Make Profiles Compulsory

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

It seems when hub hopping that a lot of the spammy spun nonsense is provided by people who have no profile and no picture.

Why not make a paragraph, minimum 50 words say, of profile writing compulsory?  And a pic as well.  I mean neither would be particularly hard for a new hubber to deal with.

1. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And then they'd look even less like a hit and run spammer.

I think it's fine as it is. If I see a person without a half decent profile it helps me make up my mind that they're not serious and I give them less attention.

Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's a fair point.

2. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll second this.  A blank profile is a great way of separating the wheat from the chaff.

1. iQwest profile image51
          iQwestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think there are arguments for both sides.  To Mark's point, the more hoops a spammer has to jump through to get on board will definitely deter a good number of spammers.  To darkside and relache's points of view, it definitely makes it easier to see who is "a hit and run spammer".  My initial thoughts put me firmly on the fence.

Perhaps the default profile text should be "I'm a criminal spammer" with a photo of a dog turd.  Then if people don't bother to change it...

1. TamCor profile image77
              TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There you go...PERFECT solution! lol

2. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

good idea

just noticed you are 100 many happy returns, did you get your card from the queen today?

No card, but she's probably busy making the cake and stuff for the wedding.

3. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

Good idea but you know I can say :"Hi, I'm the Queen of England" and make up a nice profile and it's not really true.  So spammers can spin us a tale concerning their profiles.

Oh yes Bobbi, of course they can.  But it would probably be one more way of confirming what you already suspect.

"I am elegant writings much profitably talent for goodness of public safeness"

and so on.

4. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Any text based content inside the profile is meaningless to me, but as Im pretty sure lots of the spam content is auto-posted via software that registers and submits content on its own but does not seem to have the capability of UPLOADING and cropping a Profile Photo, I think that tiny step would do wonders to stop spam postings

(until they change their macros to beat that also)

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

someone here was talking about a site a few days ago that automatically spins and posts to other sites, isn't that taboo? sites like Social Monkee?  what kind of sites do they link to?

5. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

photo and profile text are good. I noticed that also when hub hopping, most are spam, spun content, copied and over promotion to their sites without profile and avatar

6. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

Well someone started a thread on here 'Making a comment a day' etc,which I thought was a good positive initative and eagerly jumped on the bandwagon,visited and left comments etc.

Now Im thinking after reading 3 Hubs of one said Hubber ,with no profile,most of the stuff is copied, so I guess the jokes on me...Grrrr..

You know you've been had when they don't answer your comment.  Of course some people just don't get around to answering.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thats true.

Guess I figured though ,if they began a thread about it then ...oh well not entirely a wasted effort on my part.wink

7. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I agree that a profile and photo need to be included before writing.
    I also want some hubs under their belt before posting in the forums. other sites make you register and write before posting,why not HP?

8. TLMinut profile image59
    TLMinutposted 12 years ago

Mark, your idea is great! lol

I deleted my profile, seems it should be targetted to what one writes but I write all over the place and not very much at that. I changed my profile a few times - I keep moving too, that didn't help - and finally just deleted it all. I have an avatar though, would that count?

Well I don't want to start a profile war here.  But why don't you have even the barest "I like writing and I enjoy walks by the beach" or something.  It doesn't have to be personal, or even true, but just a small flavour of where you are at.

But hey.  I don't make the rules - thank goodness.

ps. Your pics nice.

9. TLMinut profile image59
    TLMinutposted 12 years ago

Let's see, I could write that I lived in an RV and traveled, no Utah, no SC, traveling again...
    Living with my four...now three...now two...now one son. Now with my two sons and grandkids...now with my parents...now...
    I'm studying medical coding, wait - teaching methods, no - computer apps, no - now it's politics...

Maybe I'll just write: TLMinut lives in the State of Constant Flux!

Hmm.  I'd flag that straight away.

Joke.

10. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

They could always use those Captcha thingys...theyre annoying ,but sposed to deter automation an such?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)