Greatest Wrestlers of All Time

Jump to Last Post 1-40 of 40 discussions (123 posts)
  1. mosaicman profile image60
    mosaicmanposted 12 years ago

If there was a mythical tournament held of with wrestlers past and present, who would win and be crowned the greatest wrestler of all time.

1. gvannorman150 profile image63
      gvannorman150posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a tough question and one that I am sure will spur a debate.  Even so I would have to go with Triple H, Ric Flair and the Hulk Hogan. 

The reason I would say Triple H is the best.  He is technically wrestling today.  Ric Flair is a legend and carried WCW for many years.  Hulk Hogan is 3rd on my list because he changed wrestling into what it is today.  Hogan made it mainstream.

2. ngureco profile image80
      ngurecoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My list:

Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, The Rock, and Stone Cold Steve Austin

3. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ethel K Y Gropyadaley often Won Hands Down in more ways than one!

Ethel was HUGE in Invercargill and in Stature!

She had the reputation for her outstanding grappling techniques and for liking men in (and out of) tights! roll

Ethel K Y Gropyadaley also went down in many ways when confronted with virile young wrestlers half her age!  Her most effective pinning technique was known as a 'Quaker Hold' - similar to the Boston Crab or the Missionary Rumble, but using her thighs, knees and big toes instead of her arms! By using her Quaker Hold on her virile young wrestlers, she could leave her hands free, to text, apply makeup or just plainly molester her opponents! yikes

My vote goes to Ethel K Y Gropyadaley who never broke her stride when she broke wind, or the hearts (and other bits) of virile young wrestlers all over place! smile

Sadly Ethel K Y Gropyadaley passed away at the amazing age of 92 during an attempt by judges, to separate her from a virile young wrestler that she had pinned and just basically refused to free from her knees! The judges were later charged with shocking Ethel.. when it was found that they had used buckets of Cold Water in their attempts to separate her from the exhausted virile young wrestler! sad

Ethel K Y Gropyadaley... R.I.P and sorry about them hitting ya with the buckets.. they were supposed to empty them over ya! yikes

4. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

King Kamaka!!!

5. ImprovSpirit profile image59
      ImprovSpiritposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm a self-proclaimed "Olde School Rasslin'" devotee, and I think that wrestling changed for the worse when the days of promotional territories were killed by Mr. McMahon.  I also think that these guys could probably demolish many of today's ripped specimens (especially in a shoot match):  Bruiser Brodie, Stan Hansen, Dick the Bruiser, Abdullah the Butcher and Mark Lewin (OK, he was pretty ripped himself - the original 'total package').  I hope this wasn't supposed to be restricted to active (or even living) grapplers!  :-)

mosaicmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Stan Hansen and Dick the Bruiser, those are two of the toughest guys I've ever seen. They don't make tough guys like that, nowadays they are pretty boys.

1. ImprovSpirit profile image59

Yes, "tough guys" in the rasslin' lingo, meaning don't cross 'em, cause the "staging" might just go out the window!  I'd also put Brodie and Van Vader in the category, as well as Harley Race (turned pro mid-teens) & Roddy Piper (Golden Gloves since childhood).  Apparently the ultimate example, though he didn't LOOK as tough as a lot of other guys, was Danny Hodge.  You simply DID NOT "get over" on Hodge or your quest might be stalled by assorted dislocated body parts!  :-)

2. silkwormy profile image66
    silkwormyposted 12 years ago

The Undertaker wink

I also agree. He is able to handle any style of wrestler.

3. MissJamieD profile image55
    MissJamieDposted 12 years ago

I have to agree...Undertaker:)

4. jcmayer777 profile image64
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

That would be fun. Undertaker would be a good choice against any generation of wrestlers.

Andre the Giant in his prime, not at the tail-end of his WWE career, would be hard to beat....in fact, he never was.

1. MissJamieD profile image55
      MissJamieDposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Love Andre! Thank you for bringing him up, he was an amazing character who had amazing character.

2. mosaicman profile image60

I wonder how he would fare against today's faster, more mobile big guys. It would be interesting.

3. ImprovSpirit profile image59

Ive read that Andre was actually defeated a time or two, but there was a legend/franchise to maintain, so info was scarce.  I believe is was in Japan...?

1. jcmayer777 profile image64
        jcmayer777posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That could very well be true.  There have been multiple cases of championships changing hands, but not being officially recognized (basically erased).  This usually happens during events not televised, often as a farewell favor to a retiring superstar.

