer that you have to first say what do yo mean by the term "god"?
      So far nobody-no theist nor atheist has consistently defined that term, yet go on saying there is god or no god.
      The only thing we can say is there is 'NO CREATOR'  and logically and rationally there is no super-being that control/help the fancies and whims of humans.
      The so called one who listen to all prayers and the one who holds yo in his palm are all wishful thinking of emotionally charged humans.
      Beyond that I don't understand what yo mean god when you say "god'!
      So god is there so........... fill up if anybody wants to!!

1. profile image0

Unfortunately, the term emotionally charged fits the bill across the board. Too bad. I was hoping this thread would provide thought provoking answers from each side. It's barely happened yet, and definitely not from your post.

I hope, at the least, you enjoyed yourself typing it. smile

1. profile image0

So please tell me what this 'god' is......so that I can do it without "emotion"!

1. profile image0

That was the whole point, silly. The question is about a god. You don't recognize a god. Something brought you in and made you post an answer that in no way adressed the question. Must have been an emotional decision.

1. profile image0

Your question as I read was this""DO YOU THINK GOD EVOLVED FROM SOMETHING'.
              So you are asking about something called god, aren't you?
              You want to know whether that thing is evolved?
              Ain't I right in that two assumptions?
              Now you tell me I don't recognize a god.
              How do you know that?
              If you ask whether humans are evolved I can understand, for I know what humans are and there is not much confusion about it(atleast anybody can explain it).
              So with out first telling what god is how can I know.
              You already ruled out the creator and eternal being, the usual attributes applied to god.  So what else is left?

1. profile image0

Ok. We're on the same page about qwark being cool. I love his posts too. He's unique. But you should get a different persona. you don't want to come off like a sock puppet. Do you? smile

1. profile image0

Oh! No I have nothing in common with him!!
                  Yo are the onewho started that with your posts. You debunked all the known attributes of "god". Then I was wondering what yo actually wanted!

2. profile image0

You may say I have something common with fatfist though!!
                  To quote him......
                  God exist.................... make a hypothesis

1. profile image0

I do not know this fat fist. I don't usually quote people though. I find it fun to think for myself. smile

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61

jomine, No God did not evolve.

5. Radical Rog profile image70
      Radical Rogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You want to delve into the Gnostic gospels such as the Secret Gospel of John, a counterpart to Revelation only describing a visionary account of the beginning, or another called The First Thought in Three Forms.
      These provide an account of intelligence developing out of the natural energy of the universe long before any physical matter existed. This All Father deity is described as being 'beyond being called a god.' But second came an All Mother, a goddess and then the Son.
      Yet according to these scriptures, this is not the god of Moses and Abraham. He came later as a jumped up would be God unaware of this higher heaven.
      There's some boats to be rocked here.

1. profile image0

Sounds cool. Thanks. Would be an interesting read. smile

6. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But - you seen to have made the irrational assumption that the universe was created.

Why?

Seems you have had all the Christian answers you are going to get.

"Majik" lol

1. profile image0

Ok. Now I see your problem with that..created. It is a loaded word. How about; came into existence? I don't know Mark. The word itself probably does leave room in the thought process for a god. But you need to find a word to replace it. I can't imagine ever reaching the point where I can imagine it logical to state that something simply is. For credibility's sake we need a more realistic third option. smile

2. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Good mornin ...Sipping my first cup of coffee  Yawn

For me  I don't care if what we call our ultimate power/sourse was before everything in the universe or not.

I just simply accept that there is a higher authority.
    And everyone calls that power, God.

Everyone that believes in God seems to have their own version of who and what the higher power is.

I know what it is to me, and that is all that I can profess to.
      If there ws  God before him?  makes no difference to me?
    The one tht is now ..  is now.

Something like that ny way ...  I'm not wake yet ...

3. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

no...humans thought did evolve and with it evolved religious god..

1. profile image0

Yep. That's what it appears boiling down to. I'd think someone would have something  profound to say. There were one or two great comments on the other thread, but for the most part everyone ignored the question and fought over other stuff.

