I need some wisdom, so I'd like to take a "show of hands"?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (53 posts)
  1. RKHenry profile image64
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

The gathered information will help me to determine future approaches &/or participation.

It is a simple YES or NO poll.  No rebuttals please, they aren't necessary when addressing this question.  It is an all or none instant, with the direct purpose of excluding the variables of "only if", "only when" or "but....," & other said types of variables. Thank you for your help.

The question:

"Is asking a clear, direct question[s] to a fellow hubber wrong in a forum?"

Yes or no please.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My answer to you, is No.smile

2. R. Blue profile image61
      R. Blueposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ummm...I have a hanging chad! Can't get the thing to punch out....looks like.....nah...it's got to be a maybe...Sorry!!

3. reggieTull profile image61
      reggieTullposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Confused...If a question is posted on a forum directly asking a single hubber a question - NO, could turn to bullying.  Post an email directly to them and keep it private.

Daily, I see questions posted directly to Hubbers in forums - hey, that is what the discourse is all about.  Hubbers are constantly challenging the opinions of other Hubbers based on forum responses.

So No then Yes. 

Sorry about the lack of clearness of this response.

RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry you lack clearness.  But it's clear that others are not having the same problem in this. 

If your sole purpose was to bring forth a critique.  Thank you.  I accept the points you made, and will weigh it upon the fact that others did not seem to have a "clearness" issue.  Thanks.smile

4. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

NO.  Of course not.

Lita???  Are you sure you feel this way?

ya gotta know I'm just teasing.lol

5. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no

Sandra, have I told you lately how lovely you are?  Excuse my English.

6. MissJamieD profile image56
      MissJamieDposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, sir!

7. MagicStarER profile image71
      MagicStarERposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, of course not, especially if that is what you are looking for... 

Being direct and authentic is how people communicate best.

2. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

No. smile

3. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 14 years ago

I would have to say no.  I know you asked for a yes or no answer, no ifs, ands, or buts.  But there are some.  If it is directed at a specific Hubber, maybe sending them an email is better.  If it's directed at all Hubbers, no, no problem there.  I guess that's really it.  Unless it's not appropriate, then maybe it shouldn't be asked.  I have no idea what question you are wanting to ask, or to whom you may be directing the questions, but I hope this helps.

Ah, many hubbers report such said emails as harassment do they not?  I don't mind emails.  But clearly some do.  A lot the email I receive, the sender makes note.  So...., that is why it is not included into the mixture.  I have a strong growing curve.  I do have the ability to learn from others mistakes.  I wouldn't advise emails, based on what I've learned from my friends here on hubpages.

So looks like we have 4 no's. 

No it is not wrong.

4. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Yes.... don't want be attacking somebody. Use their email.

No .... if they initiated the conversation.

Suppose that puts me in the middle. Maybe. Depends..etc tongue hmm sorry

Again, to anybody who reads this.  I highly suggest no to the email. It is my understanding that you could be flagged, or banned for that.

Again, this is concerning CLEAR and FRANK questions.  Not insults.

1. R. Blue profile image61

Perhaps it would help if you asked if you could ask a clear and frank question before doing so.  If you are going to ask such person if they are gay, you might say..."do you mind if I ask you a question about your sexuality?"  or if you want to hit on some hottie you might ask "can I ask you how you'd feel about sex with me tonight?"...therefore..the question in question would determine my yes or no.

If I was to inquire about someone's sexuality, I'd ask:

"Are you gay?", clear enough?  That's what I'm talking about if the subject is approach. 

Are you gay? 

Understand?

1. R. Blue profile image61

Again the question and subject matter would determine if a frank question were appropriate.  "Did you use strawberries or blueberries in that recipe?" would be an appropriate question...unless it was a trade secret.  Asking someone if they are gay on a hunch would be absolutely inappropriate.  Asking a fat lady what tentmaker she goes to to buy her clothes would be funny, but totally inappropriate.  So again my answer is depends on the topic and the question you want to ask....you have to use some common sense.

