Close Relations with Sister-in-Laws

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. jainismus profile image72
    jainismusposted 12 years ago

In India and Pakistan, husbands have  close and lovely relations with their sister-in-laws (sister of wife). A younger sister in law is known as a half wife. This relation is  accepted by the society.

What about sister-in-laws in western countries?

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

depends if they are hot and if the wife works long hours away from home

2. cenabcn1 profile image59
      cenabcn1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Its wrong to say

3. LookingForWalden profile image60
      LookingForWaldenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying people are intimate with these half wifes ?

2. ikechiawazie profile image60
    ikechiawazieposted 12 years ago

In Nigeria, it's illegal except the husband is a flirt

1. profile image0
      icountthetimesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not entirely sure what the poster means by "lovely relations". I didn't immediately think that we meant sexual. It's good to get so many takes on this issue from all over the world!

3. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

Here it tends to differ from family to family. I don't see that there's any custom in the west that results in the husband having a special relationship with his sister in law.

1. ikechiawazie profile image60
      ikechiawazieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i agree, here in nigeria, its not encouraqged because it usually causes crises in the home

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

In my particular family (US) I'd say my sister's husband had always more seen me as a younger sister (once he'd been in the family long enough to have started to feel more a part of it).  I think the same is true with my sister and my husband.  They're friends.  Maybe they see one another as a kind of brother/sister type of thing.

That "half wife" thing seems pretty disturbing to me.  Believe me, as far as I've ever been concerned; my sister's husband has been more someone I'd see as a "friend" than even a brother.  I think in the US, as long as people mostly get along and don't hate the in-law (which happens too), the in-law relationship is its own thing - completely different from anything else.  They become family, but they're still more "friends".

(I'd find it interesting to know what those "half wives" think of their brothers-in-law thinking of them that way.)  In general, and in Western society, people are very comfortable with the idea of in-laws of the opposite sex being good friends and/or being family members. It's probably safe to say that most people in Western society would find the term "half wife" imply (at least to some extent, even if it weren't the case) an incestuous relationship.  The relationship between two spouses is considered a very unique and special one, and it would be seen as offensive to "water it down" by even thinking in terms of "half wife".   (I don't want to offend another culture.  I'm only say how it is in Western cultures.)

Here's another question:  If the sister-in-law is married and thinks of her brother-in-law as a "half husband" - how is that viewed?  Would her husband be OK with her having a half-husband?  Or, is the half-wife thing something that only the husband of a sister views his sister-in-law?

In general, in the US, the ideal is that everyone get along well and like each other well enough.  The ideal is that there not be fighting in families or that people hate each other.  That's ideal.  Ideal doesn't always happen.  It's very acceptable (and again, ideal) for a brother-in-law and sister-in-law to have what we call "a good relationship" (but with our use of the term, "lovely", in general, we don't want in-laws having too "lovely" a relationship (or seeing one another a certain way).  big_smile   To be honest, if my brother-in-law saw me as a "half-wife" I'd have to straighten him out.  lol  It's bad enough he always acted like he thought I was "a little sister" (no matter how old I ever got).  roll  Having said that, though, we've generally had a decent relationship and are friends.  smile  (I hope you see my use of humor here as good natured - and not, in any way, not respecting your different culture.)

If what you're kind of asking (in different words) is whether anyone worries about a close friendship between sisters-in-law and their brothers-in-law, no.  (although "iffy" things can/do happen at times)   In general, it's very acceptable for everyone to be comfortable with the two in-laws being good friends and nothing more.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)