You better watch out because one day you will pay

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)
  1. sassydee profile image69
    sassydeeposted 12 years ago

i hated when my mom or a relative would tell me to be good and don't do this or that because one day when i have kids i will get my pay back!
    then i realized if this is sooo true then i wonder what my parents did or how bad they were, that they ended up with me?
    What do you think about this saying? My girls are somewhat like me but overall are pretty good so I beg to differ.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6002491_f248.jpg

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6002491_f248.jpg

2. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 12 years ago

I know a lady, (we'll call Gina), who had a baby when she was sixteen. Her mother ended up adopting the baby.

Then when Gina married and had more children, her sixteen year old had a baby and Gina ended up adopting it.

I think this was Karma or a very unusual and remarkable Coincidence

3. frugalfamily profile image72
    frugalfamilyposted 12 years ago

I so know what you mean. My father told me things he did when he was younger and I actually used it against him. I was mostly a goody two shoe but my parents thought I was the hardest teenager ever to handle..but I was the first.  My step-mother asked my daughter if she gives me hell because I "was such a hand-full." My daughter who is a perfect angel in every way (even at 18) spouted back, "Yeah, she's only had to pick me up from jail once though." Love that kid!

4. Dr. Haddox profile image61
    Dr. Haddoxposted 12 years ago

sassydee,
    How are you? Well I hope. Your forum topic is a very good one. Yes, I have heard the saying, surely. I tend to take your side, concerning "begging to differ." But most people will tend to agree with your mom, a relative, or others concerning the "pay back." This is like that saying, "what goes around comes around. We tend to hope for and expect the best however.
    Good luck with your girls as they tend to grow and to develop.
    Regards,
    Dr. Haddox

5. profile image0
    LillyGposted 12 years ago

I believe parents are cursing their children when they do this. My mother used to tell me that I will have kids 10 times worse than myself, and I wasn't that bad. I was just a normal kid. All three of my boys get into a lot of trouble, much more than I ever did and two of them are teens with a lot of argumentive attitude. I avoid saying anything like this to my kids because parenting is hard enough without someone speaking this into existence, without regard for the consequences it could bring.

6. New 2011 Mom profile image60
    New 2011 Momposted 12 years ago

My mom kept telling me the same thing over and over, but to be honest I wasn't really a "bad kid." So far my daughter isn't too bad, just a normal baby who gets her moments of being annoying every now and then. Now the stories of my mom that I have heard from my grandmother and my aunts were bad. Although there were 4 of them so I can see why. If anything my Mom got lucky if this saying were true. Personally, it made me feel bad about myself when she said things like that to me.

7. sassydee profile image69
    sassydeeposted 12 years ago

thanks i like all your thoughts on this forum i posted! good feed back

1. Dr. Haddox profile image61
      Dr. Haddoxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, sassydee. You work very hard on hubpages and your result shows. Writers such as you caused me to consider hubpages as my primary source for the promotion of my work. I am proud to be a member of the hubpages community because of those such as you. Keep up the good work, sassydee. Regards, Dr. Haddox.

8. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

My experience is sort of a variation on your theme, sassydee. No one ever told me to watch out and be good because one day when I had kids I would get my payback. Although that is exactly what happened!! My son is total mini-me to the 15th power. I never gave my parents the trouble he has given me!
    But... what I say to him now is not in a warning kind of way. It's more like "I know you can't understand how I feel now as your mother. But you will once you are a parent and you have your own kids. Only by becoming a parent can you  understand what I'm trying to tell you/show you right now or feel how I feel right now."

I also tell him that I there is an invisible ledger being kept of all the good things Mom does for him now. Because it won't be that long until he has to do good things for me -- like change MY diaper! lol

1. Dr. Haddox profile image61
      Dr. Haddoxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mighty Mom, yours is an interesting commit and it "reads true." It is well said and it will probably stay in the mind of your son. Thanks for sharing.
      Regards, Dr. Haddox

9. capricornrising profile image62
    capricornrisingposted 12 years ago

There are days I feel absolutely terrible for my parents having had to put up with me. :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)