The Rockers (Janetty and Michaels) actually won the wwf/e tag team titles, but the wwe decided not to air it and acted like it never happened.

5. jcmayer777 profile image64

I have been watching wrestling since I was a kid.  I remember we moved into town when I was about 8 years old and I was introduced to cable.  Before then, all I could watch was AWA on Sunday Mornings.  Once we moved to town and had cable, I could watch Georgia Championship wrestling, The National Wrestling Alliance, World Class Championship Wrestling, World Wrestling Federation (now WWE), and some other regional promotions.

I was hooked and still am about 30 years later.

I've been hooked that long also. In fact, I'm going to see the ppv "Night of Champions on Sunday.

I'm jealous!  I'm waiting patiently for them to come back to my area.

6. mosaicman profile image60

Has anyone thought of Kurt Angle? He's beat every great wrestler of this generation.

7. gvannorman150 profile image63
    gvannorman150posted 12 years ago

To be the greatest of all time you need to be able to work in the ring and work the crowd.  This is something that HHH has done his entire career and CM Punk is starting to do now. 

Undertaker has always been a great draw, but I never looked at him as a great mic worker.  Yes he is great, but not the greatest. 

Kurt Angle has an argument.  He has been involved with some of the greatest wrestlers out there.  He can work the crowd and put on a great show. 

My wife calls wrestling soap operas for men....lol

Out of curiousity, where would you put Dusty Rhodes?  He could use the microphone better than anyone else in his generation and nobody during his era could make a crowd pop like he could....in or out of the ring.

I know he's not in the discussion of the very elite, perhaps top 5, but he'd make my top 10 or so for sure.

The only argument I'd make about the Undertaker  is that his relative lack of talking on the mic is part of what makes his character so incredible.  Remember when Kane didn't speak?  It was like he was a monster...much better than his current version, imo.

Dusty Rhodes had the "All American Appeal." He represented the average American who worked hard everday for what he got. He had that "It" factor. Unfortunately you either have it or don't. That's what helps make a legend. His mike skills can rival the likes of Flair, Hogan, Macho Man, Stone Cold, and Jericho (All Legends).  I thikn however he would struggle with the wrestlers of today who are much faster and have great aerial styles. I will say though, he was one tough S.O.B.

8. JEDiamondM profile image60
    JEDiamondMposted 12 years ago

Ok I have been watching wrestling for over 20 years...

When it is all said and done I have to say HHH wins.

Power, brains, showmanship, tactical, charisma... They guy literally has it all. In some ways it makes me wish he and Hulk Hogan were in the same generation... It would have been a great Wrestlemania match

That would have been a great match. To make things even more interesting, what if the match would have been held in a cage. That would be an instant classic.

1. JEDiamondM profile image60
        JEDiamondMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That would have made it a better draw but I dont know if it would be a better match. If you rememer Wrestlemania 2 when Hogan fought King Kong Bundy they had to construct the cage so that Hogan with his minimal athletic skills could climb the cage. My personal preference for such a matchup would be a "no disqualification" type match. (I just never saw Hogan as being the most gifted wrestler of all time... Just the best draw of all time)

I have to agree with you on those points. The one thing Hulk could do best is to play the crowd. That always makes for a good match if the crowd is rabid and in to it. It's just like a great football game (ie. Oklahoma vs. Florida St. last weekend), the crowd took the atmosphere to another level.

Lastly Hogan was able to work with just about any wrestler. He knew his limitations and worked around them. Plus, he was ridiculously strong (Slammed Andre the Giant!).

Yeah I was at that Wrestlemania when he slammed Andre. Granted the wrestlers help each other out on those slams but even still Andre was over $500 pounds!!!!

9. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

if you've been watching wrestling and you say HHH is the best ever you must of not paid attention!

I think JED said HHH would win the mythical tournament. I said the Undertaker would win the tournament. There isn't a wrestler during his career that he hasn't dominated (when they clashed) except for Kurt Angle. Remind me Optimus who would pick?

I agree with mosiacman... if my choice is such a bad choice... then who is yours?

10. profile image0
    Aka Professor Mposted 12 years ago

The best wrestler was Bruno Sammartino.Period. He held the World Wide Wrestling Federation, Heavy Weight Championship title  a record Eight Years. He is Known as the Living Legend and this link will detail why he would win your tournament!http://www.pwhf.org/halloffamers/bios/sammartino.asp

The Undertaker would beat Sammartino. Let's take the act that wrestling is fixed out of the equation. Back then wrestling was located in specific regions or territories as they called them. Bruno only wrestled in a small area in comparrison to tdays wrestlers. Todays wrestlers wrestle worldwide the best of the best. Back in sammartions day he never would have wrestled outside his territory let alone travel across the country or around the world like the guys from today do. Now no disrespect to bruno as he was always known as the living legend even when he announced for the wwf... I just don't think his abilities would compete with the strength, athletism, and showmanship of todays wrestlers.

