How concerned are you about the world wide decline of honey bees?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (29 posts)
  1. davenmidtown profile image68
    davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

A Science magazine last month had an article that talked about the world wide decline of the honey bee.  The article went on to talk about how the French were tagging bees with micro processors to help study bees.  It was an interesting article.  Consider that 75 percent of the food the humans consume is directly related to bees and other pollinators... how concerned should we be?

1. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm very concerned - even have a few hubs discussing the problem and some counter-measures you can take to help bees.

davenmidtownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have a bee habitat... because I like to study them.  but in all the time I have been studying these bees I have only seen two traditional bumblebees.  I have seen a handful of the black carpenter bees and a lot of honey bees... Even the smaller native bees have been down in numbers.  Part of that is attributed to a decrease in native plants... but the bumblebees seem to be dying off from disease.

2. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Since bees are required for the pollenation of many plants for the plants reproduction ability including fruits and vegetables also pharma-productive plants I would be greatly concerned.

3. manlypoetryman profile image82
      manlypoetrymanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't get what all the "buzz' is about?

2. homesteadbound profile image82
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

Anytime a species is greatly reduced or eliminated there is great reason to be concerned. The ecosystem is a little less balanced than it was before its decline. And whatever is impacting it is probably impacting other things.
    And a pollinator of the food supply is very important. Not only to our food supply but to the animals' food supply  also. It will eventually have some kind of domino effect.

3. davenmidtown profile image68

What kind of local issues do you either of you attribute to declining bees in your areas or globally?  Are there measure that people can take to protect bees in their communities?

1. homesteadbound profile image82
      homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In my area, I think two of the problems are Africanized bees killing off honey bees, and the use of pesticides. I go organic personally.

2. kerryg profile image83

In my local area, I think it's mostly pesticide use and too many monocultures. In the country, it's all corn and soybeans as far as you can see, and in the towns, it's all lawns, lawns, lawns with maybe a blue spruce or Norway maple here and there. Lately there's been a bit of a craze for Russian sage and catmint in this area because they're so drought-resistant, which probably helps a bit (I know the bees loooove my catmint), but it's not enough to make a real difference.

Corn just doesn't need bees for pollunation does it?

1. kerryg profile image83

No, it's wind pollinated.

yep.

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Pesticides and or genetically modified plants?

genetically modified plants really scare me.  I am just not sure what people are thinking about when they start messing with the genetic structure of things...

Don't they use human DNA for those modifications?

5. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

I think we should be very concerned about the decline of bees. As things stand, the human race pretty much relies on them for food crops in terms of pollination, but also, as the worlds population is growing so is our demand for even more food. We need them.

It is even worse then that.  Food that we eat that is not directly attributed to pollination is going to be affected.  Beef, etc relay on pollinated crops such as  alfalfa.  Without pollinators I think we would starve to death.

6. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

Imogen French also wrote a hub about how we can attract bees into our garden. It's excellent.

Her hub is awesome!  I always plant a few attractions for pollinators.  They help a great deal.

7. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

There was an emergency a few years back in North America with a lack of bees. Australia and other countries assisted with supply of bees to ensure a proper harvest.
    I think it is a major concern.

I hadn't heard about that, that's pretty cool.

8. davenmidtown profile image68

That is true... farmers used to think a bee is just a bee... but imported bumblebees caused a huge outbreak of disease that has decimated native bumblebees to the point of near extinction.  I think the structure of how we Americans farm.. has an impact as well.  The decline now is... world wide.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I did not realise it was a problem with methodology, the story I remember was of some sort of fungus or micro organism that was wiping them out, but I have seen nothing indicating it was caused by farming methods. Interesting.

9. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

They're all hanging out in my backyard. I've got millions of them, along with butterflies.

10. davenmidtown profile image68

when farm land takes over natural landscaping... the native plants die off or are removed.  Many native bees have evolved along with the plants.  Without the native plants they can not adapt fast enough to survive.  When we as humans decided we want to plant 20 acres of tomatoes it impacts the native bees.  Farming also impacts survival of the fittest in a sense.. so weaker strains of bees are now affected by molds and bacteria.  Also the introduction of newer disease into populations that have no immunity causes a die off in both the native species and the imported species.  Add to that the freaky weather that is at least being experienced in the United States and even more disparate situations develop for bees.

11. davenmidtown profile image68

what kind of bees are they?  is there a bee farm nearby?

12. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 12 years ago

Our American honey bees are not native. Wonder about the impact of genetically altered plants that have a built in pesticide that may kill off any insects and not just target pests.

13. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

This year, of the 6 fruit trees in my backyard, NONE produced ANY fruit at all.

14. davenmidtown profile image68

I think with genetically re engineered plants the pesticide works on insects that eat the plant.  I can only imagine what it does to us.  The problem with crops like corn and soybeans is that they do not require specific pollination.   Wild bee populations evolved with native plants and as such they have specific plant requirements.  they can not adapt quickly and they die off.  There is a very fragile balance that should be maintained within all ecosystems.  As we farm more land... right or wrong... we disturb the natural ecosystems.  Without native bees and other hymenoptera, such as wasps and ants, plant predators and pests increase and the crop is effected or then sprayed with toxins that kill off the pollinating bees.   I know in my own garden this year, crop production was down at least 25%  Part of that decline can be attributed to the weather.  Part of the decline may also be attributed to an increased flowering plant selection nearby.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)