Death of a Forum Poster

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (56 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Edit: I stepped in it this time. The title is in reference to the play, “Death of a Salesman”. I am seeking information on why people stop posting in forums.
    Original OP:

Be advised that any postings here may or may not be attributed in my hub.

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Category is still undetermined as of yet.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What's the meaning of your title?

2. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 13 years ago

Thank God for that! I thought somebody had died on us.

paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jeez, sorry about that. Reference is to "Death of a Salesman".

1. camlo profile image83
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that was a movie, and I think I've seen it, but a long, long time ago. I'll try and refresh my memory. This sounds interesting.

EDIT: No - a play, and I haven't seen it.

3. paradigmsearch profile image59

Update:

Postings will not be attributed unless requested otherwise.

4. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

People stop posting to the forums for many different reasons. I'm sure that many stop because they find it a waste of their time, when they could be doing other things.

That would be just one reason. Others could see posting to the forums, especially in the religious and political forum thread, a futile attempt to talk sense into others, even after trying for a long period of time.

Many people fail or refuse to understand specifics on certain aspects and trying to convey a message in the forum thread becomes self-defeating, so they leave.

Just a thought. tongue smile

Excellent response.

5. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I'm up for an attribution thing.  What's it about?  Death or something?

Yeah, what Cagsil said.

And you can quote me on that.

6. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

http://animestash.info/forum/Smileys/default/dead.gif

7. paradigmsearch profile image59

More

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

More what?

It requires people to be in the forums and what I can see, the number of people who were here about 1 year ago this month versus last year at this time, that number has dramatically changed.

When I posted my hub on the Women Writers of Hubpages Community last year, there were about 200-300 people who would frequent the forums. Now, there would be less than 50 people who come to the forums.

The title of this thread should be "death of the forum", never mind the "forum poster". lol

Death of forums will never happen. You know that. smile

As to Death of Forums Posters, that happens all the time. An apparently naturally cycling of whatever… This thread is an inquiry as to why.

I am glad you told me. I would have never figured it out. Much appreciated. tongue

Pawn to King 4.

okay. Pawn to King 4 tongue

I expected better. Now I have to think. At least your response has given me an incentive to replace my chess set. Stay tuned.

You expected better? Interesting statement.

Dingbat! smile

One move a day at best, if that. smile

I shall not post on other thread, so delete it until such time as when we both, if ever, agree on it. smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image59

Excellent response.

8. elayne001 profile image78
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

I used to frequent the forums. I still look at them occasionally.

Topics posted in the forums:

hubpage news
    bragging
    flirting
    arguing
    ranting
    raving
    asking for help
    spamming
    name calling
    soliciting

once in a while there is an intellectual conversation going on.
    I guess I found it more beneficial to write hubs - go figure.

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
      DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A HUGE "like" on this.  Although I've noticed some of the writers who took their hubs and left also are ones who caused alot of controversy in the forums.

1. viryabo profile image96
        viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I actually visit everyday to find out what's new in terms of new ideas about how to improve my works. Im here to work and have some fun on the side, but lately, the fun is now out the window, so..............i'll just work.

But barely leave comments now.

2. viryabo profile image96

lol

Good one.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59

Excellent response.

3. viryabo profile image96

In total agreement.

9. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 13 years ago

I can say this much - I was more active in the forums when I first stumbled upon HubPages because I thought it was a GREAT place to stimulate thought and help me along with my writing.  I got trampled (fairly in some cases, not so fairly in others) in more than a few forum threads and just figured that I'd stick to doing what I originally came to do, which was write.

I also, in all honesty, HATE to argue.  Debate is nice, sometimes, and discussion as well, but forum threads tend to so quickly degenerate into a bunch of folks pointing fingers and calling names and getting away with it.  It's annoying on occasion.  I read through forum threads, and still occasionally post to one here or there.  Very few people respond to my posts, though, because they think I'm one of the unevolved, unintelligent believers in supernatural fairies and mythology, so little else I say actually gets taken seriously.

I tend to think a little more middle of the road than the average folks who like to stir things around in the forums.  I personally think some of what I say makes too much sense to both sides for anyone with an extreme opinion to try to counter - and when you take away the opportunity to throw pooh, the monkeys go back to sleep.  wink

So, I pop in occasionally, but not as often as I did in the beginning.

Excellent response.

10. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

the forums are a wonderful place to communicate.  I sometimes do not get here, because i am too busy, but am always glad when i do.  Hub pages has changed a lot since i joined, and lots of friends have gone their own way.... always a pleasure to see old timers, regulars and new people ...... What would we do without the forums

Excellent response.

11. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 13 years ago

I've just been dead for two hours.

12. paradigmsearch profile image59

And it will not be closed. The more kibitzing, the better.smile

13. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 13 years ago

Can we progress backward?

Apparently so. hmm

14. paradigmsearch profile image59

I see you closed it re my statement. Sorry.

15. paradigmsearch profile image59

Give me a minute. I'll see if I can make you happy. smile

Don't waste the effort.

Wrong. smile

I've said from day one, "mail order" chess, if you will.

However, I shall defer from the new thread I was going to post.

We stand at:

"The moves so far are King Pawn to King Pawn 4 and King Pawn to King Pawn 4."

Resign. You win. Game over. Congrats! smile

No. Your Pawn-to-K4 reply has given me the incentive to replace my gone chess sets (note the plural).

I'm honored that anything I said would inspire you to do anything whatsoever. However, you cannot deny my resignation. wink tongue

As for replacing chess sets? I've 4 boards myself. And, always refused to get rid of any of them.

But, I hope you find a board you like. smile I think I remember someone on HP writing a Hub on Chess Boards. Maybe you can find a really nice one. Good luck either way. smile

Live with it. lol

How about stolen or lost?

I shall. smile

Easily done. tongue
                  Sorry, never lost one nor have I ever encountered someone stealing one.
                  I'm sure you will. lol

16. paradigmsearch profile image59

"Death of a Forum Poster"

Meanwhile, back to the subject.

Say it here...

17. paradigmsearch profile image59

Depending on my feelings on the subject, I may or may not follow through on my plan to do a hub on this topic. Frankly, I hope to be distracted into finding something more cheerful. smile

18. paradigmsearch profile image59

This thread was originally started for research purposes. However, based on what I am currently seeing in other threads, this thread may have just become a timely predictor in and of itself. Maybe a half-hour break for all parties concerned?

19. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

Is anybody else confused?

There were some really unhappy posts being made elsewhere at the time... My post was just an attempt to derail the potential for unpleasant fallout.

20. paradigmsearch profile image59

I have decided to scrap this topic idea for a hub. Yours truly will only be writing happy hubs and knowledge hubs. smile

If anyone else wants it, it is all yours. smile

21. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Maybe someone needs to create the sockpuppet, "Tillie Noman" for this particular thread (or else, maybe, "Millie Schloman" or "Silly Omen", even) - and then post about the poor creature's demise??  (Of course it would have to be someone who isn't all busy with fixing up their Hubs - and all the rest of it...)

22. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

For me, it's ALWAYS the same ole same old.  The topics in the religious forum are always the same, just worded differently........  The political forum is always the same, and the end results are all the same........, liberal vs. conservative.  It gets BORING!  I use to spend hours in the forums.  That's when we had Mark, Pam, Sufi, LondonGirl, Theresa, GoldenToad, Lita, Nick......  Those were the days, when the subjects would change, everyone discussed new ideas openly, people were frank and outspoken without being offensive, and the rules of debate were generally adhered too. 

But now- the forums have gotten to the point of being very predictable.  I promise you that a month from now, the hot religious topic for the day was the hot topic last month.  Boring!

23. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I, myself, am moving toward the light - but I can spare you a few seconds to respond with -

it just isn't as interesting here anymore.  I don't want to talk about the same old biblical subjects or political slanders

I used to enjoy exchanging witticisms but the wits have all gone toward the light or something and the few left are burdened with dull, predictable, misunderstanding responses to their lightness - also I get ignored a lot.  I stopped asking questions.  Also the other hippies have stopped coming around and no one wants to hunt zombies anymore.  You may quote me on all of that.

Now, I will proceed toward the light - see, it?  there's this long tunnel and a very very bright light - can't you see it?

lol

24. Charles James profile image67
    Charles Jamesposted 13 years ago

I think "Death of a Salesman" was by Arthur Miller.

I am perpetually surprised how rude some people are to each other. "Robust" can go too far.

Intelligent discussion /debate is sometimes better in response to a hub because if you are the hub owner you can decide whether to publish a comment. And if you are not the hub owner you can walk away.

25. johncimble profile image52
    johncimbleposted 12 years ago

I think its simply losing interest, gaining a new interest. People don't have unlimited time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)