Wouldn't the clear and direct answer to the use of which berry be a yes or no?

Yes strawberries
              no blueberries
              yes strawberries
              yes blueberries
              no strawberries
              no blueberries, watermelon.

Can you ask someone in the hubpage forum a clear, direct question?

Maybe???

Okay, thank you. 

Not on the list.  Sorry.

5. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

NO

6. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

No, I believe all posts should be asked.  If a person is a tool and a bully it will come out in what they say and do.  Most people who see that will draw the correct conclusion and ignore the poster if they are a tool. 

Second, if a person has the stones to post something, they should have the stones to stand by what they say.  If they can't they belong on the playground rather than big kid's town.

smile

7. The Misty Rose profile image60
    The Misty Roseposted 14 years ago

Absolutely Not Wrong

8. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Blue there just might have a definite point, RK! 

Without enlisting any kind of rebuttal.  (Just teasin' ya.)

9. Curious Traveller profile image68
    Curious Travellerposted 14 years ago

On the face of it, no. There are a great many questions, however, which simply cannot be answered in such a succinct fashion, and I would have to know the specifics as to why you pose this conundrum to reply in any greater detail.

It is as simple as it is.

To place in buts in this instance, is stating that everything you said before the but, was truly a lie.  For it is yourself placing upon the stipulations to a direct answer.  Making the words stated before the but, worthless.

Please take the question at face value.

1. Curious Traveller profile image68
        Curious Travellerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Firstly, I did not use the word, "but." Secondly, your reply is absolute gibberish!

Given what I now perceive to be your thought processes, my answer has changed to most definitely yes, it is wrong!

Thank you for the insult, oh I mean constructive criticism.  However, I was only giving way to my position and addressing my opinion to everyone.  YOU, brought forth a point, that I wanted to address.

It is my belief that "YOU"[meaning JOE PUBLIC].........
          Curious Traveller:
          I will not argue with you on whether I said YOU SAID BUT.  BUT, you're confused in my direct opinion. I never said, "curious traveller, when YOU [curious traveller] say but......."

I did not say YOU said that.  Got it? 

Now, let me be frank here, YOU were wrong.  Now are you going to rebuff your insults or are you going to be a petty fool?

I regret to say that once again your reply does not make sense. Your grasp of the English language is clearly not sufficient to make yourself understood.

I wish you success in finding the answer to that which you wish to establish but as I cannot understand your words, there would appear to be little sense in continuing this debate.

Good luck with the English language lessons and stick in there - you need them!

Ah, thank you.  Please do excuse me if I choose not to insult you.  Bad Karma. 

Clear enough?  Correct enough? 

Be well.

There was never at any time an insult intended.
                You be well, too.

Really?  The EXPLANATION marks, behind your critical critique of my knowledge of the English language wasn't an insult?

Oh, and then there was and I quote, "Secondly, your reply is absolute gibberish!" Amazing.
                  "Absolute gibberish!"  Not an insult? Really.

My mistake. 
                  Wow.
                  You are right. 

If that was constructive criticism, I must need lessons in my native tongue.

What are "explanation marks?" There is no such term in the English language! I presume that you are referring to "quotation" symbols.

You have admitted to being a group, so I suppose that another one of you has now taken over with a "slightly" better command of the English language.

I am astounded by the "native tongue" remark. If English is indeed the "native tongue" of the writer of this comment, your collective problems are far greater than I had anticipated!

My intention in the first instance was to give a sensible answer to the question posed. It appears that such is not what you wished, rather some irritating form of abuse and discourse was your intention.

Goodbye!

Au Revoir!
                    Auf Widersehn!

