What is the scariest thing that ever happened to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (30 posts)
  1. jfay2011 profile image60
    jfay2011posted 12 years ago

My scariest thing was discovering my down syndrome son had just swallowed a pinball and a dime.  I immediately called 911.  He ended up being okay, and has never done it since.  That was when he was younger.  It was one of the most scary moments he put me through.

2. frogtalk profile image57
    frogtalkposted 12 years ago

My scariest moment was when I thought that I had committed a sin that God would not forgive. I was so scared that day I couldn't even eat, there was nothing for me to live for.

3. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

My scariest moment was when I thought I was going to get lynched at the Miccosukee Indian reservation for dating a Miccosukee man. I was leaving his house and saw a bunch of native women marching down the street in my direction with spears and all. I left the reservation in panic. Later my boyfriend called me to tell me it was Native Women's Day or Indigenous Women's Day... something like that. It was just a demonstration. They were just marching.

What an imbecile I am! roll

jfay2011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

oh my god, that's funny though.  Good thing it was just a demonstration.  My boyfriend told me that years ago either his sister or an aunt went into their bedroom and were near the bed.  Someone underneath grabbed her foot and she screamed.  Whoever was underneath got out fast and booked it out of the house and disappeared.  That had to be scary.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's scary!

Something similar happened to me, except I was at the beach, in the water, when a shark came from behind and bit my butt. I turned around and saw the shark had a snorkle and snorkeling fins! He was a quick swimmer and I couldn't catch up to slap him!

2. profile image0
        SmartyPensposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Holy God. That sounds like something from Paranormal Activity.

4. MissJamieD profile image55
    MissJamieDposted 12 years ago

Ten years ago I was in a bad car accident. My husband was driving, our two tiny children in the backseat. The other driver turned right in front of us we were going 60MPH! we broadsided him and neither my hubby nor I had seatbelts on;( we hit truck on my side, my face broke the windshield open and I had large face laceration! My face was full of glass and blood and my poor kids had to see that! They were only 2 and 3 at the time but still remember it vividly! I had to have stitches in my face, something I'd feared my entire life prior to that day, it was extremely scary! I still have a big scar on my face and herniated discs in my back that affect me greatly if neglected in the slightest;( but I'm alive! Thank God!

5. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Driving home from a wonderful day of music.

I still do not know if it was tiredness and stress (it was a bad time in my life) on my part or a fault in the car, because the car was written off beyond all diagnosis.

I was driving back into Wales on the M50 when I suddenly found myself heading towards the hard shoulder. From there, I was bounced back across to the central reservation.

Miraculously, no other cars appeared on the scene until I was trying to get mine back to the side of the motorway. Despite the car being written off, I only suffered minor bruising from the seat belt. The passenger door could still be opened. That was the moment I decided I would replace the car with another Toyota Prius. I do not wish to be in another accident, but if I am, I would prefer to meet it in a Prius!

6. couturepopcafe profile image61
    couturepopcafeposted 12 years ago

I can deal with a lot.  I have been mugged, attacked, broke, lost, stuck in the desert with a broken down vehicle, chased by Jackson Whites (albinos) in the woods a la Dueling Banjos, dealt with death, sickness, American Gestapo Police during the 60s, prison, gangsters, drugs and imposed health care; the usual things that scare people.  Oddly, the thing that scares me is a recurring nightmare that someone has stolen my Jeep.

7. Acheolis profile image59
    Acheolisposted 12 years ago

The scariest thing that has ever happened to me was when I had to walk in the woods at night down a small path to get home. I was 7 going on 8 years old.Constantly the fear would trick my ears,because of that,I can run like a cheetah today! smile

jfay2011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

that would scare me too.  Especially at a young age.  Yeah, that would be scary to find your vehicle missing.  I lock my doors at night.  And at all times.  Learned my lesson, after my purse got stolen out of my car last year.

8. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I have five that come to mind, and none of them are "knee-slappers" or party conversation, by any means.

1.  An out-of-control car was heading at us at high speed.  I was certain that there was no way I'd ever survive it.  I did.  My friend (the driver) didn't.  It happened in a flash, but when I first saw it coming I was terrified.  Then I just got resigned to the "fact" that I was about to die.

2.  When I took my kids and left my marriage their father convinced a couple of my relatives that he was "worried" about my mental state.  As a result, I ended up being picked up by the police and brought to mental health place for a few hours.  The woman was intimidating and cold, and I kept thinking that if I didn't behave absolutely perfectly I'd probably end up being kept there (and maybe drugged).  (Well, that's because she essentially kept intimidating me with reminders of how easily she could decide to "keep" me there.)  The fear didn't end once they let me go.  I kept worrying that it would happen out of the blue again.  It took a long time for me to ever feel "mostly sure" it wouldn't happen again. 