Hogan didn't have much for wrestling skills and I doubt few would argue that.  In ring skill is such a small part of the equation though.  He was a showman.  Nobody in the HISTORY of wrestling got the reaction from the crowd that he could.

I'd love to say Ric Flair, since I think he's the greatest of all time, but in this questions, it's all about a tournament.  No way he'd win.  Unless, of course, we used our imaginations a bit.  Wouldn't Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard help him win (as they did in seemingly ever other big match he was in during the horsemen era)?

IMO - HHH isn't the greatest of all time and probably wouldn't win the tournament, but anyone that thinks he's not in the group photo of the all-time greats or wouldn't have a chance isn't paying attention.  He's arguably the best heel of his generation and his ring presence and ability to "sell" are outstanding.  Great blend of power and technical skills.  Plus, it's all imaginary, so....sledgehammer anyone?  He could cheat his way to winning a tournament just like any other.

Ten years from now, Randy Orton will be included in the discussion of the best ever or the favorite to win the imaginary tournament.

2. profile image0
        Aka Professor Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Everyone is entitled to their opinion JEDiamondM. Seeing as it is a popularity contest and not real, then we are governed by the criteria stated. If it is your way then the field becomes completely changed. If you wish to utilize your criteria then Louis Cyr , Angus MacAskill, Goliath of Gath, Samson, and Milo of Croton also have a claim to the title of Greatest Wrestler  of All Time.

I hate to get all nerdy on this conversation, I don't think it is just about popularity. It is a big factor though. If you couldn't draw huge crowds, then the company wouldn't invest their future in you.

I think if you extrapolate wrestler's results in big matches over their careers, you can guess how they would fare. The brutal style of the 60's and 70's would unfortunately have a tough time matching the high flying quickness of today's gawdy atheletes. Even the 300 lb's are quick as a cat. Just a thought.

2. JEDiamondM profile image60

Here is one that hasnt been said yet but all in all a guy that certainly deserves a invitiation to the mythical tounrey...
          Brett Hitman Hart

I agree.

11. jcmayer777 profile image64

Not trying to jack this thread, but it's along the same topic...what about tag teams?  Tag team wrestling isn't nearly as relevant as it once was, being used mostly as a way to check out younger talent or create storylines, but it's clearly a part of pro wrestling history.

I think the obvious choice is the Road Warriors, but anyone could make a case against them.  They really didn't hold the belts in their organizations that often or that long. (probably because they were such a big draw and so "over" with the fans it wasn't necessary) You could also argue that in one-night tournament format, they'd run out of gas.

Who else would have a shot?

Midnight Express? (probably Eaton and Lane)
    Steiners?
    Hall and Nash?
    Blanchard and Anderson?
    Rock and Roll Express?
    Edge and Christian?
    Dudleys?
    Hart Foundation?

This is just off the top of my head - I know there's a ton of others.  I think if it's not LOD, it's got to be the Steiners.

Wrestling has completely destroyed Tag Teams. They were as big of a draw as the singles competetors. To answer your question, the Road Warriors destroy any competition put in front of them. If they didn't win then the Steiner Bros. would be my pick. If not them then the Big Show and Kane. They have been the most dominating and fearful tag team since the Road Warriors. One great tag team that many people forget is "Doom." Before Simmons and Butch Reed were de-masked they held the WCW Tag titles for two years straight.

Good point about doom.  They had plenty of power on their side and they had a helluva run as champs.  Simmons and Bradshaw (APA) were also a good team.

I honestly blame WWE for wasteland of tag team wrestling.  They will tear apart any team if they feel there's a chance for one of the partners to shine.

If the Powers of Pain would have stayed in WCW, I bet they'd be on the list.  Unfortunately, the WWE couldn't allow them to beat Demolition for fear of "cheap Road Warrior imitation" cheers popping back up.

The Freebirds also come to mind for me (not Hayes and Garvin).

Ok because Beautiful Bobby is a relative then I have to say Midnight Express. The only tag team to hold both the world and U.S championships at the same time.
          But yeah... history will say that Road Warriors were the best.

