Were Neanderthals a practice species?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (157 posts)
  1. lizzieBoo profile image60
    lizzieBooposted 12 years ago

seriously though, 50,000 years and nothing to show for it. No great buildings, no books not even the wheel for crying out loud. Did they have souls like us, or were they just a prototype, a practice species? Just a thought.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No. At one time, they were the teachers, we the students. We outdid our teachers. Neanderthal burials have been found, (They buried their dead) with flowers, shells and bits of pretty stones. As for Cag having a soul. Yeah, him too. He can't prove he doesn't. NOW THATS TOO FUNNY!

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah, this statement coming from a mystic. Got to love it. lol

2. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this
        1. recommend1 profile image61
          recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Many animals mourn their dead - including elephants who will re-visit the bones of their lost family members.

The thing about Neanderthal is that they buried their dead and it is that this is accompanied by ritual which is a number one pointer for civilized societies.  This evidence comes from grave goods etc.

1. profile image0

well as civilised as living in a cave can be.  Even the biblical 'modern' humans were pretty primitive

lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What the Egyptians? or the Romans?

1. profile image0

the Egyptians were rather advanced for their time.
                Back to bible - the thinking of that time was to kill people for not being virgins & to send women out of the camp when menstruating - things like that

Yes, they were clever, but seriously unenlightened.

1. profile image0

the Egyptians?  They were alchemists

2. recommend1 profile image61

Civilised is nothing to do with living conditions, it is a condition of thinking advancement. 

The grave goods just indicate that the people felt general grief and responded to it with ritual, also the discovery of Neanderthal cave art is about their level of metaphysical thinking ability not the quality of the work.

Many modern people display regressive thinking characteristics that make them less civilised than stone age man and Neanderthal man - which is why some people claim we are becoming 'less pure' and in a degenerated state from the 'original' pure man.

I think that's very possible. Why do you think that might be?

2. profile image59
      tajiatalposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That would imply someone was practicing. Which of the mass delusions we call religion are we asking about?

You're right, God wouldn't need to practice.

1. profile image59
          tajiatalposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. If there were a supreme being capable of creating everything, who is omniscient and omnipotent, there would be no need for this question.

3. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Liz,
      weird you posted this as I just finished viewing an in depth documentary regarding 'Big Foot' where they have found three species of cryptid apes, that people believe are humanoid prototypes.

The largest clusters were in Tibet, China and modern day British Columbia. they even have reports, as far south as Indonesia. Mystically they have many names, commonly Yeti (or Japanese meti for Bear).

anyway, as for proof of humans being 50k --or in some circles 250k years old--- with no evidence, apart from the last 300 years of heavy industrialization, it is hard to believe the stories.

Granted, bones have been found of humans from various regions, climatic conditions, etc. I would think a species living in Tibet's snow region and Malaysia or Africa would have slight variations of body type and bone structure.

The carbon dating issue is the problem. Even still, I am with you: why would it take 50k or 250k years for humans to reach this industrialized point of existence? Humans seen to be the only creatures on earth with this ability and intellect. Else, the monkeys would have been ruling us long before we could say, iPad.

James.

james
        what a coincidence! 3000 miles away too.
        Thanks for the info. So the neanderthal may or may not have been an animal? Did you hear the story from the late Georgian period where a chimpanzee was arrested for treason, or some such thing, put on trial and hanged? We were at war with the French at the time and there was much paranoia about terrorists. Apparently they mistook the chimp for a French man, dressed in clothes as he was, and not able to speak English, probably from the circus. Poor thing didn't stand a chance.

You are right - and people from the northern England city who did this still have the nick-name of monkey-hangers even now !  big_smile

I didn't know that. Doesn't paint a good picture of them does it.

2. recommend1 profile image61

James is confusing the various extinct apes - that may or may not have been humanoid - with the well established evidence of Neanderthal man.  The distinctive characteristics of the remains of these people is very clear and the record show that they made homes, used tools and formed social groups that buried their dead - all the attributes of civilization.

Some people deny the existence of 'other' kinds of human as it poses problems for religious trains of thought, or lack of thinking, whichever side of that fence you are on.