3.  When my son had surgery.

4.  When I was expecting my son and he barely ever moved.  (That went on for as long as I was expecting him, and it was after a previously disastrous pregnancy.)  I was so scared (maybe the most scared I've ever been in my life).  I didn't even tell anybody that he wasn't moving.

5.  When I having my daughter and her heartbeat slowed down so much it was clear that the nurse and doctor were pretty nervous.

I have a bunch of less dramatic "scare situations", but these are the ones that "win the prize" in my own "book of being scared".    roll  I thought twice about whether I'd share here, but with two healthy, beautiful, babies; my son's surgery going well, and my surviving the accident - all the incidents are nothing more to me now than memories of terrifying moments (or stretches of time).

(Maybe these things are why I don't like horror movies and decorate for Halloween with happy Jack-O-Lanterns, cute black kitties, and mums.  hmm)

9. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y57wCoK3h1A/Tgexjq86iFI/AAAAAAAABj0/5kDf7ElhqE4/s1600/scared_man.jpg

Evan Rogers agreed with one of my posts.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ron Montgomery, you know what's scary too?  That photo of the overweight, naked, guy (or almost naked - not sure) at the computer that you used to post but who hasn't shown up much in a long time.  lol  For an unsuspecting Hubber to be met with the likes of that picture, it was quite the scare and shock every time it happened.  smile

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've lost a little weight.  I'm off the all-cupcakes diet.

10. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5654193_f248.jpg

The day I thought of this picture and realized what I was doing when I thought about it and then had the thought that it was true...........he was watching me somehow............scared the crap out of me!!! LMAO PUN

1. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Was Jeff Goldblum trying to look like Jacko from the 'Bad' era in this photo?

1. Captain Redbeard profile image60
        Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol this photo came from the remake, "The Fly" he did with Geena Davis, not sure I spelled her name right.

11. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Being sexually violated at age 14.

12. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 12 years ago

It is a toss up between 3 separate events- 1st was getting sober.... 2nd was a sexual assault by my best friend in college and the third has to do with my kids. and although none were pleasurable events in my life- I think the fear of something happening to my kids takes the cake in my "Fear" /"Scared" moments. -
    When we first started an addition to our home, the construction workers cut a hole in the fence to get the boards in and out, I had not realized that they never repaired the fence. I had taken my kids outside to play in the yard, I had turned around trying to untangle the hose to water the flowers and grass when I heard my oldest (3 years old) giggling. I turned around to see my 2 year old and 3 year old had gotten out of the yard and were both running down the hill towards the road, as a car was headed (driving too fast) our way. I dont think I have ever moved so fast or screamed so loud in my life. The whole world went into slow motion as I ran through the yard with no shoes on-cut my arm open getting through the fence and picked one up in each of my arms about 3 feet before they got to the pavement. I cried for 20 minutes afterwards just thinking what could have happened if I hadnt gotten to them in time.(that and the glass I had stuck in my feet hurt pretty bad too).

13. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

I got married hmm:

1. H.C Porter profile image80
      H.C Porterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

NO SH*T! I cant even fathom that idea or concept without shaking in my boots...lol

14. FaithDream profile image79
    FaithDreamposted 12 years ago

The scariest thing that comes to mind is when I was in my teens. I was with a group of friends and some gang members shot at us. Two of my friends were shot..not killed but wounded. I ran through the alleys all the way to my home, my heart raced every second. I'll never forget that moment.

15. stylezink profile image72
    stylezinkposted 12 years ago

When my son had a quick onset asthma attack, he was 8 months old, and it was his first one. This would be the begining of a long history of asthma attacks and the scariest for me that he's ever had. I noticed him becoming lethargic one morning and immediately took him to the ER. Our nearest facility did not have the means to to take care of him and they rushed him off in an ambulance to the pediatric hospital. Because there are 4-5 people aboard a pediatric ambulance I could not ride along. When I called to check status they told me he stopped breathing along the way and I was in the dark for hours before I could get an update. Even when I was at the facility in the waiting room. It felt like a lifetime before they let me know he was stable and going to be okay. They worked on him for 4-5 hours before they notified me in the waiting room.

The million things that race through a mother's head during those times. I wondered if he would make it since he was so young. I'm so glad he's here today 14 years and several hospitalizations later. We now have him under control and knowledge of his triggers. I would never want to experience that feeling again. The loss of a child is the scareiest thing in the world for me.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When you have kids, every time anything bad happens to them - it's the scariest  thing ever. EVER!

1. stylezink profile image72
        stylezinkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you are right! It definitely is!

16. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.

17. KeithTax profile image72
    KeithTaxposted 12 years ago

Scariest thing? Had kids. After 17 years I'm still scared. They don't come with instruction manuals and there are no mulligan's. And what works with one child doesn't work with the other. A full-time, scary job. Especially in a world of drugs, sex, and crime.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True, 100%. And the results sometimes so unexpected. I am in a constant shock.

18. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

My first marriage was REALLY scary!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)