Weekly Topic Inspiration: Disaster Preparedness

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Have you turned on the news lately? Apparently, the world is a bit... messy right now.  That's why I think Dave Powell is quite brilliant to suggest creating a personal or family disaster plan as this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration theme!

So if you don't know what to write about this wee, consider making a Hub or two about preparing for different disasters- floods, power outages, storms, fires, earthquakes, riots, etc...

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:
    1)    Click here to visit this week's topic.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's guides.  I bet putting the Hubs together will be a nice opportunity to evaluate one's emergency plans, too! Thanks for the great suggestion, Dave Powell!

1. dredcuan profile image91
      dredcuanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope hubpages will do something with the spammer here.  Why don't you just create a hub where you can post all your links than spamming in a useful discussion like this one?  HUH?

Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks dredcuan. The spammy posts have been deleted. Be sure to flag spam whenever you see it- that makes it easier for moderators to catch it and take it down smile

1. dredcuan profile image91
          dredcuanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ah yes Simone.  I'll do it next time to help the hubpages community.  I'm pretty new here that's why still clueless on how things work out.

2. Dave Powell profile image59
      Dave Powellposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your nice comments Simone... and I've loved peoples' responses! And I finally just finished my OWN contribution, at:

http://davepowell.hubpages.com/hub/Comm … ster-Needs

Hope you enjoy it. And if you do, remember... as with any hubs you like... please vote up!

Sincerely,

Dave

1. K9keystrokes profile image82
        K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Communication is a key aspect to be aware of should mother nature throw a fit. Love the Apple App chart! Thanks Dave, great stuff!
        Cheeers!

1. Dave Powell profile image59
          Dave Powellposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're most welcome K9... Appreciate it!!

2. Simone Smith profile image87

Yeah, what a great topic!  I hadn't before considered all these alternative means of communication- I had just assumed that all communication would be impossible were a bad enough disaster to hit. Thanks for pointing these out!

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Already wrote a hub on emergency kits...look forward to reading these hubs.

You're so on top of it! Yeah, I'm looking forward to these, too!

2. K9keystrokes profile image82

UW~ Will you post your emergency kits link here? Sounds very interesting.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

I also wrote two on power outages and one on what to take when you evacuate. I think it is a good subject, too. I will read.

4. K9keystrokes profile image82
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

What an awesome topic Simone. I look forwad to reading all of the great hubs.cool

5. McCordRM profile image59
    McCordRMposted 12 years ago

Bah... I created a Hub, but not through the Answer This Question link. Any way to attach my Hub to the question?

Here's the Hub: http://mccordrm.hubpages.com/hub/How-to … er-strikes

It's a short article on how to best prepare (generalized)for disasters.

Oh, bummer! Well, no worries.  At least you've shared the link with us here!  Most of the folks following the question are following this forum thread at any rate.
      Thanks for sharing the good advice though!

Found the zombie thing pretty funny, but as you point out, a good plan! Enjoyed this hub. smile

6. K9keystrokes profile image82
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

As a Californian, Earthquakes scare the h*ll out of me. I regularly read about safety measures surrounding such natural events. Decide for yourself if this controversial earthquake survival technique will or will not work for you and your family.

http://hubpages.com/t/284789

Happy Hubbing Everyone!
    lol

I wouldn't call that technique controversial at all! I'm so glad you introduced me to it via your Hub!!! I'm going to tell everyone about it. 
      Hahaa, I'm seriously glad we have this weekly topic, or else I'd still be standing in doorways when earthquakes roll around, hehee! big_smile

Simone, you bring me a big ole' smile today! MWWAAAHHH! And stay out of the doorways!
        HubHugs!

7. Azure11 profile image83
    Azure11posted 12 years ago

In light of what had happened in the UK recently I was thinking what the most important things I would want to save if my house was hit by a fire and so my hub is about this:
    http://azure11.hubpages.com/hub/How-To- … rom-a-Fire

Most helpful, this is!  I'm glad to know I'm already doing all the things you've suggested big_smile

I was shocked at the house fire stats you offer, wow! I am going to start using a couple of your tips, thanks for sharing. cool

1. Azure11 profile image83
        Azure11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks k9, I was shocked too.

8. profile image0
    Dr. Grizposted 12 years ago

Great topic.  I would like to add that we not forget our pets in a disaster.  Here is a hub to help them if the unthinkable happens.

http://drgriz.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-M … s-and-Cats

Dr. Griz, I love this hub! Can't wait to get my own pet first aid emergency kit together. Thanks a bunch for offering your wisdom to us.
      Cheers! lol

Ditto! This Hub is so useful!!
      Might I suggest adding some Amazon capsules in of products you'd recommend?  I'm not familiar with a lot of the stuff you've described, so I think they'd help a lot. 
      One way you can get them to float right next to the bullet on that particular item is to put that bullet (and the bullets following) in a new text capsule, but without a header, then float the Amazon capsule to the right.  It doesn't LOOK like your text is in a new capsule, but that way you can get the Amazon capsule in just the right spot.