3. profile image0

It is highly speculative. This creature resembles most mammalian types. But, there is nothing to prove they are humanoid. They migrated across the temporal land mass between Russian and Canada, (now reduced to just the Bering Straight) which explains their concentration in B.C. from Asia. From what they have gathered: (bones, prints, etc) it leans heavily toward this Tibetan Yeti.

Now, here is the very weird part. In the last 150 years, many claim they saw them, but what is odd, on a large scale no one has. I mean with advanced geothermal satellite technology, communications and social movement, there is really no where they could hide long enough, that more an one random person would encounter them.

Second, how -if they are Neanderthal or descendants of- did they survive, without evolving into a human of today --if not more advanced. Why didn't they die off? I mean science is claiming they existed in this supposed Ice Age, some 1 million years ago. That is a long, long, long time. Considering the average human lives a meager 80 years and each generation gets progressively  more intelligent, in less than 50 generations (4,000 years), these Neanderthals would have been "Einsteins". The time lines do not fit, nor does the evolutionary process.

But it is a cool story smile

James

2. profile image0

humans don't rule monkeys & other animals.

If you look at the baboons breaking into houses & cars to steal food in South Africa (and terrifying humans), I'd say the baboons have the upper hand.

4. aguasilver profile image69
      aguasilverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Derek Prince, who I have always respected greatly, held the theory (which he clearly marked as just that, a theory) that there possibly were an 'earlier version'of humanity, created by Lucifer/Satan or whatever one would wish to call him, maybe 'The Fallen Arch Angel' would suffice?

Anyhow the theory was that he (The Fallen Arch Angel)could create humanoids, but was unable to infill them with a spirit, hence they would be reactive and instinctive, rather than considered and inspired.

From that comes the reasoning that God created humans, and filled them with a spirit (albeit unenlivened until they reached a point where they could commune with God)which made the difference.

Just a thought....

John

1. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

By definition, that would be an "assertion" not a theory. smile

1. aguasilver profile image69

Yep, you are right... assertion, concept, idea, something he pondered without any serious intent that it may be truth, but nevertheless a possible actuality that could explain certain aspects of the history of humanity.

Not a chance, the laws of physics prohibits angels and spirits. A theory would require an observation and a completed experiment with results of those things.  smile

2. profile image0

99.5% similar DNA - seems like god liked satan's creation to plagarise it

Or that Satan was just not capable of doing EVERYTHING that God can, it's a common mistake folk make, thinking they can be equal to God.

You mean Satan can't create a rock he can't lift, or he can created it, but just can't lift it?

"equal to God"  lol

2. profile image0

yet, satan must have created something rather good if god decided to copy it - near identical DNA and all

1. earnestshub profile image81
              earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Apparently both mythical entities couldn't build a decent DNA if their life depended on it.
              Scientists are needing to repair great lumps of code that god and satan both got wrong it seems.
              Worse, it is claimed by some learned people that the DNA we have is happy to kill us in order to survive itself.
              Nasty little DNA! lol

Earnest, that must be the most nonsensical reply I have seen you make, one where you try to blame entities you deny exist for mistakes that only your worshipped scientists can correct.

Amazing convolutions of faith you need to twist through to maintain your eccentric secular stance.

BB, nice twist also, even if you deliberately got the pecking order wrong again.

God runs things whether you approve or not, and your petulant replies make not one jot of difference to that.

1. profile image0

petulant?  Hark who's talking.  I merely pointed out how silly Derek Prince's assertion is & I'm surprised you can't see it

2. earnestshub profile image81

This god thing only occupies your head space, not mine, you would do well to research DNA and keep your god where it belongs in your fantasy. smile

Whether God occupies your head space makes no difference to the fact that you occupy His space, with His Blessing and under His control.

Wow, you're tetchy today, all I was doing is passing through, and found my favourite secularists expounding, so made a comment, gotta go, got a life to live! smile

3. profile image0

pecking order on invisible mythical beings....hmmmm

I think it is more about  my myth is bigger than yours  na na ne na na big_smile

4. Beelzedad profile image59

That is correct Earnest, we better give our heads a shake as tens of thousands of children starve to death every day, because "God runs things whether you approve or not"

lol

Boring repetition of an already addressed subject.

2. profile image0

you had to have some of this nasty DNA destroyed by doctors, didn't you Earnest?

