Where's the love for comics?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (43 posts)
  1. girlincape profile image77
    girlincapeposted 13 years ago

Seriously, only one thread in here that hasn't had a post in 2 months? Come on. Let's talk comics.

Of course I'm a fan of the Alan Moore stuff, Watchmen especially. I liked the V for Vendetta movie more than the comic though. My favorite comic of all time has to be Nextwave, a two volume series by Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen. It's hilarious and full of awesomeness.

I recently read the original Runaways series by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona and found it to be an exciting concept that sort of fell into stereotypes and cliches. It made me sad. sad

Any thoughts? What are your favorite comics?

1. Len Cannon profile image88
      Len Cannonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I can assure you I talk PLENTY about comics.  I think From Hell was Moore's best book.

My favorite books on the stand right now are-

Unwritten: What if writers shaped the world and we never knew it? Follow along an analog for Harry Potter as he finds out the books his father wrote "starring" him are more real than he thought.

The Incredible Hercules/Prince of Power: Hercules is on hiatus for a few months, replaced by a series starring his co-star, Amadeus Cho.  Cho is the seventh smartest person in the world and one of the best new comic characters in a decade.

Batgirl: I'm a sucker for the character, and it is a fun alternative to the darker Batman comics running.  I'd give Batwoman the nod, but her detective comics run is up and her own series is a few months away from starting.

Secret Six: Holy crap this book is intense. A mix of villains and anti-heroes taking mercenary jobs in the world of high stakes superhero crime.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image72
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I may be a bit biased, but my favorite is the one I co-wrote.
      smile

Aside from that, Neil Gaiman's Sandman series is also a favorite. And the Books of Magic. And Hellblazer. And others.

Cheers,
      JB

1. humanoid profile image61
        humanoidposted 12 years agoin reply to this

you are the first to mention Neil Gaiman here that I have noticed anyway, so far - I LOVE/HATE him....

3. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

idk, i think the problem with comic books isn't so much the stories themselves, but i don't think they're marketed correctly.  Which is kind of funny considering you'd think they would be marketed better with all these superhero films coming out these days.  Plus, it seems like every comic book shop that i know of is located in places that are kind of in the bad parts of town if you know what i mean. 

i mean, i still don't get why Disney/Marvel and Warner/DC doesn't try to broker deals where they're selling comics through places like gamestop or at movie theaters, as i think that would be a great way to market the product as there would be no end to the possibilities there.  one, if there's like a premiere for a film like say "Iron Man 2" and the theater happens to sell comic books too, then they could have a special deal go on like get a free movie ticket if you buy issue number 60 or whatever of "Iron Man." 

Or if you have them marketed and sold through places like gamestop, then that would also be great.  as most of the people who play video games are often some of the same folks that buy comics.  so it would be a win win situation there.  not trying to stereotype anyone here, but just stating an observation.  anyway, that's what i think is why comic books aren't as popular these days, as they don't get promoted correctly.

girlincapeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some good ideas in there. You should work for corporate marketing!

1. profile image0

wow, you really think so?  i never thought about that before, but i'll definitely keep it in mind. thanks for the tip.  big_smile

2. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

I love Archie and Veronica comics. I see myself as a Betty. smile

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae74/readmylist/Archie/11BettyCooper.jpg

3. girlincape profile image77

I've heard that From Hell is the best from multiple sources now, I'll definitely have to read it. Unwritten sounds way cool too.

Your mention of Secret Six reminded me of an awesome comic called The Boys that I'm a little obsessed with. It's got horribly dark humor, but I'm totally head over heels for the characters.

I used to read Archie comics a while back, Betty and Jughead were my favorite. I named my cat after Archie though.

1. animekid profile image63
      animekidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have switched my tastes over the last year and a half. One of the better trade editions that I own at the moment is " Wanted " written by Mark Millar and art provided by J.G. Jones. It's a story about a guy who happens to be a " Dilbert " cubicle type who's life is boring and mundane ( and that's being nice ) who suddenly finds himself being recruited into a super villain organization called the Fraternity who just happen to rule the world...in order to replace his father, who said recruit was not even aware that his father was a super villain! It's great reading, and of course there was that movie featuring one Angelina Jolee. It's worth a read, and another new series that I'm pretty excited about at the moment is Nemesis, also coincidentally written by Millar

I've seen the movie. I liked it a lot the first time as it was a very excited midnight movie setting with lots of young people overreacting to everything, but when it got to DVD and I saw it again I had second thoughts about it. But knowing the differences between comic books and movies that says very little about the comic. I'll have to check it out sometime.

I'll be putting my copy up for sale in my ebay store sometime today.

4. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

I'm stuck in the 60s, 70s and 80s as far as comics go.
    LOL
    Simpler times when the heroes weren't all mentally ill, drug addicts or amoral.
    The bad guys were.
    It even made the anti heroes cooler when they showed up, because not everyone and their brother was like that.
    It made characters like Punisher and Wolverine unique.
    Now they're just one of many.

Yeah, I wish I could've been around and reading comics in those days. Seems like simpler times. Less of a struggle to make characters controversial and therefore interesting. It's so impossible to keep up with the craziness of the characters in ongoing series now, I pretty much only read short series. Makes things a little easier to manage.

Antiheroes are fun but I personally always fall for misfit, incompetent heroes. It's a hard job and somebody's got to do it wrong! I guess that applies to the antiheroes too...

2. animekid profile image63

I have to agree. And as far as characters being unique...well when you have like 80 X-Men titles and all of their spin offs, it's kinda hard to be unique any longer

5. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Still prefer the Beano and the Dandy, still have copies which cost the grand sum of 1d... remember old money??

I have hundreds of old comics stores in the loft of my mum's old house, keep meaning to go through them and see if any are worth anything.... All from late 60s through to the 80s..

