Saudi women get right to vote, but can't drive yet

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP)  Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah, considered a reformer by the standards of his own ultraconservative kingdom, decreed on Sunday that women will for the first time have the right to vote and run in local elections due in 2015.
    It is a "Saudi Spring" of sorts.
    For the nation's women, it is a giant leap forward, though they remain unable to serve as Cabinet ministers, drive or travel abroad without permission from a male guardian.
    Saudi women bear the brunt of their nation's deeply conservative values, often finding themselves the target of the unwanted attention of the kingdom's intrusive religious police, who enforce a rigid interpretation of Islamic Shariah law on the streets and public places like shopping malls and university campuses.
    In itself, Sunday's decision to give the women the right to vote and run in municipal elections may not be enough to satisfy the growing ambition of the kingdom's women who, after years of lavish state spending on education and vocational training, significantly improved their standing but could not secure the same place in society as that of their male compatriots.
    http://news.yahoo.com/saudi-women-vote- … 00443.html
    they can vote if they can get someone to drive them to the election precinct?roll

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly what I thought.
      Or maybe they can vote by absentee ballot roll?

2. recommend1 profile image59
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well - it is an advance step.  Lets hope they don't screw that all up in the end by going down the stupid and divisive route that our Feminism took us ?

3. John Holden profile image59
      John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or maybe, shock horror, they can walk!!

2. John Holden profile image59
    John Holdenposted 12 years ago

It's certainly a step in the right direction and on balance, voting or driving, I think voting is the more important.
    They can always vote for the person most likely to give the right to drive.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I don't care. Enough with my own problems.

4. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

Great start and if they're ever allowed to drive the nations roads may become a lot safer. smile

5. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Eh, well at least, it's progress.

6. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 12 years ago

They should be allowed to drive UNVEILED.

1. recommend1 profile image59

Or maybe their society should decide how things should be -

imposing values from one culture onto another is the cause of more misery than the original 'issue'. 

The general principle should be to put the things in your own house in order as an example.  The western virgin or whore female model is no better.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You think my comment on this forum was intended to interfere with the Saudi's right to to decide such things? Do you think driving with head scarf and veil would be safe. Do you believe women should be allowed to drive?

I believe that Saudi society should decide what Saudi's do or do not do.  The way to make change in another society is by example.  The western 'example' is generally looked down upon by all 'other' societies, the commodification of woman and its accompanying sexual devaluation is seen as regressive.

Just putting the other side of the debate that those inside rarely get to consider smile

1. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you label equality as sexual devaluation you are chauvinistic by definition. Which is perfectly fine for any society that chooses to remain in the dark ages. They should have that right, as long as all citizens within that society agree to allow half the adult population to be treated as lower class or children.

If our western attempts had produced an 'equality' it would be fine, but it didn't.  What it produced was a confusion of female domination of other females, constant tension in society as male and female apply unworkeable laws and practices to their own transient advantage - and it changed nothing in the underlying attitude of either sex to the other.

Do not label me because I discuss these issues, I have enough of that rubbish in strident personal attacks on me because I live in China; those fools consider this must make me a commie.

1. profile image0

I label your argument as backward and chauvinistic. I do understand how difficult it must be for men to adapt, but don't present a flawed argument that dealing with the equality of the sexes is in any way our problem. It's apparently yours, and other men not ready to learn to deal with the change.

Of course it is a problem for men - they have been the dominant partner for thousands of years in almost every society, only men can 'give' equality to women and if that was happening I would support it enthusiastically, but it is not.

The underlying issue is not mine, it is how the various attempts at equality have created more problems than it has solved.  It is how feminism has been used and abused by females.

1. profile image0

Well, you are English. I've been to Britain, but I haven't lived there. So, I don't know what you are dealing with. I'm sorry that your country has not been able to resolve this as easily as America.  But, I guess I should consider myself lucky to live in a country that has moved past those types of problems.

Although, I don't know how long you've been in China. Maybe the next time you go home you'll find it's all been resolved. smile

2. Neerizzle profile image71
                    Neerizzleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How has feminism been used and abused exactly?

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"The western virgin or whore female model is no better." True but they are exceptions not the rule as in the case of Saudi Arabia."

Not so Ralph, the virgin/whore model is the underlying basis of how all women are seen in the west.  This basic division is partly responsible for why the feminist movement fails with such acrimony - a dichotomy of reason seeing equality while the subconcious sees total inequality.

3. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's definitely true. After all, Americans aren't exactly saints to say the least, so I think it's probably best to let other countries solve their own problems, as we have way too many of our own to worry about as it is.  Besides, what may seem extreme in one culture may be perfectly acceptable in another.  Not saying that I approve of the objectification of women, as I happen to consider them the smarter ones between the two sexes.  However, I do think it's best for us to solve our own problems first before we can start dictating to everyone else on what's morally sound in life.

7. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Given the option; I'd certainly grab the right to vote first. It's great that they have taken that step. And good for the Saudi leadership.

I don't think we should expect equal rights for women too quickly throughout the world. Judging by the post of one gentleman on this thread; even western societies  still have back woods philosophies by some of their citizens.

1. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I think it's useful to remember that women got the right to vote in the US less than 100 years ago. It was not an easy fight, and there are still people around who claim we shouldn't have it.

A lot of European women didn't get it until even later - the 40's for Italy and France, the 70's for Portugal, and thanks to Switzerland's direct democracy model, 1990 for one Swiss canton.

Saudi Arabia is backwards on women's rights, but not by as much of a margin as a lot of people seem to think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGyRbWIM0qg

8. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 12 years ago

Maybe the king is looking around at his neighboring dictators and figures he better do something cool or he might be next??

1. Neerizzle profile image71
      Neerizzleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Haha that's probably what it is too.

9. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Women are still viewed and treated as property in many nations of the world-even in the USA.
    Many men are threatened by women having some power over themselves.
    and I agree that the King is looking around and maybe getting a bit nervous..

10. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

I know, in the UK there used to be such a thing as 'The rule of thumb' Whereby a man was perfectly within his legal rights to hit his wife with an instrument provided it was no wider than his thumb because 'she was his property.' I'm sure it wasn't abolished until the 1950's.

1. profile image0
      lavender3957posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't like to be called someone's property as being owned. I am so against this man owns woman thing. I don't think a man has a right to hit his wife for any reason. Marriage is a bond of love, to share, be equal, and caring. I don't like to be looked at as someones property. That makes you feel unwanted. Just a joke here, so a man has a right to sell his property or trade up? haha
      Glad things have changed for women in US.

11. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

The vote has been promised to Saudi women before......... nothing happened. I'll believe it when I see it.

12. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

When Saudi women win the right to bitch at their husbands 24/7 for leaving the toilet seat up, or drinking milk straight from the carton, they will be ready to take their place among the women of the free world.

Damned straight!
      And how ya coming on that Honey Do list, anyway???

That would be a 'honey do it now !' list for Ron

Right. Do it RIGHT NOW!
          Except when the Colts are playing.
          (Us women of the free world are not as barbaric as our reputation. We are willing to strike certain bargains if the conditions favor us ultimately:))

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought she meant "honeydew".  I screw everything up...

Ha ha.
          At least you admit it.
          Saudi Men, take note: Here is a prime example of a well trained Western man.
          He may not know his melons,but he knows his place! lol

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Not true.  If there's one thing I'm an expert on, it's melons.

http://mitchieville.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/holding-melons.jpg

I stand GGG corrected.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Now THOSE are my do list.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)