Yep! Some of it ran wild. smile

you know that a cabbage has more genes than a human. how crazy is that!!

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

A practice species? lol lol lol That's too funny! lol lol

As for having soul? You cannot prove YOU have one. lol lol

So what was it made them so different from us?

Conscious awareness...the level and the capacity of brain usage. Nothing more.

So they were a sort of practice species really. They weren't going anywhere so they faded away and a better species emerged. Slightly unscientific version, I know.

No they would not be. A practice species, means that they were created as an experiment and there is nothing to suggest that to be the case.
            They were not evolved enough, which is why they faded.

Is 150,000 years not a successful length of time to exist? Do you not think they simply faded because they were without purpose? I am being a little facetious when I talk about a practice species, but our success is due in large part, to our determination to continue for ever.

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They likely did not "fade away".  More likely our direct ancestors removed them, either by killing or starving them out.  Neanderthal could not compete.

They were an experiment in the same sense that every living species has been.  They exist until something better comes along. 

150,000 is not a very long time in evolutionary terms.  They were not very successful.

Successful? Subjective. It doesn't actually matter.
                No. Adaptability and mental capacity was their problem. wink

1. wilderness profile image95
                  wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interestingly, I've also read that they did not have the physical apparatus for speech.  They were not able to produce the fine nuances for real communication, and without that ability they are not likely to invent language at all.  Grunts, pointing, screams yes, but not complex communication.

I've also seen biologists that discount this idea and claim that they could.  Who knows?

Diet probably played a part as well; although Neanderthal apparently hunted their primary diet consisted of roots which is probably not a real good thing in an ice age.

Hey Wilderness....what you said is different than what I said? lol

Adaptability? Lack communication skills or ability to form complex communication, would qualify as being unable to adapt...no?

2. lizzieBoo profile image60

The language thing IS interesting yes. The very act of conversing and being understood is intensely formative. I also think that fear makes you stupid. If your predominant emotion is fear then it leaves little room for self-reflection and learning. These fellows lived in dangerous times and subsequently in fear and ignorance.
                    I rather like Eddie Izzard's sketch on the subject: "The Neanderthals lived for 150,000 years. So after 50,000 years they said um? another 50,000 and they said err? another 50,000 and oh? And that was it really"

2. profile image0

agree - calling them a 'practise species' means they were created as a 'stuff-up'

2. CMHypno profile image83
            CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When we Homo Sapiens have been around for as long as the Neanderthals survived, then maybe we can start dissing their survival skills - only about another 100,000 years before we start crowing!

2. Disturbia profile image60
        Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Alien genetic experimentation and DNA splicing.

3. Druid Dude profile image61

Not a heck of alot. Conscious awareness? It is indicated that they were consciously aware. They were compassionate, as indicated by neanderthal remains showing old, crippling injuries, which would have been fatal had the creature not had someone hunting for it. This wasn't an acception. This seems to have been regular practice. Tools to acheive specific, specialized objectives. They were inquisitive, intrepid explorers, and excellent hunters and gatherers. I think their conscious awareness isn't in question here.

4. thisisoli profile image72
        thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Try and build an engine by yourself, or tell me how to create plastic?

Lets go to the wheel example, how would you warp wood to a circular shape, how would you create spokes without a lathe? I know I couldn't do it.

in 150,000 years one of us might have had a bash.

I don't think so.  Without any pre-taught skill or information to go look up I doubt if you could get oil from a peanut, make simple soap, grow anything worth eating and how you would be able to run and catch an animal (let alone try and tame it) in that tight frock I have no idea !

But we did do it,  that's the point. Early man got stuck right in making this and that...clothes, shoes, fire, eating utensils and stuff. We've been utilising animals and wheels for thousands of years, for donkeys years even.

1. profile image0

I recently wrote a hub about the history of dyes.  Textiles haven't been around all that long - only 5000-odd years, I think.  I expect wheels & shoes wouldn't have been around much before then also.

3. DoubleScorpion profile image78
    DoubleScorpionposted 12 years ago

They had no need for buildings...They were nomadic..Followed the food sources...No books...but we do have some artwork...They were just like us...minus the technology...LOL.. there are people today that would fall apart if you took away their Cell phones and Laptops...

