Unless you are prepared to read someone's hubs, please do not follow.

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (50 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I am fairly new here, but what I've learned is that most people follow to get followers. (I was that person). What I discovered was that, if I follow you I am required to read your hubs when published.

My suggestion; don't follow to be followed. Follow because you genuinely are interested in the person's articles.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image61
      CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

that is quite right.

Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do notice that almost all newbies do the following:- Follow someone, then someone that person is following, then so on and on. They create a chain, but this does not help them as they have no idea of the person's latest activities or the kind of articles the person writes.

1. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I did intend to cull some followers & leave only those I was genuinely interested in reading.  I haven't had time to do that, nor read many other hubs lately. 
          I sometimes follow people because I like what they say in forums or I like their writing - it's sort of an encouragement thing.
          I never just follow someone back without checking them out first - there are some that have zero hubs & follow everyone

2. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks fel like poop now hmm:

I follow you and need to find more time to read, you are correct that what following is for the most part, it is also a gesture of support that you enjoy the work.  I so often read hubs and running around doing so, forget to comment

Girl you are a true follower hands down

Just had to say that

and thank you smile

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Those are exactly the recommendations of the staff at Hubpages.  Some people just stick to certain subjects when they write - I think I went too broad with the subjects that I write in.  But what I mean to say is that some people may only write about something that I'm not interested in - but they seem to enjoy the things that I write enough to comment my hubs - but were I to follow them, then I'd . . . .be leaving comments about things that I know nothing at all about.

Now, I do know that all the big earners here at HP have more followers than I do - and it should be obvious that having more followers is likely to get you more income; but I'm sure that that is only because they've shared your links.

I can't follow all of my followers - I'm more often busy being profound and scholarly for that.  _I'm profoundly arrogant and ridiculous as it is.  What would become of me were I to read hubs about things I know nothing about?  Hell, I might learn something - and that only feeds my sickness.

I was perfectly serious at the start of this, but somewhere, the real me showed up.

also it shows up to Mr Google that someone has spent more  than 2 seconds reading your hub and that therefore it must be ok- just cottoned on to that one-

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
          Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Case Worker - I know what you are talking about, but another person told me that the only stats like time spent on a page that are counted are those users of a browser (Chrome, I guess.  I dunno if Google get's Firefox or IE, etc, browsing stats) that checked the ""help make Google Chrome better by submitting usage data"

I could tell you a lot more about what I don't know than I could telling you what I do know.

4. danyadd profile image59
      danyaddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i've fallowed more people than i have followers, i don't think it really works. but i also only fallow after reading a hub i enjoyed.

2. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Too much social networking ideologies on the tip of the brain. They think that just because they have more followers then they are going to get more traffic to their hubs and most likely that those hubs will also be shared.

However, HP isn't a social networking site. It's a writers site.

3. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 12 years ago

I agree completely. I find it annoying when someone follows me and then never comments on my hubs. They’re obviously not interested in what I write, which is fine – but then they should never have followed me!

i have realised that i have been reading but never commenting- so now i am commenting, just to show that i have been reading peoples work and do appreciate it- formerly I was just voting up and reading

4. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Hah, I gain a follower then suddenly a couple of days later lose a follower. I think this is because I do not follow back automatically smile

1. Cagsil profile image72
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I lose followers and gain followers almost daily. Probably, because I don't play the game like they would like and/or HP deletes someone's account for some reason or another. smile

When i joined I did the same thing but after a couple of weeks I realized it made no sense. Now I have a few hubbers that are not doing anything at all, they just follow other people for fun. Should I be polite and wait until they fazed out or quit following them?

Follow people however you want to. I follow people based (a) personality and (b) interest.

If they are very active within the community and their personality suits the community, then I might feel the need to check out their profile. If I like their views, then I will follow them and most likely read what they write on occasion. However, I don't read much from HP anymore, because I am busy doing other things in other places.

I probably follow close to about 50 or so people, versus the 1000 that follow me. I am positive that the 1000 who follow me, follow me for their own reasons. I don't receive as many comments as I should with 1000 followers and that is not a surprise, considering why people follow other people. wink

Thanks for the advice!

You're welcome. smile

2. profile image0

I don't receive as many comments as I used to, but then again I don't leave as many comments as I used to.  I follow some people because I like them - perhaps for their opinions on the forums.  I don't try to read everybody anymore because I don't have time to

5. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

According to the help section:

"You should only follow people who you have a genuine interest in keeping up with. By following a Hubber you are saying that their activity on HubPages is noteworthy or interesting to you. Following excessively or indiscriminately may result in a low Hubber score.

But you're right, many people just follow at random. They forget that no matter how many followers you have, it's unlikely to bring you traffic from Google, where the paying clicks are.

