Religion and Science

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image54
    seatle67posted 12 years ago

Why are this two always incompatible on each other? And why they dont correlated on each other? For what reason.

1. profile image51
      ibneahmadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Relgion and Science are both good for the human beings. I don't see any contradiction in both of them if seen in true perspective and if understood correctly and truthfully.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Science tries to understand and be compatible with religion and religion tries to do the same with science.

The problems arise because god works in mysterious ways and isn't compatible with either one.

1. profile image51

I don't get you; please elaborate.

1. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's OK, you may be a religionist.

The sense of humour gene gets removed by the invisible one. smile

Heard any funny Imam mahdi jokes lately? smile

You would if you were a peaceful Ahmadi Muslim with no compulsion.

2. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Seatle67, they are not incompatible. In fact, they are complimentary.

If you speak of the religion of Crusades, Inquisitions, and sadistic proselytizing, then I'd have to agree that these are not compatible with science, any more than the self-indulgent ridicule form of skepticism of some scientists is "compatible" with science. Both are full of ego and are toxic. Both of these abominations are incompatible with science and the true spirit of religion.

The religion of Moses parting the sea, of Gautama Siddhartha reaching Buddha-hood, and Peter walking on the Sea of Galilee, even if only for a moment, these are expressions of truth. Understanding them and approaching them is what true religion is all about.

Science is also about understanding and approaching some form of truth.

The key difference between science and religion has to do with their realms of operation.

Science deals with the realm of continuity (space, time, energy and matter). That continuity leads to predictability. Without that predictability, science wouldn't work.

Religion (or better, "spirituality") deals with the realm of discontinuity -- things like forgiveness, creation, inspiration, epiphanies, and the like. It also deals with the quest for re-awakening the spiritual immortal within each of us.

Many of the techniques used in science (logic, reason, and perhaps even mathematics) can be used in the study of spiritual things. I have done this in my research, including an analysis of the anatomy of a miracle.

The problem with science is that it has adopted the wrong paradigm for contributing directly to paranormal, spiritual or creational studies. This paradigm is "skepticism" which, contrary to the tenets of scientific method, include a rather potent bias -- "doubt." Science could survive quite well without this, if it only adopted a new paradigm, say one of "restraint" or "humility." These would serve just as well in keeping the scientist from jumping to the easiest conclusions.

Perhaps the biggest barrier in both religion and science is that of ego. This is likely the source of all evil and has maimed religion and frequently distorted science.

Do scientists fudge their data? All too often, according to one report I read. The fact that some scientists were condemning vehemently the study of NASA scientists about arsenic-loving microbes show the ugly side of skepticism. There's no need for this egotism. And perhaps a bigger example of ego run amok comes in North American anthropology and the "Clovis first" dogma. Some scientists were afraid to dig below the Clovis horizon for fear of what they'd find there that could ruin their careers. That type of dark age mentality does a disservice to science and humanity.

Humans are basically good. Egos are basically bad. Do the math. Humans without egos are pretty nice folks. In this kind of climate, religion and science working together can do some wonderful things. Galileo did pretty good, until he and the church let ego get in the way. Isaac Newton did pretty good, even coming up with his own biblical timeline.

3. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Faith and facts. Faith doesn't need facts. Facts do not necessarily allow faith.

4. Paul Wingert profile image59
    Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

Religion is based on faith and myth. Science based on facts and evidence. Compairing the two is like mixing apples and oranges.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!

How would one consider comparing a 2,000 year old myth to the results of peer reviewed cross-reverenced scientific theory?

One must be refutable to even get up, the other claims to be irrefutable.
      One has evidence for it's belief that are as tangible as the text appearing on my screen, medical break-throughs, real hard evidence in the treatment of cancers, the list is near endless.

The other is a fear based controlling myth designed to keep the great unwashed of the time under the control of "the word" from a few sexist goat herders. smile

5. profile image54
    seatle67posted 12 years ago

hmp. ok guys tnx for your ans.. now its clear.. TY

6. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

Actually, there have been scholars and philosophers over the centuries that reconciled the two quite nicely. The danger comes when personal views on both sides are too narrow to allow other opinions.  Neither the religious or the scientific is constrictive by nature, in fact those who are remarkably spiritual or remarkably logical are often the greatest free thinkers.  Narrow-mindedness comes only when you assume that your answer is the only one.

7. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

You can be religious and not a scientist, religious and a scientist, atheist and a scientist or atheist and not a scientist.  I personally know many people in all for categories.  This any "incompatibility" can't be all that limiting to human freedom and self-determination.

1. profile image51

I agree with you; there is no contradiction in science and religion; it is the misunderstanding of religion or science that creates it eitherway.

8. profile image53
    whiteskylineposted 12 years ago

Read quantum physics, they pretty much can't explain what they see without saying something about a God or creative intelligence

1. Evolution Guy profile image59
      Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lies.

Did some searches and found the only ones saying that were believers who didn't have a clue about quantum physics.

1. profile image53
        whiteskylineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah? I have heard that they just can't explain matter at the smallest levels in the realms of science

1. profile image53

I have personally read and heard authoritative quantum physicists say, I have no other way to explain what we see going on here, other than something like an intelligence governing it all, or a God, but they just about say, there is definitely something

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

Never saw anything like that. Where?

1. profile image53

I honetly can't remember, but I have heard more than one physicist say that, either in books, movies or generally interesting videos I have watched.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

A "B" rated sci-fi movie?

2. psycheskinner profile image82
            psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

[citation required]

3. wilderness profile image96
            wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You know, there is a whole world of difference between saying "I don't know" and saying "I don't know, therefore my ignorance is proof of God".

The first comes from scientists that are trying to understand the world - the second comes from the religious that have no concept of how science and evidence work hand in hand.  No scientist worth anything at all would ever make the second statement; that is reserved for the religious method of "proving" something.

Typical statements might be "I don't understand how the universe could come from nothing and therefore God made it" or "I don't understand how something as complex as an eyeball could evolve naturally and therefore God did it".  Neither provides facts or evidence (outside of the speakers admitted ignorance) and both are logical fallacies, but both are commonly presented on a daily basis.  Just not by scientists.

3. recommend1 profile image59
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a straight faced lie - quantum physicists say nothing of the kind anywhere.

There are a group of kwontum fizzisists wot write long words they don't unnerstand, they are not hte same thing at all.

9. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

You seem to think you know exactly what and how a million or so people, from all over the world, are going to say or speak.  Very exacting, your statements are....

Interesting perspective you have of yourself.

10. profile image51
    ibneahmadposted 12 years ago

Science only confirms the priciples already existing and working in the Universe; they don't produce any new laws that didn't exist already and which the Universe has to follow now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)