Is Romney different from you and me?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

The classic F. Scott Fitzgerald novel The Great Gatsby contains the famous line, "The rich are different from you and me."
    Earnest Hemingway supposedly responded, "Yes, they have more money."
    I would add, along with opportunities the rank and file of the 99% don't even dare dream about.

Take, for example, this equally classic line from our own GOP frontrunner Mitt Romney. This was quote buried toward the end of an article about his quote (clearly taken out of context) about liking to fire people who provide services to him.
    Full text:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ele … _blog.html

Read this quote and tell me. Is it just me, or do most "entry level" jobseekers not start with an MBA? (Or even, for that matter, end up with one)???

"I think some people imagine, by the way, that I just went directly to the top positions in industry and in business, that I started off as vice chairman or chairman or CEO of Bain," Romney said."You probably know I started off actually at the entry level, coming out of graduate school in business, first at the Boston Consulting Group, worked there for a while."

Don't get me wrong. Some of my best friends have MBAs. They're not clueless like this, however. roll

2. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Like many of the rich, he likely has some psychopathic qualiities.  Funny part is, he's the most sane in the GOP field.

1. Moderndayslave profile image58
      Moderndayslaveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sane or plain, like white bread?

1. 910chris profile image75
        910chrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He just knows how to play the game the best. I knew he would be back when he suddenly left the race in 08. He was almost going pretty good with McCain, and all of a sudden he shut down his campaign. He looks the role and thats all most Americans need. It's like American Idol right now. He can make a 10,000 bet with Perry and no one hardly blinks. I did find this interesting tidbit when Mittens left in 08 that is interesting. Have a good one.
        http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23050678/ns … tial-race/

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Huntsmann is saner, in my opinion, than Romney. Too bad he didn't get traction. If I were a Republican I would be a Huntsmann supporter.

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't even consider him as part of the field smile

But I have read his website.  I'd never vote for him.

3. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 12 years ago

Definately a prime example of silver spoon heritage. Has no idea what the average American is going through.

Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

None.
      Even when he tries to relate, he ends up sounding elitist.
      That quote about "I like to fire people who provide services to me" is a prime example. He was not talking about gardeners or shoe shine boys or waitresses.
      He was actually talking about health insurance companies.
      Why, you ask?
      Apparently to further distance himself from Romneycare.
      But again, his view of the reality of America, that we can just go around firing our doctors and health insurers if we don't like them -- is out of touch.
      Sure, I'd love to fire Kaiser (my HMO).
      I fire them every night in my dreams!
      In reality, if I did that, I'd be hard pressed to find another carrier to take me.
      So do I REALLY have choice?
      Do most Americans, if they were to lose their job and have to shop for healthcare on the open market?
      Not hardly.

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I think, on the one hand, people are all different from other people; so there is no "you and me".  Then, on the other hand, I think in so many ways most people are the same; so there's often either "most of us" or "us".

As far as I'm concerned, all politicians are different me (because if they were like me they wouldn't be interested in running for office); so - I don't know.. - I don't even look for "same as me" in candidates.  hmm  I look for "least objectionable" among the other candidates.

5. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

You guys are hilarious!
    You never complained about Kerry and his millions!
    Obama is a millionaire.  So is Gore.
    Micheal Moore made his millions off the masses.
    Everyone thinks Warren Buffet and Bill Gates are saints because they say they should have to pay more in taxes.  You forget that they have billions more than Romney.
    All of you are millionaires in the eyes of the destitute here and abroad.

Romney was talking about entry level relative to his education.
    Yeah he is elitist, but then so is Obama.  He has little time for the 'little'people.  If we loved him he would just be able to pass all his legislation and we would be in paradise! Obama will spend more money on his reelection campaign than all of Romneys treasure.

Most of you here are trying to make money, but you would begrudge others the chance to do the same.  The amount is relative, so don't even go there.

At least Romney had to use his brains to make money and he isn't beholden to organized crime as Obama is.  After all, who do you think runs the unions that bankrolled his political career?.

