WHY Rape rate is high in USA

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 87 discussions (292 posts)
  1. rizrazi profile image59
    rizraziposted 14 years ago

I came to know that the Rape as a Crime is highest in USA, Here i would like to know the views of peoples .. WHY???

1. nilum profile image62
      nilumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As well as my knowledge is concerned that USA and Other european countries show their femals which appeals males sexually
      Islam for this has a solution of HIJAB for a female to cover entire body only to show hands and face; still if a male committs rape than there's punishment also in form of Death, Is this law is applied in USA than it would surely decrease....

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The USA is not a European country. And as for Muslim countries, most of those countries choose not to publish their statistics.

You could argue that the slightly higher risk of rape is a small price to pay for not having to be seriously oppressed on a daily basis for your entire life.

1. Eng.M profile image66
          Eng.Mposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and where the oppression is if females choose to cover their bodies by themselves ?

1. tantrum profile image61
            tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do they ?? And why don't you post this on Family or politics ?? Move on !! sad

2. profile image0

The question is not whether muslim women wish to cover themselves, the question is whether western women choose to cover themselves - and they do not. If people were trying to force western women to cover up, and they did not want to, then yes this would be oppression.

If a western women goes to Saudi Arabia, and is not wearing a head scarf, would this be accepted? Because I know several western women that have been to Saudi Arabia and I can tell you that they most certainly cannot walk around uncovered.

1. Eng.M profile image66
              Eng.Mposted 14 years agoin reply to this

alright

you are right

you can't enforce somebody for your beliefs but you may ask them to respect yours

as you say in Saudi Arabia , a middle solution is always good

I have been and believe me there are a lot of uncovered women
              but of course they can't wear freely as they do everywhere because of traditional and islamic values
              I mean we live together and you can't give some people the whole freedom affecting the whole socity by thier decisions

1. megs78 profile image60
                megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

But of course, we should be expected to.  We can't even have prayer in our schools anymore because it may offend other religious beliefs, but we have been made (by supreme court) to accept the kirpan (knife) in our schools.  I just don't get it, honestly, I don't...

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
                  Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps in tryimg to please another ,we compromise our own ,not good smile

2. ABRosh profile image57
          ABRoshposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wrong! Its the other way round. Rape victims always file their cases as they remain anonymous (due to hijab) and they have very very high chances of succeeding the case (with the aid of medical evidences now). Punishments for Rapists r extremely harsh (exactly what they deserve). Moreover, women rarely travel alone. In west on the other hand, with rapes becoming order of the day, its not even consider a big deal to be reported. Hence, rape and sexual assault are two of the most under-reported crimes. Estimates show that between 50–90% of rapes go unreported. Factoring unreported rapes together with the odds of an arrest being made and the chances of getting a felony conviction, only 6% of rapists will ever spend a day in jail. In other words: 15 of 16 rapists walk free.
          https://well.wvu.edu/articles/rape_myths_and_facts

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is a ridiculous argument... Women who cover their entire bodies still get raped. It has nothing to do with what a woman is wearing...

1. darkside profile image66
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In fundamentalist Islamic states the solution for this is to stone the rape victim.

Murdering the victim helps keep the rape statistics low.

I do believe that there are times it can encourage it. That's not to say it's justified.

But just as there is premeditated murder and a crime committed in 'passion' (in the heat of the moment) I do think that it doesn't matter what a woman is wearing, they can be targeted. And in some cases an attractively dressed female can draw unwanted attention.

1. kerryg profile image83
            kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. When you can be accused of adultery and stoned to death for being raped without three witnesses to back up your story (only male witnesses count), is it any surprise that rape is rarely reported in many conservative Islamic societies? Not only that, but many girls who are raped are murdered by their own families or forced to commit suicide to save their family's "honor." Those rapes aren't reported either, and on the rare occasions the murders are, the murderers often get very minimal sentences.

And not only that, but most Islamic societies don't acknowledge the existence of marital rape. Afghanistan just passed a law giving Shiite men the right to starve(!) their wives if they refused to have sex. Sex acts performed under duress are rape, even if the victim is married to her rapist.

2. ABRosh profile image57

correction. u wrote ,"In fundamentalist Islamic states the solution for this is to stone the rape victim."- Wrong!
            Correct is, "In fundamentalist Islamic states the solution for this is to stone the rapist to death." cause the pervert committed rape even though the woman was fully covered from head to toe (leaving face and hands only) and the rapist knew of the horrible consequences of rape to the victim and to himself, here and hereafter yet he committed a crime. Needs an exemplary public denunciation.
            Victim is never punished. Her identity is fully protected and undisclosed.

2. Lisa HW profile image63
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and what a "great" so-called "solution" that one is!!!  (There's a whole lot of sarcasm and contempt in that previous sentence, in any case anyone from somewhere other than US may not realize that's what it was.)  The solution is not to raise boys into vicious, violent, out-of-control, animals who don't see women as human beings; and statistics or no statistics, I think the US and other Western countries do a far better job of that than those countries where the "solution" is to blame those "evil" victims.

Amen, sister!

Though for a minute your were attacking what I said smile I agree with what you said...

3. beautyrose profile image61
          beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm just curious. Are you married woman Uninvited Writer?

1. earnestshub profile image81
            earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's funny, I'm not curious at all. Uninvited writer is a first class human being and a good helpful kind hubber. What's the leading question for?

1. frogdropping profile image78
              frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was just thinking the same as you earnest.

That is because you are not an average frog. Green is the right color for you frog. Nice and bright! smile

1. frogdropping profile image78
                  frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Shiny and bright earnest ...

Come earnest, and sit on the fence with me. There's a reason for it and to be honest - the real world presents enough problems without getting into the mouldy old chestnuts the forum keeps regurgitating smile

But it's a moral crusade Froggy, I need to help to remove the fear and hate from the planet. Poor little planet. It could use some love too! smile

And what would that have to do with anything?

4. Daniel Carter profile image63
          Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exact-a-mundo.

Additionally, as was pointed out, in most repressed Moslem countries, such statistics will be suppressed from being published accurately to protect the sanctity of the religion. This happens in every religion, incidentally. They all have something to hide or minimize.

1. ABRosh profile image57

Apparently u know nothing abt Muslim scoeities. Rape is a something a muslim lady can never bear with and most even commit suicide. Muslim men cannot leave it unreported as its considered a major sin. Rape victims almost always file their cases as they remain anonymous (due to hijab) and they have very very high chances of succeeding the case (with the aid of medical evidences now). Punishments for Rapists r extremely harsh (exactly what they deserve). Moreover, women rarely travel or live alone. Men have responsibility to do the due. In west on the other hand, with rapes becoming order of the day, its not even consider a big deal to be reported. Women sleep with so many strangers before finally landing on to the final marriageable person, wear skimpy slut like dresses..hence, rape and sexual assaults are two of the most common things and under-reported crimes when they becomce targets of perverts. Estimates show that between 50–90% of rapes go unreported. Factoring unreported rapes together with the odds of an arrest being made and the chances of getting a felony conviction, only 6% of rapists will ever spend a day in jail. In other words: 15 of 16 rapists walk free.
            https://well.wvu.edu/articles/rape_myths_and_facts

5. profile image0
          cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it was my understanding that those women are required to dress that way to please their husbands and respect their fathers or other male figures and not to prevent rape.

and i agree, a woman's attire has nothing to do with her getting raped.

