How much will this swine flue will affect our recession recovery?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Lgali profile image57
    Lgaliposted 15 years ago

I think may be 6 more month

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's just propaganda to distract us from the real issues.  There are only 70 labratory-confirmed cases of swine flu in the United States, no confirmed deaths.

1. LondonGirl profile image82
        LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't quite agree. Only 70 cases in the USA so far, yes. And only 2 in the UK. But it could (not will) get very nasty indeed. Let's hope it doesn't.

2. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You took the typing right out of my post, Maddie.  Agreed.  Not to mention, there are 4 different types of medicines that are effective on this virus...  It's just media hysteria designed to obfuscate our real issues.  All the alarmists will now jump on the 'new crisis.'

What sucks is that some countries are going to boycott the US (and I know for a fact not coming to trade shows and media events, ie, some I'm involved with), driving our economy down further.

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image59
          GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And class, do we know the difference between bacteria and virus?

Not that I'm trying to stir up the hornets nest, however...

A virus is not alive. It doesn't "replicate" as we do, or bacteria, for that mater. It's just a bunch of code kludged together that changes it's host cell, and moves on to the next.

So...what are the odds...?

Not looking for conspiracy theories, either..just asking honest questions.

But, on that note...know how many bedroom chemists are out there, though?

Or even, how BSE came about?

Sincerely,

G|M

3. WeddingConsultant profile image67
        WeddingConsultantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree that it is being over-covered in the news and could possibly be a propaganda piece. I'm still waiting for the powers that be to come out and say, "See? This is why we need socialized health care."

Of course, since the time of your post there has been an update to the stats: over 100 confirmed cases and one confirmed death.

But again, the confirmed death was a Mexican infant who was taken to a hospital in Texas for better care. That's not to say that an American child could also die from this flu strand, but really- all the fear and worry is 100% overdone.

2. GeneriqueMedia profile image59
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

I don't think the recession is going anywhere unless the people pulling the levers and pressing the buttons decide its going to end. But that only makes me look like a nut. wink

But hey, now's a great time to invest in Tamiflu.

How is that economy? But like Maddie said, people are getting swine flu. wink

G|M

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think I can feel a back-door moment coming on. A global one too.

And just for the record, I don't give a monkeys' if anyone thinks I'm nuts. I'm already certified. Or is that certifiable? Whatever. You just can't beat a good theory. They make the world go around.

Or is that love? I'm sure someone put me straight on this the other day ... Freddie Mercury anyone?

1. LondonGirl profile image82
        LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Depends. Are you writing this from Ward B, or home....?

GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I wish I was in Ward B, padded cells are soooo comfy.

And yes frogdropping, I'm with you on that one. Euro, NAFTA super highway, Amero...ahh, what isn't money if a keen way to bind us all together in one macroeconomy?

G|M

1. frogdropping profile image77
            frogdroppingposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm thinking we're on the same page G|M. You just gotta love them smokescreens smile

Wag the dog anyone?

And Londongirl, wardB and home - same place wink

3. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

Hard to know what to believe anymore. I don't think this recession will end anytime very soon whether people in the U.S. get the flu or get the measles or get rabies. What really hurt us was that zombie virus. Now I have to take a baseball bat and a shotgun to the grocery store...

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I believe I would leave the bat at home and just take the shotgun. It is more intimidating and more effective if needed.

4. Oxemity profile image60
    Oxemityposted 15 years ago

I'm not sure exactly how the economy is tied to medical discovery but I know that the team who came up with the anitibiotics to the swine flu (days after it was declared an epidemic) are gonna be making the bank!

GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We are living in a capitalist nation. There is nothing that goes on in our society that isn't tied to the economy. To best illustrate my point, I suggest maybe picking up a Wall Street Journal sometime. (Don't kill me, FOX haters) It's got a plethora of news articles...and it all ties them together into our economy.

Sincerely,
      G|M

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree and also suggest that to capture a more objective overview, to read local newspapers, Wall St Journal, and Canadian and British news. Sometimes I go online and read a French and then a Russian news site as well.

I'm with you there...the more views you gain, be it objective or not, helps you make a bigger picture. At times you may feel frustrated, or even..overwhelmed, but the more you do it the more you become better at it.

It's like building a muscle. smile

I don't tend to read articles written in other languages, though, because Babelfish tends to screw up stuff. Unless there's a better translator out there I'm not aware of..