Sorry when I said 50, 000 I meant to say 150,000 years. Nothing to show for 150, 000 years! Ok some cave paintings.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
        DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cags is right...Humanoids were still developing during that time frame...They were simply still evolving...If humans have souls then, it would serve to say that all humans have souls...not just the Homo Saphiens of today...

Which begs a question...If man was created in "god's image" which human form is the correct one for that statement...?

The theological belief that we are made in God's image refers to our souls. Our souls are made in God's image. If the Neanderthals didn't have souls, it would explain why they had no spiritual yearning, which is after all, the driving force behind our creativity and ambition.

...that and reproduction of course.

Spiritual yearning is why we are creative and ambitious?

I thought is was more because we are easily bored and require stimuli to keep us entertained.

Not to mention we are now inherently lazy and looking for ways to make life easier. big_smile

That's a very cynical view of the species.

how so? I was just giving a different view as to why we are creative and ambitious.

Yes we are inherently lazy, among many other flaws, but surely our drive comes from a desire to improve, to expand to be better. Our spiritual yearning is notable by our egocentric view of the world: that part of ourselves which makes us who we are, call it what you will, has a desire to live on and be remembered even when we are gone.

2. Disturbia profile image60
        Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't dis the cave paintings, they are amazing works of art and they are  still here with us today.  Ancient peoples wrote their stories in stone.  Who will know our story when the books have all rotted and the power goes out?  We're not smart enough to carve it on the sides of our buildings.

I agree cave paintings are amazing. I think we've made some pretty nice stuff too.

3. Druid Dude profile image61

And a massive ice-age that wiped out all evidence that even our species existed before it except for a few bones. Our presence has been pushed back to 140,000 yrs. and we only started officially advancing in the last ten thousand, and that number is also starting to be pushed back.

Soul is the breath of life. I know it was new to Cag, but it's in Genesis.

New to me. WOW! What a joke! Just another mystics practicing mysticism to deceive others. You must be very proud of yourself.

However, don't worry, the dishonesty was made available to those who actually do choose to learn about mysticism. But, again, nice try to support it. Too bad, you're a few decades too late.

4. kerryg profile image84
        kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Humans didn't have anything to show for our first 150,000 years either. We only managed to invent agriculture about 10-12,000 years ago, and we've been around for nearly 200,000. Advanced societies didn't start showing up until about 6,000 years ago.

2. Bard of Ely profile image79
      Bard of Elyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What Double Scorpion says makes sense to me!

4. Hugh Williamson profile image77
    Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years ago

Neanderthals were well-adapted to the ice age but didn't fare so well in competition with what we consider more modern humans. Their brain case was comparable to ours (maybe even larger) but no one knows how their thought process actually worked.

Late in their existence they seem to be adopting the innovations of Cro Magnon, so maybe they were smart but not too creative. Who knows?

Their DNA is nearly the same as ours, but as for their having or not having a soul, that's a religious issue. I think most would say if we have one, they did too.

Good thread.

Thank you

It's true, we don't know because they weren't interested  in posterity. A life beyond their own was perhaps inconceivable.
      I suppose my interest is more religious than scientific. I would say that humans are defined by having souls which make us ambitious, covetous, aggressive, spiritual, inquisitive, selfish and changeable. It can't just be about intelligence. I've met men in whom the missing link is all too apparent. Kidding.
      But the definition of the soul is that it is self-knowing. Were they self-knowing, and if not, were they human?

5. Hugh Williamson profile image77

lizzieBoo wrote:

So they were a sort of practice species really.

If we last another 120,000 years, we will be able to say that we were as successful as the Neanderthals.

Maybe we're the practice species.

Now that's an interesting question! That's a very interesting question...maybe we're the practice species.

6. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

"it would explain why they had no spiritual yearning, which is after all, the driving force behind our creativity and ambition" How do you know that?

Well that's an opinion based on the fact that there isn't much evidence of them searching beyond the present for meanings in things. Perhaps this is an indication of extreme satisfaction will their lot; something us homo-saps don't experience a great deal and isn't to be sniffed at as such.

7. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

So, were the dinosaurs just a practice species for birds and lizards?

