Highlighted forum posts

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (38 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

I have seen a couple of highlighted forum posts by Staff, such as this one: http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1558309

I find them most unpleasant to look at. Also, I don't see the point of someone getting prominence over others. What do you think?

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

I believe it means staff posting, so as one does not confuse it with the Hoi polloi. Seems a good idea to me even if the color or shade may be debatable.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

For a thread where someone is asking a question of admin, and a whole bunch of other people chime in with their random guess answers, and then admin posts a specific reply, I find it very useful for cutting through the chaff.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I did ask by email if Hubpages would consider highlighting my own posts, perhaps in a different colour, as they are in my opinion informative and useful.  I wouldn't want HP to lose out on my perceptive arguments especially when a few words from my good self could help many a newcomer.

I received the following reply this morning.

Dear Mark.

No.

HP.

1. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps we could have color codes for certain posts? Red for posts 'hating' Obama, blue for posts 'loving' Obama - white for angelic posts about religion, blood red fro agnostics (like me) who obviously know nothing *grin*

Hmmm...being serious - I like the idea of highighting admin's posts - sometimes I scan through a forum entry looking only for admin's posts - so to see them highlighted is useful....now as for the color....uck!

2. RedElf profile image89
      RedElfposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

3. Joy56 profile image68
      Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

hi mark am on your wave length at last.....big_smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Joy, now you know....

4. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
      DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mark, rejection is tough.  But for what it's worth, I value yor opinion...hehehe

5. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

lol lol lol

6. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 13 years ago

I agree with SimeyC, it's the color I don't like, but I think it's a great idea to highlight admin's posts.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You and others may have a point. But the color is dreadful and much too strong.

1. Joy56 profile image68
        Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

my screen is black, and i cannot get it back to white so fortunately cannot see it.... any idea how i can get the screen back white.....

1. profile image0

If it is your browser, you should be able to change the color scheme under preferences. Usually, the default scheme - as opposed to user-defined - should work well.

2. amalloy profile image69
        amalloyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Staff get the choice to highlight our posts or not, according to whether we think they will be especially useful for others reading/skimming the thread. For example, especially on the Report a Problem forum, a response from staff will usually be either (a) an attempt to fix the original problem, or (b) a request for more information to get a fix working; both of those can benefit from a little more attention from someone reading the thread.

Certainly I don't think anyone highlights their posts when they're posting as "a private citizen"; we try to only make prominent the messages that we expect will be especially useful.

It's not exactly my department, but if the community finds the color especially distasteful or hard to read, I'm sure it would be easy to change. If you have a different recommended color, let me know and I'll pass it along. But the feature is definitely not going away entirely, as a lot of Hubbers are very fond of it. See, for example, http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1522631.

PS: This post not highlighted for WE's benefit!

Edit: Fixed badly-linked url, thanks WE

1. sunforged profile image70
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I pointed out a "better" color here:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/70726#post1539386

the color is a bit overpowering for big blocks, and changing a few digits in the hex is super easy

the front page sticky hue is fine in large blocks also

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
            rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nice, SF, I like this one.

http://www.color-hex.com/colorimg.php?color=c0d9d9

2. amalloy profile image69

So let it be. I've changed the color to 8FD8D8 as sunforged suggested. The change won't happen immediately, and a web designer may tweak the color a little, but it should happen eventually.

If anyone's interested: basically it's a low-priority issue and won't be visible until some higher-priority issue causes us to release changes; at that point it will sneak in at the same time. Usually it's a couple days, but no promises.

3. profile image0

Thanks Sunforged! Very constructive.

7. profile image0

Amalloy, thank you very much! I have learned the reason behind the feature. Any soft grey our very mild light blue ought to stand out nicely without being so strong. I appreciate your response.

8. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I do like the highlighted posts because they are impossible to miss. I guess if we can choose colors, a softer blue might be nice.  I'm just happy they respond, especially to address specific concerns.

9. profile image0

Amalloy, that is excellent news. Thank you!

10. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

It actually makes no difference to me either way. Change it or don't change it.

All it is, is a color change so as to draw attention. They could have been really nasty with it if they wanted- change color to black and change letters to white.

If that didn't get someone's attention, then I don't know what would. tongue

But, it is certainly nice to continue to see Staff still listening to the community. So, I give credit where credit is due. Hubpages STAFF Rocks! lol lol

11. travelespresso profile image69
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Bring on MORE color!!!  All I ask that mine are all pink!

Mark Ewbie lol lol lol

1. profile image0

All of your what are pink?

1. travelespresso profile image69
        travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Forum posts.

I like the changes.

1. profile image0

Ah, I see....

I owe you an email WE.  So sorry for my tardiness!

1. profile image0

No worries, Travelespresso. It was a dry subject, have to admit. Let's save the email for another day. I appreciate it.

You comments were much appreciated. 

TBH I got caught up considering relative clauses with that/which.  Ooooh dear - yes a VERY dry subject.  I'm putting myself to sleep!

2. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the change of colors. I didn't like the original teal either.

3. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Lol, well thats fun!

although the color above was a test block -> #C0D9D9  was the one that seemed to fit HPs design a bit better and got my final suggestion.

Im sure your designers will make any necessary tweaks if necessary, thanks for the toning down!

1. amalloy profile image69

April first may not be the best day to announce it, but the new color is here. Here's a toast to...slightly reduced eyestrain, I guess?

4. profile image0

Amalloy, how handsome you look framed in that color. Much improved. Thanks!

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

oh nice, yes, that looks better.  smile

6. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years ago

I don't have any issue with whatever color HP staff posts their comments in the forums. That the comments stand out is enough. Plus, if I don't like the intensity of the color, I can just tilt my laptop screen and get a softer color. smile

Good job, HP. Keep the staff posts in a color that stands out. That's every reason to scroll through a forum looking for the skinny.

7. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years ago
    8. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the biggest nut of us all?..
      I think I'll put this question in the "Topics" section next time. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)