Do you believe in god?

Jump to Last Post 1-46 of 46 discussions (196 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jomineposted 12 years ago

Do you believe[belief:to have confidence or faith in the truth of (a positive assertion, story, etc.); give credence to.] in god or do you believe in the authorities(parents, priests....) who say god exist?
    As far as I'm aware nobody has seen or heard from god.(If you really think you have, its time for you to see a psychiatrist). All the "god experiences" are due to taught behavior and bias.(When a child escapes from an accident he never says god helped, but later learn it from its parents)
    So how can anybody say "I believe in god"?
    Aren't they really saying "I believe in my parents/ priests/ leaders"?

1. Freegoldman profile image39
      Freegoldmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dont beleive in God bt i beleive in spirits

1. profile image0
        jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The question remains the same. Have you seen and talked with spirits to believe in them or do you believe those people who say spirit exists?

2. bornblond8dg profile image59
        bornblond8dgposted 12 years agoin reply to this

God is spirit,  who came to earth in the body of Jesus Christ and gave himself for us so that when we die if we ask him into our hearts and for forgiveness of our sins we will live again with him in heaven...God Bless!

2. OutWest profile image56
      OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We have many senses to know God is there.  And when a person encounters a situation that they feel God helped them through it is all the proof they need.  It can be where the person makes the decision or feels that He is there and not be an idea planted in their head from someone else.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are these senses science has yet to discover? Are you the only one who knows about them?

1. OutWest profile image56

They are called feelings.  And we all have them.

Our feelings are not senses. Start with Biology 101 for further information on the human anatomy.

I'm guessing that love doesn't exist for you either.

Sure it exists, what does that have to do with you stating that emotions are senses?

I'm pointing out that with our senses we develope a feeling.

Okay, but feelings are still not senses, they don't have the necessary tools to function like senses. Simple anatomy.

3. profile image56
      Smokingwheelsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

""As far as I'm aware nobody has seen or heard from god.(If you really think you have, its time for you to see a psychiatrist)""

I did but I left that part out when I did not see my refection in the water.
      However I did look more than once.
      Well look on the bright side, no cooking, no cleaning for 30 days.....save money as well free food....

4. profile image0
      vineyardfauxcomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WOW  you are way of ,the word of God says that man is a fool if he says there is no God ,I know Him and walk with Him ,He is very real and is there for those who seek deep within the the heart for the heart is His throne,How I met Him I called on God when I lost total control of my Ford F15 that when it was all over was broken into 2 pieces ,my hair was down to the middle of my back in those days when I pulled myself back up onto my bench seat I looked into the mirror and my hair was standing out end to end in an orb,no outer body exp,just an orb I chuckled and it dropped my words were WTF thats how I met Him that was over 28 years ago ,and yes He does speak to His children even in todays time if we would just listen,some would say that its all a bunch of Bs but there opinion doesn't matter Hes awesome and is still seated in heaven .your decieved and this as well can be dealt with for I to was once decieved ,I pray Gods Holy Spirit gets a hold of you in your night dreams and may He call your name for He created you .And new you before you entered your mothers womb.good luck on you quest.

2. lea86 profile image59
    lea86posted 12 years ago

Are you created by non existing sources, or the evidence abstract truth/an energy of truth?You were blinded because you are the non believer. An understanding of God lead by faith not by sight, and your understanding is based on science and zero spiritual insight. Non believer need a psychiatrist but believer is based on faith, do you know about faith?Believer believe in God because they have the heart to feel it, and you believe that when people die,there is nothing but darkness.

1. profile image0

What is this rant all about?

What is the meaning of this?

If you see or hear things which are not there, its called delusion and most commonly associated with psychotic disorders.

Excuse me, did you hear what he/she/it said, to believe that?

2. princess g profile image60
      princess gposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And who created your God? A non existing source? Oh, I forget, HE created HImself. Because that makes more sense.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, god made himself, then became his own son then killed himself.
        Apparently because he was very dissatisfied with every thing he made, so he destroyed all but eight humans. He even wiped out all the birds! I dunno, maybe they were all as bad as our parrot. lol

3. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

No

1. profile image0

smile
      To whom, is this 'no' directed to earnest?
      If god exist, he should exist by definition, and has nothing to do with our belief, or absence of it.
      We can believe only what is told(or an event occurred), so I'm curious what this believers mean when they say "I believe in god", is it meaningless ramble?

It is a direct reply to your OP jomine.

No, there is no god, only the psychotic ramblings of the religiously infirm. smile

1. profile image0

My only question is, when they say they believe in god, aren't they actually saying they believe in their parents/leaders/priests/ancient people whom they have no idea about or their books?

That sums it up pretty well I reckon. smile

First comes indoctrination, then the belief in the book.

2. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Only in your mind.  By trivializing what others believe you put yourself into a position of superiority.  How is your philosophy different from those that claim to be theists?

1. profile image0

May I ask, how is that so?
              I'm merely asking what does it mean to say "believe". Existence is not believed, its a fact, you believe in an event or what people said. (when i say i believe my father what I'm actually saying is I believe what my father said, so to believe in god I've to hear what he said, but nobody heard anything from god yet). I'm neither a theist nor atheist.

