What are the most underrated & most overrated 1960/70s bands?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (25 posts)
  1. MickeySr profile image77
    MickeySrposted 12 years ago

I'll give my own answer after I see some of yours - I'm hoping, of course, that someone sees the 'overratedness' of the band I think is terribly overrated and sees the 'underratedness' of the band I think is terribly underrated.

1. rebekahELLE profile image83
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

hmm, I have a feeling I know which band you are going to name as overrated for the 60's. I'm probably not going to agree.. smile

I love 60's music, but certainly, without a doubt, it would be the Monkees, hmm or do they even count? lol

overrated 70's would be KISS.

underrated

60's - Zombies? their melodies were beautiful.
      70's - Uriah Heap

MickeySrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

. . . I wondering how you have an idea, or, feeling, what bands I would name and why you assume we'll disagree?

I think that The Monkees were unjustly maligned and I very much agree that KISS was overrated - those bands shoul be reversed . . . The Monkees put out some decent Pop tunes while KISS is the band that was a joke.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
          Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you too smile The Zombies should be as well-known as the Beatles.

1. rebekahELLE profile image83
          rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

'some of their songs were better arranged than the Beatles. 'She's Not There' was their debut hit in 1964 which charted at #2 in US and Canada, #12 in UK. They had a few more hits and by 1968, Time of the Season didn't even chart in UK. It charted #1 in Canada and #3 in US.

Now when you say Zombies, young people think Twilight! They were part of the British invasion of the 60's.

2. MickeySr profile image77

Ok, here's my answers, and I'm very tempted to just say 'here's the right answers' but I'm trying to remain reasonable.

I count The Rolling Stones as the most overrated band of their era. In the beginning, with Brian Jones, when they were doing "Paint It Black", "Get Off My Cloud", "Satisfaction" and that stuff they were great - when when Brian Jones died and Keith Richards and Mick Jagger took over the band's direction they turned a great British invasion Blues-based band into an overblown Pop arena show . . . listen to their live performances from the last 20 or 30 years, if not for the addition of Ronnie Wood they would be unlistenable. The Animals were better, Small Faces were better, The Yardbirds were better, Savoy Brown was way better, and The Who was (and is) a far, far better band. The Stones have a long and storied history and they have a handful of great old song - but listen to them, they simply aren't even close to 'the greatest rock & Roll band in the world'.

Now, listen to Cactus - the most underrated band of their era. Cactus was made-up from the remains of Vanilla Fudge, Mitch Ryder's Detroit Wheels, & The Amboy Dukes, so the members had already seen big success, but no one ever heard of Cactus - so they couldn't play small venues but couldn't fill stadiums, so they tried to tour with big names and open their shows. But they were so stunningly good,  Hendrix wouldn't let them open for him, Zeppelin fired them after one night, they just couldn't find anyone who let them on the same stage. After just 3 LPs they just couldn't keep going. Tell these guys don't destroy the Stones and scores of other more notable bands - turn it up all the way and listen to each of these ~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-RCAW2b … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTFJNRpc … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCBrQQlc … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2W97Tef … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSZQ-8j2 … re=related

3. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Underrated artistes I would venture would be BADFINGER and the great Blues guitarist RORY GALLAGHER.

Overrated for me would definitely be EMERSON LAKE and PALMER

4. cdub77 profile image68
      cdub77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

MickeySr:

Great question, and thanks for turning me onto Cactus.  I've enjoyed this whole discussion.

I have to premise my answer with the fact I was born in 77, so I don't know what was big or not at the time, but I do know what I love and can't understand why it wasn't bigger.

I feel Nick Drake is one of the most underrated musicians of all time, not just the time.  I think he is worth mentioning.  Also, I think Brian Eno's early solo work (Warm Jets, Tiger Mountain, Green World, Science) is some of the greatest subverted pop I've heard, Beatles included.  Robert Fripp's guitar work alone blows me away.

I won't continue to just name bands, but I do think Skip Spence is still underrated, and so are bands like Gong and Can (who is so influential it isn't even funny).

Also, your argument against the Stones helps me articulate things I've felt but just didn't know enough about them to put into words.  Thanks!