1. Daniel Carter profile image63

My understanding is the same, cosette. Dress standards of any religion are usually about the sanctity of the body, or the symbols associated with sacredness of it. It isn't about sex. However, on a more localized level, you'll probably find that there is a lot of *unwritten* codes that are not an actual part of any dogma or doctrine. It's more like a sacred superstition, so therefore, it can be construed that a way a person dresses is also indirectly about avoiding inappropriate sexual contact.

That's a long way around the park, but it is the way these things get construed in many cases.

1. profile image0
              cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, like anything there are other interpretations and adaptations splintered from the actual intent, depending on the person or group.

big_smile

3. Rhianni32 profile image69
        Rhianni32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

First off the US isnt a European country.
        Second the definition of the word rape is pretty broad. On one end its a horrible terrible thing and on the other its any sexual encounter that you later regret having.

I have to agree with dingdong. The setup for the first two posts are just bad.

4. Tom Cornett profile image80
        Tom Cornettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Using religion as a way to keep women under man's order....every rapists dream!

5. Valerie F profile image60
        Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rape has nothing to do with sexual appeal, and everything to do with people believing they're entitled to treat others as badly as they want.

Hijab has done absolutely nothing to protect women under Taliban rule- or at least the interpretation of hijab forced upon them.

1. profile image0
          Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rape is violence.  It isn't about sex; it is not the "woman's fault," ever.  Hijab forced on women is just another form of violence.

1. profile image52
            chucklinartposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To equate the Hijab with rape shows either astounding ignorance or incredible prejudice.  Muslim men are also compelled by their religion dress conservatively.

The Hijab could even be considered feminist in the sense that it respects women's beauty and asks that we treat women not as sex objects but as equals.  Yes, Islam requires that.  It's also the first religion to allow divorce -- and only a woman can initiate a divorce.

1. profile image0

Please note the words "Hijab FORCED on women" in my sentence.  Yes, that's right.  You have to read all my words...I'd prefer it...before you reference me.

Cute bringing in 'feminism,' though.  Quaint.  How'd ya know I'd 'respect' that?

2. kerryg profile image83

Men can initiate divorces in Islam, and more easily than women. I don't know where you're getting your "facts," but they're not correct.

6. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would guess that their is less of stigma attached to reporting the crime ? More women probably hide the crime as they are afraid of backwards ass zealots like you, judging them

You havent listed or referenced any stats, and I assume you are merely pulling them out of your ass.

"Women in Us should avoid getting drunk bse like a sleeping woman, a drunk woman is a real temptation"

World of the wise (that moniker is tongue in cheek right,? because that may be the dumbest thing ive ever seen in the written word, ever)

women should neither sleep nor drink, as that creates temptation?

7. mcbean profile image66
        mcbeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This common justification of the Hijab confuses me. Is the argument: Men are so unable to control themselves that women must cover themselves up. Does this mean that any woman not covering herself is "asking for it" by powerfully tempting the poor men into acts of sexual violence? If this is the argument, then every woman wearing the Hijab is advertising the moral weakness of the men in their society.
        I must admit I fail to see how this successfully ties in with any religion.

2. noserver profile image55
      noserverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

one of sign end of the world

1. profile image0

^^^one sign that hubpages is being invaded by non-english speaking muslims. There will be thousands of them on here in no time.

1. shamelabboush profile image50
          shamelabboushposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rape has everything to do with religion as it is forbidden according to all religions, and has something to do with the mentality of people and their culture. And, one country which is KSA can NOT in no means represent all the islamic world! There are billions of non-arabic muslims in the world. In the Arabic or non-arabic countries, rape is considered one of the most horrible crimes that is severely puished by people and by governments! Finally, rape knows no color, religion or race. It's ugly in all its shapes.

3. video lost profile image57
      video lostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rapes occur due to imposing the false and pagan beliefs of humanism, materialism and atheism via media, education and other resources upon innocent masses of the world.

All these pagan doctrines including the phenomanon of Freemasonry are behind promoting these things. These themes removed the fear of God from each and every indivisual due to which he / she feels un trialalbe by a superior being which in turn makes them to do any thing even rape.

Even the rapists of USA specially are free to rape again after having sentence of 2, 4 or 6 years.

it's an instinct to have sex when a lady is showing off her beauty and inviting a rapist or a moleter intensionaly or unintentionaly. You can not deny science here. Science tells us that it's a by default instict that men and women get attracted to each other, it's very natural and with in this phenomenon men play a boldly energetic and approachhing role as compared to women.

Don’t misunderstand that victims are blamed here, no. Today even boys get raped specially in western socieities and particularly in prisons. All the blame goes towards the ISM based pagan doctrines like Humanism, Materialism and Freemasonry etc which were imposed on the ordinary masses of the world. Look behind almost 200 years back, was there any bikini culture in Europe and America ??? Was the number of rapes that much higher as are today ???

4. profile image0
      j9haslettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The reason rape rates are so high in the US can be attributed to several things. First, Moral decay. Many parents do not teach their children that life is sacred. Because of the lack of religious teaching in so many homes, or very liberal teachings, people do not even respect the act of sex and reproduction. Hollywood shows half-clothed and nude women all of the time, and most television shows consistently portray relationships involving fornication as something that is "normal." Generation after generation decline in morality so that eventually no parents are teaching their children morality.

Secondly, there is a generation that I like to call the "microwave" generation. If you are hungry, grab something from the freezer, pop it in the microwave and it's done in 5 minutes. Our new generation has never learned to have to wait for what they want, they just go and get it and enjoy it immediately without learning that the best things are worth waiting for.

Finally, the biggest problem is the media.  Music, television, movies, the internet, all portray women as something to use to gratify one's needs. They are quite often scantily clothed, and women are made to feel that all they have to offer is sex. Therefore, they dress immodestly to attract males and make themselves feel wanted. The males that have been raised with no morals during the microwave generation see something that they want, and don't respect the fact that the thing that they want involves a sacred life, so they just take it.  The problem has been growing for generations, and continues to do so.

1. Migodden profile image69
        Migoddenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My balloni senses are tingling big_smile 1. There is no such thing as "moral decay" morality is first and formost built into us, it's a very useless survival trait to nt want to kill the people in your society. Secondly morality is derrived from your culture, so in retrospect there so no "better" morality. 2. Life is not sacred -.-, who is it sacred to? Is all life sacred? That's right, life is only sacred to life and if all life was sacred you woudn't boil/clean your water you would drink the germs and die. If you want to argue that human life is sacred then you are still only making an argument for survival, not of some devine value. 3. Respect the act of sexual reproduction? how? Sex is by far the most underrated part of our lives. I would much rather a group of children are exposed to sex at young ages rather than violence. Only because children are NOT exposed to sexual "education" are they uncapable of making " good choices", like I said above sex is also NOT sacred, unless you want to make the argument of survival. Well that's it for now, whadu think ;D

2. Sanctus Vesania profile image60
        Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What does this have to do with rape in the USA?  Rape has been common ever since the beginning of the world. 