1. profile image0

I, too, do not lay claim to either title. But, you are asking that others process the information offered by the reality we exist within in the exact same manner as you have.  You are, in essense, displaying the qualities of theism minus the god. Yours is the religion of your own mind, in search of followers.

1. profile image0

I agree with Emile on her statement is head on.,I look at this nation before 1962 ,and after 1962 I long for the time before I was even born lol .

2. profile image53
                ibneahmadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Creator God has conversed with people in all regions and all times; such people are called messengers prophets.

1. profile image0

There are so many patients in the psychiatric wards who claim that.

1. profile image53
                    ibneahmadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The messengers prophets were normal persons; and very successful practical people; in fact a model of normalcy.

2. earnestshub profile image81

No, they are called patients by the medical profession. smile

1. Merlin Fraser profile image60
                    Merlin Fraserposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And Nutters by the rest of us....!

3. PastorTorch profile image60
                PastorTorchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To believe in a thing is more than to agree with someone.  It is more than a mental assent to understand or visualize a thing.  Belief is that, but it also require an act, based upon the faith.  Men have not seen God, it's true.  But neith have any of seen an electron.  Science tells us that they exist, but no one has ever seen one.  So when I walk over to the light switch and flip it on expecting electrons to flow through hidden wires and heat up a filiment in a bulb so that it produces light... that would be an act of pure faith if I had never seen it work.  If I was just told about it, and acted in accordence, believing I'd been told the truth.  If I flipped the switch and nothing happened, then I'd know I'd been lied too.  If I flip the switch and light shines, faith becomes fact and my experience has taught me a truth.  So it is with God.  If it does not work like you've been told, were you lied too or just misunderstood what was said?

1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image61
                  Jo_Goldsmith11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pastor Torch! You have said it beautifully and Perfectly! This is how a person "believes" in God or in anything...Take care!

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

LOL! Yes, we've seen electrons and no, flipping a light switch is not an act of faith if you know the power is not out.

That has to be one of the lamest reasons to believe in God.

We certainly know when we've been lied to. lol

Maybe it is Troubled Man because the physics involved in the atom and the flow of the electron are so complex no one truly knows how it works.  To imagine that everything is composed of this tiny invisible atom just shows how much unseen and really unknown there is in our universe.  But maybe some being knows it all...God of course.  This is to me some of the strongest evidence to believe in God.  It is so caluclated and complex it seems impossible for it to have just happened all by itself.

2. Merlin Fraser profile image60

Aren't these questions getting a bit old Now ?

I think if this were a court of law someone would be shouting " OBJECTION !  The question has been asked and answered."   

If you Believe: For God's sake give the rest of us a Rest with these constant feeble attempts to keep this tired old subject on the Forum List.

If like Earnest and I you don't belive, I can't speak for him but I am certainly tired of repeating myself every time someone else sees the God Squad subjects drop off the radar and ask the same old stupid question just to have it reappear.

I suppose we could just ignore them in the hope that you will go away when you find you talking to yourself.

Bravo! That needed to be said. smile

2. profile image0

Which begs the question of why do you do it? Asked and answered in your mind certainly doesn't mean that the difinitive answer has been offered, other than the answer that is difinitive to you.

Emile,

You may have to look at some of my Hubs to answer your questions, there I state quite clearly where God(s) came from, who created them and why. 

I also give a fairly reasoned argument about where organised religion comes into the equation why it was created by man and when.

As you say you haven't been around here very long so you may not have seen what many others have seen about the Forum being assaulted and taken over by certain factions with an axe to grind or a brow to beat.

Why do I do it or bother ?  Beats the Hell out of me... Maybe if I didn't I might give the illusion that they have won !

1. profile image0

Your hubs will give your viewpoint on the question. It is important to remember that it is simply your viewpoint. I've written a hub too, but it is simply my thoughts on the subject.

Sharing an opinion is one thing. Touting it as truth is no different from the theists. At which juncture I must tell you the same thing. Prove it. Otherwise, it's ego that drives the argument that it is  of greater import than any other opinion.

The Hubs I'm talking about are not merely a view point, certainly not mine, they are written after a lot of research into what may be referred to as Pre History, certainly a period in time that predates any form of organised religion.

When you look at the origins of mankind back to a period when they were little more than just another animal life form on the planet, when you research the origins of fear and superstition about the unknown and to them the unknowable you will come to realise who created the spirit Gods and why.

Of course to see any of that you have to be mentally capable of looking far beyond all the clouded issues raised and created by the Biblical stories.   If you believe the Bible is the Holy word of a God that this being created the heavens and the Earth in six days, and all human life comes from just two creatures then there is little area for further discussion.

Proof there is proof enough for any who chose to look and it has been presented here on more occasions than I can count, and not just by me. 

But all that aside, it doesn’t matter which way we look at anything upon which we still do not have all the answers, some will automatically put God in the gap and be happy with that.  However, it seems that the answers look just as neat when you leave God out of the equation.   

We know it troubled Darwin when he realised Evolution didn’t require a God just as I’m sure it probably worried Stephen Hawking when he worked out that the shape and creation of the Universe didn’t need one either.

My views and opinions only ?   Hardly !