OK, so I know where the book of Genesis is and what it says. pretty durned mystical...woooooo. SPOOKY. Neanderthals, yes, fell from popularity when it was discovered, too late, that the radiator installed be Toyota wasn't efficient enough for the temperature rise leading to our age. I saw it in my crystal ball. Actually, I read it in science publications instead of making my answer up. Like Cag. I saw that in the stars! LOL

That's like saying that the Model T was a practice for the Maseratti. Besides...who was practicing?

Reading must be "mystical", but only a neanderthal would think so.

Yet, another meaningless post. And, a piss poor attempt at mocking or making fun of me. Not surprising in the least from a mystic.

Maybe.

8. Alice DeWonder profile image60
    Alice DeWonderposted 12 years ago

Just a suggestion: READ! Do your homework. 1st book on your list should be FORBIDDEN ARCHEOLOGY. In the words of A. Lincoln, "It is best to remain silent and appear ignorant than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Well thanks for that. Are we all to be forbidden from conversation until we know everything? Discussion takes me into places I wouldn't otherwise go. I am humble enough to accept that I have more curiosity than knowledge. This thread has been interesting for me.

9. Hugh Williamson profile image77

Question:

If someone living today in what is called a "primitive society" is removed to "civilization" they usually will readily adapt to the modern world and modern technology.

If a Neanderthal were moved through time to today, would they be able to likewise adapt? If so, they're mentally no different from modern man. Unfortunately, there's no way to know if they were really wired differently from us (in their thought process or lack thereof).

Were they mentally limited or just socially limited?

Look up Neanderthal burial practices. Look up Neanderthal inability to cool properly. Check out those cave art thingies that non-mystic mentioned above. Cag...everyone is right. You are HILARIOUS!

It's a good question. There is a dispute on this thread, however, what extent the neanderthals even existed. I'm intrigued.

1. maven101 profile image71
        maven101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

They not only existed, they merged with the cro-magnon, eventually disappearing as a separate race of humans...many humans still carry physical Neanderthal characteristics...Their genes are still alive and well in the 21st century...

1. profile image0

Present genetic data negates this and, unfortunately, the theories are too many to sort out. no proof exists that humans 'evolved' as most theories suggest. They may have had variable bone structures, depending on where they lived, what they ate and such. My biggest complaint is the time lines used. None of them are fully rational.

James.

10. Hugh Williamson profile image77

There is some evidence of Neanderthal art but it's crude and each piece seems to be a one-off. IAW there's no continuity to indicate that art was a normal thing for them.

I am aware of no record of Neanderthals doing cave painting. The examples that we have were done by early modern man.

I wasn't aware of them being signed. No matter. I just threw that in to see if a "non-mystical" claim would be accepted. I stand by my burials claim AND the tools thing. Cag said they weren't consciously aware. Conscious awareness can come on different levels. A fly is consciously aware of our presence, yet not consciously aware of it's own mortality. (or so we are told. Personally, I've never discussed it with them.

I like how you are open to anything being possible. The neanderthals existence is very obscure to us, but even if they did all sorts of clever things, why was there no signs of progress in all that time? Were they self aware like the homo sapien?

burial practices suggest very heavily so. Also, our kind co-existed w/ Neanders for some thousands of years, even in the same caves. The ice-age wipes away everything.

good point.

11. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Neanderthals were a very successful and widespread species that dissapeared along with sabre tooth tigers and mammoths at the same time that hunter-gatherer stone age man spread all around the world with his new weapons of mass destruction.  Most theories are that we out-thought them to become the dominant species, this might be a little self-congratulatory as it is just as possible that we, as the physically smaller and weaker species were just more aggressive and murderous, just as we are today.

Their dissapearance also coincides with the 10,000 year period when the ice age receded (in steps) allowing people to migrate to new areas, and we all know what man has done to the aboriginal peoples in memory, no reason to think anything different of our relatively recent ancestors.

1. profile image0

recommend1, could you provide us with proof of this, not theory, please. It is something of a hobby for me to learn impressive things like this.

There is no proof, to my knowledge, that 'Neanderthals' actually existed. Sure, there are various human types, from various locations, but my friend who is a geneticist at Columbia University can prove they never existed the way people believe they did, according to genetic recording, not carbon dating. The story of Neanderthals coincides with the Yeti story of migration. As said, Yeti (typical Neanderthal) is the Northern Caucus word for a snow ape.