Other notables:
          Barry Windham and Mike Rotunda
          Anyone remember Strike Force?
          How about Ivan and Nikita Koloff?
          And if you really wanna get interesting Sting and the Ultimate Warrior

The Dingo Warrior! Him and Sting, that's a blast from the past. And I loved the Midnight Express. They are one of my all time favorite tag teams. I remember when they used to wrestle in the small arena, Bobby would jump so high he'd almost hit the top of the ceiling.

You mentioned Mike Rotunda. Him and Barry were a good team. I think the Varsity Club (Rick Steiner and Mike Rotunda) was one of the best teams i've seen. Unfortunately they didn't stay together long enough to impact history.

2. jcmayer777 profile image64

My favorite version of the Midnight Express was Eaton and Lane - hands down.  I give props to Jim Coronette as well - he was really entertaining to lisent to in an interview.  The Vego-matic is still one of the best team finishers I've ever seen.

I've always been a huge Barry Windham fan (IMO the best in ring presensce,  easy to believe when watching wrestler I"ve ever seen)  He even had some 90 minute matches with Flair in the mid-eighties.  Most matches today are under 15.  Windham and Rotundo were awesome to watch in the ring.  Both men were true professionals.

Going back to singles, where do you think Magnum TA would be if not for an accident that ended his career?

He definitely would have gotten the strap. He was the next "Face" that the NWA was trying to push. What a classic between him and Tully in the cage. I personally didn't like him at the time because I was a Flair fan, but I was scared if he would have gotten the big series push against Flair.

Dusty Rhodes said in an interview that he was being groomed for the title.  He was one of my favorites at the time.  You're right - the I quit match with Blanchard was intense.  It would hold up as an outstanding match even in the faster paced action of today because of the suspense and emotion you could literally feel when it was on. 

The fueds were so much better then....they carried on for years and sometimes decades.

The Flair/Rhodes feud=Legendary. The Hogan/Piper fued=Legendary. Sting/Flair fued=Legendary.Zabysko/Bockwinkle fued=Legendary. There are plenty more!

Ric Flair/Terry Funk feud=Legendary.  Dusty Rhodes/Terry Funk feud=Legendary, especially with the "bounty" angle.

2. ImprovSpirit profile image59

To get back to tag teams for a moment - I'd like to mention:

Gene & Ole Anderson (They more-or-less wrote or re-wrote the book.)
      Ric Flair & Greg Valentine
      Dick Slater & Bob Orton Jr.
      Terry Funk & Dory Funk Jr.

...but yeah, Road Warriors & The Steiner Brothers were amazing!

I love that you brought up the Gene and Ole.  I really liked Ole and Arn as well.   They made a science out of tag team wrestling - pick a body part (usually an arm) and pick it apart.  Be willing to sacrifice yourself for the good of the team......and cheat as necessary to get the win.

Yes, Ole & Arn continued what Ole started with Gene.  Flair & Valentine used many of the same strategies, and it was aninteresting thing to watch when Ole/Gene had that long feud with Flair/Valentine.  Ole/Gene as faces was also an interesting twist!

12. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

my mother! big_smile

Klara, what are you talking about? Tell us your thoughts on wrestling.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

mosaicman, I was a tough teenager... my mother had some great wrestling moves to get to shut my mouth! lol

Now, seriously... wrestling has never been my cup of tea, but I did watch it for some time just for the show. My favorites were The Undertaker (he changed his name later on) and of course, The Rock!

Thanks for the input Klara.

13. mosaicman profile image60

No one has really mentioned "Sting." He was the franchise over in WCW. He could arguably beat almost anyone out there. He has the size, the mean streak and the experience. Does anyone think he can be the greatest of all time?

14. CyclingFitness profile image90
    CyclingFitnessposted 12 years ago

Big Daddy all the way!!

15. thelyricwriter profile image83
    thelyricwriterposted 12 years ago

I would choose Sting. He is an icon and he stayed true to WCW. I wish he would of made the leap, but it is what it is. I always liked Sting growing up and til this day. "THE STINGER"

He was great, but you know the one wrestler who had his number was..... The Great Muta! They had great matches.

1. optimus grimlock profile image60
        optimus grimlockposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ya with the green mist!!! I like sting as the surfer best then the crow!!! the stinger splash yellin he also had better matches then!!! Vader,flair,muta,luger all classic matches!!!!

The Great Muta was one of the most amazing atheletes in wrestling history.  However, the green mist was most famously (probably first) employed by The Great Kabuki.  He was cool.  :-)

16. profile image0
    ThomasRydderposted 12 years ago

My homeboy, and the WWWF champion for 11 years...Mr. Bruno Sammartino!!