As for who to follow, I've narrowed mine down to THREE groups.

-Those who I can learn from (top hubbers).
    -Those who I referred (to encourage them).
    -Those who interest me in other ways (such as Mark Ewbie or Shadesbreath.)

I think I only follow about 30 people.

6. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I don't know who I follow!

At the start I followed people whose hubs interested me, then I followed people who interested me, then somewhere down the line I got too busy with other things to remember to follow back, or to read that many hubs of those I was already following.

That daily email most often sits in my inbox, neglected. BUT, you know every few days I will look at them, and go off and read hubs. I don't always comment, because sometimes I just don't feel like it, simple as.

Everything nowadays seems to be about social networking - getting involved, saying something. But sometimes I have nothing to say.

So I rate up as suits and leave as quietly as I came.

But to those reading here now who follow me, and who I haven't followed back, sometimes I don't notice. Yes I notice the follow, and thanks, and mean to look at your stuff and follow back if you write decent hubs, but then something gets in the way and I forget.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That pretty much sums it up for me, too.  Life just gets too busy!

When I first joined HubPages, followers were called 'fans', which I thought was a better word.  To be someone's fan means to admire them, and mindlessly "fanning" back made no sense.  After all, you're a fan of Beyonce but you don't expect her to be your fan - but if you were Lady Gaga, you might expect mutual fanship.

I think HubPages changed it to follower to stay in fashion, so they only have themselves to blame if people treat it like social networking.

I think what happened is the they realized what was happening so they separated the 'fans' from the 'followers'. 

I suggest to all newcomers to read the help section extensively before participating in anything. This will save some disappointment in the future.

Not really, Cardisa.  They changed the name.  There are no fans now.

So when you send fan mail aren't you saying you are a fan?

What I'm saying is, there were no "followers" originally.  The word was "fan".  When you joined as a fan, you could leave fan mail but it was optional.

They changed the name "fan" to "follower" but I suppose they couldn't think of how to change the word fanmail.

7. privateye2500 profile image40
    privateye2500posted 12 years ago

How about supporter or groupie!?  :}

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

or 'Stalkers', LOL, e.g "Joe Bloggs is stalking you. Then, when you click on his profile you can 'stalk Joe Bloggs', possibly leave 'stalker mail' or 'harrass them' as other options.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Thanks Wrylilt!  Every now and then I get a little buzz, and to be mentioned in the same breath as Shadesbreath is one of those "I've arrived" moments.

I guess that less than 5% of my followers read any of my hubs, looking at traffic sources - the email ones.  Mostly they are new joiners who go on a following spree picking the 'top' hubbers. 

Sometimes copiers and scammers too. I never follow back. I do check them though, and occasionally flag their content. How's that for social networking interaction?

When I joined I picked a few top hubbers myself and have weeded slightly over the months.

For those I follow - I check the email, and often ignore - but sometimes click through.  A few people I always read, and sometimes comment.

If I follow now it comes from interaction through comments or forums, plus how much their hub output interests me.

I don't have a strong feeling anymore on the followers who aren't interested - there are more important things like trying to create decent content and trying to crack the web traffic thing.

And I do understand that for some, the following and belonging is as important as the writing.

Finally, sorry to go on, I do read some hubs - but mostly they come from looking through the Hot Hubs first ten pages.  What works, what's popular, and what is interesting.

9. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

Mark- surely you could write an indepth analysis of the whole situation with your usual flair and style?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What, you mean take that forum post and puff it out over another five hundred words - add on a picture that has nothing to do with the subject and publish in the wrong category with misleading tags.

Might be worth a go.

10. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

dont see why not- if anyone can pull it off you can!

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My penis poised.

edit: That should read pen is.

1. profile image0

lol glad you fixed that up

11. Karen Banes profile image71
    Karen Banesposted 12 years ago

Hubpages is definitely about the writing. If you like someone's work follow them, if you don't, don't. You can use HP for networking too but it's not Twitter. Experienced hubbers don't follow you because you followed them, They only follow you if they want to read your hubs. Solution: write great hubs to get lots of followers smile

If you're looking to expand your social networking, don't forget that many hubbers also hang out on the social networking sites. Check out hubbers profiles and you may find they put links to their Twitter/facebook/other profiles.

12. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 12 years ago

This may sound a bit crazy but...I'd like to be able to decline certain followers.The serial followers are easy to spot by looking at their hubtivity.Also,I think it's rude to follow a writer and Not leave a note introducing your self.

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not like they can actually do anything to you as a serial follower. In fact they're less likely to ever notice you again. So it's just another feather in your cap. smile

13. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Mark you're naughty but fun!

14. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I try to follow the writing of most of my followers and those i follow but it's difficult to do if the numbers are in the hundreds.
    and then again,I follow the old adage,
    "if you haven't got anyhting nice to say,don't say anything at all.: wink

15. divacratus profile image87
    divacratusposted 12 years ago

It has been found that the more followers you have, the more traffic you tend to get per hub. Says who? The HP team themselves! Check out the HP blog post - http://blog.hubpages.com/2011/05/followers-hub-traffic/

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Which means increased internal traffic. But hubbers don't usually click other people's adverts, so it's not paying traffic.

16. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 12 years ago

I generally only want to follow someone who I know has read my work. That requires a comment.  I don't have time to read everyone so I go with what I want to read, what catches my eye, and those hubbers who have great work (that's my opinion of someone who entertains or informs me).  I always leave a comment on a piece of work I liked and I will usually fan that person with the intent of seeing if they have anything else I may like in the future.  I have fanned people via the forums because I like their stance and comments.

17. wheelinallover profile image76
    wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

To Follow or not to follow that is the question. I only follow people who have articles I am interesting in reading. I certainly don't read everything a hubber writes.
    There is one I have come close with because the subject written about is of real interest to me. (photography) If someone follows me out of the blue I will go look at their profile.
    If I find something that interests I might follow if it is a subject they write more than one hub on.
    I have a few who I don't follow who I check up on from time to time. These people follow me for some reason, so I do look to see if they have written something I would be interested in reading.
    I have put comments on many hubs of people I don't follow. Just because one article someone has written interests me doesn't mean I have to follow.

18. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

I tend to follow all who follow me unless they are obvious spammers! I try to look at hubs by new followers but it is impossible to always do this due to time. There is no compulsion to have to read hubs by anyone. I used to get my email box full of alerts about hubbers that have published new hubs and it was too much so I disabled that option. Now if I fancy having a look at a hubber's latest hubs I go to their site here.
    As a musician and professional writer I do admit to playing the numbers game, frustrating as it can be, because it is what publishers, promoters and record labels look at. They are not interested in someone who has hardly any followers at a social networking or writers site. I also work with the fact that the more potentially interested readers you have the better. It is a basic of advertising and how people succeed. I'll give you an example: I am currently in a song contest at a website called YouBloom. In a recent heat, despite getting a lot of votes, I didn't make it to first, second or third place which qualifies you as a winner. I found out why the act in second place had a lot of votes - it was because they had a story in a newspaper so a lot of people knew about it. Another example: at Myspace some years ago Tila Tequila, who had a million friends, was released on the Myspace label. This wouldn't have happened if she had only a few friends.

19. GoingOnline profile image61
    GoingOnlineposted 12 years ago

I follow people whose hubs are of interest and read their hubs when I see the notification on my hubpages homepage. To be honest, clicking on the mail as I get it is often not practical. Most clients don't like me to be reading hubs in the middle of meetings. Which is a pity, because the hubs are often more useful wink

20. Spirit Whisperer profile image73
    Spirit Whispererposted 12 years ago

I only follow someone if I really like what they write. I mightn't like everything they write about but that is to be expected. There are great writers here in HP and it is always very satisfying to find someone you really like. Reading their hubs is not a chore and I look forward to receiving notifications of their latest hubs. Because of this policy I don't follow hundreds of people and only ever follow the number I can comfortably do justice to.
    I never follow just because someone follows me but will take the time to check out the work of anyone who does follow me.
    Because I only follow people whose work I like I find it easy to comment because it interests me and I might even use the comment box to ask further questions. I am in private practice and also have four children so I can't afford to waste time but rather I use it efficiently and only doing things I enjoy. This has always been my policy and it works for me.

It took me a couple of weeks to realize how things really work her on HP. If I had the know how earlier on I would not be following so many persons.

What I do now is read ll the hubs that I see in my inbox make comments only if I have something to say. I vote on every hub I read. Until I reduce my numbers I think I at least owe it to them to read their work.

1. Spirit Whisperer profile image73
        Spirit Whispererposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can unfollow people you no longer find interesting.

21. crochet48 profile image63
    crochet48posted 12 years ago

I have a few (literally!) favorite writers here. I follow them and I have a few, quite literally, following me.

I am slowly choosing the Hubs I want to write in and I plan to stick to those so I know my writing is high-quality and the information in my articles is reliable.

With that said, I do follow others -- interesting topics, hubs and well-written, even if I may not agree with what they say.

Question: posting article links to social networking sites or Posterous -- how effective is this to getting more people reading my articles?

Thanks!

22. profile image0
    Muldanianmanposted 12 years ago

I only follow hubbers who write about subjects that I am interested in, or that I think write well, even if the subject about which they write may have little interest to me.  There are some hubbers, who have over a thousand followers, yet have only one or two hubs.  When looking at their activity, it is obvious that it consists only of following others.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)