To say that media is to blame for the "sudden" incline in rape is rather stupid.  To also say that the microwave generation was not taught any morals is also pretty ignorant.

1. Lisa HW profile image63

Fornication is one thing.  Rape is another.  The fact that microwave ovens have allowed for quick meals is one thing.  Rape is another.  The root cause of rape is not in the things we can see in society.  It is found in the things that happen behind the closed doors of the rapist's childhood home, that nobody ever sees.

If anything, society - in spite of outward signs of a "freer morality" - has become far more enlightened about things like rape.  It's a rare and twisted parent who doesn't teach children the difference between sex and rape.  There's a lot of things in society that I don't think are all that great, but in order for a person to be capable of committing violence on another that person has to view the victim as something less than human.  It is now known that people who victimize lack the normal empathy that "normal" people have.  Empathy is something children (at least those without brain damage of some kind) learn in the first few years of life.  It takes a whole lot more than microwave ovens or mini-skirts to create a person who is capable of committing violence on another.

5. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think you might be the victim of some propaganda here. I just did a quick search and I didn't see anywhere where the US was listed in the higher percentages. Some of the countries listed were surprising however, first world nations tend to define many more acts as rape; as opposed to second or third world countries.

I saw an article yesterday that one of the states is implementing a policy where the woman has to verbally agree to sex which gives many women much more latitude when making an accusation of rape. It almost seemed to me, as if a guy should protect himself by carrying around a contract to be signed before any physical contact begins. Is the law overkill? Maybe, but there is nothing wrong with going overboard when attempting to protect citizens.

I notice someone said Islam had an answer by making women cover up. Ridiculous; in my opinion. Men need to be mature enough to restrain themselves. Women are not responsible for men's actions. Men are.

2. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

You really have to dig into the stats to find a real number.  Numbers are often inflated to justify budget increases.  In many if not most states, a 13 year old boy who has consensual sex with a 12 year old girl will be initially charged with rape. These types of rape cases are increasing rapidly.
    The boy is not protected from police or military background searches...the rape charge will show up.
    Most violent rapes are reported but I believe that a low percentage of "Date Rapes" which are usually women drugged, are reported.
    It is really hard to pin numbers down because of political and financial promotion.

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Also, in many western countries (including the UK), sexual intercourse with somebody underaged is always considered 'Rape' in a certain form.

Remember that the age of consent in the USA is between 16-18. In the UK and most European countries it is 16.

In many Muslim countries the law varies significantly, for example.... in Saudi Arabia you just have to be married.

If I was to sleep with a 15 year old girl, I could be charged with a form of rape. I could marry that 15 year old girl in Saudi Arabia, and wouldnt be charged with rape.

Statistics are a funny thing, and can be looked at in many different ways.

Just to add to your good points, in the US (and I'm assuming other countries as well) intercourse doesn't have to be included to call some types of assault/molestation "rape".

4. dingdong profile image57
    dingdongposted 14 years ago

The OP has in profile pic - 'in the name of allah' and the immediate next post also speaks about Islam. Something fishy..?!

Sock puppets?

1. RooBee profile image83
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My sentiments exactly

5. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

What has rape to do with religion ???? yikes

1. profile image0

Because Muslims live perfect lives, and westerners are evil, durrrrrr!

1. tantrum profile image61
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh ! I See big_smile

6. Eng.M profile image66
    Eng.Mposted 14 years ago

for the OP and far from religions

I think that the society right and each individual right must be balanced.

they may overlap I guess

7. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Attire is only a portion of this issue. 

A culture's belief in the value of a woman sets the standard of how she will be treated.  In addition, the respect that a woman is give, and shown by example, affects how:
    1. she reacts,
    2. she interacts,
    3. she changes
    which all affect her confidence and self esteem.  In some cultures, it is expected that the woman not speak a word and accept.  In others, it is expected that she speak out. 

Rape is a global issue.  Some countries publish more information, which in turn puts the responsibility of stopping it in the society's hands.  Perhaps the stats are being used for good, constructive changes to the system rather than for oppressing the rights of the people.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Yes, of course we know that rape is a modern invention... never happened in Biblical times...

roll

9. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

uninvited writer, I can see why now that I look at how things are ordered there.   Oops.  smile  I shouldn't have included your post, but I was so much in agreement with you I guess I was seeing including it as "joining in your side".   Not much on these forums gets to me, but that thing about women being covered as a "solution" is one that makes a person feel as if her head is going to explode!   mad   Good luck to women who live where that kind of gross, gross, ignorance goes on.  mad

1. profile image0

I have done that a few times, quoting somebody to back up their argument - and then looking like I am arguing against them. Easy mistake to make wink

...especially when you feel like your head is going to explode.  lol

10. Uninvited Writer profile image79

True. Of course, you do get rape apologists in North America too. Even judges have been known to blame the victim.

Yeah, I did a hub on marital rape awhile back and was shocked how recently it was made a crime, and how many places, even in the supposedly progressive West, still offer significantly reduced sentences for men who rape their wives.

And that's not even going into the charming people who go on about how a woman wearing "sexy" clothing is "asking" for it. mad

1. profile image0

Although that is a sick way of thinking, there are things that women can do to increase their chances.

Young girls going out with skirts like belts, boobs spouting out over tight low cut tops, before drinking 12 bacardi breezers and popping an 'E'...... before getting so wasted that they feel invicible and will walk home from a club instead of getting a cab home at 3am in the morning.....

Well, they are almost tempting fate as opposed to a lady wearing office attire catching a bus home from work at 6pm. They certainly dont need to have their own drink drugged if they are going to drug themselves.

So in that respect, many women do leave themselves vulnerable, in much the same way that I wouldnt walk through my local park with an iPhone glued to my ear....... but would happily pull out my iPhone in a restaurant.

But of course, it can never be the fault of the victim - you are right there.

2. profile image0

When I was at the Univ. of Iowa, there was a huge basketball star who raped a girl who was on the girls' basketball team.  It was a criminal case, but the coach let him remain on the team and in school, a la blaming the victim, 'boys will be boys,' (especially athletes) mentality.

There was a big public and community outcry that the university basically sanctioned it, as they did nothing (supporting the coach)...  Fast forward, 6 or so months down the road, this 'star' also was brought up on separate sexual assault charges.

I think I know the case you mean.  It isn't just rape that people find excuses for, or think the victim is all or partly to blame.  It's all forms of abuse as well.  Unless women have black and blue faces they often can't get anyone to believe their spouse is abusive.  In fact, this doesn't even seem worthy to include in this serious discussion; but so often even if women are just saying something negative they're either "b'ing" or "whining", depending on the kind of voice they have/use.  Men can say negative things and be seen as "simply saying something negative".  We may have things like a woman as Secretary of State, but people don't realize what a long way society (even civilized society) has to go when it comes to women.

11. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

From reading this string of posts, one might get the impression that rape is a crime that can be perpetrated only against women. Men can be raped, too. Children of both sexes have been raped. It is not some kind of "female only" issue.

1. profile image0

That is very true. A large proportion of rapes are indeed against men.