10. profile image0

Europeans can just be so snotty (!) wink

I'll have >you all< know (southern grammatical usage that actually works quite elegantly, though I personally don't use it myself)]that my Yankee education learned me, lol, that English was majorly influenced by a number of different languages and cultures, not the least of which was that of my ancestors.  Danelaws were the norm and Danish was the 'civilized' language in Britain many many years ago.  Oh, then there is Latin, smile...

English is, of course, an amalgam of different cultures and peoples who add to and change it--precisely what may be witnessed here.  Snottiness can be so funny, too....

(With my apologies to the likable Brits on this forum, truly.)

Firstly, the instigator of this issue is almost certainly an (illegal?) immigrant to your country from Eastern Europe or Asia somewhere.

Secondly, it was my genuine intention to give a sensible answer to the question posed here in the first instance and the abuse levied against me for same is totally out of order.

Had someone of your obvious experience on these forums taken the trouble to make such determinations in the first instance, you may not have made such a preposterous post in the first instance.

PS: what are all these weird symbols about in your post - are you drunk?

11. RKHenry profile image64
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

So back on track, my apologies.

It seems that there is one hubber who feels that it is wrong to ask a hubber a clear, direct question.  A couple of maybes, a confused, and several No's. 

The question is:

"Is asking a clear, direct question[s] to a fellow hubber wrong in a forum?"

Yes or no?

12. profile image0

No--creative occasions for poetic formatting, so I've been told.  Also could be I worked as a graphic designer for a period of time, I just don't know... Could be I think other people can catch on to diversity in expression, but I realize that is not always the case with those so rule bound.

(I just get a kick outa people who start their sentences with 'Firstly,' and 'Secondly,' I must say.)

And know, Dear Sir & Madam, the OP (that's original poster in internet speak for the uninitiated), or as you would say, 'instigator,' is not an illegal alien.  He's a youngish black guy from around Chicago most probably attending an ivy league college on our East Coast.  His diction says so.

wink

Take it all with a grain of salt, there, Traveler.  I'm simply in a mood to be witty (or perhaps not, depending on where you stand) today.

Darn it Lita!  You blew my cover. I like being view as an illegal. 

Teasing.  That's too funny.

Curious Traveller- funny.  I no speak'ca` english, Padre!   

Curious Traveller, do go on with your comical assumptions and insults.  You're unique carriage is truly entertaining.

13. sassychic profile image61
    sassychicposted 14 years ago

I say no. You can do that its fine. Just dont be condicending

14. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

No problem, as long as you accept their right to refuse to answer smile

15. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

Yes but no but yes but.....

(Little Britain, anyone?)

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/606/2/refresh/images/smileys/f_laugh.gif

The computer says no!

1. countrywomen profile image60
        countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sufi- What else can a dumb thing like computer do except for regurgitating the preprogrammed logic. wink

RK- But seriously humans may not always want to have the ability to react in a binary tree and boolean logic (of 0,1) etc unlike computers which are programmed accordingly (although computers don't get tired or have moods).

Humans respond differently to different stimuli. If someone has a very close rapport with me then even an uncomfortable question would evoke a yes response to answer one way or the other but if I don't have that level of trust or rapport then certainly prodding somebody to take a definite stand would be considered as pushing it. I guess in general my answer would be NO. smile

1. LondonGirl profile image82
          LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Computer says no" is a catchphrase from the programme I mentioned, Little Britain.

2. RKHenry profile image64

lol

16. Herald Daily profile image60
    Herald Dailyposted 14 years ago

I vote no, on the assumption that the question pertains to non-personal matters.

So asking you if you were straight would be out of the question?

[joking:lol:]

1. Herald Daily profile image60
        Herald Dailyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can ask me!  smile  I'm not sure everyone feels that way about very personal matters, though.

When I saw that you found my response I thought to myself, "BUSTED!"

Thanks for being a great sport.lol

1. Herald Daily profile image60
            Herald Dailyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile I had to laugh when I read it.

17. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

I would say "NO" because direct questions make it easier to know how to answer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)