Wow, it's been a long time since I heard the World Wide Wrestling Federation! WWWF. How do you think he would have faired against the quicker wrestlers, and those with the aerial attacks?

Back then, there were lots of territories.  I'd have to say the results would depend on what territory the match took place.  I do love the way wrestling evolves over time.

I read that when the Road Warriors were in the AWA slated to beat the Crusher and Baron Von Rashke, they were told not to do the press slams....which lasted about 45 seconds until Animal pressed one of them.  The older generation wrestlers apparently hated the new style.

17. optimus grimlock profile image60

those old scoffold matches in the 80's were nuts nwa and tennessee wrestling use to have them alot.

Thank God the stopped those matches. People were getting seriously hurt in them.

Jim Cornette blew out his knee falling from the scaffolding against the Road Warriors.  I doubt those types of matches would happen today in the bigger organizations, unless they made lots of alterations to the ring.

18. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

NACHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LIBREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SbP_IL0U5TU/Spb7gDWNKNI/AAAAAAAAAc4/ZKTIByCgJvM/s400/nacho+libre.jpg

19. optimus grimlock profile image60

I saw that match cornett got thrown like a rag doll. The road warriors best tag team ever!!!!

I cannot dissagree with you!

20. optimus grimlock profile image60

I do a mean dusty rhoades to lol

21. pinoy101 profile image60
    pinoy101posted 12 years ago

This brings a lot of good memories. And because of those memories, I continue to feel disappointed about how the WWE is today. I mean, today it seems like there are only about 10 wrestlers you see on Raw and Smackdown. Many titles are being neglected. Too much talk. Plus lame moves by "superstars". These are all personal opinions, of course.

Anyway, back to the topic. My top three are the Undertaker, Triple H, and Bret Hart. At the end of the day, I have to go with the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be: Bret The Hitman Hart. Special mention goes to Chris Benoit. Too bad he was not given enough opportunity.

Chris Benoit is one of the greatest of all time. I might dare put him as the greatest pound for pound wrestler of all time. Unfortunately he will forever be black-balled from wrestling because of the tragedy that happened with him and his family.

1. Johnjfernando profile image61
        Johnjfernandoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You know, up until know, I couldn't give that as one of my answers. Benoit was the best technical wrestle hands down and thats a known fact as Austin mentioned in an interview when he matched up against Benoit in the ring in technical style battle before he(austin) had that severe neck injury that forced him to change his style of wrestling. Its tough and also a really scrutinized contreversy for what Benoit did but I can only say that I remember him as a WWE wrestler by character and performer who put hard work forward to make accomplishments.

Another great personaility was Eddie Guerrerro who made me chuckle everytime with his way of fighting ghetto style.

Owen Hart is the imprint of courage and also had the heart to make his fans feel happy.

2. pinoy101 profile image60
        pinoy101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

True. I actually consider him as the best of all time. There's just something with the Rabid Wolverine that's so exciting. Unfortunately, he was not given many opportunities to compete for the world championship title. That's very sad especially if you consider how the superstars of today get their shot for the title several times in a few months.

Who'd forget WrestleMania XX when Chris Benoit won his World Championship after defeating Triple H and Shawn Michaels in a Triple Threat Match? Then celebrating his victory with his good pal Eddie Guerrero. Man, those two were great. Unfortunately, they both passed away at a fairly young age.

And oh, the Crippler Crossface remains as my favorite move of all time!

Yes! That was the wrestlemania moment i'll never forget because in real life eddie was the only person that chris turned to for any form of counseling since they were best friends thru the toughest of any journey and only had each other's shoulders to lean on when hurt mentally, physically and emotionally.

How can anyone forget the crossface.

22. Gail Anthony profile image60
    Gail Anthonyposted 12 years ago

I remember going to the Wrestleton in San Antonio to watch the wrestlers practice for their weekly matches. I knew it was a show and the greatest showmen were Killer Kowalski and Gorgeous George. There was also Mae Young, a female wrestler who I would gladly let her pin me anytime she wanted. All three are in the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame.

1. pinoy101 profile image60

Haha. Mae Young! She and The Fabulous Moolah were great!

I remember watching old footage of Killer Kowalski. He was one scary mean dude.

My dad as well as others always rave about Gogeous George. He was one of the most popular bad guys of his time.

23. optimus grimlock profile image60

ya he ran into the ring did a running closeline and the rest was history.

24. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

Depends on whether you are talking real wrestling or actors wrestling.
    In real wrestling it would have to be Dan Gable.