The single best reason for a man to avoid prison lol

2. Lisa HW profile image63

As the mother of sons, I don't think there hasn't been a time when I haven't been aware of that, from the time they were old enough to be away from the house; and I think most people are equally aware of that.  I think the reason this thread had taken the direction of focusing on women is 1) because of the "women-covering-up" post early on; but also 2) it is a far bigger and more ever-present threat for women on the whole.

I'm not downplaying statistics related to assault on boys of all ages; and I'm not overlooking that grown men can be victims.  What I would assert, though, is that if a grown man were victimized by, say, a co-worker; there's a good chance he would have a better chance of convincing authorities and others that he was a victim than a woman may.  Again, not in absolutely all cases; but in general.

12. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Lisa - I completely agree.  And it isn't a small point... And this occurs everywhere.  In fact, you can be quite confident, and be attacked for that simply because you are female.

And I just want to say to Ryan...I've found it doesn't matter what you wear when walking down the street.  Women will be approached in a certain manner.  My home town of Omaha, NE did a TV journalism story on certain areas in downtown Omaha (a while ago).  It featured an undercover police woman in baggy sweats...she was approached and verbally assaulted, basically, repeatedly by men on the street.  Didn't seem to matter what she was wearing.

1. profile image0

Although I appreciate what you are saying, being verbally assaulted is not rape. I have been drunk and 'verbally assaulted' people before. But I have never raped anybody, of course. Verbal assault is technical talk for 'arsehole'.

I have walked out of clubs and seen women semi concious out on the street with their breasts hanging out their tops and eyes rolling into the back of their heads. Are these the women that then say "I think I have been raped, somebody has slept with me, and I cant remember it".

1. profile image0

You bring up a good point...and gray areas.  I could never speak for those women, however.  I wouldn't know.

And no, the verbal assault thing isn't rape...but it is a gauge of how society still views women, as Lisa was mentioning.  I can tell you from experience, that almost on a daily basis, normal, normally clad women are screamed at, approached with comments, etc., etc., offered 'rides.'  Some times multiple times a day.  In large towns and small towns, doesn't matter.

13. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

Ryan, I agree that everybody, male and female, should exercise some basic common sense in their lives to avoid being the victim of a crime.

But the point is that it is not the sole responsibility of women to prevent themselves from being raped. It is also the responsibility of men to control themselves.

Our society is different from Islamic societies that hide women under veils and burqas only by degree. All too often we still treat men like wild animals in heat, unable to control their lust. Men are perfectly capable of controlling themselves and behaving with the human decency required to not take advantage of a girl in tight clothes who's maybe had a few too many drinks. Some of them just choose not to, and when they do, the responsibility is theirs entirely, not the girl's.

1. Jane Dee Summers profile image60
      Jane Dee Summersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

xxxxx
      I agree!

2. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A normal man, yes. We are talking about violent sex offenders that can't be reformed and should be removed from sociaty and not allowed to return.

Castration comes to mind!

14. Lisa HW profile image63

ryankett, the problem for us, women, though, is that so many of us live with "attitudes" toward women (in small and big ways) if not from the time we're children then from the time we're teenagers, right up through old age.  (As far as those drunk women in the streets go, I don't know what their deal is; so let's leave them out of it for now.  They are/have their own problems.)

In general, though, "attitudes" towards women just run on a spectrum, that starts with the minor stuff and goes to the horrible stuff.  (This is the talk of some "man-hating feminist" either.  I had a wonderful father, two grandfathers, father-in-law, and uncles.  I have a brother who's a fine brother, nephews I love, and two sons I absolutely adore.)

The thing with the "women's issues" (as it related to mistreatment and lack of respect) is similar to how things were in the US for African-Americans before attitudes and laws changed.  There's "general crime", of which everyone may be victim; then there's "group-specific" crime, of which (in the case of African-Americans in the past, gays and lesbians today, and women from the past through today may be victims).

While all the stuff that falls lower on that spectrum than, say, rape and wife-beating may not be "violent crime"; a lot of us women, who have dealt with "attitudes" toward us all our lives (some more than others) tend see those violent crimes (and the attitudes associated with them once they've occurred) as "the high end of attitudes-toward-women spectrum."

1. profile image0

Well stated, Kerry and Lisa.

15. Jane Dee Summers profile image60
    Jane Dee Summersposted 14 years ago

The issue of rape is a serious one. In South Africa the statistics are very high, including murder.

Since I have moved to Spain, I have noticed that women wear what the want when they want. Spanish men don't even give a second look.

In SA they would get coments good and bad. It just depends on the culture of the country.

If a women dresses in a particular way and she want's to feel good or sexy, that is her right.

However, one should respect the culture of another country and cover-up, if that is what is required.

1. world of the wise profile image67
      world of the wiseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I pity those men in spain.
      In the world of the wise, men even knock themselves as they turn back to look at women.
      Sory for South Africa, i have beem there too but the situation is terrible

16. Lisa HW profile image63

...and, contrary to what the OP would suggest, the US (or other Western nations with whatever rape statistics they have) has more than its share of intelligent, decent, well-raised, men who are far ahead of a lot of other men in the world when it comes to general attitudes about, and respect for, women.  I would suggest that American (and other Western men) could teach some of the less educated, less well-raised, men a thing or two about human rights and self-control.

17. world of the wise profile image67
    world of the wiseposted 14 years ago

Because Rape is a bad act which is enjoyed by the enforcer (the person raping)

18. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

ETA, of sorts, to my earlier post. Just spent the last few minutes tracking down a post that I found very meaningful awhile back about men and rape and the culture of rape that still afflicts, to varying degrees, the entire world:

"Well, what did she expect, getting drunk like that?" isn't salt in the wound, it is the foundation of the problem. The idea that if a woman is not actively preventing a man from sticking his penis into her, he is doing nothing wrong, and hey, who can blame him, IS THE PROBLEM.

http://cereta.livejournal.com/652008.html

There are 26 pages of comments (and no, I don't expect people to read them all - I certainly haven't!) that are full of stories that will make you lose your faith in humanity and regain it again, as well as lots of general discussion. Thought some of you might find it interesting.

1. profile image0

Powerful link, Kerry.  I'm glad you posted it. 

Mostly, I'm glad to see so many smart women there who do get it.

19. Jane Dee Summers profile image60

Where are you from wise. You are indeed correct. How can we stop this terrible act. Should women take self defence classes. Should they arm themselves. How can this be stopped.

20. world of the wise profile image67

Women in Us should avoid getting drunk bse like a sleeping woman, a drunk woman is a real temptation

21. Jane Dee Summers profile image60

Don't get me wrong wise, Spanish men are cool. They are too busy looking at themselves. Joke's aside,they have a lot of respect for the fairer sex.

1. world of the wise profile image67
      world of the wiseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is what i said too madam Jane
      I just admired there coolnes

22. anjalichugh profile image69
    anjalichughposted 14 years ago
  23. world of the wise profile image67

One woman activist in my country suggested castration for the rapers

24. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Rape has nothing to do with sex and everything to do with violence!

Maybe the questions should be why violence is high in the USA?

25. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Rape is sex without consent. Violence is an incidental issue. Some consensual sexual encounters can be violent. Some rapes are achieved without violence -- only threat or coercion. It is important to distinguish lack of consent from violence. Some victims have been disbelieved because there was no evidence of violence. Nevertheless, their consent was not obtained, and a crime was committed.

Yep misuse of power-violence,i.e mental and or violence.

1. profile image0

Aya's making a legalistic point, and well taken.  I was talking about rape as violence from a cultural standpoint, as Kerry's link well illustrates.

Same as what I was saying earlier, most rape is based on power and control ,equals another form of violence.

2. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats a very reasonable position on a very horrible crime.

26. RooBee profile image83
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

In my state, rape and internet porn downloading are shockingly high (esp. for a supposed 'family values' state). My theory on this is that repression breeds perversion. This comes, too, from growing up here and witnessing the behavior of my peers. The ones raised in a 'hush-hush' family where sex was a taboo and it just wasn't talked about were -you guessed it- the wildest and most promisquous. (<--I know I spelled that wrong, so shoot me..) smile Those of us raised in a more, shall I say: 'open-minded,' home were scores more mature about such things.
    So, to surmise after much blah-blah-ing, covering up women's bodies is not the answer. To me, it would just create more pent-up frustration. Pretending something doesn't exist isn't the same as it actually not existing. (As in, claiming rape doesn't happen in certain places that obviously aren't going to disclose its statistics. Just like how Iran has no gay people....)

1. megs78 profile image60
      megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second what RooBee says...totally agree...

Me too. I have seen the same thing throughout my life.Not being open about sex creates confused and neurotic values in people. smile

2. profile image0
      Kerianneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We need clinics in America where someone could stop in and get the help they needed by having their penis and testicles removed so they could help themselves with their sexual addictions.

27. quietnessandtrust profile image61
    quietnessandtrustposted 14 years ago

I believe that if a man rapes a woman that is engaged to be married and he is caught and proven guilty, he should be executed.

Or if she is not engaged he should have to support her forever and  marry her if she is willing and he cannot divorce her.

Or if the woman is not willing to marry him, then he should be made to support her at say a high %%% of her needs.

Jail or prison is to easy. I think the deterrent is not strong enough.
    Rapists just get out and do it again!!!

If you rape a child, you are executed too!!!

I'm sorry, but that is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Rapists are violent sex offenders. (Aya, you are correct from a legal perspective that actual physical violence is not always involved and failure to demonstrate it should not be used as an excuse to grant a lower sentence or drop the case entirely, but from a cultural perspective, rape is committed by men who believe they have the right to use women however they see fit - it is power imbalance used as emotional violence at the very least.) Any woman who is crazy or stupid or ashamed enough to marry her own rapist is subjecting herself to life with a man who does not regard her as a human being. The chances that he will rape her repeatedly through their marriage and abuse her in other ways are very, very high.

And if she does not agree to marry him, but he is still required to support her financially in some way, then he will know where she is for the rest of their lives, and can find her and attack her again, perhaps even as "compensation" for the money he is being required to pay her.

28. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Jail or prison is to easy. I think the deterrent is not strong enough.
    Rapists just get out and do it again!!!

I agree with that part!

29. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

You have the worst attitude towards humanity of anyone I have seen on hubpages in the last year.
    You are the same hater you were in your previous puppet. You disgust me!

1. profile image0

Yawn...  but I'm still up. smile

Actually, I think it's total, total lack of any experience and a serious indoctrination going on with that particular one.  Enough to drive him a little crazy, if you know what I'm saying...

You may well be correct Lita, you have pretty good perception from what I know of you. smile I's only 5.40pm here.

1. profile image0

Almost 1am here, but I'm up practicing my Forex trading, smile.

But these are also, I think, the types that suicide bombers are made of, so actually, you are correct, too...  I think you derailed sneako what's his name, smile.  Made him feel bad afterwards when everyone said you were a nice guy and he was acting so rotten, lol.

I feel the biggest problem is maturity. It would be worthwhile for example if some of the more macho males I have seen attack your opinions read your hubs before making derogative statements , they could save themselves a lot of longer term embarrassment! smile it was nice of those who know me to stand up like that. smile

1. profile image0

smile  Only true.

30. earnestshub profile image81

You're very Sweet to say so. Thank you. smile and quick witted too!

31. profile image50
    shamim_socposted 14 years ago

hello,

soc as in puppet?

32. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

Too much porno. It's a billion dollar industry, and more addictive than Crack. No reasoning, the mind gets warped from dilusional fantasies they eventually have to act them out. (Take David Caradine for instance)

33. forlan profile image58
    forlanposted 14 years ago

SO many porn movies. The woman is often naked too

1. Colebabie profile image61
      Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Huh? Isn't that the appeal?

1. Sanctus Vesania profile image60
        Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not for me it isn't.

Wait.

34. lrohner profile image66
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Sorry if this is redundant (didn't read every single post in the thread), but rape is about anything BUT sex. It's about power and control. I would bet that for every 1 man that rapes a woman because he watched too much porn there are 100,000 that rape women because they feel insignificant, were ridiculed by a woman or 'their mommies didn't breastfeed them'. Let me reiterate -- it is not about sex!

That whole burqa (sp?) thing that an earlier poster alluded to is ridiculous IMHO. It doesn't stop rape. I mean, if we all cover-up our cars before we go to bed, do you think that would eradicate car theft? Maybe we can go all Michael Jackson and cover up our kids' faces when they leave the house. Maybe that will stop kiddie porn and child abduction! smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Well said and totally true.

I agree too, as IMO any form of demonizing creates what it opposes. smile

2. video lost profile image57

There is a hell of difference between a car and a human. Your state of mind is very pitiable you can not differ between them. Cars dont have dicks and vaginas where as humans do have. So Islamic Hijab is the ultimate solution.

HIJAB INCLUDES CONDUCT AND BEHAVIOUR AMONG OTHER THINGS

Complete ‘hijab’, besides the six criteria of clothing, also includes the moral conduct, behaviour, attitude and intention of the individual. A person only fulfilling the criteria of ‘hijab’ of the clothes is observing ‘hijab’ in a limited sense. ‘Hijab’ of the clothes should be accompanied by ‘hijab’ of the eyes, ‘hijab’ of the heart, ‘hijab’ of thought and ‘hijab’ of intention. It also includes the way a person walks, the way a person talks, the way he behaves, etc.

The porn comment which you made is true in increasing the number of rapes but try to look at the root problem which is that these porn industries of USA, Europe and Australia are largely supported and funded by Freemasons and Zionists. So eradicating their pagan beliefs of life which comprises of Humanism, Materialism and Evolution and by following the the 6 step key we can get rid of rapes and molestation because all the time innocent and weak (women) get oppressed and not the powerfull (men).

(1) Exposing and Degrading the false pagan dogmas of Freemasonry and Zionism largely comprising of Humanism, Materialism and Evolution life phenomenons.

(2) Presentation and Implementation of Islamic Hijab on Men.

(3) Presentation and Implementation of Islamic Hijab on Women.

(4) Encouragement towards marriage both for men and women specially just after puberty.