I'm totally not disagreeing with your choice of Cactus...I'm going to listen to them right now. smile

2. Alastar Packer profile image70
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

Arguably the Marshall Tucker Band for most underrated- a large selection of their hit songs are constantly played on classic rock stations- multiple platinum and gold records- still not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame- disgraceful.

Some of the bands and solo performers not yet in, or took way too long to get in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is indeed disgraceful (Darlene Love, one of the greatest voices of our time, just got in last year!? Talk about underrated.). . .

. . . what about most overrated?

3. rebekahELLE profile image83
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

oh, no real reason, I know some feel the Beatles were overrated or Led Zeppelin, but I think those bands were even much better than we knew.

I thought maybe you knew me from somewhere or thought you could tell from reading my Hubs or something - you're just saying you have a feeling that, like many others, I probably think that . . . etc - right?

I agree; I think even when asserted to be the biggest band ever, many don't realize how goof The Beatles were. Zeppelin I think was great - but Page, as a player, is overrated. As a studio producer he was impressive, but as a guitar player he was not as great as many would assert him to be. The drumming was the biggest ingredient that made Zeppelin sound like Zeppelin . . . and while Plant was good, he wasn't as good (like the best) as many assert.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

RIP John Bonham!

4. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Not a band as such, but how on Earth did David Essex achieve superstardom as a singer when he couldn't actually sing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G2lqY3Nuk0

5. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Most overrated in my opinion?

1960s - Can't think of one right now
    1970s - KISS

Most underrated?

1960s - Spanky and our Gang
    1970s - America

6. profile image0
    juliafranceschiniposted 12 years ago

The 60's and 70's was a great time for music. I think bands nowadays are overrated.

But underrated: Love

7. Alecia Murphy profile image71
    Alecia Murphyposted 12 years ago

KISS I would agree with as overrated from the 70s. I'm not sure about the 60s.

8. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

This is a GREAT topic.
    Hmmm.

Overrated 1960s
    IDK, Tiny Tim? (not a band)
    Bobby Goldsboro (not a band)

Underrated 1960s
    The Moody Blues
    Donovan (again, not a band)

Overrated 1970s
    Boston
    (I also personally dislike many of the really popular bands of the era including Doobie Brothers, Chicago, Van Halen (exception being EVH on guitar), Eagles
    Also think Steely Dan is overrated
    Oh yes and (gag me) Jefferson Starship (NOT Airplane tho!)

Underrated 1970s
    ELO
    Mott the Hoople
    And yes, KC and the Sunshine Band (hey, we've already established the Monkees were underrated, I feel that KC made a HUGE cultural impression!!!)

9. profile image0
    TTC12posted 12 years ago

Underrated:
    Be Bop Deluxe
    Automatic Man
    Canned Heat
    Rory Gallagher

Overrated:
    REO Speedwagon
    Boston
    KISS
    Supertramp

I'll stop there.

10. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

OK so I am biased, but I'd say the most under-rated band (at least by the so-called experts) is Rush.

The three members were voted 'best musicians of the seventies' - (Although I cannot find the actual article!) and have produced progressive rock for almost 40 years. Their style has adapted and changed over the years and they are seeing a resurgence with thousands of new fans after being included in several movies over the last few year and by being featured in several of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games.

Neil Peart is arguably the best technical rock drummer of all time, and all of the members are amazing musicians.

Rolling Stones has a hard time categorizing them and this often leads to them being given 'luke warm' reviews - however all of their albums have gone gold, platinum or multi-platinum.

They are one of the best live bands around and continue to rock crowds in excess of 10,000.

11. profile image0
    TTC12posted 12 years ago

Agree on Rush!   One of the best bands in the world. Seeing them in concert is a amazing experience. World class musicians all the way.

TTC12,

Shucks - you had me with underratedness of Canned Heat and your entire overrated list, but you lost me with Rush . . . they would be in my overrated column.

1. profile image0
        TTC12posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Rush just gets killed by the press. If you look  beyond the sci-fi image, you will see three of the best musicians in rock. I can see where some don't like them, though. I appreciated the talents of all musicians, whether overrated of underrated. Some just get more press than others!

12. misternatcarter profile image60
    misternatcarterposted 12 years ago

Underrated:
    Traffic, The Kinks, Santana

Overrated: Boston, Supertramp,  Blue Oyster Cult

Fleetwood Mac with Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham is overrated;  before them is underrated.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)