G|M

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Really days? Then besides good, also the developers are either very efficient, or were holding back the anti-viral. Any details available? Thanks.   

PS - And I hope the 7 times I had measles made me immune to SOMETHING. lol

3. LondonGirl profile image82
      LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They will deserve it, not least because anti-biotics have absolutely no effect on a viral disease like the flu....

5. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

I think this swine flu thing is a set-up by pharamceutical companies to make money with a hysterical public, as their profits were dropping in the recession.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you heard?  There's a comment-spam epidemic, and the only cure is to pay Maddie extra money to be sure your hubs don't die a very painful death.

It's time for us to thaw out Robin Hood and is Merry band of Misfits. The world has now given birth to a new King John. wink

G|M

6. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Is that why hubpages staff ever answered my emails, because I never paid?

7. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

If it turns out to be a flu that is more serious than the "usual" flu (which is, of course, potentially deadly for about 30,000 people each year); I can see people stopping doing things like eating out, buying produce that's eaten without cooking, etc.  In other words, I can see a big set-back. I can also see schools and daycares closing, leaving parents unable to go to work.   

I, personally, have tuned out worries about mutated Bird Flu, EEE, and whatever other "scares" show up.   smile

At the same time, the 4 cases reported in Massachusetts, for example, involved two cases that turned out negative.  The two children who tested positive (after a trip to Mexico) are doing well and expected to be fine.  If we hear about enough cases like that, I think we'll all just lump Swine Flu in with all the other things "out there", just do our usual "thing", and hope we don't happen to get.  (As I write this, I have close to no voice at all; because after two years of never getting sick, something "got me" at the beginning of April.  As far as I'm concerned, all respiratory infections are pretty rotten, even if they don't have a notorious name.)  I may change my thinking next week, but for now I can't pay much attention to yet more "Sky is falling" talk.

EXACTLY!

I fear zombie revenge, the most. Oh, how I pity those who live in burbclaves with only one way in and one way out. You'll hate yourselves when you wake up to an  undead neighbour looking for a meal! wink

8. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

I agree with Maddie, its a distraction! How long will it last? that is a good question.

9. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

GM, there are 4 known medications that are used to fight this viral infection.

Swine flu is thought to be transmitted to human hosts who work with livestock--often, but not limited to--pigs, smile.  However, once transmitted to a human, it is then transmitted in the usual way--through mucous, saliva, etc.  The best defense is good hygiene and hand washing.  Swine flu is thought to be related to Spanish flu, which indeed was of epidemic proportions in America in 1918.  Which could be the reason for the big 'scare.'  Although I do believe it is just a propaganda ploy.

You ARE talking to a lot of educated people who do research (well, not all of us, but many, lol).  You do have to do that kind of research when you write, you know.

Fo'shizzle, Lita. However, I could have answered it myself, or asked the questions in a very clear way.

But if I did that, how would I ever get those who DON'T research to...you know, research? wink

There's generally a method to my madness.
      Except for the days that end in "why?" wink

Ahhh..double ententes.

G|M

2. LondonGirl profile image82
      LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ISTR that Spanish Flu was bird, not swine. Could be wrong.

1. profile image0

From my research, they are actually related.  One of the 'livestock' I didn't mention was poultry...  It's a strain of virus that is first transferred from other animals.

I hate misinformation, so I read a lot.  smile  And man, it is rampant--perfectly normal people associating the virus with trichinosis.

3. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Care to elaborate?

1. profile image0

Hold on, let me get....

The CDC recommends the use of Tamiflu (oseltamivir) or Relenza (zanamivir) for the treatment and/or prevention of infection with swine influenza viruses, however, the majority of people infected with the virus make a full recovery without requiring medical attention or antiviral drugs.

And how odd!  There were FOUR meds listed this morning when my coworker and I were researching the issue.  I suspect collusion, wink.  Actually--yes, I do...

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Thank you

11. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

On CNN right now:  News conference with Obama.  First the Swine Flu, THEN....  Budget and economic issues...  OMG, OMG--lets all worry about the pandemic flu.

Just a bad juxtaposition--"We're all sick and in this together.  We can get through it, folks, you know we can!!  The virus is our credit cards.  We have to approach this is a systematic, intelligent way."

Wow, bad metaphoric poetry.

(And I LIKE Obama.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)