I'm talking about professional wrestling. I don't know what you refer to as "real" wrestling. Even then the "Olympic Gold Medalist", "It's True, It's Damn True" Kurt Angle can be brought into an argument with the Greatest Amatuer wrestlers. After all, he won the Gold Medal while wrestling with a broken neck! That's insane.

2. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Logic and I won the Prawn Trawler National Mud Wrestling Championship does that count hahaha

25. Greek One profile image63

no one was cuter than Rickey!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lQ1OHswAGt4/TRe6SvQP4nI/AAAAAAAABS4/2BKpBYOfbwA/s1600/RickySteamboat.jpg

Ric Flair referred to Steamboat several times as the greatest wrestler he was ever in the ring with.

26. Johnjfernando profile image61
    Johnjfernandoposted 12 years ago

I grew up in the attitude era and have to say that i'm greatful having fond memories of so many battles of numeroues 1st class wrestlers. I also caught a glimpse of the wcw and ecw battles to growing up. Guys that really stood out n my mind from those days were:
    -Andre The Giant
    -Macho Man
    -Hulk Hogan
    -Ultimate Warrior
    -Marty Janetty(The Rockers)
    -Goldberg

NWO, The Kliq, DX (Degeneration X)
    -Scott Hall (Razor Ramon)
    -Kevin Nash (Diesel)
    -Shawn Micheals (HBK)
    -Sean Waltman (X Pac)
    -Triple H
    -Chyna(Best Female Wrestle + 1st and only in her division to win the men's IC championship)
    -Road Dogg
    -Bad @$$ Billy Gun

-Undertaker
    -Kane (Mask)
    -Big Show
    -Stone Cold Steve Austin
    -The Rock (The Brahama Bull)
    -Kurt Angle

Best Tag Teams
    -Edge & Christian
    -The Hardy Boyz
    -The Dudley Boyz

Great Individuals (early 2000s)
    -John Cena *(Heel)
    -Eddie Guerrero
    -Chris Benoit
    -Randy Orton
    -Rhyno
    -Brock Lesnar
    -Matt Morgan
    -Dave Batista
    -Goldberg
    -Bobby Lashley

You can tell I admire a lot of these wrestlers so I'll some:

-The Rock
    -HBK
    -HHH
    -Eddie
    -Benoit
    -Kurt Angle
    -Austin
    -Goldberg
    -Hogan
    -Brock Lesnar
    -Edge & Christian
    -The Hardyz
    -Almost forgot about Rey Mysterio
    smile

Good list. TLC matches involving edge and christian, the hardyz and the dudley boyz were awesome.

Great matches with tons of action for sure.

If you never witnessed Hell in a Cell between Undertaker and Mick Foley, check it out on youtube.  Foley was thrown off the top of the cage, through the cage having a chair knock out his tooth when landed, and slamed and tombstoned on thumb tacks.  SICK - TWISTED.  Can you imagine the sheer guts ti would take to let yourself get thrown off a cage and onto a table, 15 feet below?

Yeah. I remember that. Mick Foley is really one of a kind. For some reason, the only one I can compare him with was Sabu.

2. Johnjfernando profile image61

I know! So true.smile Foley was also the only one in the history of the Royal Rumble to come in as Cactus Jack, Dude Love, Mankind. He is also a true hero because he dedicates his free time by visiting the sick kids and the ones suffering from cancer and reads to them and also shares a great sense of humour as well as dressing up as Mankind.

27. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

Since wrestling that we watch on TV is not wrestling but theatrics performed by actors, none of the people of the WWE would qualify. What one sees on the WWE programs is fake and coriagraphed moves for entertainment. If the moves performed were done in reality no one could survive the pretended brutality one observes.

I highly doubt anyone on this thread thinks it's real.  You hit the nail on the head - it's entertainment.  I can watch any sitcom on TV and people think it's fine even though it's fake.  What makes wrestling so different?

Simple and yet the most controversial answer which is going to echoed from other wrestlers, professionals and even the famous sports Doctor, Dr. Andrews. Wrestlers Take: Wrestling is predetermined, practiced extensively and is also something that is not taking lightly when it comes to imtating the moves that are down no tv such as jumping off the top ropes, doing a submission hold beyond that 'invisible wall' where you can break a person's limb.