(5) Media and Education support for the above and for leading a healthy family wise life and not for spreading vulgarity, nudity, bikini, party and just living together life phenomenons.

(6) After all the above, if someone rapes then there must be the capital punishment (death penalty) for the rapist immediatly.

1. lrohner profile image66
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good Lord, where to start...

First, I did NOT say that porn increases the incidence of rape. Quite the opposite in fact. I would argue that mental issues, emotional problems and/or alcohol are behind most rapes. And there is no burqa big enough to stop it in any of those cases.

And where the hell do you get off talking about 'weak' women and 'powerful' men? I, for one, am a woman and I am not weak in mind, body or spirit. I do, however, know a whole lot of men that are. You say that there is a huge difference between a car and a woman, and yet you folks over there treat women like possessions. Sheesh!

Thank God I wasn't born in the Middle East. Take your Hijab, 6 key steps and ultimate solution and stick'em.

1. video lost profile image57

Yeh, you are always right. Alcohol is also one of the major causes of rapes and the top shots of alcohol business belong to Rothschilds, Rockfellers and Freemasons. Now you decide, whether eliminate alcohol or eliminate the pagan beliefs and practices of Freemasons and Zionists who encourage and propagate the alcohol thing. Remember! if you try to mess with the business of these evil followers, they will simply crush you. So it's better to grab the root cause.

Alcohol is also forbiden in Islam very strictly.

You are some what right in our treatment of women. I possess a precious dimond and i treat women more cautiously and preciously than the dimond itself. We try to take care of women more than our possessions (PRAISE BE TO ALLAH)

Um, no. The Rockfellers and Freemasons are NOT the 'top shots' (whatever that is) of the alcohol business. And the Rothschilds produce wine, but they're small, small players in the grand scheme of things. Get your facts straight. I spent 20 years in the beverage alcohol business working for THE largest beer/wine/spirits company in the world, so I do know what I'm talking about. I also sat on many industry associations, so was closely tied with all of our competitors as well. Where the hell are you getting your information?

Thank God you guys forbid alcohol. You're dangerous enough sober.

"We try to take care of women more than our possessions." And you consider that a good thing? Women throughout the rest of the world are capable of taking care of themselves. Who died and left you guys king of women?

1. Daniel Carter profile image63

LOL. Very good point.
              Implying that "taking care" of their women is like taking care of any other possession.

It might just be that there is a lot of unreported rape around the world. And that rape is actually a part of any/every society, and MAY be somewhat evenly distributed across humanity. Making it a human evil. Nothing to do with religions, nations and ethnicities. Might just be a problem most everywhere. Don't know, just sayin'.

I couldn't agree with you more.

2. kerryg profile image83

Yes. Apparently it doesn't even occur to him how insulting it is to be compared to a possession (and an inanimate one at that), no matter how valuable. roll

Women can not take care of themselves totally. And do not decieve ordinary masses for your alcohol business. It's truely a game which does not belong to Christians as a whole.

35. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I agree.

36. profile image0
    divinemercylover1posted 14 years ago

PERSPECTIVES ARE CERTAINLY DIFFERENT DEPENDING ON GEOGRAPHIC LOCALE, AND, YOU HAVE A VERY SERIOUS CONCERN THAT ABSOLUTELY MUST BE ADDRESSED WORLD WIDE. THANKYOU FOR ASKING SUCH A LEGITIMATE QUESTION.

mY EXPERIENCES ARE QUITE DIFFERENT FROM WHAT IS CONSIDERED THE NORM. I WAS A SMALL BOY AND BETRAYED BY A WOMAN, SUBSEQUENTLY, MY PERPETRATOR WAS A FEMALE FRIEND OF THE FAMILY, AND THEN SOME. sO AS i GREW I CAME TO HAVE A VERY LOW TOLERANCE FOR PROVOCATIVE AND LACIVEOUS APPAREL, EVEN IN SPITE OF WHAT SOME MAY SAY...IT GENERATES WITIHN MYSELF (SOUL) A MISERABLE FEELING AS IF SOME ONE IS TAKING FROM ME WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE BUT CLAIMS ARE MADE THAT ONE HAS THE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO EXPRESS THEMSELVES WHEN ALL ALONG I HAVE CLAIMED A RIGHT TO PRIVACY, ALSO A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT.

I AM GRATEFUL WE HAVE THESE RIGHTS IN MY HOME COUNTRY...SO ETERNALLY GRATEFUL, BUT I ALSO HAVE DISCOVERED A DEFINITION THAT I FEEL AND HAVE PONDERED FOR MANY YEARS WHICH STATES RAPE AS, "A FORCEFUL VIOLATION OF ANOTHER PERSON'S SEXUAL INTIMACY." this includes provocative and lasciveous dress and not only protects the WOMAN EVEN MORE BUT THE CHILDREN AND WEVEN AN INNOCENT MAN. IT TRULY PROTECTS ALL WHO ARE TRULY INNOCENT OF SIMPLY HAVING A BASIC AND SIMPLE LOVE OF NEIGHBOR.

AND AS AUGUSTINE STATES, "AND DO THOSE WHO IN SPIRITUAL HOLINESS LOVE THEIR NEIGHBOR LOVE ANYTHING BUT GOD IN THAT NEIHBOR? LET US THEN, LOVE ONE ANOTHER, SO THAT WE MAY ATTRACT ONE ANOTHER TO LOVE GOD IN OURSELVES BY MEANS OF LOVE." THAT IS HONESTLY ALL IT WOULD TAKE TO PUT THIS RADICAL SOCIAL INJUSTICE FOR ALL WHO ARE INNOCENT AT REST. iN OTHER WORDS, RESPECT DESERVES RESPECT. I DONT CARE WHAT THE EGOTISTICAL, CHILDISH AND SELFISH PEOPLE WHO CLAIM RIGHT TO TRUTH SAY.

IF PEOPLE COULD ONLY COME TO UNDERSTAND LOVE AS A "GIFT OF SELF" BECAUSE I WILL SAY THAT TAKING WILL NOT EVER BE COMPLETELY SATISFIED. IT TRULY IS A SHAME SOME FOLKS DONT GET IT. RAPE IS A TAKING THING, IT IS A FORCEFUL VIOLATION, IT IS A DECEPTIVE THING,
    IT IS WRONG, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. YOU DO NOT TAKE FROM ANYONE THAT WHICH HAS NOT BEEN SELFLESSLY SURRENDERED IN LOVE TO YOU. PERIOD.

MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND I PRAY GOD'S LOVE SHINES DOWN UPON YOU. KINDEST REGARDS,
    JOHN

37. lrohner profile image66
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

divinemercylover1 -- That is ridiculous. If I were violated by a man who wore a mustache, and going forward I considered any man with a mustache who came within my line of sight a violation of my privacy because it bothered me, do you really think they would pass a law banning mustaches? I also have constitutional rights, but let's not get silly.

38. Shaul Stein profile image61
    Shaul Steinposted 14 years ago

Here is the rapist caught.

Next day

What happens on day three? smile Castration I hope!

1. Shaul Stein profile image61
        Shaul Steinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is this better?

Or this?