1. profile image0

The conclusions are your ego talking. We all have access to the same information in this reality. The question of god has been at the forefront of man's collective mind since the beginning. How we process the information and answer this question is unique to the individual simply because the final answer remains unknown.

Would not expecting all to come to the same conclusions be a herd mentality?  Or is it ego? I see no other options.

3. profile image0

Merlin
            I don't give a damn about whether anybody believe in god or not.
            My question is What is "believe"?

No, your OP clearly states "Do you believe in god"

1. profile image0

You forgot to read the rest! And, I think, only those who say "I believe" will be able to say what they mean by that.

2. Merlin Fraser profile image60

If you actually mean 'Belief'  then my comment 'Asked and Answered Stands.

The point being made is that If you were really interested all you need to do is search through the Forum subjects and review the thousands of answers aleady printed there without asking the same unoriginal questions again !

1. profile image0

"To believe in".
                Existence is a fact. Its irrational to say you believe god exists. You can believe god said this or did that.
                Simply put why believers believe in others authority, while some people on their own?
                What make people trust unknown people's judgement, while ignoring their own?

2. profile image0

(I am A Believer,) Iam a deciple of Jesus Christ,I am a believer,I am a part of the fellowship of the unashamed.The die has been cast,Ihave stepped over the line.The decision has been made,Iam bold with belief.Iwont look back,let up,slow down,back away,or be still,I'm not just a dreamer of dreams,but a doer of deeds.Iknow love by patience,lift by prayer,and labor with power.Mypace is set,my goal is heaven,my guide reliable,my mission is clear.I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,or​ delayed.I will die and live for the Savior of my soul.I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice.Hesitate in the presence of adversity.Negotiate atthe tableof the enemy.Ponder at the pool of popularity.Or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I'm going to believe what I live and live what I believe.I won't give up,let up,or shut up,until I'mpreachedup,prayed up and paid up,stored up and stayed up.For I believein Christ and I will become what I believe.and when he comes to get His own,He will have no problem recognizing me formy colors will be clear. I am a deciple of Jesus Christ,Iam a believer the Warriors Creed.

By: Tony Brown

4. earnestshub profile image81

Well Paara, your book is a copy of the copy. smile

I have to agree with you about the bible though, it is a pile of recycled trash from earlier trash. smile

5. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Jomine, a beautifully thought-provoking question (not just the title of this forum).

My mother's father was a Southern Baptist minister. I don't think I ever belonged to that church, even though I went dozens of times.

My father was a student of Eastern mysticism and religion, plus a student of the Bible. He was searching for a higher truth, rather than warmed-over dogma. Whenever he'd read out loud to my mother the stories of reincarnation or miracles, my brothers and I would sneak into the living room to listen, pretending to play with our toys.

My father went on to study Scientology. My mother joined him. And later, my brothers and I joined, also. I got a lot out of it. In fact, I found proof of my own spirituality. Not only remembering dozens of prior lives, and benefiting from the spiritual release, but once also found myself outside my Homo sapiens body with the ability to see clearly all of my surroundings. Having never been 15 feet in the air just outside the second story window, it is less likely that this was an hallucination or imagination. The fact that I could not feel my body in any way also seems to support the OBE (out-of-body experience). But unlike the OBE's and NDE's of others, this incident involved no drugs, trauma or surgery.

A few years later, I found that I could cause things to happen merely by thinking them. I merely found the mechanics of creation, but anyone can do it. It requires utter humility, responsibility, and perfect confidence. This is not an easy state of mind to attain, but with practice, it became easier on some vectors of intent. I'm still trapped by what I'm "comfortable" doing or having. Some things still "feel" impossible, so they remain that way. Handling those feelings is the next quest on my agenda.

Major Miracle

But in 1977, I hit a mother lode of a miracle. It started in utter frustration of bumper-to-bumper, rush hour traffic on Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles. Six times another driver cut me off. Five of those times there was insufficient room for their vehicles. All six could've resulted in collision had it not been for my quick reaction time on the brakes.

After the sixth such near collision, I realized that I was 100% responsible for all of those near collisions. I'm still trying to understand that idea even 34 years later, but the feeling of responsibility felt perfect. Suddenly, I did not feel vulnerable or a victim. And it took me 33 years to realize that I had thoroughly forgiven those drivers. The sense of peace was overwhelming but entirely comfortable.

The next moment, I remembered my "mechanics of creation" and pictured wide open spaces and smooth sailing all the way to my destination. I applied those mechanics and watched as the center lane ahead of me cleared within 5 seconds -- all 2 miles (over 10,000 feet) of it. And the lane stayed clear ahead of me for the four minutes it took for me to traverse that distance.

From the moment of taking 100% responsibility for my frustration and the events in my environment which contributed to it, and for the next several minutes, I felt like I had never felt in my entire life.

Looking back at the incident, I realized last week that there was physically not enough room for those cars in the outer two lanes. Average distance between vehicles was something like 3-5 feet.

Let's Try Logic

Given that the above is a fairly accurate representation of the events of that day, this would easily qualify as a miracle. Human nature in bumper-to-bumper traffic would not have allowed such rapid clearance or the persistence of such a large empty space.

