Anybody still using Cassette

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Prokid profile image60
    Prokidposted 12 years ago

I havent seen cassettes for a very long time, Im wondering how many people still use them now.

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

sorry that was funny.

welcome to hubpages, glad your here smile

no cassettes for about 10 years, would be fun to see one again!

2. Abhaque Supanjang profile image74
      Abhaque Supanjangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I still have some, like the album of Jon Bon Jovy, Michael Jackson, sweet memory album (cassette), heavy metal and some from the album of Minang songs. I have collected them since I was in my Technical Senior High School in 1986. And they are still in good condition now, anytime I am longing for listening to them I can play them in my cassette player.

3. joejagodensky profile image61
      joejagodenskyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Gone along with albums and 8-Tracks.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I still have a bunch of my old cassette tapes in a box in my closet. I have been slowly upgrading my tapes to CDs over the years but at this rate CDs will be obsolete soon too, so this project will probably never be finished. big_smile

I don't even own a cassette player anymore but the collector/geek in me won't allow me to simply throw them away. I guess they're museum pieces at this point.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

oh my....can't imagine many...they do have a shelf life - tapes can only be played so many times....i had some stored and finally gave them the 'heave ho'

...now albums (analog), you just have to protect them and use a good needle and turntable and they'll last a long, long time...

..how 'bout 8 tracks lol

1. profile image0

lol

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  ....i'm about to trash my CDs too.....

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I still have all my cassette tapes of all my music I bought when I was younger and I have a dual cassette deck in my entertainment center, if I so choose to play said cassettes. tongue  smile

1. profile image0

roll  lol

well, well, well....I was reading an article this afternoon.....west coast

it was titled "Cassettes are hip again....Indie bands embrace cheap, collectible medium to win new fans"

Yor cool Cags..btw ....you a hipster?

The Cassette culture where i live is healthy!  big_smile

4. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5805452_f248.jpg

much better!

...what about those giant 8 tracks...

1. profile image0

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5805456_f248.jpg

definitely!

i never owned one.....2 bad....i'd luv to 'heave ho' one!  lol

yor up late....just sayin' hi...Hi!

3. LookingForWalden profile image60
          LookingForWaldenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I was a kid I thought my parents old 8 track collection were video games.

5. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I only use them in my Sony Walkman lol

...you gotta a really, really big Walkman!..

6. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 12 years ago

Let us go back even further back in time. I do not know if I am a cranked up old fool(Is this a pun!), but the joy one gets out of listening to the old vinyl 78rpms or 45s is more intense than with all the techno-savvy gadgets. May be it is the nostalgic factor working over time here, I do not know.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I used to have 78s of the Classical Symphony by Prokofiev. It was a real joy to listen to them and I miss them.

As for cassettes, amser maith yn ol (a long time ago), when I was just 19, I went on a group overland tour of Turkey in a Ford Transit bus (another activity that no longer exists). Our driver bought a couple of pop music cassettes before we left Istanbul. By the time we got back, 3 weeks later, the cassettes sounded really weird and wonky. We had another driver as well, as the original one was in jail due to running over a Turk in Izmir.

Those were the days....

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I used to work with Sergei Prokofiev's granddaughter Anastasia. Although not a classical music buff, I had the pleasure of attending a performance celebrating his birthday in 2003,(obviously he passed away a few years before) in Manchester.

2. mtkomori profile image88
      mtkomoriposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I used to own a lot of cassettes but got rid of them a few years ago, all but two or three, I think. Yes, I agree that there is joy in listening to records. You must be older than me (I'm 45), though I've definitey heard of the 78 rpm, I've never owned one/played it myself. When I was around my son's age (he's 12) the 33 1/3 rpm and 45 rpms were around a lot. My dad, being a music fan, had a whole collection of 33 1/3 rpm record albums. He was trying to teach me how to play a record by setting down the needle as the record rotates, and I was so scared trying to do it because if I didn't do it right, this howling noise would come out of the speaker! Then my dad would yell at me! But I enjoyed listening to the static sound coming out of the speaker before the first song started playing. Now, you only have to push a single button to start the music on your ipod. Also, I didn't own a record player but still wanted to listen to music at my desk so my dad got me a boombox and I was listening to the radio and occasionally recording music from the radio on to a cassette tape. I had to wait closely for the timing. I would push down the bulky, square buttons to start recording and made sure I pushed the stop button as the song I was trying to record ended. This is nothing like downloading music from itunes on to your ipod, something my daughter does from time to time. I still remember how heavy those square buttons were and the noise it makes when I push down on them. Memories...

7. Prokid profile image60

how do you mean?

8. Prokid profile image60

sorry for the how do you mean, didnt see all them comments lol, have you guys also thought about video tapes... I cant remember the last day I saw them lol

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have dozens upon dozens of video tapes. I have two video cassette recorders in my possession. smile

Prokidposted 12 years agoin reply to this

woow smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I still own a turntable and hundreds of records 78's and 45's too. lol

1. profile image0

tongue

9. davidpaul-est88 profile image57
    davidpaul-est88posted 12 years ago

Am i the only one who ues 2 record song off the radio, with cassettes?

10. DIY Backlinks profile image57
    DIY Backlinksposted 12 years ago

No but I remember 8 tracks too lol. I seen a pic once smile

11. Alecia Murphy profile image72
    Alecia Murphyposted 12 years ago

I'd go back to vinyl before cassettes. I grew up in the 1990s and I had a few tapes before finally switching to CDs and then six years ago iPods. I understand some people embrace simpler technology, but straightening the tape strings from a tape was and never will be fun to me.

12. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 12 years ago

I still have a couple of cassettes from my teenage years, I will never get rid of them for nostalgic reasons - I can't play them though as we have no tape deck, it packed up long ago.

13. QuestionMaster profile image78
    QuestionMasterposted 12 years ago

http://www.shibleysmiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/cassette-tape-and-pencil-li.jpg

1. thegamer1 profile image58
      thegamer1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a funny one! I used to make decorations using a cassate and a pencil... My mother used to get so upset!

1. TLMinut profile image60
        TLMinutposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what you used to rewind them when they got tangled up in the tape deck!
        (This is referring to the picture of the cassette and the pencil)

2. mtkomori profile image88
        mtkomoriposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is cute! Never knew there was such a connection. I thought that it would be writing down on the label (a sticker placed on the cassette)with a pencil, though I always used a pen..lol. Another thing I did was stick a pencil/pen
        into one of the holes of the cassette and rotate it several times so that the tape would move smoothly and not get stuck inside the cassette player when it was being played.

14. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 12 years ago

Yesterday I looked at all my old cassettes and decided to write the songs on a list and see which I want to try to find online to download or whatever I need to do to keep them.
    I still have videotapes and a small TV/VCR combo that works wonderfully. It's the one I used when traveling with my boys in our motorhome. Fourteen years ago.

15. LookingForWalden profile image60
    LookingForWaldenposted 12 years ago

I used to put tape over the top of my moms country tapes and record snoop and dre off the radio on them.
    I remember one time dubbing ODB over one of her like Garth Brooks or whoever and she took it with her in the car and played it.

Yeah, she was pretty upset.

Prokidposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I used to do exactly the same thing has you..fun times lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)