1. profile image0
        Dr. Grizposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the suggestions, Simone.  I will see what I can do to get Amazon items added.

9. tlpoague profile image80
    tlpoagueposted 12 years ago

This is a hub I wrote a couple of months ago on Tornadoes. A few weeks after I wrote this piece, a series of 8 tornadoes hit a small community. My sister-in-law had one a mile from her house. My sister had one that missed her house by three miles. It took out a farm house, outbuildings, and 2 combines. My husband took pictures, but we were unable to upload them. As I write this, there is a tornado that went through parts of Nebraska tonight.
    http://tlpoague.hubpages.com/hub/Tornad … e-prepared

I found this hub to be an outstanding lesson in tornado awareness and well worth the read. I particularly enjoyed your video's on how a tornado forms. Very informative, thanks.

What a great Hub!  The original videos and photos you've added really drive everything home.  I'm glad you shared it here!

1. tlpoague profile image80
        tlpoagueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone and K9. I couldn't believe it when I had received hub of the day. Thanks to everyone who voted for my hub!

10. prektjr.dc profile image73
    prektjr.dcposted 12 years ago

I wrote this mainly on Tornado preparedness.  It is important in our area as we live a mere 8 miles from the EF5 that hit Joplin, Missouri.  However, yesterday afternoon, my daughter's home caught on fire and was seriously damaged.  It happened at noon and only my son-in-law and the two youngest were home.  He reacted smartly and all are safe.  I want to thank those who have written their hubs on fire safety.  It is crucial to plan ahead for every type of disaster and to know what to do.  I hope someone will benefit from some of my tips. The principals will work for any type of disaster...have your children prepared.  Practice frequently.  God bless.

http://prektjr-dc.hubpages.com/hub/Prep … r-Disaster

You give kids the tools they need to manage disasters in this really easy to read hub. What a special gift! My thoughts are with you and daughter, glad everyone is okay. Fire is a very frightening thing.
      HubHugs~

Oh my gosh- I'm so sorry about your daughter's home! I'm glad that everyone is OK. And I'm glad you've shared this helpful guide!  I'm sure it'll benefit someone- I know *I* find it helpful, and if I'm ever in tornado country, I'll keep your tips in mind!

3. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fire is something I worry about al lthe time. I'm afraid my condo buildin gwill catch fire when I'm not home and my cat will frak out and hide under the futon. I have a photo of her and her name on my door to help firefighters.

11. prektjr.dc profile image73
    prektjr.dcposted 12 years ago

K9, Thank you - It is so important for children to know what to do and what to expect.  They cope so much better!  Fire is VERY frightening....but all are good!  God is good!  Thanks for the HubHugs!

12. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

My article on this topic deals with educating yourself about likely kinds of disasters for your area and making various plans with alternates, including the family pets.

http://dzymslizzy.hubpages.com/hub/Disa … ple-Really

(and no, I've not added any Amazon links--since I live in CA and Amazon has banished me--why should I send business their way?!!)

Great compilation of survival tips. So smart to remember a hand-crank can opener! You also make disasters a little safer for our animal friends, very important points to me. Thannks for sharing your disaster preparedness tips with us. lol

This is indeed a fabulous compilation!  I really appreciate how thorough you've been. And sorry about the Amazon situation- hopefully it won't be like that for long!

13. ubanichijioke profile image75
    ubanichijiokeposted 12 years ago

You re doing a great job fellow. Keep it up. Bless you simone

14. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 12 years ago

UGH!!!  I did a hub about a year ago on hurricane preparedness.  Oh, well...maybe I can come up with something else, as well...

You're just so ahead of the game, Anna Marie Bowman!!

1. SimeyC profile image89
        SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me too - I had my 'How to survive the end of time' hub published months ago!

15. elayne001 profile image79
    elayne001posted 12 years ago

http://elayne001.hubpages.com/hub/Prepa … -An-Island

Preparing for An Emergency and Living On an Island

16. profile image50
    lapss321posted 12 years ago

You re doing a great job fellow. Keep it up. Bless you simone

17. Dave Powell profile image59
    Dave Powellposted 12 years ago

Thanks so much for your lovely comments Simone and lapss321!

18. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

This was such a fabulous topic. Thanks again Dave Powell for thinking of it!

This week, we've got a contest-related theme. Check it out in the new WTI thread! http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/81411

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)