My experiences have led to one strong possibility -- that I am not inherently a physical body. A purely physical body could not have caused the 1977 Miracle on Wilshire Boulevard. By the same token, a purely physical body cannot bend, break or otherwise circumvent the laws of physical reality for such things as parting the sea (Moses) or walking on water (Peter and Jesus).

As a spiritual being with the ability to create, that makes each one of us inherently baby gods. Ouch! Did someone say "blasphemy?" Genesis 1:26 says this -- that man was created in God's image. What would any being have as children? Humans have baby humans, birds have baby birds, and God has baby gods. And even Jesus told his enemies who were about to stone him for similar blasphemy, "ye are gods."

Even if I had "talked" to God, Jomine, I don't think a psychiatrist would have any relevance. You're thinking entirely too small with that remark. Personally, I don't think I'm worthy to talk to God, yet. I still have far too much ego.

(Just ask Earnest wink)

6. earnestshub profile image81

Ron L hubbard was a third rate science fiction writer who used fifth rate pop psychology and tin cans hooked up to a millivolt meter to explain your life to you.
    I can duplicate the same bulldust meter they sold for a small fortune on a $10 multimeter.

He was a fraud, and most countries including mine is trying to get Scientology banned. I did their communication course.

Their admin is so pis* poor that they promoted me in my absence to high office without me having done more than a free course!

I worked in their mail room in Sydney Australia and got an inside look at one of the dirtiest money grubbing organisations I have had the displeasure of seeing.

Everyone worked 14 hour days in the organisation conning people out of money. and that labour is provided free.
    They took many thousands of dollars a day off poor unsuspecting fools.

7. earnestshub profile image81

Goodnight all, big day tomorrow. smile

If I die in my sleep I will blame someone! lol

8. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

I believe in, "Dont Ask, Dont Tell".....

9. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image61
    Jo_Goldsmith11posted 12 years ago

I *Believe* that this is crazy to talk about *believe in God*.  When the day arrives and all will be judged..I hope I am standing next to you!

I agree, that is crazy talk.

10. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image61
    Jo_Goldsmith11posted 12 years ago

so then I have the opportunity to ask you ..do you *Believe* now??!!

11. profile image0
    vineyardfauxcomposted 12 years ago

thats where you are wrong God speaks to those who are His ,I dont have to see Him I see Him in His creation ,and he dwells in me by His son Jesus Christ its not physical its all about the inner spirit that becomes His at becoming born again ,to me most if what I read was babble its simple alot of those who call themselves christians ,dont read there Bible and if they do read its head knowledge only and not heart expierence,its always been about Jesus dwelling inside of His children by His Holy Spirit but thats a topic that saints today are affraid of and seldomly understand head wisdom is good but will not save you its all about the heart ,I know my life I know my encounters I know my walk and how I met Him,just as my opinion doesn't matter to you nor does spewing babble mean anything to me the Apostle Paul wrote though I dwelled with those claiming to know Him I found that they added nothing to me spiritually ,If what I said offended you I didnt mean to thats the problem with todays church its about fuzzy feeling and hanging out with people of like mind but they are lost and have no clue on what being a true child of God means ,But as for my walk I know well whom I believe in and He is the Christ the first born of many true bretheren filled with His Holy Spirit I will end with this if you want to know Him Repent and humble yourself before Him and then wait if its done with the right motive He will show up for He is never late have a great weekend EmileR.

For some strange reason, I felt obligated to read that all in one breath.

2. profile image0

Umm, you have a great weekend too? smile

12. earnestshub profile image81

I found it to be a controlling statement typical of fundamentalists.

"This is the only thing you can do to be right" but I didn't say it jesus/god/fred said so so it must be true.

I see it as a pathetic megalomanic grasp for power by proxy from those who have none themselves.

13. profile image0

alrighty then I take it that no one has ever seen a demon then face to face ,oh let me clarify the term demon a fallen angel a spirit being shadow being,boogie man what ever yall want to call it ,they are real very real,they are the unseen force that tears families apart marriages apart, for there job is but three things steal,kill,and destroy,at this point I really dont care what the topic is what I gained from all the reading is yall picked the wrong topic to chew the cud on oh look it up its in yalls dictionary,I have seen them and heard them I live and talk by the experience of my walk with God for the last 30 years of my life His Holy Spirit is one of the greatest gifts ever given to man after Jesus Christ be very careful of your next thought for by the words of Jesus Christ said you can curse me and you can blaspheme my Father but if you blaspheme the Holy Spirit this is a sin that will not be forgiven,(heres you dictionnary for you to speak of God or sacred entity in an irreverent,impious manner  ) for this you will be cast into the lake of fire without judgement .I will unfollow this page for as for me yall add nothing to me ,my last opinion yall have to much book knowledge and not enough HEART knowledge ,for the Lord has said if any lack wisdom let him ask of God who giveth liberally and upbradeth not ,oh this is me you just cant fix stupid ,peace out no offence.

If the are an unseen force, how do you see one face to face, yall?

Without YOUR judgment? That's mighty neighborly of yall.

