Survey on Hubwriting

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (25 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

I'm curious to know how you approach your hubwriting especially if you're doing well monetary wise.

For example: I see many hubs about 'the best coffee in San Fransicso' or the 'recent findings of the neanderthal man'

why some are interested or come across these I dont know, or more importantly, what kind of effort are they putting in?

I never thought of hubpages as a place to write long term papers like I did in college I thought of it as a place to enjoy what I write about. So, do you treat your writing as fun, research, work, or poetry?

a)fun
    b)work
    c)research learning
    d)poetry fun
    e)other -What?

Thanks for taking the survey.
    I regard mine as a combination of a+c+d

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think I do a + b + c. I enjoy researching and learning new things. The subject  always fits with something I am already interested in learning more about.

I like to help people with articles I write too.

schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

that's cool smile Does it remind you of term papers or English Writing? Maybe I need to take another class. big_smile

2. skear profile image91
    skearposted 12 years ago

I'd say my approach is mostly for fun with some research thrown into it.  If I'm not interested about a topic I can't write about it in much length.

As a result I'm sure I miss out on some great paying keywords but if I can't enjoy it then whats the point?

3. satice_j profile image69
    satice_jposted 12 years ago

I wanna say writing HubPages is great fun. Last night I spent all night on here reading and I wrote two hubs. For one, I didn't need to do research, and the other I did. Because I know about the subjects I write of, research is easy to go about and it takes little time. I'm more the creative writer/poet type so to write hubs in this area suits me best. i have fun on HubPages with my writing. Like any other time, if I don't feel like writing, you won't see me on here.

creative poet type? Do you write a lot of poetry? I think we're similar. Not just in that but in writing mostly from experience and some research smile

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I write primarily for income, but also enjoy doing it.  If a subject doesn't interest me I don't write about it - even sales hubs follow that guideline for the most part.  I've written a few sales hubs purely for profit, but don't enjoy it and won't do many more.

I also write to inform my reader - it's a great feeling to get comments that I was able to help them out.

Yes.... I love the hubs that get 100 comments. It's because they are so full of info and useful!

I bet they get alot of google hits too! smile

5. Danette Watt profile image83
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

I'd say it's a blend of a+b+e+c = so I guess all except I don't do poetry. I started here to earn money but right after I joined, Panda came along and threw everything out of whack. I like to write and am willing to learn SEO, keywords and all that, but don't write something JUST because it will bring a lot of views. In fact, I know I'm going about this all wrong, don't do any keyword search first, hardly ever post to FB (and then whine that I don't get enough views, LOL! roll

I haven't tried converting an academic paper to a hub and try to write stuff that I don't have to do TOO much research on, primarily right now as I'm trying to get 10 more in ASAP to make 50 before my 1 year anniv.

smile

6. jcmayer777 profile image63
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

I write for money most of the time, but I also write some articles just for fun.  I spend more time with keyword research than anything else - I find it very interesting.

For me the biggest challenge is staying motivated.  If I need to get into the groove I often write something just for kicks, to help me get going. 

Maybe I should motivate myself a little more...I have a list of 1,000+ keywords I'd like to target by only managed to write about 20 articles accross all sites I use this month.

I'm still new to keyword searches, would you mind refreshing my memory? smile

A list? Oh..what prompted you to write that list? What is on that list?

Great comment thx

7. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

a)

edit: In theory it should be for money but I can't quite get the hang of it.

thx for being honest! big_smile wink

8. dungeonraider profile image85
    dungeonraiderposted 12 years ago

You're nearly there, Mark.  Only three 'newbie' listings ahead of you when googling 'humor ewbie'.  I've only been here awhile and have read a bit of your stuff.  If I know the internet, its only a matter of time for you.  And it will be well-earned, no doubt.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks very much - and I'm hoping you do know the internet!

2. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

m-o-n-e-y

9. Ms Dee profile image86
    Ms Deeposted 12 years ago

Like Barbary Kay, I am an a+b+c. And no, it does not remind me of term papers because the audience is different. I find I'm writing more and more about complicated, unique topics with a simple easy to read style, wanting to impart some knowledge one might not get otherwise without heavy study and research.

that's cool

10. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

a+b+c+d+e all of the above. I write about anything that inspires me. Great survey! smile

Thanks wink smile

11. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I'd say "other".  Writing Hubs bridges a gap between my work life (writing) and my personal life (socializing, fun, etc.).  My Hubs aren't "day job" writing. They're more relaxed than that, and they give me the chance to write about whatever I want to write about.  Still, I earn here; so it's not "just for fun", by any means.  With the exception of one poem I posted a few months ago and one I was just in the mood to do a couple of days ago, I don't post poetry.  I won't write anything that requires a lot of time and research, or that would matter too much to me if it were stolen. 

Because I write Hubs in my skimmed time, I usually aim to be able to come up with each Hub from assimilated knowledge and/or personal experience in the few areas that I have some strong background/understanding in.  When it's called for, I'll find some references that back up what I've said in the Hub.  I have my set bunch of references that I can use for any number of Hubs.  I hate to waste "material" I've picked up in close to 40 years of adult life, career changes, earlier work experience, etc., so writing Hubs gives me the chance to write about stuff that "day-job" writing doesn't.

My Hubs are a big mix of whatever strikes me at the time I write one.  I guess I aim for fairly universal subjects and hope to put my own personal perspective on them in the hopes that I have something new (as far as perspective on something goes) to offer at least some readers.  Aside from that, I have a couple of personal "social-issues" agendas, so I'll write with the idea of "creating awareness" or trying to, maybe, help some people understand some other people a little better.  Then, though, sometimes I just need not to write anything serious; so I'll just write something fluffy (or else I'll write about my own experience with something like a certain type of cell phone of DVD player).  Basically, I've always seen my Hubs as a "weird, hybrid, type of writing".  hmm

I think your hubs are awesome and really well written. I sometimes wish I had that ability.

Thanks for commenting smile

1. profile image0
        Marye Audetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Money..... but I love my job. smile
        Sorry, didn't mean to quote that... hmm

12. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I would pick, a,b,c lol the $ is a bonus smile I enjoy sharing what I know and hopefully 'tickle' thoughts to ponder big_smile and not very good with the SEO, etc. hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)