Not saying Romney or any others are the greatest choice for President, but a monkey would be better than the one we have.  The monkey would be smarter, a better leader, and have more spine.

1. It is not about his money or how much money he has.
      2. It's about his complete dissociation with the common man. Could he not simply have gone back a job or two? Did he never work prior to business school??
      That's the hilarious thing. He doesn't even know how elitist he sounds.
      3. Kerry was lambasted for being elitist. Don't you remember the pictures of him windsurfing and how "horrible" that was? I guess it's always better to engage in a sport that uses up lots of GASOLINE.
      4. Romney is not beholden to organized crime like Obama. Well, he sure as hell is not bankrolling his own campaign. Think for just a moment about a large, well funded organization to which Mr. Romney has an affiliation (although he downplays it). Hint: This same organization almost single-handedly struck down the law in CA that allowed gay couples to marriage.
      Still don't know who I mean?
      It's a church.
      Frankly, I'm a bit surprised the Evangelical Right is not hugely up in arms about that one. I mean, isn't there still some question about whether Mormons are Christian? And there's always the spectre of polygamy.
      Santorum better get on the stick if he wants to rile up his base. Yessir.
      But it's not my business/problem.

1. 910chris profile image75
        910chrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Extremely well put!

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
          Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mighty Mom,
          The disconnect between the rich and the way regular people have to live bothers me a lot too. I began work in a bank after HS, and finally found a better job in a large accounting company. It was an entry level job, and I had to be competitive whenever they hired from within (and when they did) After a few promotions, I got married, and have chronic back issues. It makes me look unreliable, when I'm not. That's why our generation made sure our kids had degrees, but now they may not have jobs. My son is a teacher, out of college since 1/11, and has a steady sub job in a close town, so I think he'll get hired, there was a position he applied for last week. But schools are very political, and I know the competition for one job will be fierce. The tarot reading is looking good, he graduated Summa Cum Laude and has a long history of volunteerism. But he worked his ass off, and for a job that will probably pay about $45K a year, not even as much as his education. And in NJ we have Chris Christie, who hates Unions and teachers. Romney looks the part, and I think Obama will beat him, not that this is great, but nobody can play politics unless they are rich. We tried at the local level, and I was the Club Treasurer. We got offers for bribes, and all kinds of stuff, over a Council seat! So if corruption starts at the lowest level of gov't. (we didn't give in, but we lost) what hope is there?

6. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Like many political elite in both parties, Mitt came from a privileged background... being the son of a former CRO and former Governor...

That doesnt make him a bad choice for the job of President, but that is not typical of most common folk.

7. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

Well, we do wear different underwear.  There are probably other things.

He's probably a Pats fan, too.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OMG

Now I f-ing hate him.

8. MissE profile image77
    MissEposted 12 years ago

So........if someone got an education and made his way into politics somehow with little or no money.....was a total common, everyday Joe you'd vote for him.....to run a COUNTRY?  We all come from different backgrounds.  It isn't where you came from that makes you who you are.  Hopefully it's what you do.  How you act.

1. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amen MissE, Amen.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

Well said.
      Having money or coming from money isn't necessarily a bad thing! Isn't that what America is all about? The land of (financial) opportunity?
      JFK came from a privileged background. But that is not who he was. He and his brother RFK were the opposite of elitists.
      George W. Bush comes from an elite family and elite schooling. But he is anything but elitist. His dad was accused of being out of touch with the middle (and lower) class. W was out of touch... nevermind. Not on the topic.

Romney just seems ill-at-ease in every situation. It's not that he doesn't have good credentials, schooling, business and governorship. It's just that he can't seem to brand himself. Who IS this guy? What does he really stand for? Anything? Trashing Obama will only get him so far. He has to have a positive plan that shows us how he would lead America out of this economy.
      Still waiting....

9. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

being rich and all

"β€œIt is not the consciousness of men that determines their being, but, on the contrary, their social being that determines their consciousness.” – by Karl Marx, Preface of A Contribution to the Critique of Political Economy

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)