14. earnestshub profile image81

I've been set on fire before by experts in here as have all those who don't buy the tale, or swallow the kool-aide so I guess you should be made to stand in line to have all those who don't buy your myth burnt, killed sent to hell or purgatory.
    It may take a while. smile
    How very loving and religious of you to offer your advice. smile And free too! lol

1. profile image0

lol your funny purgatory doesn't exist thats the myth,the greatest deception in the world is that the devil doesn't exist ,but to each his on ,for the truth will soon be revealed.

I'll say the truth has been revealed!

More of it every day now with the aid of super computers to do the math, the god myth will be completely discredited by it's own so called evidence within a few years. lol

15. profile image0

there was  no judgement just observation Gods the judge but as His son I judge mans fruit Godly or ungodly ,you pose a good question I was at a deliverance ministry in New Orleans wild weekend for Gods children 6 years ago there was a man in front of me the was about to be prayed for by the Preacher of the church warfare team as the preacher started to speak he started to pray in the spirit and as he prayed I was watching the man infront of me he started to shake and tremble I was two feet away from him the preacher was about 1 to 2 feet infront of him the man head started moving side to side and then a face appeared on the back of this mans head and groweled at me it had spikes on its head and pointed teath I was at that time praying out loud in the Holy Spirit as well it spoke with a hissing voice stop praying for this man hes my human I then laughed the preacher and I stepped back the preacher cast out the demon it screamed and the man fell to his knees calling on the name of Jesus the man had never spoken until that day .if you want to know the rest let me know theres more but I feel I should stop .I will end with this if my post have seemed like judgement I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me for it wasn't my intent I'm 48 years old and I have seen Gods hand touch many people I have seen legs grow documented cases backed up from Hospitals ,also blind see ,deaf hear to question this or question that to me is a waste of precious time why waste breath talking about God  when you can openly and honestly know Him to me its all foolishness or gobblygook as you call it .to you spiritual stuff is fake to me its very real for I know what I have seen .

1. profile image0

I'm sorry. I have to ask. Were there drugs involved? Your post is a tad over the top.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ya think?  lol  Sounds about right for a Texas fundamentalist to me.  smile

1. profile image0

I have to say, that could explain quite a few of the posts on this forum.

Not intending to boast, but I think our south Georgia fundamentalists are just as intelligent as those out west, Emile.smile

1. profile image0

That's a pretty bold statement, but I'll trust your judgment. I can't say that I've had the pleasure of seeing  a fundamentalist in person. Not sure I'd want to. I'd have a hard time keeping a straight face. smile

16. Doc Snow profile image87
    Doc Snowposted 12 years ago

You know, I don't quite understand why God would care whether or not I believe in Him/Her.

He/She presumably knows what Universe it is that He/She created.  It's vastly greater in every way than I am; I'd think that the only reasonable Divine response to any doubts I might feel would be pitying amusement.  Rather as if my new kitten doubted I exist, only many orders of magnitude more so.

On the other hand, it's pretty clear that some humans care what others believe because influencing those others serves important emotional (or, sometimes, material) needs felt by the former.  In other words, it makes some feel happy/important/validated to think that they have saved my immortal soul.

Well, if it makes you feel better, by all means pray for poor lost me.  It can't hurt.

But as I say, I really don't think that any God there may be can possibly care what I think of them.  Crudely put, there's no way a being so great could be that insecure.

I agree, Doc.  Playing games using misery, torment, and pain doesn't strike me as godly in the least, especially if the outcome has already been known to the deity forever.  smile

17. earnestshub profile image81

"Crudely put, there's no way a being so great could be that insecure"

I would have thought that to be obvious, but it is amazing what indoctrinated individuals make of this glaringly obvious fact. smile

18. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 12 years ago

And away we go again folks another atheist who has to dis - all believers  in order to justify his emptiness of spirituality. as if we really care. And why?

1. profile image0

Why do we care? Probably because everyone's opinion is of value? I enjoyed reading both of your posts. smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image59

We who? Are you speaking for others or just yourself?  Did someone elect you as spokesman for them here, or did you merely assume the role voluntarily?  I would bet on the latter.  smile

19. DON BALDERAS profile image67
    DON BALDERASposted 12 years ago

Life is so precious and whoever is the origin and author of life would receive the highest appreciation from his creatures.

20. profile image0

I think that the fact that atheists that have to constantly bolster thier non- beliefs by tearing down believers, actually shows how in need of spiruality they are. Don't be ashamed  of yourselves , go ahead cry out for help. Denial only increases your hypocracy!

I think that religionists state myths as facts in the endless threads they start to flog their disgusting beliefs to innocent people who may even pass this hate on to their children, so non believers are morally opposed to the religiously impaired foisting this rubbish ad infinitum.

1. profile image0
        Sherlock221bposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There was a TV programme on tonight, which followed American children who had been trained by their parents to be evangelical preachers.  It really was quite horrible to see innocent children being legally brainwashed into having hatred for their fellow man in the name of their Lord and Saviour.  They were from the Bible Belt, and travelled to different parts of the country.  One child with his father was preaching against homosexuals in New York, and the reaction from the crowd became angry, and the child looked upset and confused.  For a so-called loving father to put his child through this is hard to understand.

The enforced indoctrination of a child, whether on religious or politcal grounds, is I believe a form of child abuse.

2. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It would seem that the vocal minority is doing the devils work, giving ALL believers a bad reputation; the same way afew muslams give it to all who believe in Islam.

