Christianity started the Crusades Witch Hunting and The Inquisition

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (47 posts)
  1. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Mick Menous wrote:

Now I do know for a fact that it was Christianity that did start The Crusades, Witch Hunting, and The Inquisition which resulted in the deaths of so many people, but that was a VERY LONG time ago.

Paarsurrey says:

I think the present day Christians would agree to it.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/70755?page=2

1. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the Christians were responsible for the inquisition. Didn't they?

1. NateSean profile image65
        NateSeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actuallty, the Inquisition was started by a government that believed in torture to set an example to the people. Christianity had nothing to do with it.

Gladiators, you know, those condemned people who were sent to the arena to fight for their lives in a big and horrible bloody display for the entertainment of the millions: Those were Romans who worshipped Zeus and the Olympian pantheon.

Vikings who traveled to the Americas and raped and tortured native Americans? They weren't Christians either. They were Norseman who followed Odin, Thor and the other Norse gods.

So, what am I trying to get at here? Yes, there were plenty of Christians who could be held responsible for the deaths of "so many people" as you put it. But Christianity is not the sole source of all death, destruction and senseless mayhem.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
          Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that government was the Pope, who assigned "inquisitors of heretical depravity" to inquire into heresy. This was in stark contrast to Roman laws of judicial process. smile

so....in your opinion having trained animals rape people before a crowd of spectators was somehow more...appropriate than a visit to the Pope's Little House?

Huh? What are you talking about?

Oh, since you're the expert around here I thought you knew about some of the less than savory "events" that took place in the Roman blood games.

The "Roman laws of judicial process" that you find to be in "stark contrast" to the Pope's choice of punishment, often involved such gory events. Remember, the gladiators and other condemned of the old Roman Empire died for entertainment.

So, lets say you were a woman who was found guilty of killing her children. Or maybe of sleeping with a man outside of marriage. Oh and if you're not a noble, or of noble blood, you won't be given the consideration of a private death. You'd be staked to the ground, your body exposed for all to see. And a trained animal, a donkey, or a leopard, depending on what's hot at that moment, would come out into the center of the arena and rape you.

And people would be cheering.

So reiterate my point. The Catholic Church is most definitely not the sole source of all torment and rape.

I never said I was an expert, although it's evident I know substantially more about believers religions than they do.

I wasn't aware that the "Pope's Little House" was the same thing as "Roman blood games."

So what? The judicial process refutes your claim of what occurred during the Inquisition, which was the entire point.

No one said it was the sole source or said it was more appropriate. What a ridiculous thing to say.

It's as if you were defending the Catholic Church and the atrocities it committed. Is that what you're doing? smile

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Untrue.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't there, so I don't know!
      But rumor has it that Christianity started the witch hunting and Crusades.  Again, wasn't that the Catholic Church which started the Crusades?  And that does not always equal to Christianity!
      As far as witch hunting.....well, does it ever occur to ANYBODY that just maybe WITCHES were the cause of the problem at the root?  Sheesh.  The modern fad is to blame everything on everyone else EXCEPT anti-Christians.

The people accused of witchcraft were innocent. And the ways used to determine whether or not someone was a witch were horrendous and cruel.

So unless you don't mind standing by and watching while someone is burned, drowned, pressed to death, lowered into scalding oil, or smashed against rocks because they were a woman who delivered babies or practiced medicine, then perhaps you shouldn't be auditioning for the part of the kettle. Because the pot is definitely black.

The point I am making is that it is not the religion, or the Bible, or God, or whatever deity you chose to believe that causes the murder. It's people. Plain and simple.

1. profile image51

You are right there; those who do such acts "someone is burned, drowned, pressed to death, lowered into scalding oil, or smashed against rocks" do it on their own; there are no such teachings in the truthful Word revealed.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image76
            Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True, these acts have been going on throughout recorded history. Any religion or philosophy or nation or race or ethnic group, etc. that tells their members that they are somehow better than the "others" is sowing the seeds for man's inhumanity to man.

Religious leaders, in particular, eternally claim their innocence for any atrocities done on their watch, but by promoting divisiveness, they too bear responsibility for the ungodly results of such teachings.

1. profile image51

Buddha, Krishna, Moses,Zoroaster,Jesus and Muhammad; they were humble persons with no claims of any superiority; they did not divide the people; if people opposed them tooth and nail; that is their responsibility not of those religious humble persons.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image76
                Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They were probably all great guys -- I don't have any proof of that nor does anyone else. If they had some magical words or writings to assure peace and honesty among future generations, then the results should have been better than we see.

Crusades & Jihad -- can any really rational person believe that a higher consciousness would approve of such atrocities?

1. profile image51

If the non-believers attack  the humble persons aggressively like Buddha, Krishna, Moses,Zoroaster,Jesus and Muhammad; what rational action is left with them than to defend themselves.

2. profile image0

I agree it's people!

But how do you know the accused were innocent?