LOLOL! Shaul, I don't care what they (or I) say about you. I do luv ya!!! smile

1. Shaul Stein profile image61
            Shaul Steinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

I am not aware of them saying anything ~
            but sometimes I do feel like
            I am being  ACKED

MMMMMMMMMMMWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

39. earnestshub profile image81

You keep posting this same stuff, what is your problem?
    Nobody shares your phobias or your closed mind view of the world except extremists like yourself. smile

Your ignorance clearly reveals that you are from DARK AGES.

40. Susana S profile image90
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

I haven't read all the posts, but I think I've got the gist of what's being written.

One reason rape statistics are probably higher in America is because more women feel able to report it. I wonder how many women in say Afghanistan would have the same confidence? I'm not even sure it's illegal there, so husbands would have the right to rape their wives without consequence and those women would not be reporting it.

It's a normal way of you kind of people to reply by saying that western countries are honest in statisticts but why they were not honest in showing off their interest based banking system which is totally a rubbish and brought the whole world towards credit crunch. So the fact is that western countries are not too honest as you claim. These statistics as is the rule are shown in less percentages and numbers. Also these stats does not include those unregistered cases which are more than the double of the reported ones. Therefore, forget about being honest in reporting. To be honest is an old way for the so called modernized westerners.

Take this as an example that a lot of rape cases in this advanced west are not reported http://hubpages.com/hub/Rape-Escape

And i am very sorry about your state of mind. You said you people are very bold enough to report some of the incidences of rapes. Tell me where the boldness lies in that ??? Instead of getting proud in reporting you people must work on the following 6 key points to get rid of it totally.

1) Exposing and Degrading the false pagan dogmas of Freemasonry and Zionism largely comprising of Humanism, Materialism and Evolution life phenomenons.

(4) Encouragement towards marriage both for men and women specially just after puberty.

(5) Media and Education support for the above and for leading a healthy family wise life and not for spreading vulgarity, nudity, bikini, party and just living together life phenomenons.

(6) After all the above, if someone rapes then there must be the capital punishment (death penalty) for the rapist immediatly.

2. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you.Yet higher rape rate is a threat to the reputation of US males.smile

41. Lisa HW profile image63

roll     

I notice, videolost, that you have no Hubs and no profile.  Does that mean you don't have any ideas worth reading?

42. profile image0
    Fountain of Infoposted 14 years ago

Actually in Islam the woman has to be just as willing and ok with having sex as the man, if she is not and she is being forced to have sex,then that is called rape. If the couple were married, then that would be called domestic rape. Anyway all I have noticed is the many misunderstandings of Islam, many people really don't choose to go and actually really read about it to get the whole truth not the bits and pieces that have been put together by either the media, or other places that have showcased it as an unjust religion. I also find it interesting that although, I read many people here have indicated and stated that the women in in Islam are opressed...then why is it that more women convert to Islam then men??

Anyway the question was about why there was such an escalation in the amount of rape victims in the U.S not about anyones religion. The comment made about Muslim women not getting raped as much as the non-Muslim woman, and how the Muslim woman is covered is because, if you look at it this way....there is a sex crazed maniac on the loose, he sees a half naked chick, and a covered chick.....who would be the victim likely to get raped? (ahh what a scenerio haha tongue  )

Anyway I really don't like stupid uneducated comments calling Muslims extremists, or any religion or people for that matter. If your going to open your mouth and say something like that(or type it for this matter) THEN GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT! Don't be going around and calling people extremists or terrorists if you don't have the knowledge and facts behind it.

43. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

I see no valid statistics presented by the original poster.  And no 'facts' presented on the part of the Muslim anti-rape (or whatever you'd want to call it) proponents concerning Hijab.

And I believe some of the posters here take issue with a certain extremist, not necessarily with Islam itself.

AMERICAN RAPE STATISTICS

Somewhere in America, a woman is raped every 2 minutes, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

• In 1995, 354,670 women were the victims of a rape or sexual assault. (NationalCrime Victimization Survey. Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Department of Justice, 1996.)

• Over the last two years, more than 787,000 women were the victim of a rape or sexual assault. (National Crime Victimization Survey. Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S.Department of Justice, 1996.)

The following BBC link shows the increasing number of bans on sex offenders which ultimately depicts innocent poison injected masses of the world specialy USA by the Pagan Dogmas of Zionists and Freemasons have got a real huge problem of sex offenders in schools from where the so called modernised and westernised leaders of the world emerge.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7301530.stm

Also have a look at the following report of the authorized organization by the name of BIO MEDICINE.

http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-ne … e-20772-2/

Besides all the above, have a look at the following

WORKPLACE RAPE STATISTICS

According to Kleiner, Brian H.
      Publication: Journal of Employment Counseling
      Date: Monday, September 1 2003
      Each year, approximately 51,000 incidents of rape and sexual assault occur in the workplace.

According to the data for 1993 through 1999 from the National Crime Victimization Survey estimating the extent of workplace crime in the United States. The report describes Average Annual Workplace Victimization of Rape and Sexual Assault is 36,500

44. Lisa HW profile image63

Fountain of info, agreed on the points about stupid, uneducated, comments; and that includes those about Americans and/or Western society in general.  There is crime in the US, and nobody pretends there isn't.  There's crime everywhere (at least anywhere where people have a certain amount of freedom).  The way some people present the US on here, though, is as if it's one big free-for-all for violent criminals - and it just isn't.  And one of my "favorite" things are those remarks about "the freemasons".  What's good for the goose is good for the gander, as they say (at least in the US they say that). 

I agree that the person who believes "covering up" prevents attacks made an uneducated, unenlightened, comment on here; but I think it's kind of good s/he did, because it helps "the world" see how SOME people really do think - and sunlight is, as they say, the best disinfectant.

For anyone interested, here's UN statistics from August 09:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_r … per-capita  Of course, as others have noted, statistics are only as good as what gets reported, what is called "rape", and whether or not any governments are hiding anything.  (We all heard the jokes about Iran's president saying there is no homosexuality is Iran.)

Also, for those who don't know what we, in Western culture, are reading/hearing, here's something that mentions a 13-year old rape victim's stoning to death.  Whether it's true or not, I have no idea. 

http://gingergazette.blogspot.com/2009/ … women.html

1. profile image0
      Fountain of Infoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Lisa,

I don't think that the U.S is like a free for all for violent criminals. I am an American- Muslim, and I know very well what its like to live here and I know that its not some crazy country with violent people running around. I like the comment that you made about"covering up prevents attack" I believe, just as you do that some people truly do think like that, just as some people think that Islam is an extremist religion. There are alot of narrow-minded people out there and yes, alot of uneducated comments are made. I highly doubt that covering yourself will SOLEY protect a woman from being raped. Many different aspects go into why a woman gets raped, and alot will have to do with the rapist, the place, the time, etc. I mean lets just say your covered, walking down an alley at 3am and there is a serial rapist on the loose......just because your covered does not mean you may not get raped.

Another thing I would like to point out is the misunderstanding between what the Quran says about alot of things, and how some countries and people tend to interpret them. There is alot of misunderstandings in that and I have noticed plenty of times where a peoples' culture clashes with religion. Some people may act according to cultural beliefs rather than their Islamic/religious beliefs.... so personally I have witnessed alot of that and I noticed alot of people are not really educated about what they talk about, or if they are not many of them are able to clearly state their thoughts in a manner where it doesn't seem offensive to an opposing thought.

