My username is similar to another Hubber's - what should I do?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Cardia profile image75
    Cardiaposted 12 years ago

I just went to Google to search my URL (cardia.hubpages.com) to see how it ranks, and I noticed that articles and other things by another Hubber who has a really similar name to mine (she has an extra letter in it)is showing up, and not mine at all.

I was just wondering if this would hurt my incoming traffic? would it? I've already put a lot of work into this account.

Thanks!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Internet is vast, there will likely be thousands of Internet writers with names the same or similar to yours. I honestly wouldn't worry about it as it is very unlikely to effect your viewing figures unless you write on exactly the same topics.

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Search this instead - site:http://cardia.hubpages.com - yes cardisa is coming up before you if a search is made for your exact username. I suppose that is because cardisa has a lot more hubs than you and is therefore more prominent. I would be annoyed if I were you because Google search is not supposed to find cardisa before you, because she has the extra letter. (Google should find both cardia and cardisa on the same search, if they searched for cardisa, but should find only you for cardia because the 's' wasn't part of the search).

But no it makes no difference at all to your hub rankings, as no-one searches for them by your username (unless it's your mother or something). Everyone else will find them through their keywords.

3. wordscribe43 profile image89
      wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa, you mean?  I always get you two confused.

That said, I don't think it's going to affect your earnings or traffic.

4. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In the beginning I used to get confused between you and Cardisa but now I know you'll both. No it won't effect your earnings because people aren't going to search for your name. They're going to search for your hubs

2. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

I have actually been contacted by someone using the same user name elsewhere for their website that claimed copyright over the user name - but thankfully you cannot copyright a name or a domain name - so don't worry!

And who would search for cardia? (I didn't mean that as a your not a good writter or anything!) They will search for something that forms the content of one of your hubs and find your writing that way - people will go to serps to ask "where can I buy a new bikini for my Austrian Dachshund fritz", not lets search for "cardia" or "leanman" or "izzym" or any other user name on here - now if your name was famous maybe that would be different - but if you were famous would you be on here?

Concentrate on ranking your keywords in your hubs not your user name, it will rank all by itself if you have lots of good performing hubs..

Brilliant, I laughed out loud over this example lol

3. tussin profile image55
    tussinposted 12 years ago

Since you have very few hubs on this account, why don't you create a new account with a username that you have tested in Google first.  The user Cardisa has a much older account with many more and much older hubs.  It's probably not worth your time to try to outrank her for your HP name.

4. Cardia profile image75
    Cardiaposted 12 years ago

Thanks for all the replies!
    It was a total coincidence! When I was coming up with a username, I used a short combo of my first and middle names (Carla and Diandra)
    To be honest, while my account doesn't have a lot of Hubs, I have put a lot of work into it, so I have my first three accolades, plus followers and comments.

5. Cassie Smith profile image61
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

I think you should change it while you have less than ten hubs.  Cardia and Cardisa is too close and I would think in a google search, could draw potential readers to someone else.  I have a very common name. It sucks that there are a lot of Smiths.  However, I don't write a lot of hubs so I'm okay with it.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Cassie this is nonsense, having a similar name to someone else on HP makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. Please don't offer out bad advice to hubbers.

1. Cassie Smith profile image61
        Cassie Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't see how this is bad advice.  Your hub name is essentially your brand name.  If it's too close to someone else's and they're more popular, it could draw away your traffic if someone is doing a search.

1. IzzyM profile image87

But this is the point - no-one will search for your username outside of Hubpages. Our target market is the search engines.
          Cardia has earned her first accolades and she is rightly proud of them. To start again would mean losing them, and for what?

1. Cassie Smith profile image61
            Cassie Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Once you have built up a presence on hubpages and you have many hubs, people will know you by your hubname.  It becomes your brand name.  There have been times when I have looked for a recipe that I knew habee had and I typed in habee and her name is first on google. That's why she should reconsider her hubname while her stock of hubs is less than ten.  She can easily gain her accolades back under a new name.

Just say a hubber has 2000 followers (of which probably only a relatively small percentage are 'genuine' and who actually read their hubs), but Google has millions of people who are searching by question or subject! What I am trying to say is that nice though it is to have followers or readers here on HP, they are a miniscule dot in terms of your traffic, and if they want to read your stuff they will probably catch it in the daily email from HP. Therefore 'brand name' here on HP is essentially not all that important when you think about it. Even as a hubber I never start my search for info on Hubpages, I always do a Google search for the subject I am looking for, not the author whose work I like, (and if I like them that much I will easily spot the difference between a 'Cardia' and a 'Cardisa' if their name pops up in a search result). Not forgetting what I said earlier in the comments, which is that on the Internet there are going to be literally hundreds if not thousands of writers with the same or similar names to yours. The best bet is to stick with the name you have chosen and make sure you write well enough to get decent traffic the old fashioned way, through talent!

6. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Apparently there is user Writeangle, who joined 23 months ago and has no hubs.

Searching WriteAngled on Google reveals a couple of sites starting from page 2, but nothing that would get me worried. I have enough page 1 stuff to catch anyone searching on this ID (not that I particularly expect anyone to do so)

1. IzzyM profile image87

I did  a hub search for my name using just Izzy that most folk know me as, and I don't exist.

7. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 12 years ago

unless you and Cardisa are writing on the same subjects, no problems!  If you are writing on similar subjects (that would come up ina search) then change your name - since Cardisa was here first.

1. IzzyM profile image87

They could even write on similar topics. Yes they would come up together but the better hub would be tops, or the hubber who carried more weight, or however it is judged. But there is no harm in that.

8. lukeuk profile image64
    lukeukposted 12 years ago

This might also be a good thing because of so called "overflow" traffic. The more articles this other user you mentioned makes, the more chance that you might get some of her traffic too if that makes sense ?

9. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

Any Klarawiecks out there I should know about? roll

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)