I have one family member who is lesbian. The most loving, unobtrusive person I have ever meet. Is she going to hell?    If there is a hell. Hell no!

If anything going to send a person to hell. It would be for hating and hypocracy.

SOME Christians may say  "We are all sinners",
           They say that they have been forgiven for those that they have repented of.
           What about the sins that they are unaware of, which they continuslly committ.
           Scripture says that if you believe something is a sin and you do it anyway, you are sinning.

If you are not aware that it is a sin, then it is somewhat blameless.

I therefore I think that it is a sin to point out to someone that what they do is a sin, because to do so is putting them in sin.

Talk about oximorons

Sorry I may have strayed from what I was origionally going to say.  But OH well?

21. earnestshub profile image81

I agree Sherlock, it is child abuse. sad I missed the show, but have seen others as you have too no doubt.

22. SilentReed profile image80
    SilentReedposted 12 years ago

You will have to define "God" first.Different strokes for different folks.But even Mammon as personified by the US currency (is it still around? smile have the words "In God we trust" printed on it.And your use of it at least a tacit agreement ? smile smile smile

23. earnestshub profile image81

I think you stayed with the subject well. Hate is projection, not wanting to own it themselves humans project their own weaknesses on to others.
    The OT is a crude roadmap of the shadow aspect of self as I see it in it's original form.

Of course there is a mass of real historic evidence that is growing which confirms it got warped by those in power to make it personal so it could be used to control.

1. Jerami profile image58

I have said many times that I think the church that Rome built is the beast that John saw riseing up out o the sea.
         It fulfills every description.
        And all denominations that came from that tree are daughters of the whore.

Gabriel told Daniel  (in 538BC) that in 62 weeks they are going to kill the messiah  and it shall be seven more weeks unto the Messiah (second coming)  Yet that hebrew Nation was given another week to quit sinning.

Just look at this like it was a math problem in Junior High school.

And almost 40 years ater the 70 weeks were fulfilled,   (138 AD) the end of the world came for THAT Hebrew nation that ALL of these prophesy (for hundreds of years) were given to. 

It really is that simple.   It they are going to believe the bible ... then believe this simple math equation that   ...  IS  IN  THE  BIBLE  !

God never wanted a man to be leader of an organized religion that says that they represent HIM.

24. earnestshub profile image81

There is a great series on history channel showing in Australia at the moment that may agree with your view, I just can't recall what it's name is. smile

1. Jerami profile image58

I will say that my views are my own, because I spent about ten years analitically disecting the prophesy in scripture.

I know that you do not like the term UN-interpreting that which we have been taught that scripture is saying.

It can be done!  I just ain't easy.
        Before we even begin reading any verse in scripture, we already know what we are going to understand it to say.

We have been programed that way.

Gotta undo it!   Like having a preconceived concept as to what a legal and binding contract says.  Ya think you are going to tripple your money when in fact ...  Ya lost your house.

Sorry to hear that, I guess that's lost time you'll never get back.

25. MissLuLuMarie profile image61
    MissLuLuMarieposted 12 years ago

I always ask people if they believe in ghosts and if they say no, I ask them why.  They usually say because they have never seen one so how do they know they exist? And then I ask if they believe in God, and of course most of the time they do.  And then I ask why, and they say because they just do. And then they give you that puzzled look, because they realize that doesn't make sense.  I think people believe in God because they need something there, they need some comfort knowing there is something bigger then them controlling or guiding them.  Now I have no problems with people believing in God or whatever it is they want to believe in, I just think you need a better reason to believe other than just because.

There is often a stronger reason than "because" but to a non-believer they would just ridicule.  No one wants to listen or be open minded.

26. earnestshub profile image81

well that is true enough, which is why I studied as much as I could in the old languages as well.
    I was able to read it my way too, as I was interested in knowing, not proving. Big difference. smile

27. profile image0

Again , as no one has tried to answer my question, I will rephrase, Why do Atheists have to try to break the Ba##s of christions to prove they are atheists? Seems like it might be simple to answer! Its like you have to go around knocking over someone elses stick pile?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

Talk about irrational. lol

Thank you ahorseback. I needed a good laugh today. lol

While I often see Cagsil confirming your question is valid, the vast majority of atheists have no need to do such things.

Too bad I cannot confirm her posts about Atheists.

I have NO religion, but nice try. lol

Never said you had a religion, did I.

If you're implying that I confirm statements made by someone talking about Atheist, then you would be saying that I have a religion, considering Atheism is a religion in many different countries of the world. wink Do try to word your statements more carefully. lol

Yes, I think you made that claim before and it was shown to you that whenever those statistics are generated, there is a disclaimer stating that although atheism is listed amongst the statistics (as they must be in order to make the demographics valid) it is not a religion.

My statement to ahorseback was to respond that you have no interest in discussing things but instead toss out sound bites with the sole intention to, and I quote, "break the Ba##s of christions".

That was her point, and you consistently confirm it. Others here will make the attempt to explain themselves, you won't, or can't.

28. profile image0

Cagsil , Oh my you too!. Theres a surprise.