So, a woman delivers a baby in a time when women weren't allowed to perform medicine...and it's perfectly acceptable to burn her in front of a crowd because you don't know for sure that she was innocent? What was she guilty off exactly? Bringing a healthy child into the world?

You do realize that the people accused of witchcraft weren't actual witches, right?

These people were accused of witchcraft for having boils on their bodies which were said to be the *ahem* holes, from which the Devil sucked.

There was no scientific basis for the accusations. And these people did not get justice, so don't you dare act like those atrocities were in anyway justified. Because if men like that were still in power, you'd be beaten to death just for posting online.

How about the innocent baby that died in jail during the Witch Trials because they couldn't get food to it after it was born. Maybe the baby was guilty of peeing on Reverend Hale's shirt, who knows. You're right. Condemn the innocent baby.

1. profile image0

I got this from Wikipedia.  Notice the notation of the word "theory" after item 14.  Is that where you get your views of this subject, from a "theory"???

------------------

During the Christian era in Europe, midwives became important to the church due to their role in emergency baptisms, and found themselves regulated by Roman Catholic canon law.[12] In Medieval times, childbirth was considered so deadly that the Christian Church told pregnant women to prepare their shrouds and confess their sins in case of death. The Church pointed to Genesis 3:16 as the basis for pain in childbirth, where Eve's punishment for her role in disobeying God was that he would "multiply thy sorrows, and thy conceptions: in sorrow shalt thou bring forth children." A popular medieval saying was, "The better the witch; the better the midwife"; to guard against witchcraft, the Church required midwives to be licensed by a bishop and swear an oath not to use magic when assisting women through labour.[13]

[edit] Later historical perspectiveIn the 18th century, a division between surgeons and midwives arose, as medical men began to assert that their modern scientific processes were better for mothers and infants than the folk-medical midwives.

At the outset of the 18th century in England, most babies were caught by a midwife, but by the onset of the 19th century, the majority of those babies born to persons of means had a surgeon involved. A number of excellent full-length studies[which?] of this historical shift have been written.[citation needed]

German social scientists Gunnar Heinsohn and Otto Steiger theorize that midwifery became a target of persecution and repression by public authorities because midwives not only possessed highly specialized knowledge and skills regarding assisting birth, but also regarding contraception and abortion.[14] According to Heinsohn and Steiger's theory, the modern state persecuted the midwives as witches in an effort to repopulate the European continent which had suffered severe loss of manpower as a result of the bubonic plague (also known as the black death) which had swept over the continent in waves, starting in 1348.

They thus interpret the witch hunts as attacking midwifery and knowledge about birth control with a demographic goal in mind. Indeed, after the witch hunts, the number of children per mother rose sharply, giving rise to what has been called the "European population explosion" of modern times, producing an enormous youth bulge that enabled Europe to colonize large parts of the rest of the world.[citation needed]

While historians specializing in the history of the witch hunts have generally remained critical of this macroeconomic approach and continue to favor micro level perspectives and explanations, prominent historian of birth control John M. Riddle has expressed agreement.[15]

No, sweat pea. I definitely don't get my views from a wikipedia article.

The atrocities commited against women and the uneducated innocents who were harmed by people who took religion out of context to justify their actions, were being taught to us in school long before the Internet was a gleam in Al Gore's eye.

And the history of places like Salem, Mass were built on such innocent bloodshed.

Perhaps you think you would have had a fair trial in 1692, being a woman who spoke freely, if you were accused of witchcraft. But the majority of historians who work and are active in this town would tell  you otherwise. And no, they didn't get their info from wikipedia either.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
            Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only God knows who were innocent, and who should be be forgiven.
            Jesus did not say the woman accused of adultery was innocent, He only asked a question of those who wanted to stone her to death.

1. profile image0

Rochelle, good call!  I agree with that.

2. Maembe profile image59
        Maembeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol, you can't be serious

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

She is serious. Those Witches were ASKING for it and the Kristians were jus' doin' wot god sed.

4. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not att that knowledgable of all the facts, but it is my understanding that the crucades began after Islam had conquored over half of the known world and wasn't finished yet.

So it seems to me to have been all political.

5. MysteryPlanet profile image59
      MysteryPlanetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Crusades was about control and power by the Roman Church and although they labeled themselves as Christian they were not. Just my own opinion on the matter but calling oneself something does not make them that no matter how many times they do it or how many others they convince.

1. profile image51
      2. profile image51

The Christians had deviated from the path Jesus had highlighted; and it was the wrong of the Church to start crusades in the name of Jesus or religion. It was only a power struggle nothing to do with religion or Jesus.

2. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Why oh why couldn't the crusaders have had the benevolent peaceful dispositions possessed by the followers of Islam!?!?!

The bathing practices might have been nice too. At least the Muslims invented travel soap.