Wrestlng is fake because in real life, these wrestlers that portray animosity towards each other are doing it through story lines. They are really close friends which is hard, not to imagine becasue they 340+ days on the road together, which is an approx of close to a year. Thats more time spent together with each other than with there own loved ones. Imagine you trying to live like that. Thats why many professional sports athletes have many personal troubles that stem from depression because they are so alone and only have each other for support, love, and companionship. This can relate to athletes in hockey, football, basketball, boxing and many more. Which is also an answer to some ignorant people on news media websites and even live interviews when it comes to simply begging the question, "But, are they not rich and set for life with all that money?" Which clever person ever said that money brings happieness and joy to someone's life? Money=financial stability as Adam Copeland/Edge noted in his book, "So you think you know me?" What brings happieness is love and togetherness and that can change anytime for some wrestlers because of the imag they have to portray from being a face/hero thats loved by all fans one night to a heel/villain thats booed, jeered, and have disgusting comments thrown at them by the same fans. Thats the most significant flaw in wrestling thats hard to define by the wrestlers who work the storylines to elicit these responses because they are human and vulnerable just as we all are but have no choice other than to do what is asked of them by the writers and directors of the skits.

Wrestling, however, is real on the other side because of botched moves that result in serious life thraetening injuries that some go through. Just ask the sports surgical expert Dr. Andrews who has more relevant experience than any regular critic does that simply stands there waiting for proof to be shoved there noses because a doctor's proof is plenty. Here are some wrestler's whose live got changed because of there dedication to entertain us:
        Dynamite Kid= wheelchaired from 40s to the rest of his life.
        Scott Hall=drinks more beer the stone cold steve austn.
        Stone Cold Steve Austin=severe neck injury that needed spinal surgery, both knees are shot and dysfunctional, beer guzzling maniac who was noted by many to have anger management problems within the presence of WWE colleagues and other staff. Which caused him to seriously revaluate his life mentally and physically that resulted him to go into acting an call wrestling a career when he could've been initially considered the best technical wrestler ever.
        Kevin Nash=blown knee which you can see live during a match back in 2002 with the 2nd runnng of NWO and was visibly in pain and agony.
        Now he is limited and also can't even wrestle and can't even pass a physical.
        Owen Hart=the most tragic incident that can never be erased and raised significant awareness of the attitude era fans that wrestlng not fake when you are supposed to carry out professionally trained stunts like that. However, Owen was not trained and also was cited by many that he was visibly nervous by that 30 ft height of being lowered to the ring by a cable. This cost his life and hurt many people that loved him because of his passing.
        Eddie Guerrero=probably the most greatest mexican wrestler to ever carry the 'Guerrero name in the WWE. He lost his life because of overdose on prescribed/non-prescribed drugs that resulted in cardiac arrest.
        Chris Benoit=secretly crazy because of injecting testosterone. he went nuts and took the lives his own family before taking his own.
        Edge=dedicated wrestle that was forced to retire early this year because of the back surgery he was given in 2004 was a success as well as the neck surgery that only gave him more time before he had to called it a career if he ever got seriously injured again like that. sadly he did.

Thats just my take on whether its fake/real. I did research study in University where we examined famous people and what some of them goes in terms of depression and tragedies and what led to it.smile

Well spoken. I think people should watch "Tough Enough" and see what agony they go through. Every season contestants have to bow out because of the injuries and the toll wrestling takes on their bodies.

The most talented wrestler of all time "The Macho Man" Randy Savage.

2. pinoy101 profile image60

Hey john! Maybe you should write a hub about this. Lol. But I agree with you. People are wise enough to realize that it's all about entertainment. Much like how others tune in to their favorite series even if it's all acting.

Do you seriously think wrestling back in the 80's and 90's wasn't choreographed? They just have the guts to call it entertainment now. There are wrestlers who are from the 90's who still wrestle and they have flourished throughout the years.

2. optimus grimlock profile image60

wtf you talk about Mick foley and you dont mention mr socko lol

lmao!smile The socko!! Hahaha...I almost forget. Especially the humour that was added when they made a story of 'the Rock and Sock Connection!' Thanks for reminding me.smile

lol! Those were good days!

3. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

Greg Valentine, Andrei the Giant, Mick Foley, Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Macho Man many more

Nacho Libre..the best!!

4. Greek One profile image63

http://www.wrestlingvalley.org/wv/02/23211/23211.jpg

5. Mikeydoes profile image43
      Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

No one brought the house down quite like Stone Cold Steve Austin...  And of course the Rock.

Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant are legendary.

Undertaker, Kane, HBK.. John Cena is a great dude.

The new cast so far is not impressing me too much. None of the wrestlers bring that same electricity that SCSA brought. Stone Cold's worst episodes had more electric endings then some of the better new ones. In my opinion.