29. OutWest profile image56
    OutWestposted 12 years ago

But God, The Creator is much different than the knowingly made up tooth fairy.  To which we know all about it.  A purpose for life and how we got here is not the same thing at all.  And I might add a very poor comparison.

1. profile image0

What is the difference except that one is made to entertain children and the other to control adults?

"To control adults" is maybe your opinion at best.   The God "concept" is still quite different to the tooth fairy which we as adults have knowingly made up.  We are addressing a fundimental point to our existance.

1. Evolution Guy profile image57
          Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL

Fundimental?  To us  existance innit like wot god sed. LOLOL

Write english unless you do not want to be understood.  Thanks

2. profile image0

To the point. "Concept and made up", makes a big difference, whether its for good or not!

30. profile image0

jomine here is how you solve your own question fast for forty days and for forty nights get down on your knees and send God a knee mail ,I can garantee ,you will see and hear the enemy of God and see them and when you cryout to God to save you from what you are seeing you will truly have answered your own question stop being lazy input is good but when you attack Gods children He steps in read 1and 2nd Thess,I say challenge God to reveal Himself to you but if what you are doing has no truth He will not show up .the God I serve doesn't put on dog and pony shows but satin and his demons will challenge him also, but know this God will not be mocked .as for your question who said God exist God did for He was and is and always shall be ,there is none before Him or after Him,those are His words not mine ,you are treading on thin ice.

1. profile image0

Delusions and hallucinations need treatment.

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When do you start??????

31. angemac23 profile image61
    angemac23posted 12 years ago

I am not sure if I believe in god nor not.....I think there is something there but it is not the way I learned in church or in religion classes as a child....

32. profile image0

Vineyard is right , Atheists put believers on a dog and pony show! and For what , to prove you can say anything and not be punished? What? Was daddy a mean preacher or something , did Grammy make you say grace , grow up! Find a cause , fix your government or something . Remember "the meek shall inheit your earth"  , I only hope when they do there will be no more atheists with a cause.

33. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

I am an atheist because of the lack of any evidence that a god exists or that the universe was designed.  However, I am an atheist who would love to believe in God, rather than one who does not want a god to exist.  I just need evidence.

However, one of the biggest obstacles for my believing in god is because of the anger and hatred often shown by religious believers against those who do not share their views.  It seems many Christians want to push people away from Christ.

34. profile image0

Sherlock , Perhaps you could do as I , Just believe in the spirituality of  creation , Let go the childlike knowing that given the beauty of this world alone . A sunset , a newborn child , The natural wonders of this earth! That there is no way it could come from a bang. Listen , I believe that mans interpretation of the origins of religion are as twisted as anything human! I dont believe that man was meant to worship over the TV, or tythe 15 % of his income , I am not sure that I  believe  in a pope , a saint or a baptism , but I believe in a higher being! Pick your own style of  worship or meditation. The Jerry Fallwel's of this world are idiots, as all televangelists ! But for me ..There is something out there! Again , I dont have a problem either way , believe or don't ! But there is a level of immaturity to cut down someone who does believe! And to me ; that is what the ateists of these forums always do . Dis- a believer to justify their own atheism?  Right !

1. profile image0

As long as there are believers, be ready for another 9/11.
      All beliefs center on irrationality, only the grade is different.

35. theirishobserver. profile image59
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

Monday to Friday only the weekends are mine smile

36. profile image0

Perhaps the ultimate irony , however no surprise from humanity!  "I will believe if you show me proof!" Sometmes I think that humanity was just given a little too much I.Q. Atheist remind me of todays scientists predicting global warming on a sunny day. Or a politician predicting doom and gloom in an economy because they spend too freakin much! Admit it: you are empty hollow ,shallow,vessels of humanity. Get a life , get a god! And Jomine .....As long as there are believers - your right to voice your opinion on a religion or atheism is being protected { of course by someone else }!

1. profile image0

You forgot the multitude murdered(still continuing) by believers for airing their views.

37. profile image0

And ahh ,atheists  dont kill! Right. Any resson or no reason .....

1. profile image0

I've never heard an atheist killing to spread atheism, just like a believer dying to protect the right of an atheist.
      By the way I'm not an atheist.

38. itsameanoldscene profile image60
    itsameanoldsceneposted 12 years ago

I personally am without religion & therefore I can think rationally, take different faith's views & opinions on board, listen, try understand & if need be criticize  - I find it liberating without the shackles!

39. profile image0

Jomine ,atheists , christians , how do YOU determine who the warriors or killers are . Have you been there on the front lines?  Are you the killer and if you aren't , is it only Chrristians who kill . I love elitism .....I would be one except  for one thing .....there is an odor about idealists and that odor pushes me away! Please do explain how atheism  excludes itself ,somehow, from reality!

1. profile image0

Atheists may kill, but no atheist kill for "atheism", as it does not offer salvation, after life, purpose of life or 72 virgins and its not an ideology. While religions kill for religions sake. Atheism is just a step towards rationalism.

It was never religions who tried to protect others rights.In fact, even Martin Luther, who advocated Christian reforms asked to kill atheists. As long as there are religions my right for my opinion and sometimes even my right to live is under threat(If you got any doubt, try going to middle east or Pakistan and express some doubts about Mohammed's teachings).

