New-Challenge Challenge - Ideas, Suggestions?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Hello, Everyone!

I am working on proposing a new challenge (which may actually eventually need to be posted in a different forum category, although I'm not sure), and I would like suggestions for a title for it.

The idea so far is that it would be geared towards good hubbers who are not seeing the kind of traffic or income that they would like (and who perhaps never have), but who don't feel up to the challenge of the 30-Day or 60-Day challenges.  Those are great challenges - don't get me wrong!  But I confess that I feel slightly intimidated by both of them, and I may not be alone.  Also, I'm thinking more along the lines of Hubbers who don't have good ideas about where to start or who haven't yet felt motivated to try some of the tips that others have suggested.

My idea is to have a sign-up process; a format for reporting the steps one has taken and their results; and a bouncy thread where various ideas can be shared, along with immediate and longer-range results.

So, Step One:  What great title should I give this challenge?
    and, Step Two:  Who would like to participate?

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would call it simply the 'SEO challenge'. Anyone who has ever participated in any challenge whatsoever here on HP has undergone a massive learning experience.

That is actually what is so great about the 30 day challenge. The participant may not have much guidance, but they have exposure and they quickly learn what works and what doesn't.

I tried the 30 day challenge pretty early on in my hubbing experience, and I couldn't complete it, basically because I didn't have the motivation.

SEO sounds incredibly complicated, but actually isn't, not at all.

An SEO challenge would let people see that.

Yes I'll participate. I'm happy to share the limited knowledge I have and maybe learn in the process smile

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Count me in too. I think trading links for common subjects would be good too.

2. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

Count me in. I'm terrible at SEO and could really benefit from a challenge like this!

3. Aficionada profile image80

I'm excited to get your interest!

Barbara Kay, please don't take this the wrong way.  I'm hoping you don't actually mean "trading" links, because that's a no-no, although it does initially seem like a good idea.  I myself made exactly the same suggestion at one point, and others helped me to see that it's not actually an innocent, helpful tip.  There are better and truly acceptable ways of encouraging and supporting one another, and that's what I want to focus on.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74

We used to put RSS feeds on when they had the hub subject of the week. It is basically the same thing and if they are helpful, I don't get the rule. But I'll always go by the rules.

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This clarifies things.  Sharing an RSS feed has been within the rules for challenges in the past, but I'm not certain whether that has changed with some of the new guidelines.  Sorry for my misunderstanding! - I was thinking you meant more of a one-on-one, hubber-to-hubber link trading thing (which is what I meant when I naively suggested it ages ago sad hmm).

As we get this going, I'm eager to hear additional ideas.  Some of them may need to be explained by the person who offers them.  I see my role here more as that of a facilitator, helping to get this organized and off the ground, than as an expert (which I am not) telling others what to do and how to do it.  There are many everyday, helpful tips that I myself haven't used yet and would not  know how to pass along to others.  I'm hoping that everyone who participates will share the tips that they have found to be most helpful - and share real details that others may not know yet.

4. Aficionada profile image80

Following up some more - maybe what you are wanting to say is to trade knowledge of places to go to get links, or to trade knowledge of sites that are good for linking - that sort of thing?

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The best way to 'trade links' is to carry a common rss feed and display it on the hubs around the same topic.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74

That is basically what I mean.

5. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

You could call it the 'Step Up Challenge' - that gives it the chance to develop without being tied to a set number of hubs or a particular idea.

6. Aficionada profile image80

Okay, all, I'm going to start a new thread on the actual challenge in a short while.  I like both of the suggested titles for it and I see advantages with each.  Would it be too confusing or unfocused to call it the "Step Up-SEO Challenge"?  While I agree that better SEO is essential, I don't want the title itself to scare away potential participants.

Looking at my calendar and clock, I am seeing that I need to get something out about this within a couple of hours, because I will almost certainly be out of touch during most of the day tomorrow (not so good for getting something started!).  But it will at the minimum give more people a chance to see the guidelines for this.

7. Aficionada profile image80

Ohboy... Several things have come up IRL to delay the "official start" thread a bit more.  I'll add some details here, but I won't be able to open the new thread for another couple of days, I'm sorry to say.

My thought is that:

This new challenge will be open to anyone who has been on HP for at least one month and who has published at least 10 hubs. 

Everyone who participates needs to commit to a minimum time of two weeks - more would be better. 

Participants need to keep some sort of diary that will be published in the form of a hub to show activity and results.

Any tweaks, tips, or new types of activity need to be given several days to show their effect; the best way to see that would be to try only one thing at a time (although several related things could be done simultaneously).

Each participant needs to set a personal goal that will be announced as they begin; for example, doubling the number of page views for a specific set of Hubs (or for the entire account); upgrading keyword use in certain Hubs or across the entire account; adding a certain number of backlinks daily; adding or deleting Amazon capsules.

Participants need to agree to check in to the forum thread (not this one) daily to report what they have done and what results they are seeing.

For myself, there are two actions I intend to start with.  One is to follow the Capstone Hub challenge that Marisa Wright suggested in another thread.  I plan to wait a week to see what results I start to get from doing that; then I have some thoughts about commenting and backlinking that I will share when this challenge gets underway.

I'm sorry I won't be able to help get this going as soon as I would like. Family matters need to take precedence for a little while.

8. Danette Watt profile image82
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

I'd like to participate but not sure I can right now. First, school starts Mon and I haven't quite prepped for my class yet (teach news writing)so I don't know if I can commit to something every day, even if it's just for 2 weeks.

The other thing is, I'm not really sure what to do. I like the idea of a capstone challenge, but I don't think I can tell people what I plan to do. I guess I could just go back to some of the hubs I did when I first started and I was absolutely clueless about SEO and didn't use keywords.

Is that what you have in mind for this challenge?

9. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 12 years ago

Count me in... but at the moment I am totally de-motivated.. never mind I am still in and I will ensure that I will give it my best shot.

10. wordscribe43 profile image91
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

I'm definitely in as well.  I think this is just what I need to jump start my motivation.  I like the "Step Up Challenge" or even "Step It Up Challenge" myself.

I'll be following this thread with interest.  Thanks Aficionada!

11. Aficionada profile image80

After getting all enthused about starting this new challenge for the "mildly motivated," I was out of town for a couple of days, then/now facing another few days out of town.  It has turned out not to be the best time for me to motivate/facilitate others.

In the meantime, the ideas being tossed around on the Subdomain Switch thread are what I would suggest to anyone who had planned to participate here.  When I return to my internet capability after a few more days, all the problems may have sorted themselves out, with a huge, high bounce in traffic. lol (I wish!)  At that time I will e-mail those who have expressed interest to see whether any still wish to participate.

My apologies!

1. homesteadbound profile image82
      homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Although I cannot do it right now, because I am doing a 30 day challenge, I have been watching. Please keep me in mind when you are ready to go, and I just might be able to join you. Thanks!

1. homesteadbound profile image82
        homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have started a capstone project within my thirty day challenge so maybe I would be able to combine the two?!?

12. Danette Watt profile image82
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

I'm still interested and can wait a few more days. It will give me time to think about what I'll do as well as get past the first few days of school.

Can we clarify this though?

This will be a 15-day challenge with a final capstone hub - am I correct?

I'm excited about this and looking forward to it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)