The fact about always quoting USA is that

it claims to be the super power of the world,

it claims to be the 100% literate nation of the world,

it claims to be the best nation of the world comprising of best of the best desecent illegitimate boys and girls,

it claims to be Freemasonic as it's founding fathers and most of it's presidents were Freemasons or belong to any other asoteric organisation like Skulls and Bones,

it believes, practice, propagate and transfer the pagan dogmas of Freemasonry like Humanism, Materialism, Capitalism and Evolution all over the world via media and their paid mercenaries called as HONORARY MASONS.

it worships and propagates, drugs, alcohol, gambling, interest, sex, adultry, rape, night life and bikini culture.

it claims to be the peace prevailing country of the world but the fact of the matter is the atomic bombs were droped by USA, the atomic bombs were created by USA and the atomic bomb technology was first transfered by USA to other European Countries including Israel.

Regarding the rape victim as you asked IT'S FALSE, and regarding the UN, you are very well aware that UN and FBI are now considered as the world's most worst credited and dishonored organisations. So now the choice is yours whether you believe on the statistics of FBI and UN or the statistics of US Department of Justice.

WTF?! You are delusional. Although your reference to the Skull & Bone society is hilarious. Do you even know what it is?

45. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I see the idea creeping into your posts that it's the woman's fault if she gets raped because she chose to walk down a dark alley at 3am. That "serial rapist" might very well break into your house while you think you are safe.

Besides, most rapes are not stranger rapes.

Exactly.

75% of rapes are committed by a "friend" or relative of the victim.

An estimated 10-14% of women in the US have been raped by their own husbands, and the US's rate of spousal abuse is actually low by world standards, if a 2005 study by the WHO is any indication. In several of the countries where the study was conducted, as many as 50% of women reported having been beaten by their husbands and up to 59% (!) reported having been raped. (Never, ever move to Ethiopia if you're female, gah.)

46. Eaglekiwi profile image75

While I think it is totally absurd to think any woman 'is asking for it' by the way she dresses,or behaves, I do think some girls/women do need to be mindful of messages they send out.

No I am not judging anyone for being who they want to be ,but the sad reality is some men ,and it is prodominately males cannot control their emotions, anger via sex being one of them.

That having been said ,rape is violent,whether it takes place in an alley or behind closed doors ,and the sex is the manifestation of that emotion (uncontrolled).

Education is a strong advocate as I tend to think stronger deterents like prison /medication/castration is dealing with the problem after the horse has bolted ,so to speak.

47. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Well, yeah, it all happens only because of rapist, women behavior does not play any role whatsoever. By the same token, every auto accident happens only because of the side that found guilty, other side never contributes to it, sure thing. lol

Come on ladies, get real. This does not mean that victims are guilty in rape, yet this does not mean victims can do nothing to prevent rape either. smile

Nobody is arguing that women shouldn't exercise a little common sense to avoid being raped. But you can do everything "right" and still be raped and it is frankly a sad commentary on our society that so many women feel grateful if they make a couple mistakes and find themselves in a dangerous situation and do NOT get raped. Men shouldn't need to be praised for having the common human decency not to take advantage of a girl just because they can.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, absolutely, by no means I share OP sentiment on this. smile

The issue is related to the damage. If a 4 wheeler truck (rapist) strikes a bicycle (innocent victim) then the bicycle suffers a lot. Of course the victim is not blammed in any type of crime but in order to safe guard the innocent victims from any kind of damage related to rapes the following 6 point key should be implemented as soon as possible in all parts of the world.

(1) Exposing and Degrading the false pagan dogmas of Freemasonry and Zionism largely comprising of Humanism, Materialism and Evolution life phenomenons.

48. mr.neutron profile image58
    mr.neutronposted 14 years ago

we only have right, but doesn't have authority.

49. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

lets have a little less conjecture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics

referring to egypt:

Hend is one of 20,000 women or girls raped every year, according to Egypt’s Interior Ministry, a figure which implies that an average of about 55 women are raped every day. However, owing to the fear of social disgrace, victims are reluctant to report cases, and experts say the number may be much higher.

“If the Ministry of the Interior gets 20,000 then you should multiply it by 10,” said Engy Ghozlan of the Egyptian Centre for Women’s Rights (ECWR) anti-harassment campaign.

http://www.nohonor.org/?p=87

Older un statistics

http://www.uncjin.org/stats/jconvict/rapeconv.txt

Youll notice a notable absence of self reporting by muslim countries

Most of this discussion has been ridiculous

50. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

I don't believe porn contributes to rape because it's immodest, but because of how it portrays people as soulless sex objects existing solely for another person's (usually a man's) pleasure  rather than as human beings. How little or how much they wear doesn't matter, which is why rape is rampant and even allowed in Afghanistan. Covering up isn't protecting any woman there!

And I didn't know a bikini is a way of life. To me, it's just a bathing suit.

1. profile image52
      engineerwafasafiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello Sister!
      The first alternative that Islam requests to prevent from sexual assault is veil (Hejab) and it is so logical and effective way because experience has shown. You have mentioned if veil is effective way to refrain from such crime why rape is rampant in Afghanistan. First statistics of rape is Less in Afghanistan, and I agree with you that rape is done here while Afghanistan is an Islamic country and people observe veil. Look sister don’t accept what is done is in Islamic country is recommended by Islam. Those Afghans raping are by name Muslims.
      I tell another argument the highest level is sexual assault or rape is in USA and the lowest level is in Saudi Arabia because the Islamic law is applied there.
      Islam is complete resolution to refrain from such huge crime, by studying Islamic resources you can be confident. 
      Let me to tell all Afghans aren’t taking veil now in Afghanistan.

1. LeanMan profile image81
        LeanManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WOW.. how to resurrect an ancient thread!!!

engineerwafasafi you are so wrong!! The REPORTED rapes are low in Saudi Arabia!! Having worked in Saudi Arabia I have met far more women who have been raped or sexually assaulted than in any other country I have ever visited! The domestic staff are often abused and raped by the male members of the family and I know people that have just been dragged into cars and taken to be raped!
        The rapes however are rarely reported as it is often the women who are punished not the men, see the case of the woman from Jeddah who was gang raped a couple of years ago, she was given lashes for her ordeal although the husband wanted the death penalty for adultery!!
        Domestic staff are imprisoned and never allowed out, they will only receive their salary if they comply and often are the only bread winners for very poor families overseas. I have met many runaways who have been raped and abused in these ways!
        Even my wife was grabbed off the street in Saudi Arabia, thankfully she carries a knife and was able to escape!
        Female friends of mine were stopped traveling in a taxi by the police, they were put in the car and driven to a house in the mountains close to Jeddah where they were kept and raped for over a week.
        One of my Saudi friends bragged about drugging and raping a girl he picked up!
        Most of the Saudi men that I know treat women like pieces of meat and I have seen them forcing themselves onto women invited to parties - the women cannot complain as they should not be there!
        Lowest levels of rape in Saudi is a joke - it is the worst in my experience!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)