Could religions merely be a precursor to modern science?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Say Yes To Life profile image81
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 3 years ago

Could religions merely be a precursor to modern science?

I've noticed a lot of people here have become atheists / agnostics by STUDYING the Bible.  It seems they got that way by knowing too much about Christianity. I've been looking into other world religions; they all attempt to explain how the world works, and how to best live in it.

Could it be that all religions are merely precursors to modern scientific discoveries? Some beliefs have proven true, others false. Maybe eventually we'll all become atheists, except for those who cling to old beliefs because of fear of the unknown?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11962121_f260.jpg

2. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 3 years ago

We seem to have a lot of disagreement simply because people have different interpretations of the same words - even the simplest of words.  I ask you to think of a dog; you might think of a German Sheperp, me of a Collie and someone else a tiny poodle.   How much more so, then, the interpretation of words such as athiest and agnostic.   To me an athiest might be - or the word represent - a person who does not believe that there is an old guy with a beard up there taking stock of everything we do.  Then again, an athiest might be one who does not believe there is a personality-diety or even a 'force be with you' type of intellignece with any care for human kind.   That is, Nature's Laws are impersonal; all is chaos and no one created anything.

An agnostic is one who has 'a bet each way'; maybe, maybe not.  In other words an open mind.   Good for the open-minded ones.   I think it would be fair to say that a great many athiests take little or no interest in religion.

Believers?   Well, what is a believer?  I interpret that to be an idea or ideal held in the mind and repeated so often that it goes into our unconsicous and becomes solidified.  But it is still an idea, not necessarily a fact.  It quite often brings to an end our sense of enquiry but not necessarily in a good way.   So many then spend a lot of time telling everyone else they've found the truth.

Today, however, the gap which opened up and split religion and science into two is once again merging it seems.  This has come about largely, I think, because of the studies being made of our minds; psychology mainly, starting to overlap with the earlier findings of the mystics, yogis, and metaphysical 'self-seekers.'    We are starting to realize that we are ALL and EVERYTHING is a creation created by god and we are a part of God - or whatever you want to call Her/HIm/It and are thereby godlike ourselves.   A currently emerging theme is that we create our own reality.

Could religion be the precursor of modern science?  I think it already is.

Say Yes To Lifeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point. I will add that some religions are atheist. Confucianism is. So is Jainism in a way, even though they believe in gods; they simply do not worship them.

3. Maria Antonia profile image61
    Maria Antoniaposted 3 years ago

Wow, what a great question.  I'm on a spiritual journey of my own.  I'm dissolusioned with the religion of my youth and part of the reason is that I can't reconcile religion and science.  The other aspect has to do with the hypocrisy of so much hate, power seeking, and greed within the church.  I haven't lost my faith in a God, but I am looking for a way to worship that feels true and authentic for me.  Thanks for making us think.

You're welcome. In my case, the SDA church is a lot like Jews, and they're focused on healthy living. Science has proven much of it true. Where it has proven false, we're expected to stick to the religion anyway. That makes no sense to me.

4. ThompsonPen profile image79
    ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago

Religion technically is the original science, though ancient as it may be. They're hypotheses as to why things are. The theory was that the world was created, and they used the knowledge they had to guess what created it - obviously something bigger than themselves, so it must be a super being. However, as time went on, science began to develope, and the two separated. The Bible and myths and legends are all why-so stories now, instead of hypothetical theories. Just like Astrology used to be considered a science, it became separate of Astronomy, which is now the science of stars. But I think you're definitely right, though it's more of a past tense, instead of a recent development smile

When my brother brought me here to Hawaii, I went to a Hawaiian culture presentation on Mauna Kea. The kumu was telling about Madames Pele and Poli'ahu riding their sleds to make trenches there. It sounded like stories from the Bible.

5. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 3 years ago

Belief in God is not necessarily based on a fear of the unknown. It would be nice if the world were that simplistic, but it's not.

No, religion is not a precursor to modern science. Certainly there is some overlap -- a desire to understand the universe and to find better ways to live our lives, but science can never reach what religion has hinted at.

The wild card in all this is Ego. This is not the western psychological definition of ego, but the Buddhist, Kabbalist and Christian view. Ego is the source of all evil. It is self-concern, separateness and selfishness. Ego has corrupted every institution of civilization. Ego is the big barrier we all face. Ego has corrupted religion, yes, but also science. You only need to look at the ridicule scientists dished out to their peers during the dark days of the "Clovis First" dogma. One scientist in Texas said that he would never accept the outrageously early dates for the Valsequillo artifacts no matter what the evidence. Really! A scientist who clings to his own Ego more than evidence.

Science can only study the laws of physical reality -- the Newtonian, action-reaction elements of created things. But spirituality studies the sources of creation -- something science can never touch.

Most of the religious have never experienced true spirituality. Their strong belief is not Faith. Faith is perfect and transcendent. Faith is a source of creation -- superior to science.

Yes, some people cling to religion to help them keep fear at bay. But that's not the purpose behind the religion. Most religion is a corruption of the original spirituality. And perhaps the only true religion is Love. This is not the physical love that so many humans cling to, but altruistic, spiritual love which has no spot of self-concern to corrupt it.

1. Tusitala Tom profile image66
      Tusitala Tomposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Excellent Lone77Star - you're right on

2. Say Yes To Life profile image81

Wow - another excellent point. Science merely explains how the world works, but Love is what makes everything worthwhile. There's nothing wrong with Ego, as long as Love keeps it in check. We need to care for ourselves in order to care for others.

3. Maria Antonia profile image61
      Maria Antoniaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well said Lonestar, the type of spirituality that I am on a quest to find is what you've discussed here.  The issues that I am wresting with precisely has to do with the amount of ego that is involved in modern day religion.

6. cjhunsinger profile image73
    cjhunsingerposted 3 years ago

Say Yes
    Religion was the first science. It was, perhaps, the first attempt by an evolving intelligence to answer his own questions of, what am I, who am I, where am I and why am I.
    Religious belief, whether one can call it ancestor worship, animal worship, worship of natural events or inanimate objects or the evolution of the abstract deities, as we have now have, were attempts to answer these questions.
    The first evidence of such beliefs or appeals date to around 130,000 years ago and the Upper Paleolithic period. For the modern theist though, no such evidence exists. It would seem that religion has gone from a point of questioning existence to the point of denying the answers.

1. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I hope we are experiencing a fundamental change in the way that religion is viewed. Religion is closely tied to science, politics, philosophy and art among other things. A "supreme" being just doesn't answer our questions well enough.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image81

I doubt we're denying all the answers. After all, science is still discovering what's true about various religions.

3. cjhunsinger profile image73
      cjhunsingerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Austin--We agree, but the  question remains, what does answer our questions?  Perhaps, it is us once again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)