Today's comics are starting to get way out of line as far as cost. Superman & Batman #s 700...had to pass them up as they were at the $4.99 mark, and even writing about them and trying to earn a living through writing about them just does not justify the high price tag.I was at my local comics watering hole just the other day and I had a few comics that were at the $3.99 mark and decided that I had to put them back on the shelves. New economy...new spending rules! As far as the stack in your mum's house just remember...condition is everything.

1. LeanMan profile image79
        LeanManposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All dry and wrapped in old black bin bags, last I checked they were all ok..

Does this mean my old 1970's DC comics and the like might be worth a few quid or dollars.... I have not checked anything for years.. Have quite a few number 1's of various comics launched in the UK from years ago, things like 2000AD and Starlord which later merged with 2000AD amongst many others..
        I think I even have quite a few of the old hardback annuals that always got released just before christmas..

Guess I best pop home sometime and checkout what I still have..

6. girlincape profile image77

Yeah comics are crazy expensive now. I try to buy the volumes when they come out but they don't really save you much compared to the individual issues. sad

7. profile image57
    C. Ramsdellposted 13 years ago

Yeah, let me just say: Calvin & Hobbes. Maybe not what you were looking for, but I live for these. big_smile

I feel you. Those are classic and hysterical. I love the running gags like with the snowmen. xD

8. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

I enjoyed Elf Quest, Conan the Barbarian and Far Side big_smile theres a online comic strip creator thingy too.

9. Dame Scribe profile image58

or market with rebate coupons in comics for movie tickets or dvd/blu-ray movies big_smile great points, Stevennix2001

1. profile image0

thanks dame scribe.  i like your point too about the rebate coupons.  its a shame Disney isn't already on the ball with some of these ideas, as you think they would be since they even said they want to make as much money off marvel as humanly possible.  therefore, it would make sense if they tried to market the comic books better for them.

10. Dame Scribe profile image58

I think they get so full of themselves with being associated with the glamour of such a big account like Disney hmm they forget the real world of marketing lol maybe we should email Disney direct big_smile

1. profile image0

yeah, that's a great idea.  although i don't know they're e-mail address.  lol.  do you know it?

11. Dame Scribe profile image58

Maybe we should start our own marketing partnership biz first tongue lol sorry, dont know Disney email but sure we can find it , lol

1. profile image0

yeah that is a great idea.  we should start a marketing company so that way we too can reap the awards for our ideas.  besides, it's like the Joker said in "The Dark Knight", "if you good at something, you never do it for free."  lol.  that's a great idea.  now all we need to do is figure out a way to get started.  big_smile

12. Stephan Bayless profile image59
    Stephan Baylessposted 13 years ago

They're pretty offbeat, but I like anything published by AdHouse Books in Richmond. Things like Johnny Hiro are hilarious (which also reminds me that Chew is a really funny comic too) The Aviary,Skyscrapers of the Midwest... all good ones.

As far as superhero books go, Peter David's X-Factor is consistently good, Ed Brubaker's Captain America is pretty sweet. Anything Abnett and Lanning touch is golden, so Guardians of the Galaxy and currently the Thanos Imperative (provided you like cosmic stuff, unlike Jack Flag).

On the DC side, Booster Gold is one of the best comics around. It's actually a compelling story,given that everyone thinks Booster Gold is a joke, yet he saves the multiverse on an hourly basis. And if you're not reading Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin you are insane.

Personally, I think Alan Moore is overrated and his comics need to stop being made into movies.

This just goes to show how little experience I've had in the world of comics. Thanks for all of the recommendations. I really need to get out there and start reading some of this stuff!

13. Dame Scribe profile image58

Should we start with our own emails big_smile lol

1. profile image0

good idea. big_smile lol

14. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I'm a great fan of image comics, with Savage Dragon and Spawn still being my favourites, with Witchblade and The Darkness too.

But I still collect Marvel comics, aswell as some DC titles and Sin City I have all the comic series.

With over 15,000 comics in my collection, I just have to do some reviews....!!!!

I'd love to read some reviews from you! I love Sin City and Spawn seems like a great series too, I'd love to know more about it!

15. Alaster profile image58
    Alasterposted 13 years ago

The Sandman are my favorite graphic novels. The story of beings with that kind of power is very unique.

16. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 13 years ago

I love Gaiman's Sandman too. Great story, characters, art and ambiance.

I've read the first book of Sandman and I will definitely be pursuing it further. Great stuff.

17. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I saw the movie based on the comics -- Kickass! Great movie and also inspired Obama to try and do the same thing. And as usual fail so miserably.

I really enjoyed that movie too. It's one of the better comic book adaptations. I haven't read the comics though...

18. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

the greatest Super Hero of all was clearly...

http://squawkingheadsblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/elmer_fudd.jpg

19. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I have some of that love for comics right here - I love Pogo, Elmer, Wiley Coyote and on and on - I know less about them but love all the superheros and also appreciate Japanese Anime

However, my all time favorite used to be Woody Woodpecker and I would hurry home from school every afternoon so I could catch a half hour of Woody being so delightful!

20. Jagodka profile image61
    Jagodkaposted 12 years ago

I love Watchmen and Kickass but my favorite comics/graphic novels have to be Persepolis and Maus. If you think comics are just for kids and geeky adults then I suggest you read those two.

21. iviskei profile image72
    iviskeiposted 12 years ago

I'm more of a manga fan myself, but they are essentially comic books too. Lately, I've been reading Gravitation, Skip Beat, Durarara!, and Kizuna~

I especially love Durarara! The there are a massive amount of characters, and it's interesting to see how they interact and how their separate stories tie into one larger story. It's wonderful~~

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)