James.

The existence of this human type is well documented in the archaelogical record, well researched in easily accessible places that you can Google.  The first discovery of their remains was in the Neander valley in Germany which gave the name.  Genetecists recently concluded that specifically Neanderthal DNA is also present in non-African humans today.  Like any exploration of remains and traces we are left with only theories, but the current theories generally hold up pretty well and I suspect your friend would have some exterior and unrelated motive for claiming they never existed.

1. profile image0

No, none what-so-ever. He is, as the saying goes, a 'die hard realist' and quite learned I might add. He does not accept theory as proof, but as possibility via speculation.

Possibility via speculation is theory - what is the issue with this ?

The best fit possibility with available evidence is the best we can ever do - and the best theory changes as more evidence is accumulated and tested against what we already know.

As the archaeological record clearly shows the existence in our past of the Neanderthal type - how does you realist friend dispute this ?

1. profile image0

Exactly, it is NOT proof, it is theory - all of it. Even with the Lovely Bones Archives is still just hypothetical. Just like the other side of the house, religion.

The notion that it took 245,000 years to learn how to make cities and tools is ridiculous. Especially since science claims humans have existed since the Ice Age --a million years ago. Gotta love all those big numbers. In less than 300 years, they thoroughly industrialize the planet, etc. Ludicrous!

As far as a verity of human species, just look at humans today. Men in Africa differ in body type and bone structure slightly to those living in Sweden; they differ from those in the dense rain forests of Brazil; they differ from those in the Highlands. In a mere 400 years of history, the human has changed dramatically.

As for cave drawings, why do people assume it was an Adult Neanderthal? My 2 1/2 year old, along with his preschool pals draw stuff like that all the time. A child with autism draw the entire NYC subway map -with colors- in less than 30 minutes, from memory. Talk about the coolest cave drawing ever!

Science, just more indoctrination.

James

It's true James. People often forget that science is theory not fact. It is closer to philosophy than maths really. Who we are and where we came from is still shrouded in mystery for us.
                It is unfathomable the depth of some peoples powers of creativity or deduction alive today , but to remind ourselves that equally great minds existed 5000 years ago is wild.
                As for cave paintings, I would be more likely to keep them than some of the paintings my kiddies bring home, but no they're not quite da Vinci.

1. profile image0

science is based on observable evidence and is updated with new evidence.  A scientific theory is not wishful thinking but is an explanation to fit lots of observable evidence & facts. 
                  I don't see how this is indoctrination nor philosophy.

12. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

To say they were a Practice Species implys that they were created for that purpose?????

are we talking evolution, ot God theory?

to me they seemed to be a developing species, a stepping stone for an evolving species. Learning and advancing, and passing on.

if it was a God or creator that was there then why would a God need to practice?

either way  Godhead, or Evolvement, we have a delima it seems.

You're right, God would not need to practice. I was being facetious for the sake of argument there, but in terms of evolution, there is no proven link between the neanderthal and homo-sap as yet. We may think we see the link eating in Macdonalds from time to time but we would be wrong.

13. Hugh Williamson profile image77

The Neanderthal genome was drafted 2 years ago in Germany. It has not been fully analyzed yet but a Dr. Church of Harvard says it's now possible to take a chimp egg, add bits of Neanderthal DNA to certain critical areas and incubate the Neander-human in a chimp. Wait 9 mos. and voila! Cave Baby.

That's very oversimplified but the details are here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/scien … mp;emc=rss

Were Neanderthals a practice species?

Maybe we'll ask them in person.

1. profile image0

A percentage of modern humans have neanderthal DNA
      http://news.discovery.com/human/neander … d-dna.html

Neanderthals had hyoid bone required for speech
      http://www.earthfacts.net/evolution/neanderthals/

1. Hugh Williamson profile image77
        Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

These are good references and both give great food for thought.

When I was in school, Neanderthals were considered ignorant brutes. When I got to College, that had changed and they were then considered a primitive type of human or hominid.

Now they have evolved into a probable human in most scientific circles and now, with their DNA mapped, I think we'll eventually find out what they were capable of.

The DNA will tell the story - which brain areas were well-developed, did they rely more on smell or hearing and a lot more.