40. profile image0

rotf LMAF.

41. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

Do I believe in God. No. No need to. I know better and fully capible to think for myself.

42. profile image56
    trackfodderposted 12 years ago

Let me share a few reasons I know God is real.  I was a skeptic and felt maybe God was our father but the ocean was our mother and we evolved from a single cell electrochemical happening.  That was before I suddenly realized I was spared all kinds of bad situations and death beyond the probability of chance or numbers.  I WAS BEING PROTECTED.  When I was dating, I had a girl down in the seat that was wanting action and I decided to head out of the drive -in movie to a back road.  I looked at the gas gauge on Dad's car and panicked.  It was on empty.  I took her straight home and next day messed up and ;lost her.  Another was a incredible sexy girl working in a drive in and she was afraid to date anyone because a returned Marine said he would pulverize anybody else that tried to date her.  She wouldn't date him.  He got electrocuted installing an A/C so I told her  he was dead and we could go out. She had a set of breasts that set me on fire, but all she talked about all night was her father's career in a minor league ball team.  I figured she thought I was a loser, but when I took her home she French kissed me such that I am still recovering but she had to go in and babysit her sis.  I vowed I would get her the next night.  The next night I met my wife-to-be in a sandwich shop, and I was hooked.  I proposed the 3rd night after I got rid of the other 2 switchboard operators and 6 mos. later we were married, 54 years ago.  I rode my motorcycle to work in 1958 on patch ice and was taking the cheap construction workers hat I used racing hydroplanes.  It had a strap and having nowhere to carry it on the bike, strapped it on.  I worked in an R&D pilot plant and my drillers helmet kept getting stuck between pipes, hence the narrow one.  I was crossing a slab 30 x 40 ft covered with glare ice and both feet shot from under me and I hit all over on my back at once.  My head rang and when I looked where I fell there was a 2" all-thread pipe nipple sticking up and it made a 2/3 circular scar on the fiberglass on the back of my skull.  What are the odds of having the hat on at that time in that spot?  More recently I was driving 50 mi. to work in Tulsa and was cruising in my Ford Probe at 75 on cruise,  Dawn, light rain,and a black 3/4 T. Dodge crew cab with a 16 ft trailer 15 ft. in front of me with 2 ft in my way.  I went about 450 ft on 3 wheels, managed to steer into the median grass, and walked back to the intersection with a sore knee from the steering wheel and a sore foot from being repelled by the floorboard as it came 4' past the clutch peddle.  I was 3 hrs late for work, got a great settlement from his insurance, and found a better one of the same year for less than the settlement , bought my wreck for $15 for a spare as the engine was fresh. had a new A/C compressor, and the radiator was good.  The floor,fender,door and roof were wrinkled/destroyed.  I grew up making gunpowder, bombs, motorbikes, and putt-putt cars with lawnmower engines and was unscathed.  I laughingly believe God was saving me to take care of my wife.  Now when Obama and the U.N. divide Israel, all Hell is going to tear loose.  God said if any country should divide Jerusalem, I will destroy that country.  All the last-day signs are in place and in September there are supposed to be some planets and an ice-ball comet in alignment and this is nearing peak sunspot activity anyhow.  God will fight on the side of Israel against the rest of the world (Armageddon) and what better way than to suck a goober (Solar flare) off the Sun and fry all the power grids , electronics, etc. making the rockets, planes , and vehicles useless.  If He really wants B.O's hide the super volcano in Yellowstone could blow at any moment.. It has bulged 100 ft recently and the animals are leaving like the elephants in Indonesia going to higher ground and one taking a small boy with him before the tsunami.  The Israelis on their own turf probably have some neat stuff from WW2 like howitzers, jeeps with regular ignition, etc, and they have 3 German subs offshore Iran loaded with cruise missiles that may survive the EMT and be able to take out targets in Iran, but without the satellites they may have a problem with that.  I have had many more close calls, but if you have read this far I would be surprised.

43. princess g profile image60
    princess gposted 12 years ago

No, I don't believe in God.

44. wademvp91 profile image59
    wademvp91posted 12 years ago

I do believe in God. For me it's hard not too. Yes there is no "evidence" but to me, all of the "evidence" that I need is all around me. There is no way that a giant big bang created the earth as we know it. The world is too perfect for it to be a random coincidence. I believe in God because I know that without Him, there would not be an Earth.

45. Yasdill profile image61
    Yasdillposted 12 years ago

I just have one question, "Why do people believe in what the news say or what magazines write and say about other people, but yet the BIBLE that has been there for soooo many years, people do not want to believe?"  Why is this???  Because people are lazy and rather live in a world where they don't have to follow God's commandments, people rather sin than to live a better life. Its just easier right? Im just saying. Remember were here to post our ideas and share them, not to fight or make a war because of something that someone believes or says. Its freedom of speech and right. Thanks

I think you have this wrong way around.

I think the believers are the lazy ones. I don't believe because I made a sincere deep study of religion and have a good knowledge of it as many non believers have. Most "believers" have never even read the OT. smile

46. healthobserver profile image58
    healthobserverposted 12 years ago

Of course yes, I believe God exists He created this life. He is where we complain, ask for directions when we trouble ... and He is where we return.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)