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

please elaborate on these bathing practices with pictures

3. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"Heinsohn and Otto Steiger theorize that midwifery became a target of persecution and repression by public authorities because midwives not only possessed highly specialized knowledge and skills regarding assisting birth, but also regarding contraception and abortion". Agrees with what I have read. "effort to repopulate the European continent which had suffered severe loss of manpower as a result of the bubonic plague". That's a new one - thanks. Think the church position is anti-abortion, since souls must be born in order to be saved. And of course there always those who view population increase in terms of political tactics and demographics and especially when the population is considered the elite of mankind.

4. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

What does "a visit to the Pope's Little House" mean?

If you were a prisoner of the Inquisition during the mid-to-late 17th century, you were said to be a visitor to the Pope's Little House. It was a place you went to to be tortured.

1. profile image0

I see.
        I thought you were trying to compare the old savagery of the Roman Empire to the molestation of children by the Catholic priests, like one was worse than the other....

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Yes, for being a heretic and not accepting the church's doctrines. Are you proud of this heritage? smile

5. profile image0
    Digsposted 13 years ago

Mankind has done much in the name of God that has nothing to do with God!  Ask yourself whether the events occurring during the Crusades, Inqusition, and witch hunts lined up with God's word.  If not, then you know who is responsible don't you?

1. Jerami profile image58

Actually, That is a very good question!

And diserves a great deal of consideration.

Do you have an answer?   I do. But would love to hear yours. (first)

1. profile image0
        Digsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Scripturally, there are only two forces at work in the universe.  Mankind has a choice as to which he/she lend themselves.  You can make it more complicated than that, but it wouldn't change anything.

1. Jerami profile image58

Can I presume you to mean that, if people who believe themselves to be Godly people are doing unGodly things, that they have been deceived?

1. profile image0
            Digsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a man who isn't sure what to make of life or the universe in which he lives.  There are two spiritual forces at work in creation and we all eventually choose which one we serve.  Choosing light over dark does not mean instant perfection.  It does mean that you have set your feet on a path in acknowledgement of truth.  There is a scripture found in Joshua 24; 14&15, that says in part, "Choose this day whom you will serve."   Existentialist theorizing can be entertaining much in the same fashion a card trick is entertaining.  But its plausibility is based on a distraction not reality.

6. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"Scripturally, there are only two forces at work in the universe." So what is that God and the Devil?

1. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

scripturally there is only one force at work in the universe. God

Isaiah 45

Isaiah 45:2   I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron:

Isaiah 45:3   And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou may know that I, the LORD, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel.

Isaiah 45:4   For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.

Isaiah 45:5   I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

Isaiah 45:6   That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.

Isaiah 45:7   I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Isaiah 45:8   Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.

Isaiah 45:9   Woe unto him that strives with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashions it, What make you? or thy work, He has no hands?

Isaiah 45:10   Woe unto him that saith unto his father or to the woman, What hast thou brought forth?

Isaiah 45:11   Thus saith the LORD, the Holy One of Israel,  Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me.

Isaiah 45:12   I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded.

Isaiah 45:13   I have raised him up in righteousness, and I will direct all his ways: he shall build my city, and he shall let go my captives, not for price nor reward, saith the LORD of hosts.

Isaiah 45:14   Thus saith the LORD, The labor of Egypt, and merchandise of Ethiopia and of the Sabeans, men of stature, shall come over unto thee, and they shall be thine: they shall come after thee; in chains they shall come over, and they shall fall down unto thee, they shall make supplication unto thee, saying, Surely God is in thee; and there is none else, there is no God.

Isaiah 45:15   Verily thou art a God that hides thyself, O God of Israel, the Savior.

Isaiah 45:16   They shall be ashamed, and also confounded, all of them: they shall go to confusion together that are makers of idols.

Isaiah 45:17   But Israel shall be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.

Isaiah 45:18   For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

Isaiah 45:19   I have not spoken in secret, in a dark place of the earth: I said not unto the seed of Jacob, Seek ye me in vain: I the LORD speak righteousness, I declare things that are right.

Isaiah 45:20   Assemble yourselves and come; draw near together, ye that are escaped of the nations: they have no knowledge that set up the wood of their graven image, and pray unto a god that cannot save.

Isaiah 45:21   Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Savior; there is none beside me.

Isaiah 45:22   Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

Isaiah 45:23   I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

7. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

The army of darkness did it  smile

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4843226.jpg

8. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

You are all innocent.

9. kephrira profile image61
    kephriraposted 13 years ago

I'm not usually one to defend Christianity but the Crusades were

1) A direct response to the takeover of many countries neighbouring Europe by Islamic armies, and invasions of Europe such as the occupation of Spain. The pope used the promise of forgiveness of all sins to mobilise ordinary citizens against the Islamic armies because the rulers of Europe could not afford to raise big enough armies to defend themselves in the conventional manner.

2) Just a set of wars over land, which was quite normal at the time, and hence not the horrific act you seems to be making them out to be.

10. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

yes they did...so?...why do we take religion too seriously?..as long as we do we would see bloodshed in future too...religion creates divide and wars...it is inherent nature of religion and nothing new in it...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)