How can some hubbers make $100 a week and only have a few hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. jfay2011 profile image59
    jfay2011posted 12 years ago

How can this be done?  Some hubbers only have a small amount of hubs and not a lot of followers.  How can they make $100 a week when some of us who write more hubs, mind you quality stuff, use all the links, amazon capsules and still only maybe make a few bucks a month?  I would love to know the secret.  I know I've talked about some of this before, but sometimes I still don't understand it.
    I don't have a large amount of followers yet, well finally a little over a hundred this week.  And on twitter I only have about thirty to forty followers so far.  I am kind of new there, but am starting to gain an audience there a little quicker.
    Are there other good sites to spread the word fast?  Of course facebook. I'm doing that.  A little bit on LinkedIn and a few of my other blogging sites.
    I would love to hear other tricks that help.  does it just take lots of time and we eventually get there. 
    I am liking seeing a quicker rise this month, yet it is still under a few bucks.
    Look forward to hearing.

1. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A lot of it is down to topic selection (niche) and the keywords you use (traffic potential).

Making decent money from adsense or HPads takes a lot of traffic - several thousand per day at least, but some topics earn better than others. Poetry for example will earn next to nothing because it has little value to advertisers. Compare that to a topic like mortgages where advertisers will pay big bucks for clicks (leads). (Don't try mortgages it would be extrememly hard to get any authority in that area and there would be huge competition!)

When it comes to selling products through amazon or other affiliate programs, you can get away with a lot less traffic if you've pitched it right and targeted buyers rather than browsers.

2. KeithTax profile image72
      KeithTaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you hit a good topic right you can get a lot of traffic. I have several hubs that break 1,000 page views a day from time to time. Under the HP ad program I earn $10-$15 a day when this happens for that one hub. Different hubs carry the torch at different times of the year. I boils down to topic. Find a good niche and you will do well.

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not a secret.  It's like any other job/skill.  It takes education, practice and dedication.  Where people tend to short themselves is the education part.

And followers don't mean anything when it comes to earnings.  So you might as well start working on letting go of that mindset right now.  A social network is not a shopping/buying/ad-clicking audience, they are your friends.  Let go of that belief too.

1. Tiger Mom profile image59
        Tiger Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that Relache.  Dedication and patience.  It's hard, but I try not to troll my friends to click my hubs.  That way I keep them as friends.

1. Dorsi profile image88
          Dorsiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I always post my hubs on my Facebook and figure if it's something a friend is interested in they will read and if not - well that's fine. I have lots of creative friends and will click on their stuff that interests me too.

Part of being friends - being interested in what your friend is up to.

2. skear profile image91
    skearposted 12 years ago

Income is based on traffic and conversions not the number of hubs.

The majority of my traffic comes from a few top producing hubs.  If someone writes hundreds of hubs that don't bring much traffic then in the end it doesn't matter.

I'd rather spend my efforts producing a few great hubs instead of trying to get hundreds of hubs that don't bring much in terms of traffic.

Other hubbers and followers are not going to click ads or purchase items from your affiliate links.

The best value followers can provide is an occasional tweet, like, or backlink.  Personally traffic from Google is what I care about.

3. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

The account you see in the forums may be created just for the forums.  It is poossible that these hubbers have other accounts with many more hubs.  Hiding your money hubs is a good way to stop predators from duplicating the best content.

4. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

I guess it's a matter of quality over quantity. They are probably in the right niche at the right time, with the right number of backlinks pointing towards their hub. When the visitors start flooding in, I suppose the sky is the limit.

5. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Oddly, relache, I've been startled to see that social traffic can actually make a little money on Hubpages, due to impressions. It's not much, but it's intriguing me that it's possible to make any money via social (very few of my hubs are search engine optimized):

July payout  (3 hubs) - 10 cents
    Aug payout (built 7 hubs) - 75 cents
    Sep payout (built 6 hubs) - $1.10
    Oct payout (built 15 hubs) - $4.10
    Nov 1-11 (built 9 hubs) - $3.75

If you regularly post interesting or useful content, people are more likely to check out your new posts, just like a blog, as opposed to an author who posts very seldom.

However, that's clearly a pittance and a time-consuming approach compared to the amount of money one earns with sales and search engine generated traffic. With SEO, you do more setup, then the page runs on its own, attracting an audience that is targeted very specifically to what you are writing about. Social traffic is, as relache says, interested in reading, but not in clicking or buying. Someone who's looking up a specific topic in a search engine, such as comparisons of digital cameras, is far more likely to be wanting to buy or click on links that promise more information related to that topic. For that reason, pages that focus on one topic are liable to do better, because search engines will be better able to identify what the page is about and send traffic interested in that particular thing.

Writing specific, concrete, focused pages is one very simple way to improve traffic. If you talk about all sorts of different things on the same page, it might be an incredibly fascinating page, but search engines won't know what you're talking about -- what's the point?! -- and so you'll have to earn your traffic some other way.

Other tip: People search the web to DO something, to LEARN something or to BUY something. They want useful content that solves a problem, answers a question, or helps them with some task. If you're trying to get more traffic and income through your writing, then look for ways that your knowledge might be useful to someone, not just interesting.

Or, as the conversion people say, "give benefits, not just features!"

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

By either 1) being very good, or 2) lying

jfay2011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I did suddenly see that my traffic has increased to almost 600 people in 7 days, but I'm not sure if that is great.  I do see the pennies adding up a little quicker.  i don't really want to be on here to write articles about making money all the time.  I like to write what I want to write.  I'm into writing quality fiction and poetry and other informative articles.  I guess If I don't make a lot of money, I don't really care.  I just  like writing quality stuff and often, because I like writing.  It's my passion.  I think I am getting the hang of getting the right products that relate to the hubs.  I've figured that out.

7. toygurus profile image55
    toygurusposted 12 years ago

If you have a passion stick with it. Eventually, your readership will grow because you will become an authority on the subject. It could take months or years.

Otherwise, I think it all comes down to keyword research and competition analysis. You have to find keywords that get a lot of traffic and convert really well.

I am going to start spreading the hubs on some other sites too.  I'be been told digg is good.  And I've had a stream on igoogle where I can post stuff.  Suddenly realized I should make use of that.

8. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Writing more hubs can improve your chances, my first break through was when I got to about 80 hubs and by chance I chose a topic which had low competition and high searches. You could research keywords all day and still not have any luck because the competition is too high, although you should keyword research and use your initiative to choose something which is trending or that no-one else has thought about.

Last month was my best earnings month since I joined, I'm now getting 3,000 views a day.

9. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

I am still trying to learn the secrets of making decent money here!

Me too.  I am up to $2.38 today.  It's rising a little quicker this month.  Hey, I can buy a bag of chips.  Ha ha.  Of course they aren't good for you but they taste good.  Kettle cooked are awesome.  I am going to guess that by the end of the month I might make it to four.  A gallon of milk.

10. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

I have just tried a change of style and am writing about stuff I have no interest in at all in an effort to get some more money coming in! I need it and am about to go into rent arrears again which I hate doing! If I could make 100 a week here I would be so happy! Best I have ever managed is around that figure in a month and that took me over a year of posting here before that happened.
    I am glad to hear you are on the way up even if it's only by the value of a bag of chips!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)