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, god evolved, in people's minds.  Started off as sun, moon gods etc & then evolved into single god based on human

4. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Typical theist BS. Find answer of 'how gravity works' in bible book vs any documented physics book. Little huh ? LOL. Science can't answer everything hence my faith is true *rolleyes*

Science evolves.

Guess God delights in watching us discover -well some of us lol

1. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Science doesn't evolve always, it's human's understanding of science (-nature and laws of nature) evolves. Earlier people used to believe that universe was restricted to this solar system only(and intelligent christian who believe there is no life outside this solar system still do, and in reality milky way galaxy (in which our solar system is just a small dot in universe). Science evolves in this case ? hell no.

As for that delight remark *shrugs*

Sure ,I accept the point you mentioned.

How bout stars that disappear, or new ones that reappear.

Creatures still being discovered ,how shall science age them?

I know I do not know even a half of whats out there ,let alone explain it.

All the best scientists in the world agree that they havent even tapped the surface of many theories.

I dont believe they ever will. Such is the vastness.

Who made it all? roll

If you understand the concept of light years then you'll understand that how many years it takes for that image to appear. So stars born or died in front of you today are not necessarily meant to be born or died today in space. 

W.r.t human parameters of age of earth and universe. Human discovery not necessarily equates exact origin of that species.

That doesn't mean i should read babble to <insert magic here> questions. You're free to do that. If virus pops up pray to angel Micheal instead of running anti-virus, will work for ya. big_smile

Who made the entity that made it all ? wink Can you prove it or will point me to babble book to escape from the burden of that question ? tongue

Gosh if you cant have one conversation without being rude,dont bother asking me any questions! or at least be original with your insults wink

Like I said before ,if Science amazes you ,then you will surely have some idea of why Christians hold their Creator in awe.

Loved your example re computer....

Heres mine :  Why does God remember you?

Because Jesus Saves smile

Oh that sounds like insult to you ? *huh*

There are plenty of reasons Christians are subscribing to this BS- from deluded ego to lack of evidence and lack of understanding. I find Christians with agnostic inclination more interesting than Christians who think- god sent bible in pdf copy (err) and expected his loving species to follow the rules.

Jesus saves ? LOL. He failed to save his own <insert cough word> and he saves ours ? hell yeah i agree  lol

*No sense of humour huh*

Oh dear you didnt get why God sent his son either.
                  I think you are the one that is deluded.

Who made the animals eyes ?
                  Who made the stars that shine?
                  Who made it all

My God He made them all.

Enjoy.

neutral

Tell me about it...

You're asking this as if it's single shot process of species formation.

Stars don't shine in technical sense, they reflect light due to various gases. wink

Who made the entity that made it all ? wink

*whatever* sorry if that was haiku of yours in four questions, didn't meant to attack on poetry/poets on hubpages. sad

No "one" made any of those things. Eyes have evolved and stars formed from clouds of gases. smile

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61

kiwi, Yes Jesus is the Savior. It was all in the plan of God big_smile

Amen sister xo smile

Notice how skyfire copies and pastes to answer like Mark ,Cags and Beezle...

lol

*facepalm*

that's part of public forum feature - "quoting". How long you're using internet ? Let me know so that i can tone it down and make it one-liner replies instead.

The fact that others have a very good idea of "whats out there" and that scientists don't agree with your misinformed analysis shows in stark contrast your belief they don't. smile

5. stclairjack profile image79
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

ok,... for fear that i might get my theological chopps busted,...

i pose an answer in the form of another question;

what if god did not meerly evolve but still is, as we are along side of god, on a different level.

i will explain my silly theory further if asked.

6. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

So, if you didnt mean to answer,what did you mean to do?

I thought about answering if that's part of your reply with questions, not to dissect just in case if it was haiku.

1. stclairjack profile image79
        stclairjackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sat and gave this some thought, and in the end made a hub,... enjoy,... do with it what you will,... it is vol 1 of an answer,... wher i am, its very late and i have to clock in tomorow.

http://hubpages.com/hub/the-evolution-of-god-vol-1?done

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)