As far as cloning one, I think we can be sure it'll never happen, at least not in the near run. Mastodons maybe but Neans, no way.

1. profile image0

I haven't read a lot about them.  The current view is they are an extinct human species?

1. Hugh Williamson profile image77
            Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Neanderthals are classified either as a subspecies of modern humans or as a separate human species, but modern anthropology seems to have no doubt that they were human. Of course, as we can tell by this thread, not everybody agrees. smile

1. profile image0

maybe as closely related as horses are to donkeys? They can interbreed too

They were most likely a parallel human species from a recently common human ancestor - there is evidence that non-African humans carry their genes.

They existed at the same time as stone age man and became extinct at the same time that humans became much more prolific and migrated to most of the places we are found today, including the American continent.

1. profile image0

donkeys & horses are a parallel equine species?

They are I believe, but Neanderthal and us were more similar I think.  BTW The reason the question of them being animal or human keeps coming up is that it is problematic for the religious types - in his own image etc., also were there two Adam and Eves etc.

if you breed a donkey and a horse you get a mule. mules are very strong but can't breed. a really curious thing I think.

OMG it's like The Isalnd of D Moreau!

14. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

"Necessity is the mother of invention"  is a fair statement in my opinion.  Neanderthals were not much different than cro-magnon other than slight body differences. 

They were in competition with the intrusive new human species and were therefore destroyed by the newcomers.  Perhaps it wasn't intentional but it happened just the same.

When the first Europeans stepped foot in the New World they also brought with them many diseases the Native Americans had no resistance to.  Measles, mumps, even the common cold had the effect of wiping out perhaps 80% of the indigenous natives.

The rest were considered savages and not worthy to compare with the immigrants coveting their lands.  Similar to the Africans imported to serve the "chosen ones" as slaves.  The earliest Spanish explores killed the Florida natives at will while stealing their corn supplies.  They even fed old women to the dogs for entertainment. God stepped foot in America! 

With our known documented history of such racism and prejudice against those who appear different from us, or who don't worship the correct deity, imagine how much worse primitive humans would have dealt with "those savages."  Especially with there being no laws to prohibit cro magnon man from killing Neanderthals at will.

Unless of course, one thinks our ancient ancestors were more ethical or non-prejudicial than we are today.  Good luck with that!  smile

I knew you were in to history, but this is a bit off the usual path and very interesting stuff to learn about as a "foreigner" smile Thanks Randy, nice post. smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Earnest!  Not many "Americans" learn about the abject cruelty and horror inflicted upon the Native Americans by the very first Spanish explorers. 

Landing around Tampa Bay, they proceeded to steal and murder their way along the gulf coast until all but 2 of them were either killed by the natives or by their own stupidity. 

The diseases they brought with them did most of the damage, perhaps it was "god's will."  Later explorations found many abandoned villages those diseases decimated.

Cabo De Vaca and a single black slave were the only survivors of that ill-fated expedition.  After being held as slaves by the "heathens"  themselves, they eventually made their way back to Mexico after many years to relate their almost unbelievable tale of survival.

God must have really disliked the native people.

Thanks for that, very similar to what the native Australians suffered. We almost wiped out our aboriginal people, then stole their children from them.

That is very interesting, and true. My, this whole thread is starting to remind me of Gullivers Travels.

15. profile image0
    Muldanianmanposted 12 years ago

Modern man lived alongside Neanderthals for some time. Neanderthals were not the primitive big brow creatures that they have been painted.  They were as advanced, with religion and some kind of society.  The traditional image that we have of them was the creation of atists who tried to imagine how a so-called primitive man could look.  History is always written by those who have replaced older native races.  Native Americans were once portrayed as primitive, as were Africans by European colonialists.

I seem to remember that the cave painting attributed to Neanderthal is more 'primitive' than the corresponding art from Homo sapiens and the general picture is of homo sapiens rapidly developing faster than the Neanderthal.

However, the point about how they were literally 'painted' is valid, old drawn pictures of native American indians, Australian aborigenes and other 'tribespeople' almost always show them with a forehead sloping deeply backward - not apparent in the early photographs and so almost certainly a projection of the artist's perceived racial mental superiority ?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)