Ya I hear you. feel sorry for those in the so called 'PG' era. Nothing probably will ever come close to the Attitude Era and anything before that.

6. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 12 years ago

I agree, the most dynamic duo was the Hulkster (brother!) and the Macho Man Randy Savage (Oooh Yeeeah!)
      Whatcha Gonna Do!?

The Ultimate Warrior was My favorite solo man

Most entertaining TT was the Bushwhackers.   smile

1. donotfear profile image85
        donotfearposted 12 years ago

I'll take Kerry Von Erich any day.

R. I. P.

It's a shame he's no longer with us.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/4527/1139908-kerryve_large.jpg

It's a shame. He was a charismatic wrestler. If he didn't injure his foot in the motorcycle accident then there's no telling where his career would have headed.

Unfortunately, he fell victim to the Von Erich curse. RIP.

2. Ryancb4928 profile image60
        Ryancb4928posted 12 years ago

looks like steroids did the job before you lol   "0

3. optimus grimlock profile image60

kamala lol. big van vader or harley race jr smile

4. manlypoetryman profile image81
        manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

"The Teenage Idol from California"

In Memory of Leo Garibaldi

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/l/leogaribaldi/01.jpg

(July 19, 1929-May 12, 2008)

5. Daffy Duck profile image61
        Daffy Duckposted 12 years ago

Brett Heart

Hulk Hogan

The Undertaker

Shawn Michaels

Andre the Giant

Samoa Joe

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
          Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is wrestling real?

If it is, I want my shot at the Taxman

6. optimus grimlock profile image60

samoa joe thats funny he shouldnt be in anyone top 20. hears a name ravishing rick rude

Samoa Joe needs to get some longevity. He may have to wrestle in more than one promotion in his career before getting this type of respect.

Rick Rude was really good, however I can't put him in the top 25.

Anybody have an idea where Lex Luger would end up?

Samoa Joe was in ROH as well as TNA.  He wouldn't make my list, but he's one of the better guys in TNA right now...even though I haven't watched TNA for a couple of months now.

I couldn't see Luger being in my top list, but he'd be on the level just below the elites, IMO.  Without making out a list, I'd guess he'd be around 25-30 for me.

I think it's hard to rank these guys.  You cannot just look at world titles like you could with boxers.  I'd go back to the Road Warriors to make my point...they held relatively few world titles compared to others because they were so big, so over, such a big draw, the promoters didn't NEED to put titles on them.

1. Daffy Duck profile image61
              Daffy Duckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just so everyone knows Samoa Joe was meant as a joke.  smile

7. optimus grimlock profile image60

luger was 3 times the wrestlers then stan hanson ever was

Anyone ever read about the match between Hansen and Vader in Japan, where Vader's eyeball legitimately popped out of its socket?

8. gvannorman150 profile image63
        gvannorman150posted 12 years ago

I have to stick with my first choice in HHH.  If you read this mans history you will learn that he lives and breaths professional wrestling.  He is destined to own the WWE someday.  He married into the first family of wrestling. With Shane deciding to pursue other venues in life, it leaves it open for HHH to take the reigns when his time comes.

Now onto other guys that will round out the top 10 of all time.

1. HHH
        2. Hulk Hogan
        3. Ric Flair
        4  Mick Foley
        5. Kurt Angle
        6. Macho Man Randy Savage
        7. Shawn Michaels
        8. CM Punk
        9. John Cena
        10. The Undertaker

Now there are arguments for other guys to be on this list.  Its just these guys have managed to stand out time and time again.  Some of them were instrumental in making wrestling into what it is today.  Others are continuing the trek to keep sports entertainment alive and interesting to watch.

Of course.  With the WWE practically running the show with little or no competition we will probably see The Miz enter the list soon.  Just because he is AWESOME!

I hate, hate, hate John Cena.  I'd say he'll eventually end up on my top 10, barring injury or an early retirement to go acting, but I don't like it.

Guys like Michaels and Undertaker are a great example of older guys that continued to stay near the top of the game, even as they aged, without making a joke of themselves.  Flair and Hogan hung around so long and probably hurt the industry.  Guys like Michaels and UT could still go, even at the end of their careers.

I'm just hoping UT can come back before Wrestlemania.  It won't be the same without him and Michaels.

The Undertaker is back for one last hoorah!

Although Hogan could not perform as well in the ring, he was able to put those butt's in the seat as a heel. The one way he hurt the profession was by not letting some of the good talent in WCW break the ceiling while he was on top.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)